PDA

View Full Version : The Tarrasque

Amiel
2010-11-15, 02:17 AM
"That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die"

Colossal Magical Beast (Abomination)
Hit Dice: 30d10+450 (750 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 60 ft.
Armor Class: 45 (-8 size, +3 Dex, +40 natural), touch 5, flat-footed 42
Base Attack/Grapple: +30/+63
Attack: Bite +43 melee (8d6+17 + Fort DC 42 or death/15-20/×3)
Full Attack: Bite +43 melee (8d6+17 + Fort DC 42 or death/15-20/×3) and 2 gores +43 melee (8d6+8 + Fort DC 42 or death/15-20/×3) and 2 claws +43 melee (4d8+8 + Fort DC 42 or death/15-20/×3) and tail slap +43 melee (4d8+8 + Fort DC 42 or death/15-20/×3)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, dire charge, frightful presence (300 ft.), improved grab, ruinous strikes, spellcasting harrier, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Abomination traits, blindsight (500 ft.), carapace, damage reduction 15/epic, gravity well, obscure perception, regeneration 40, resistance to acid 20 and sonic 20, scent, spell resistance 36, true seeing
Saves: Fort +32, Ref +20, Will +17
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 16, Con 40, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Acrobatics +20, Perception +36, Survival +33
Feats: Awesome Blow, Bleeding Critical, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Critical Focus, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (all), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Run, Snatch, Staggering Critical, Stunning Critical, Track
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 20
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 31+ HD (Colossal)

Between the twinkling stars, a dark tapestry is weaved of loss and cold. Within its immutable fabric loathe vistas and creatures no mortal was ever meant to see. The only solace offered confined within the intangible bars of an unbreachable prison.

Yet, occasionally, whether through experimentation or deliberate acts, creatures vomit forth to sow chaos and to feed; supping eagerly upon the succulent morsels of mortal souls.

The tarrasque, the living engine of destruction, is one such entity.

Abomination Traits (Ex) The tarrasque is immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any form-altering attack. It is not subject to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage. It is immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, and morale effects), and is immune to cold and fire. The tarrasque is not subject to death from massive damage, and has maximum hit points per Hit Dice. The tarrasque does not need to eat, sleep or breathe.

Augmented Critical (Ex) The tarrasque's natural weapons threaten a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 15-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit. In addition, the creature must make a Fortitude save DC 42 or die instantly. The save DC is Strength-based.

Carapace (Ex) The tarrasque's armorlike carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective, deflecting all rays, lines, cones, and magic missile spells. There is a 30% chance of reflecting any such effect back at the caster; otherwise, it is merely negated.

Dire Charge (Ex) Once per 1d6 rounds, the tarrasque may charge a foe, making a full attack against the opponent charged.

Frightful Presence (Su) The tarrasque can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 27 Will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 300 feet of the tarrasque. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Gravity Well (Su) The tarrasque can radiate a 300-ft. aura of heavy gravity as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a Fort 40 DC save or immediately start plummeting towards the ground. This effect causes the creature to take 10d6 falling damage as its body is pummeled by a crushing weight.

Additionally, ranged attacks and even movement is slowed within the presence of the tarrasque. Creatures flying within and ranged attacks launched into this heavy gravity well must succeed on a DC 30 Str or be immediately forced earthward. Flyers take half falling damage, while ranged attacks deal the lowest possible damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Obscure Perception (Su)The tarrasque resists detection, and is treated as if affected by a nondetection spell of 20th level.

Regeneration (Ex) No form of attack deals lethal damage to the tarrasque. The tarrasque regenerates even if it fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If the tarrasque fails its save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly, the tarrasque may regenerate to 1 hp 3 rounds later.

The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 760 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

Ruinous Strikes (Ex) The natural weapons of the tarrasque penetrate all forms of damage reduction.

Skills The tarrasque has a +8 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Perception checks.

