PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good non-core cleric spells?

aboyd
2010-11-15, 05:00 PM
So my cleric is about to level up, and I'm getting more slots for the lower spells. And while I know clerics can always use any spells they wish, it nonetheless got me thinking about what good unusual spells I might want now that I can have more.

So I ask you: outside of the Player's Handbook & SRD, what are some good cleric spells at 5th level and below? I'm not looking for merely their names & sourcebook (although that's a start) but why you find the spell useful. Can you explain a situation that it is handy for? These spells could be from the Spell Compendium, PHB2, etc.

SurlySeraph
2010-11-15, 05:37 PM
Spell Compendium:
Divine Agility. +10 to Dexterity. The Rogue will love you forever.
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. Excellent combat buff, as it gives an extra attack and +3 to attack and damage.
Greater Resistance. +4 on all saves for 24 hours, for a 4th-level spell.
Mass Lesser Vigor. If you persist this spell, your party won't have to worry about healing much.

aboyd
2010-11-15, 07:33 PM
Greater Resistance? Whoa! How'd I miss that? Thanks!

Any more ideas?

gorfnab
2010-11-15, 07:37 PM
Revenance (Cleric 4, Spell Compendium) + Revivify (Cleric 5, Spell Compendium) = 1000gp True Resurrection

Basically if your characters have extra 2825 gp they can buy one scroll of Revenance (700gp) and one scroll of Revivify (1125gp +1000gp diamond) and give them to the party cleric so that they can be "resurrected" if they die.

Darrin
2010-11-15, 08:00 PM
Ray of Resurgence (Lost Empires of Faerun). Cure fatigue with a ray.

Ice slick (Frostburn). Grease for clerics.

Conjure Ice Beast (Frostburn). Free action 10' radius burst 1d6 cold damage no save *per creature*. Also, giant centipedes that can swallow whole. Also, access to the stronger ice beast versions of the SNA list.

Cloud of Knives (PHBII). Throw daggers as a free action.

Guidance of the Avatar (WotC website). +20 competence bonus on next skill check (hello UMD!)

Bladebane (Unapproachable East). Swiss Army Bane Weapon.

Necrotic SKull Bomb (Champions of Ruin). Swift action enervation as a 20' radius burst.

AslanCross
2010-11-15, 08:14 PM
From Spell Compendium:

Earth Reaver: An area blast spell that deals 4d6 bludgeoning damage, 3d6 fire damage (NO SAVE), and knocks them prone (Reflex save). One of the few decent blast spells that exists, and yes, Clerics get it.

Assay Spell Resistance: Good for slaying outsiders.

Ice Axe: heavy cold damage as a touch attack.

Iron Silence: Negate Armor Check Penalty to Move Silently for hours. Who says the Rogue has to go alone when sneaking?

Moon Bolt: Long range, affects multiple targets, deals 1d4 Strength damage per 3 levels; Fort half. Against undead it works as a really good debuff spell.