PDA

View Full Version : will my (future) mount be able to carry me?

big teej
2010-11-15, 06:46 PM
greetings playgrounders, for starters, I suck at math, so I'm making sure I'm understanding my numbers correctly here

I plan to play a knight in an upcoming game, and at somepoint, maaaaaaaaaaaaay look into having a Wyvern as a mountian..

now, assuming a basic str 19 wyvern

can he lift me and all my gear?

(charactersheet, spoilered for length)
I aplogize for the crazy amounts of text, the DM let me do it on my own and I wanted him to be able to see where I got all my numbers from

Character name: Gideon Player name:
Class and level: 2nd level Knight Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Good Deity: Sigmar

Size: medium Age: 24 Gender: Male Height: 6’2 Weight: 272 lbs
Eyes: Brown Hair: Black Skin: fair
Theme song:

Hit points: 24
AC: 18
BAB: +2
Strength: 13 [+1]
Dexterity: 11[+0]
Constitution: 17 [+3]
Intelligence: 12 [+1]
Wisdom: 9 [ -1 ]
Charisma: 16 [+3]

Saving throws
Will: + 2
Fortitude: + 3
Reflex: +0

Speed: 30ft
Vision: 60 ft
Climb: 5 ft
Listen: 60ft

Racial features
Extra feat
Extra skill points + 4

Class features* see bottom of sheet
Fighting Challenge +1
Knight’s Challenge
Knight’s code
Mounted Combat
Shield Block +1
Knights challenge per day: 4
Save DC = NA at level 2

Feats taken
Quick draw
Exotic weapon proficiency (spiked chain)

Skills 2 + int modifier + 4 human
5 ranks in ride
4 ranks in handle animal
5 ranks in knowledge (nobiligy and royalty)
5 ranks in intimidate
Class skills: climg, handle animla, intimidate, jump, knowledge (nobility and royalty) ride, swim.

Weapons in use
Spiked chain – 2d4 x2crit piercing – reach
Warhammer – 1d8 x3 crit bludgeoning
Battle axe – 1d8 x3 crit slashing
Heavy steel shield – 1d4 bludgeoning – removes AC bonus
Longbow - 1d8 x3 crit piercing – range increment 100 ft

Equipment/gear:
Banded mail + 6 AC – 7 penalty +1 max dex

Items and possessions
Explorer’s outfit
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and steel
Trail rations (8 days worth)
Signal whistle
Signet ring
Tent
10 torches
3 waterskins
Whetstone

Languages: Common + int bonus other languages
Common
Goblin

XP: 2200 of 3,000

Money: 600
Weapons:
Spiked chain - 25 gp
Battle axe – 10 gp
Warhammer – 12 gp
Heavy steel shield – 20 gp
Longbow – 75 gp

Money left over after weapons: 448

Miscellaneous crap:
Explorer’s outfit – 10 gp
Backpack – 2 gp
Bedroll – 1 sp
Flint and steel – 1 gp
Trail rations – 4 gp (8 days worth)
Signal whistle – 8 sp
Signet ring – 5 gp – hammerthorn symbol?
Tent – 10 gp
10 torches – 1 sp
3 waterskins – 3 gp
Whetstone – 2cp

Money left over after miscellaneous crap: 412gp 8 cp

Money left to spend on armour: 412gp 8 cp
Banded mail – 250 gp
Heavy steel shield – 20 gp

Money left over after armour: 142 gp 8 cp

Heroic achievements:

To do list
Buy the following
Heavy warhorse – 400 gp
Military saddle – 20 gp
Lance – 10 gp

so, given all my crap (armour, weapons, miscellanous crap)

can my (future, hopefully) mount carry me?

using mythweavers
I put in 19 str and got

light load: 116
medium load: 233
heavy load: 350
over head: 350
off ground: 700
push/drag: 1750

so I am curious... 1) which of these numbers determine my mounts ability to carry me

2) as long as the rider is less than the 'max' (heavy) load, can the mount carry it?

3) where are the rules for this in the DMG or whatever book its in, because I cannot seem to find it:smallfrown:

and 4) obviously: can the thing even carry me into battle? (preferably with no encumberance penalties

thanks in advance

Eldan
2010-11-15, 06:56 PM
You preferably want to be under light load, really. Any higher, or your mount will slow down. I'm not quite sure how long it can still fly.

However, a wyvern is large, which doubles it's carrying capacity to 232 pounds. Which should hopefully be enough.

Urpriest
2010-11-15, 06:57 PM
Did you remember to tell mythweavers that your proposed mount is large? That increases carrying capacity by a pretty hefty amount.

big teej
2010-11-15, 07:18 PM
You preferably want to be under light load, really. Any higher, or your mount will slow down. I'm not quite sure how long it can still fly.

However, a wyvern is large, which doubles it's carrying capacity to 232 pounds. Which should hopefully be enough.

ah... I see, well in that case I guess I'll need the rules for advancing hit die/strscore or something...

as for how long it can fly... oooooh, I dunno, I'd say a diving charge outa do it. :smallamused:

Did you remember to tell mythweavers that your proposed mount is large? That increases carrying capacity by a pretty hefty amount.

I did not, I had forgotten about that, I merely plugged in 19 str

Coidzor
2010-11-15, 07:24 PM
Seeing if they count as quadrupeds for carrying capacity (basically asking for your DM to adjudicate on that) could also be good as there are creatures with only two legs that carry things as if they were quadrupeds that are built along the same lines as wyverns.

There seems to be contradictory writing on the subject of flying creatures and flying mounts.

