PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! I GMed for the Chatty DM!

Totally Guy
2010-11-15, 03:50 PM
And I didn't even know it was him!

I went to a gaming convention over in New York to meet up with some people from another forum. I decided to run a game to widen my horizons, learn some new things, learn how other people roleplay... etc etc.

Because I'm so very English and I kind of conform to most of the stereotypes I decided that I'd run a Harry Potter inspired dungeon crawl.

Unbeknownst to me one of my players was Chatty DM (http://critical-hits.com/category/critical-hits/chattydm/) whose D&D musing I'd read many times before.

Imagine my surprise when someone linked me to the story on his blog!

Harvey Pewter and the Burning Frog

I hung in the back to let the official con goers join their games of choice, I was an unofficial guest who was running a game in the afternoon. I finally joined a Burning Wheel game of whose Game Master, a swell guy named Guy, had flown from Britain to attend the con. Guy’s game was set in the Frogwarts School of Magic, where Harvey Pewter, his friends and (junior) professor Falderal teamed up to find the whereabouts of Professor Mallowick, the Defense against the Dark Arts teacher somewhere in the secret dungeons of House Snakejaw.

Yeah, I found that funny too…

This game was a hilarious classic dungeon crawl. The game was enhanced by Guy’s low British-accented voice and his absolutely maddening MC Escher dungeon structure that, while giving the illusion that we had too many paths to explore, eventually lead to the same areas, but from vastly unexpected directions.

Best moment: I’m squaring off against the Draco Malfoy equivalent while his goon is trying to send Lucy LeSud (i.e. Hermione) down a well by cutting the cord she’s holding on to with a rusted shovel. As I realize that my opponent is way more competent at fisticuff than I am, I use my only spell named “Call of Iron”, point toward the Well and shout

“Accio Shovel!”

It failed miserably… so I had to run around the cave like a Benny Hill skit to distract Malfoy while Randall was shredding the Professor Snape-equivalent into comatose hamburgers. We got out scotts free because we managed to pin the death of the assistant professor PC (he failed a Sorcery roll very badly, dying on the spot) on Snape.

Yay!

I loved that dungeon. The idea was that failing to obstacles in one place would bring you to the next place from a different direction... Here's my map.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/Frogwarts.jpg

valadil
2010-11-15, 03:53 PM
Neat! Both GMing for someone I've heard of and for the dungeon.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-15, 08:03 PM
I like your dungeon design!

Starbuck_II
2010-11-15, 08:26 PM
I like your adventure.