Spellcasting Harrier (Ex) Any spellcaster the tarrasque threatens in melee provokes an attack of opportunity if the spellcaster tries to cast defensively. The tarrasque benefits from a +8 bonus on this attack roll.

NineThePuma
2010-11-15, 02:42 AM
Not usre I like the change to "pointless creature of destruction, intended to kill everything, ever" but... it looks pretty awesome ^^

Amiel
2010-11-15, 03:42 AM
Thank you :)
Hopefully its less of a pointless creature and more of an "intend and follow through to kill everything" creature; less of an all round class cannon, and establishes the tarraque as a respectable challenge.

Dumbledore lives
2010-11-15, 03:54 AM
The only problem I see with this, and I do like it, is that it still doesn't have a ranged attack, so flight is still a weakness. I suppose the regeneration does make it effectively unkillable, but a wizard could just spam orbs while flying above it, especially with the terrible touch AC.

You could give it the Pathfinder thing of shooting spikes or something, that combined with blind-sight will help against flying invis wizards.

NineThePuma
2010-11-15, 03:56 AM
Yes, because Flying Invis Wizards with an item that grants Darkstalker isn't impossible =P

I've always been a weird one about the Tarrasque. To me he's more like Godzilla; destroyer and protector. But that's just me.

Amiel
2010-11-15, 03:59 AM
The only problem I see with this, and I do like it, is that it still doesn't have a ranged attack, so flight is still a weakness. I suppose the regeneration does make it effectively unkillable, but a wizard could just spam orbs while flying above it, especially with the terrible touch AC.

You could give it the Pathfinder thing of shooting spikes or something, that combined with blind-sight will help against flying invis wizards.

Yes, because Flying Invis Wizards with an item that grants Darkstalker isn't impossible =P

I've always been a weird one about the Tarrasque. To me he's more like Godzilla; destroyer and protector. But that's just me.

Thank you, Dumbledore lives :)
You make a very good point, and it is a glaring weakness for the poor tarrasque. I was initially thinking of giving the tarrasque a gravity well salient ability. Akin to an inverted reverse gravity effect centred upon a certain radius emanating outwards from the tarrasque, this will cause fliers to submit to the tarrasque, and fight it upon the ground.
What do you think?

I like the idea of the tarrasque being a protector as well; one who obliterates so that new growth can emerge and an area can regenerate.

Gravity Well (Su): The tarrasque can radiate a 300-ft. aura of heavy gravity as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a Fort 40 DC save or immediately start plummeting towards the ground; this otherwise causes no damage to the creature. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same tarrasque's aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based.

vasharanpaladin
2010-11-15, 04:33 PM
Thank you, Dumbledore lives :)
You make a very good point, and it is a glaring weakness for the poor tarrasque. I was initially thinking of giving the tarrasque a gravity well salient ability. Akin to an inverted reverse gravity effect centred upon a certain radius emanating outwards from the tarrasque, this will cause fliers to submit to the tarrasque, and fight it upon the ground.
What do you think?

I like the idea of the tarrasque being a protector as well; one who obliterates so that new growth can emerge and an area can regenerate.

Gravity Well (Su): The tarrasque can radiate a 300-ft. aura of heavy gravity as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a Fort 40 DC save or immediately start plummeting towards the ground; this otherwise causes no damage to the creature. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same tarrasque's aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based.

The 4e version has something like that. Basically a "you stay where I can reach you, no save" aura. :smalltongue:

Amiel
2010-11-16, 01:34 AM
The 4e version has something like that. Basically a "you stay where I can reach you, no save" aura. :smalltongue:

That's pretty excellent; it almost guarantees the tarrasque as a formidable opponent and not the piddling challenge it was previously (which may mean I can reinstate the wish effect to kill the tarrasque clause).

~Nye~
2010-11-16, 02:12 AM
I like :D
I'm imagining how the effect of gravity well would look :) Must use!

