PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife build

Emmerask
2010-11-15, 05:06 PM
Yes I know its mon(k)day but anyway I had the weird idea for a game to play a soulknife (I know they suck)

The dm is somewhat inexperienced so I´m aiming for about tier 3.5 with this.

So here it goes:

Soulknife 5 / swordsage 3 / kensai 9 / bloodclaw Master 3

This would give me a pretty solid +10 weapon (something like +1 with lots of imbues like collision etc)

But since I can shape the soulknife into two seperate weapons with a -1 enh it would be two +9 weapons (a bit cheesy I guess) :smallsmile:

Does this work by raw?
Any feat and enhancement suggestions other then two weapon fighting. collision and body feeder?

Frosty
2010-11-15, 05:10 PM
Not enough Soulbow :smallwink:

Keld Denar
2010-11-15, 05:13 PM
Damn Frosty, I was thinking "this build probably doesn't have enough Soulbow" when I clicked the thread title. Then it loaded and the first comment was "Needs more Soulbow".

Did you finally get enough XP to take that Mindbender dip? /jealous

Emmerask
2010-11-15, 05:14 PM
Not enough Soulbow :smallwink:

Hmm a level of soulbow would be quite interesting, in essence one imbues his soul with the kensai ability so I don´t see why one could not use it with melee and ranged ^^

I would still like to know what you think if its raw possible to
a) imbue the soul with life force
b) split said imbued soulknife into two both with -1 :smallwink:

/edit2 and then I would need imbues that work on ranged and melee weapons :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2010-11-15, 05:19 PM
Its a decent build. Probably right where you want to be powerwise. Make sure you drop some cash on increasing your survivability.

Also, I dunno how your DM feels about homebrew, but the Sleeping Goddess discipline by The Demented One would probably be a good place for you to spend your Swordsage manevuers. Take a looksie.

Psyren
2010-11-15, 05:27 PM
Ask if you can use this soulknife (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/soulknife)

SurlySeraph
2010-11-15, 05:29 PM
Feats: you'll probably want Shadow Blade (Dex to damage in addition to Str). If you're using a psionic race, Psionic Meditation would be useful so you can take 15 on Concentration for Power Surge and Diamond Mind maneuvers. It might be worthwhile to take those feats that let your psicrystal hold an extra focus for you, but you'll probably be too feat-starved.

Enhancements: You've got lots of options. A fun one would be a +1 Paralyzing (BoED) Stalactite (Underdark) Prismatic Burst (forget the source) weapon. That's a +9 weapon. On every hit, the target must make a DC 17 Will save or be paralyzed; on a critical hit, add a DC 20 save vs petrification *and* a Prismatic Spray effect. Dual-wield two of these with Improved Critical (Mind Blade), and you have a good chance of forcing enough saves to make a lot of opponents roll 1s.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-15, 05:43 PM
A keen body feeder collision soul blade doesn't sound bad.

Psyren
2010-11-15, 06:00 PM
It might be worthwhile to take those feats that let your psicrystal hold an extra focus for you, but you'll probably be too feat-starved.

Soulknives can get a few extra feats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) :smallsmile:
Psychic Strike sucks anyway.

Emmerask
2010-11-15, 06:04 PM
Also, I dunno how your DM feels about homebrew, but the Sleeping Goddess discipline by The Demented One would probably be a good place for you to spend your Swordsage manevuers. Take a looksie.

Sadly no homebrew allowed, as nice as the sleeping goddess maneuvers sound, so I have to be content myself with shadow hand and tiger claw

Feats: you'll probably want Shadow Blade (Dex to damage in addition to Str). If you're using a psionic race, Psionic Meditation would be useful so you can take 15 on Concentration for Power Surge and Diamond Mind maneuvers. It might be worthwhile to take those feats that let your psicrystal hold an extra focus for you, but you'll probably be too feat-starved.

Good advice, though I´m a bit undecided about the race because as you said this build is feat starved so its human or a psionic race.

A keen body feeder collision soul blade doesn't sound bad.

Yes, I´m thinking about
2 +1 kukri short swords keen(+1), collision (+2), body feeding (+3), powerstoring (+1), spellstoring(+1) soulblades

though the spell and powerstoring depends on the other members of the party and their willingness to imbue my weapons with their lower spellslots from time to time.

Soulknives can get a few extra feats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) :smallsmile:
Psychic Strike sucks anyway.

Oh that acf is nice thx :smallsmile:

FMArthur
2010-11-15, 06:32 PM
Is Dragon Magazine material allowed? It really helps the Soulknife to have the feats from Dragon 341. They don't even improve the class power-wise that much, they just give it more options, while the main psionic books seem to forget about the class or give it more useless options.

In particular, Reshape Mind Blade and Practiced Mind Blade are really cool. You need 5 Soulknife levels to get Reshape Mind Blade, but what it does is allow you to choose any one weapon you are proficient with (at the moment you take the feat) and allow you to shape your Mind Blade into that. You can even make it an Unarmed Strike, take Tashalatora, and get a Monk's unarmed progression that gets weapon enhancements. :smallbiggrin:

Emmerask
2010-11-15, 06:36 PM
Well I can at least ask the dm if she allows it would be nice to have something other then short-swords^^

especially since short swords are for some reason no tiger claw weapons :smallfurious:

Frosty
2010-11-15, 06:41 PM
Damn Frosty, I was thinking "this build probably doesn't have enough Soulbow" when I clicked the thread title. Then it loaded and the first comment was "Needs more Soulbow".

Did you finally get enough XP to take that Mindbender dip? /jealous
Haha. Today has been good for me. I've swordsaged two different people. the other poster I beat to the punch by less than 60 seconds.