PDA

View Full Version : Does Death Ward also stop the spell Implosion?

Dark Kerman
2010-11-15, 04:22 PM
Does Death Ward also stop the spell Implosion?

This is a question I have wondered, as Death Ward does stop death effects, but Implosion is an evocation spell, that works by internal rupture, and not by direct magic on flesh.:smallconfused:

sonofzeal
2010-11-15, 04:23 PM

This is a question I have wondered, as Death Ward does stop death effects, but Implosion is an evocation spell, that works by internal rupture, and not by direct magic on flesh.:smallconfused:
Implosion does not have the [Death] tag.

Yora
2010-11-15, 04:23 PM
It does not have the [Death] descriptor or is reffered to as a death effect, so it isn't.

Urpriest
2010-11-15, 04:24 PM

"death effects" means effects with the [Death] descriptor. Implosion lacks said descriptor and is thus not stopped by Death Ward.

ericgrau
2010-11-15, 04:29 PM
Must be why implosion is a 9th level spell. Rarely is a save or die exactly that; there are often a dozen ways around it even if you fail the save. Incorporeal and gaseous creatures thwart implosion, but for a creature to become one of those when he isn't one already is impractical.

Eldariel
2010-11-15, 04:30 PM
Must be why implosion is a 9th level spell. Rarely is a save or die exactly that; there are often a dozen ways around it even if you fail the save. Incorporeal and gaseous creatures thwart implosion, but for a creature to become one of those when he isn't one already is impractical.

Well, there's always Shapechange...

Myth
2010-11-15, 04:53 PM
I'd rather optimize Baleful Polymorph though. I mean if i go the SoD way. Or Disintegrate for the coolness factor.

Runestar
2010-11-15, 04:58 PM
Implosion also lets you use it on up to 4 foes over the course of the battle, so it can be fairly efficient, making it situationally better than finger of death. While slower than wail of the banshee (which can be negated by death ward or silence), it is impossible to stop barring high fort saves.

Clerics also don't really get a lot of SoDs, so it is a rather solid spell in that aspect. :smallsmile:

Myth
2010-11-15, 05:49 PM
If there's more than one enemy that you need to instant kill in that encounter I'd say you have other things to worry about instead of spell slot economy.

Warlawk
2010-11-15, 06:38 PM
If there's more than one enemy that you need to instant kill in that encounter I'd say you have other things to worry about instead of spell slot economy.

But really, with a spell like implosion it's not that you need to cast it so much as you sit around rubbing your hands together cackling quietly to yourself, just waiting for a good chance to do so!

Myth
2010-11-15, 07:12 PM
But really, with a spell like implosion it's not that you need to cast it so much as you sit around rubbing your hands together cackling quietly to yourself, just waiting for a good chance to do so!

I always wanted to cast Meteor Swarm over a large "army" of level 1 Warriors. That would make me react the same way, plus a copious amount of drool.

Dark Kerman
2010-11-16, 09:35 AM
I once spent an hour discussing various uses of Polymorph any object, including using it as a death spell, and my one freind rather worryingly using it by turning someone into dust then putting them in two seperate jars... *shudder*

Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it. :)

Eldan
2010-11-16, 09:43 AM
I always wanted to cast Meteor Swarm over a large "army" of level 1 Warriors. That would make me react the same way, plus a copious amount of drool.

See, in that case, I'd cast Storm of Vengeance. It's not good for anything else, but very good at killing large armies.

Radar
2010-11-16, 10:02 AM
Something like this (http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=300)? Sure it's not optimal, but there are moments in wizards life, when he just needs to blow something up.