PDA

View Full Version : Rich Burlew's Champion class

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-15, 07:11 PM
I'm really terribly sorry about this but I'm just readin some of the stuff Burlew has created and I read this (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html) and geek'd. Does anyone else see what I see when I read this?

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/shazam-circle-comic-big.jpg

I'm sure thats what Mr. Burlew had in mind when making it but I'm to busy having my mind blown to care.

The Glyphstone
2010-11-15, 07:40 PM
Funny, I always think of

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/collect_toy/p9277113.jpg

But YMMV.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-15, 07:48 PM
The class ia good, but was made back in the day when even Rich was testing stuff. It really should be beefed up some (Pathfinderized?).

Spell list is major weakness.

zyborg
2010-11-15, 07:48 PM
I keep thinking about Digimon, myself. Transforming into Champion. :smalltongue:

Honestly, though, I've been really wanting to try out that class. It looks awesome.

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-15, 08:16 PM
The class ia good, but was made back in the day when even Rich was testing stuff. It really should be beefed up some (Pathfinderized?).

Spell list is major weakness.

Hmmm...what about just letting them prepare cleric spells of up to 4th level?

Starbuck_II
2010-11-15, 08:29 PM
Hmmm...what about just letting them prepare cleric spells of up to 4th level?

That would be a good boon. Don't see any issues.

Drothmal
2010-11-15, 08:33 PM
I tried the class with a few friends in a PF game and it ended up being a bit OP at the low levels (you turn into a champion, you kill whatever you had in front of you and race from one room of the dungeon to the next before the transformation expires).

I enjoyed it thoroughly and it's one of the best homebrews I've seen, but I feel that up to level 5 is significantly better than other melee-types

Akal Saris
2010-11-15, 08:47 PM
It reminds me of He-man, personally. Which is odd since I've only really watched He-man for about 2 hours of my life.

I like the class though. I do think he should have made some feats for it as well, since it is never worth it to multi-class out of it as it is.

Some suggestions...

Extra Hero Form
You can enter hero form more often.
Requires: Hero Form 1/day, Base Attack Bonus +4
Benefit: You may use Hero Form an additional 2/day.
Special: This feat may be taken more than once.

Your bond with your avatar is so strong that your avatar's power grows even as you widen your horizons.
Requires: Hero Form
Benefit: Add +3 to your effective champion level for determining the power of your avatar, up to your total hit dice. A champion 4/paladin 3, for example, would have the avatar of a 7th level champion.

Daring Avatar
Even in avatar form, you still buckle some swash now and then
Requires: Grace +1, Hero Form 1/day
Benefit: When in avatar form, you gain the benefits of your grace and dodge bonuses from swashbuckler levels. You add your Int bonus to the duration of your avatar form. Swashbuckler and Champion levels stack to determine the bonus of your grace and dodge bonuses from Swashbuckler, and to determine the times per day that you can assume avatar form and the power of your avatar form, but not any additional benefits from champion levels. A swashbuckler 4/Champion 2 would have the avatar of a 6th level champion 2/day, but would not have energy resistance, flight, or spell-casting.

Dragonmuncher
2010-11-15, 08:56 PM
I know SilverClawShift was playing one in her Campaign Diaries... wonder how that turned out?

herrhauptmann
2010-11-16, 12:09 AM
I enjoyed it thoroughly and it's one of the best homebrews I've seen, but I feel that up to level 5 is significantly better than other melee-types
Yeah, that guy's actually in Complete Champion. Not exactly homebrew anymore.
Honestly, I did get a pretty strong Captain Marvel (from DC not Marvel) vibe off of the PrC. And since it's the first thing I saw when I opened Complete Champ at random, never really got into the book like I did others of the Complete Series. But I can definitely see the He-man and Ultraman impressions as well.

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-16, 09:32 AM
I like the class though. I do think he should have made some feats for it as well, since it is never worth it to multi-class out of it as it is.

Sorry, but I kind of had one of my own. This will help me go along with my "Captain Marvel" character that I may or may not try and implement.

Explosive Transformation
The tremendous power of the Champions transformation can be destructive force to behold.

Prerequisites: Hero Form (1/day), Energy Resistance 10 to at least one type of Energy Type (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Sonic).
Benefit: Whenever the Champion uses its Hero Form ability to transform into its Avatar, all adjacent creatures must make a successful reflex save (DC = 10 + 1/2 the Champion's class level + the Avatar's Charisma modifier) or take 1d6 damage for every 2 Champion levels the champion possesses. When the Champion chooses this feat it also selects one type of energy damage against which has at least resistance 10. The damage dealt by this effect deals one half damage of the chosen type and the other half is divine damage and is therefore not subject to reduction by protection from elements (fire), fire shield (chill shield), or similar magic.

Edit: Also considering one that would make the Avatar's Animal Companion/Special Mount/Familiar partially benefit from the transformation so that the character could get a "Battlecat" sort of thing going...

Drothmal
2010-11-16, 02:00 PM
Yeah, that guy's actually in Complete Champion. Not exactly homebrew anymore.

In complete champion? What page? I did not know it had made it to print

JonRG
2010-11-16, 02:30 PM
In complete champion? What page? I did not know it had made it to print

The Mythic Exemplar (86) and Squire of Legend (110) are kind of similar to the Champion, but are prestige classes (10 and 3 level respectively).

Drothmal
2010-11-16, 03:55 PM
I had seen those, but they don't really involve the transforming into a superhero very powerful avatar of a god for a short span of time, at least in my opinion