PDA

View Full Version : 2e Druid Build Help

kylehood85
2010-11-15, 03:03 PM
I am curious on the best way to build a good 2e (yes I said 2e) druid. I know I can make them useful, but the question remains how to do it.

El Dorado
2010-11-15, 04:29 PM
Is your group using any of Player's Option books? Are you looking at a particular kit? 2E's not nearly as customizable as 3E.

Matthew
2010-11-15, 05:10 PM
AD&D/2e is not really designed for building characters out of the gate, so under the basic paradigm anything you choose will usually be fine, though assigning attribute scores will have the largest impact. If you are using non-weapon proficiencies then some choices are better than others depending on the game campaign, and the same goes for kits. It all depends on the optional rules that the game master is using.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-16, 12:24 PM
As mentioned, a lot is going to come down to the optional rules your DM is using, and what you want to accomplish. I generally find that druids are well-rounded party members, but ones without huge customization options. Some tips:

1) Use Animal Friendship on domesticated animals. They're easier to bring into town with you than wolves or badgers, and are frequently of the same caliber. Especially important at lower levels.

2) Mix of weapons. You have 2 WP. I would suggest that you start with sling and scimitar as the "optimal" choices, but if you're planning to turn yourself into light cavalry (which is VERY doable with a low-level druid), a spear is a better option than a sling. However, the existence of Shillelagh makes club or quarterstaff good choices, as well.

3) Learn your spells. The druid is, IMO, the closest thing to a single-class combat mage as you'll find, able to mix armor and weapons and spells. By 3rd level, it's nice to have a scimitar proficiency to take advantage of Flame Blade, but you can do a lot with what you have.

hamlet
2010-11-16, 02:06 PM
3) Learn your spells. The druid is, IMO, the closest thing to a single-class combat mage as you'll find, able to mix armor and weapons and spells. By 3rd level, it's nice to have a scimitar proficiency to take advantage of Flame Blade, but you can do a lot with what you have.

This is definately great advice. Know your spells like the back of your hand, and know how to adapt them.

Also, if you're using other sources, you might look for spells in other books that you can bring in to cover for some of the Druid's "blind spot" of power against the undead. Moon Blade springs to mind as a very viable spell IIRC that druids can get hold of at about 7th level. Makes kindling of most undead.

Also, and this is less about optimization and more about organization, identify common animals that you're likely to shift to once you hit 7th level and put their stats down on alternate character sheets to have them in your hands at all times. Simply knowing what you're capable of at a glance can help you be more effective on the spot, and druids are capable of a lot of varied things compared to some of the more focused classes.