PDA

View Full Version : Eidolons and their Evolutions points (Pathfinder)

dman971
2010-11-15, 03:32 PM
Okay so I'm attemtping to create a summoner and i'm plotting out my eidolon. . . here's my questions

Evolutions:
Each eidolon receives a number of evolution points that can be spent to give the eidolon new abilities, powers, and other upgrades. These abilities, called evolutions, can be changed whenever the summoner gains a new level, but they are otherwise set. . . . Evolutions are grouped by their cost in evolution points. Evolution points cannot be saved. All of the points must be spent whenever the summoner gains a level. Unless otherwise noted, each evolution can only be selected once.

My question is this: Can I stack up the points, and hold onto the points until I have enough points for the evolution that I want? Or do I have to obtain evolutions as I come across them?
I see that there are 1-4 point evolutions. Example: To make an Eidolon "LARGE" size, you spend 4 points. But then it says for another 6 points, you can make the Eidolon "HUGE".

How do I do this?

Arutema
2010-11-15, 04:01 PM
You can't leave points un-spent, but you can shuffle them around every time you gain a Summoner level. To quote:

Evolution Pool: The value given in this column is the total number of points in the eidolon’s evolution pool. Points from this pool can be spent on a wide variety of modifications and upgrades that add new abilities, attacks, and powers to the eidolon. Whenever the summoner gains a level, the number in this pool increases and the summoner can spend these points to change the abilities of the eidolon. These choices are not set. The summoner can change them whenever he gains a level (and through the transmogrify spell).

dman971
2010-11-16, 12:47 AM
You can't leave points un-spent, but you can shuffle them around every time you gain a Summoner level. To quote:

Thanks! :smallsmile:

Ziegander
2010-11-16, 12:55 AM
Quick question: I don't play Pathfinder, but are the Summoner and it's Eidolon as cool as they appear to be (I do have the preview file and I have looked at the class)?

DukeofDellot
2010-11-16, 01:03 AM
I've seen it in play, one of my players was one, and I used one as a boss fight.

I would say yes, it's pretty cool, though admittedly the funnest thing to do with them is make sure every "Summon Monster" spell is on your spell list, and summon a monster each and every round to supplement your Eidolon's forward assault... at least in boss fights and other Full Throttle battles.

Otherwise when he played I saw a lot of "I buff the Eidolon, she attacks." and "I heal the Eidolon, she attacks."

It also has a good number of openings for interesting role-playing situations... except that this player really doesn't role-play much.

Bugbeartrap
2010-11-16, 01:07 AM
My friend who's playing one loves it, however he feels more like he's playing the eidolon with an attached human. To combat this, try to come up with a role for your character like maybe mounted combat to make sure you have something to do. Also, come up with some solid fluff for what your eidolon is and what it means to your summoner.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-16, 12:13 PM
My friend who's playing one loves it, however he feels more like he's playing the eidolon with an attached human. To combat this, try to come up with a role for your character like maybe mounted combat to make sure you have something to do. Also, come up with some solid fluff for what your eidolon is and what it means to your summoner.

This was something we ran into, as well, to the point where we could remember the name of the Eidolon (Tulio), but not the caster (Ezio, I believe).

Tech Boy
2010-11-16, 08:47 PM
Not that it really pertains to this conversation, but I just made a summoner for a campaign and I love playing the class. The ability to summon expendable creatures and send them to their doom while staying out of combat is just awesome.

It allows for major role play and skill focus rather than the combat aspect of playing.