Something like, a medium load can be held by flying creatures but it slows 'em down and in other cases it simply states that a flying creature that is a mount can't fly with more than a light load.

So I'm a bit confused by the subject myself.

Frosty
2010-11-15, 07:32 PM
As far as I can tell from the rules, something can Fly only if at Light load or less, but is allowed to wear any sort of armor desired (but medium and heavy armor still slows them down)

The Oakenshield
2010-11-15, 08:16 PM
Are you playing in a Warhammer setting? I see your deity is Sigmar.

And what would a noble knight in the world of Warhammer be doing riding a Wyvern like a filthy orc.

big teej
2010-11-15, 08:42 PM
Seeing if they count as quadrupeds for carrying capacity (basically asking for your DM to adjudicate on that) could also be good as there are creatures with only two legs that carry things as if they were quadrupeds that are built along the same lines as wyverns.

There seems to be contradictory writing on the subject of flying creatures and flying mounts.

Something like, a medium load can be held by flying creatures but it slows 'em down and in other cases it simply states that a flying creature that is a mount can't fly with more than a light load.

So I'm a bit confused by the subject myself.

I've seen that too, I recall distinctly that the "giant eagle" says the thing about nothing over a light load (but elves top out at what? 150 lbs?)

I think I might just ask my DM to make a call on it if a definitive answer cannot be found.

Are you playing in a Warhammer setting? I see your deity is Sigmar.

And what would a noble knight in the world of Warhammer be doing riding a Wyvern like a filthy orc.

no, DnD 3.x I am simply far more familiar with the Warhammer mythos than DnD (but my copy of Dieties and demigods is working on that) so the majority of my characters worship warhammer gods, simply because that is what I, as the player, no better.

I can think of only a few characters that have worshipped beings from dnd cosmology (Tymora, many gods of greed/dwarves for a rogue I played once, and...... that might be it)

I was simply talking to a player from my old group and he mentioned a character I played in a solo campaign that had an 'epic mount' (think a nightmare, but instead of a horse, a komodo dragon made of metal) and I was like "heeeeey..... can a wyvern carry my knight?"

and then this thread.

As far as I can tell from the rules, something can Fly only if at Light load or less, but is allowed to wear any sort of armor desired (but medium and heavy armor still slows them down)

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to ask that my DM make a call on it.

but I'm certainly in favor of the armour thing (after all, that makes sense)

Coidzor
2010-11-15, 09:44 PM
Hmm, looked it up, can't find the statement that confused the issue for me, so, yeah, light loads only (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly), but I found this on the issue of armor on flying mounts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear):
Barding, Medium Creature and Large Creature

Barding is a type of armor that covers the head, neck, chest, body, and possibly legs of a horse or other mount. Barding made of medium or heavy armor provides better protection than light barding, but at the expense of speed. Barding can be made of any of the armor types found on Table: Armor and Shields.

Armor for a horse (a Large nonhumanoid creature) costs four times as much as armor for a human (a Medium humanoid creature) and also weighs twice as much as the armor found on Table: Armor and Shields (see Armor for Unusual Creatures). If the barding is for a pony or other Medium mount, the cost is only double, and the weight is the same as for Medium armor worn by a humanoid. Medium or heavy barding slows a mount that wears it, as shown on the table below.

Flying mounts can’t fly in medium or heavy barding.

The contradictory text that got me confused, now that I think about it... is this statement: "A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)" when taken with this statement "Flying mounts can’t fly in medium or heavy barding."

Somehow mounts take a special disadvantage that other flying creatures don't have. :smallconfused: :smallyuk:

big teej
2010-11-15, 11:03 PM
Hmm, looked it up, can't find the statement that confused the issue for me, so, yeah, light loads only (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly), but I found this on the issue of armor on flying mounts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear):

The contradictory text that got me confused, now that I think about it... is this statement: "A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)" when taken with this statement "Flying mounts can’t fly in medium or heavy barding."

Somehow mounts take a special disadvantage that other flying creatures don't have. :smallconfused: :smallyuk:

aye, this is quite the conundrum, does anyone feel that it would be horridly unbalanced for flying mounts to be able to fly in medium or heavy armour? (obviously with the appropriate movement and weight restirctions)

because I'm tempted to just pitch this to the group and ask their opinions.

thoughts?

Frosty
2010-11-15, 11:12 PM
I was confused at first too, but after consulting multiple sources I'm pretty sure any armor/barding is cool. I just forgot all the sources I consulted cuz it was a while ago. The DMG and Rules Compendium and some online "Rules of the Game" articles were definitely amongst the sources though.

big teej
2010-11-15, 11:30 PM
I was confused at first too, but after consulting multiple sources I'm pretty sure any armor/barding is cool. I just forgot all the sources I consulted cuz it was a while ago. The DMG and Rules Compendium and some online "Rules of the Game" articles were definitely amongst the sources though.

page number please? I'd like to have a look at this

or at least an idea of what section

Frosty
2010-11-16, 02:38 AM
Well, Rules Compendium page 91 states that you can't fly with Medium or Heavy load, and makes no mention of armor. It says that a creature's description takes precedence, so armor only restricts flight if the individual creature description says so.

big teej
2010-11-16, 09:34 AM
Well, Rules Compendium page 91 states that you can't fly with Medium or Heavy load, and makes no mention of armor. It says that a creature's description takes precedence, so armor only restricts flight if the individual creature description says so.

so (if I'm remembering correctly) Giant Eagle can't
wyvern can

woot woot