PDA

View Full Version : Good PrCs for a Wizard/Cleric Theurge..

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-15, 08:42 AM
I am going to be using a fixed version of the Mystic Theurge from the playground itself that has a capstone power which allows all classes that advance arcane or divine to advance arcane AND divine just like the mystic theurge. Thus after 10 levels of MT and the 3 levels of wizard and 1 level of cleric, I am looking for two PrCs to take to get me up to level 27. I was thinking about using a few classes from D&D wiki but I want to know what options Wizards put out there as well. Mainly because most PrCs I know advance strictly arcane or strictly divine and not one or the other.

So, dose anybody have any interesting ideas for me? Also, while not necessary, a necromancy focused PrC would be great. Homebrew is also usable.

Last Laugh
2010-11-15, 08:50 AM
Anima Mage from Tome of Magic would give you uses of free metamagic. with the theurge cap it would advance binding, divine, and arcane. Ordained champion from CChamp gives you many uses for your swift actions and your turn attempts. it lets you cast divine might as a swift action, use wisdom for combat, and several other goodies.

Anima mage would only take 1 binder level and 2 feats. or 3 binder levels.

Myth
2010-11-15, 09:00 AM
You got both Divine and Arcane? Squeeze in some Dweomerkeepr!

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-15, 09:03 AM
Yeah, Anima Mage dose not work. It advances arcane only. that MT capstone allows you to use PrCs that can advance arcane OR divine but not classes which can only advance arcane(or arcane + binding) or only divine. Basically any class that levels up "1 existing spellcasting class" or " 1 existing arcane or divine spellcasting class" per level is what I am looking for and Anima mage is Arcane/Binder not Arcane OR Divine/binder. Thus, it dose not work with that capstone.

Psyren
2010-11-15, 09:10 AM
Yeah, Anima Mage dose not work. It advances arcane only.

Actually, there's an adaptation for Anima Mage that makes it eligible for divine classes. (ToM pg. 53.)

Other either/or PrCs include Loremaster, Divine Oracle, and Celestial Mystic. Any PrC that could work for Shadowcaster (that doesn't specify mysteries) should work here too.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-15, 09:23 AM
I am aware of that adaptation but I never knew it made it qualify as an "either/or." Personally I assumed it was more or less a variant class of Anima Mage rather then actually making the Anima Mage an either/or. I also have found a good class for what I am looking to do on D&D wiki, though if anima mage dose in fact count as an either/or it would be fun to try out

FMArthur
2010-11-15, 09:32 AM
The Geomancer from Complete Divine (p41) would be great for your character. You can be completely SAD, cast your arcane spells in armor, cast the better version of a spell from either wizard or cleric slots if it's on both lists, spontaneously convert wizard spells to heal spells, and a few other tricks. The Drift class feature changes your physical characteristics but they give benefits in exchange. Check it out.

Fouredged Sword
2010-11-15, 09:35 AM
Nothing a nice hat wouldn't fix. (you know the hat I speak of)

FMArthur
2010-11-15, 09:38 AM
The Hat of All of a Changeling's Racial Benefits?

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-15, 09:39 AM
Anima Mage from Tome of Magic would give you uses of free metamagic. with the theurge cap it would advance binding, divine, and arcane. Ordained champion from CChamp gives you many uses for your swift actions and your turn attempts. it lets you cast divine might as a swift action, use wisdom for combat, and several other goodies.

Anima mage would only take 1 binder level and 2 feats. or 3 binder levels.

It's my Theurge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166217), and the capstone is designed to prevent people from doing just that. You can still take levels in other theurge-y classes if you like, but you have to take the normal advancement, rather than the MT's special one.

Personally I'd say you could never go wrong with some Archmage (especially my version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9635372#post9635372) :smallwink:)[/shameless self promotion]

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-15, 09:42 AM
Being SAD is of no issue to this build since Kobald's MT class fix makes you SAD. The class has an entry like that of ultimate magus(able to cast 2nd level arcane and 1st level divine or 2nd level divine 1st arcane.) so I will only need, at most, 11 wisdom to qualify and then at my 1st MT level I chose int to be my casting stat for both classes. Since I am planing on using 3 wizard/1 cleric as entry.)

Also, it appears I read the capstone wrong. I had read the capstone as making classes which leveled up either/or arcane and divine(not both as a theurge) as being what advanced spellcasting. I did not know that it also applied to arcane exclusive CL advancing classes or divine exclusive CL advancing classes. In that case I have a LOT more options then I first thought.

Mongoose87
2010-11-15, 10:17 AM
The Geomancer from Complete Divine (p41) would be great for your character.

Now, those are some words i never expected to hear from an experienced poster, on this board. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2010-11-15, 10:54 AM
Now, those are some words i never expected to hear from an experienced poster, on this board. :smallbiggrin:

The magic of homebrew - standard op goes out the window :smallamused:

Fouredged Sword
2010-11-15, 12:26 PM
It's really not that bad of a class. Yes, it losses casting levels to your primary casting class. That is bad. The rest of the class isn't to bad though. Gaining immunity to acrane spell failure and other fringe benifits to casting are nice. Best when mixed with archivest as a cohort so you can prepare divine versions of all the spells on the wizard spell list and give them to your archivest main character.

Really in this case it works out well and allows your character to be more integrated in useing all of his abilities. It's not crazy optimised, but this is a thurge build to begin with. Not a bad one, but not the most optimised build to begin with.

Besides - it sounds like a epic game. Kiss your balance goodbye.

Last Laugh
2010-11-15, 12:42 PM
It's my Theurge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166217), and the capstone is designed to prevent people from doing just that. You can still take levels in other theurge-y classes if you like, but you have to take the normal advancement, rather than the MT's special one.

Personally I'd say you could never go wrong with some Archmage (especially my version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9635372#post9635372) :smallwink:)[/shameless self promotion]
Mybad, I've been on this huge anima mage kick lately, It just seems like an awesome class that I've never gotten to play :(

Psyren
2010-11-15, 01:15 PM
It's not like you need arcane AND divine AND binding anyway :smalltongue:

Hell, if you really want all three, be a divine Anima Mage, go in with Archivist and finish up with Tenebrous Apostate. Learn every spell in the game via the usual tricks.

FMArthur
2010-11-15, 01:18 PM
Geomancer isn't even all that horrible in even ordinary play if you aim for early entry and don't try to get equal casting on both sides.

A Cleric 1 / Wizard 2 / Geomancer 10 is a thirteenth-level character who casts as a twelfth-level Wizard, can cast in any kind of armor, can convert his arcane spells into healing spells (a healbot arcanist is an oddly sought-after concept that doesn't have much to support it), and gains a host of nonmagical animal-like abilities including blindsense, tremorsense, wings, Diehard, and a variety of other minor abilities, natural attacks, and skill bonuses - it's small at that level, but a permanent, nonmagical Alter Self that you personally customize is not bad by any means. He also has better hit dice, Fortitude Saves, BAB, and skill points. He paid 1 caster level for it; not a universally better trade, but not such a bad one either if you ask me.