Amiel
2010-11-17, 12:40 AM
Thank you! :D
Please do tell me how combat with the thing goes; just looking at the numbers, I'm thinking this tarrasque may be a tad overpowered.

Well, this tarrasque also has true seeing, an ability that pierces the obfuscating cloak of invisibility :).

EDIT: Re-added wish effect to kill clause.
Added the gravity well salient ability.

Eldan
2010-11-17, 08:00 AM
Actually, I'd have no qualms about making the gravity aura even stronger.

How about, for additional effects:

Creatures take half falling damage if they fly (I don't think it's overpowered. This is level 20).
Creatures in the area are slowed if they fail a save, even on the ground (it's high gravity, after all. And helps a lot against kiting tactics).

Edit: and keeping the spirit of "eternal lie": how about:

"The tarrasque can never be truly killed. However, raising by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 760 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell, it's form can be completely destroyed, after which it takes a thousand years and a day for it to reform."

Amiel
2010-11-18, 02:57 AM
Those are some pretty excellent suggestions :)

I also actually wouldn't mind having the creature taking the full allotted falling damage from on high if it fails the save. This will serve to cement the tarrasque as an entity not to be trifled with.

Zeta Kai
2010-11-18, 03:37 PM
You know, the Gravity Well ability implies (but does not outright state) that there should be a negation of ranged attacks within the radius of its effect. That would be another advantage for the Big T, whose main problem is vulnerability to projectiles. I would add that in, to make it explicit. No pelting the Big T with arrows, because your arrows cannot reach him. :smallamused:

Eldan
2010-11-18, 03:43 PM
Hmm. Perhaps not outright negate... how about massively decreasing range increments?

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-18, 04:15 PM
I don't think the immunity on a passed save is a good idea in Gravity well. This isn't ar particular kind of mental 'key' that they're using, it's physics.

If you really want it to be possible to fly in it, allow it only if the flier has a minium strength or minimum spell level based on whether it's a natural or magical effect [it seems reasonable that one could use a Heightened Fly spell to zoom around but being immune TODAY?

Eldan
2010-11-18, 04:17 PM
Hmm. True. Make it a strength check instead of a save, with a sufficiently high DC. Pathetic little wizards should crash, not dragons.

Andion Isurand
2010-11-20, 03:38 AM
Reaving Strikes (Ex) The tarrasque's natural weapons ignore damage reduction that can be overcome by any metallic material such as silver, cold iron, or adamantine.

Reign of Chaos (Ex) Any foe that begins a turn in the area the Tarrasque threatens treats all the squares that it threatens as difficult terrain (movement costs are doubled in those squares).

Rend (Ex) If the tarrrasque hits a single target with both claw attacks as part of a full attack action, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 8d8+25 points of damage.

Amiel
2010-11-21, 08:33 AM
You know, the Gravity Well ability implies (but does not outright state) that there should be a negation of ranged attacks within the radius of its effect. That would be another advantage for the Big T, whose main problem is vulnerability to projectiles. I would add that in, to make it explicit. No pelting the Big T with arrows, because your arrows cannot reach him. :smallamused:

Hmm. Perhaps not outright negate... how about massively decreasing range increments?

I don't think the immunity on a passed save is a good idea in Gravity well. This isn't ar particular kind of mental 'key' that they're using, it's physics.

If you really want it to be possible to fly in it, allow it only if the flier has a minium strength or minimum spell level based on whether it's a natural or magical effect [it seems reasonable that one could use a Heightened Fly spell to zoom around but being immune TODAY?

Hmm. True. Make it a strength check instead of a save, with a sufficiently high DC. Pathetic little wizards should crash, not dragons.

Those are all pretty excellent suggestions :)

Zeta, are you thinking of having the gravity well mimic the effects of an "epic" protection from arrows spell? Or something far more devious? :D

Zeta and Eldan, what are your thoughts on having the gravity well suppress ranged distance increments of a certain distance while negating those attacks within a, say, 50 ft. radius?
So, like Eldan suggests, massively decreasing range increments projecting from a distance 50 ft. outwards while negating those attacks within 50 feet.

Or would that be rather a bit too complicated?

Definitely a good point about the making a Strength check to fly within the radius, Mulletmanalive and Eldan. I'd like to keep the Fort DC if that's all possible, and I'll definitely get rid of the immunity clause.
How about a similar Str check (since the number will be keyed off the tarrasque's Con) to fly within the radius of the gravity well?

Eldan
2010-11-21, 08:48 AM
DC 40 seems to high: you'd need a +30 strength bonus to have a 50% chance of making it (a 70 strength score!) and a +20 to even have a chance (a 50 strength score, more than the tarrasque itself).

Amiel
2010-11-21, 09:30 AM
DC 40 seems to high: you'd need a +30 strength bonus to have a 50% chance of making it (a 70 strength score!) and a +20 to even have a chance (a 50 strength score, more than the tarrasque itself).

That is an excellent point! I will definitely change it. Perhaps it should be a Str DC 20 instead? So, you're need a +30 and a +10 Str bonus respectively? :)

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-21, 01:03 PM
Well, a DC of 10 + Con would henge out wizards completely but allow dragons to operate most of the time.[DC 25]

NineThePuma
2010-11-21, 03:02 PM
What about giving it the abilities from an Epic Destiny or two? Weapon of Ragnarok fits quite nicely.

Amiel
2010-11-22, 06:33 AM
Reaving Strikes (Ex) The tarrasque's natural weapons ignore damage reduction that can be overcome by any metallic material such as silver, cold iron, or adamantine.

Reign of Chaos (Ex) Any foe that begins a turn in the area the Tarrasque threatens treats all the squares that it threatens as difficult terrain (movement costs are doubled in those squares).

Rend (Ex) If the tarrrasque hits a single target with both claw attacks as part of a full attack action, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 8d8+25 points of damage.

Some nice ideas, Andion :)

I was actually tossing up the idea of "enchanting" the natural attacks of the tarrasque with the bane enhancement; alternatively, I also thought said magical property may be a bit much.

Rend is a good idea.

Well, a DC of 10 + Con would henge out wizards completely but allow dragons to operate most of the time.[DC 25]
Perhaps a combined Con DC and Str DC effect? That'd really put a downer on most entities.

What about giving it the abilities from an Epic Destiny or two? Weapon of Ragnarok fits quite nicely.
I would definitely like to possibly include some of those abilities, if only I knew where Wizards consigned that article to :smalltongue:

Amiel
2010-12-08, 07:39 AM
Now with fresh updates :)

Alas it seems that Wizards has deleted that article; I'm a sad panda.

Eldan
2010-12-08, 07:47 AM
Gravity well seems to be worded a bit awkwardly:

First of all, you should link the wording to the slow spell. As it is, one could mistake that part for a mere description.
Second, why have two mechanisms for forcing flyers down? Do they have to make fort saves and strength checks each round? Is the fortitude save just once?
Third: the wording sounds like ranged weapons have to make strength checks, which makes little sense.

Ziegander
2010-12-08, 03:43 PM
The easiest solution would be say that the range increment of any ranged weapon is reduced by 100ft. Then, since I don't think spell or spell-like ranged touch attacks have range increments, just include that their range is lowered by 100ft (or to be more extreme you could say that spells and spell-like abilities targeting the Terrasque have their ranges decreased as if their Caster Level were a number less equal to the Terrasque's Constitution modifier or something). Finally, for, say a Dagger, just reducing its increment by 100ft lowers it to 0ft, which is only a -1 penalty if they throw within 10ft, add in the clause that this ability can effectively lower a weapon's range increment into the negatives, so that at 10ft, with a negative increment, a Dagger would take a -9 penalty to attack rolls.