PDA

View Full Version : Xenogears 3.5

~Nye~
2010-11-15, 10:45 PM
Hi guys, i have been itching to make a sci-fi game with d&d rules for a while. So i recently played xenogears, those of you who have played it would probably know that the plot is awesome. For those unfamiliar with the title, its a jrpg where you fight in giant mechs or on foot. if any of you could help with suggestions on rules and such. please give me a shout!

~Nye~
2010-11-15, 10:59 PM
for the background for the world is this so far: 1000 years have passed since the war of the blackening. This war lasted 100 years and the last battle between the demon elru and deus ended with the destruction of the world. Before the world came to an end Wiseman Adam had a precognition, 25 years before the end he saw the world get engulfed in flame. He was a great and powerful truenamer and using the word of genesis he decided to create a plane of existance that mirrored his home.(i have to write a new post. txt box on my phone is considerably small).

~Nye~
2010-11-15, 11:18 PM
The wiseman saw what he had made and it was good, and he called his plane Solaris. Though he was doing a great thing creating a new plane, he was old and stuck in the mind set that some races were unclean. Be saw halflings and gnomes as filthy beggars and he beleived they were not worth saving, those who he deemed clean were saved, he abducted one girl and one boy from each race and named the boy abel and the girl ava. he fled to his plane of ceation with his children and taught them of the world he had created in his own image. Some races had survived the inferno, the blackening, which the final battle between the Demon Elru and Deus. The surface was scarred and many people died, but some survived.

~Nye~
2010-11-15, 11:53 PM
Wiseman Adam was disgusted at what he saw, the unclean were re-populating, he spat with disgust and called them LAMBS without a sheppered. He laughed and mocked them. Adam wiseman eventually died and over the centuries the his children, known as the solarians flourished, the solarians were taught to hate the LAMBS. Eventually the Solarians grew to envy the LAMBS they saw their land was great and their oceans vast so began to plot to take over their world, the technology of the Solarians was great, as they had retained the knowledge of technology from before the Blackening, but their resources from which they could create Gears (mechs) were sparse.
When 2 great capitals began to appear on the worlds surface the solarians watched from their plane and saw the oppurtunity to seize the lands and they turned these two powers against one another in a hope they could crush both sides once they were both weak. The Gears (mechs) that were hidden beneath the soil were excevated and an arms race ensued.

Currently that is the backstory. It's loosely based on the jrpg. But I have tweaked it to my liking.

If any of you have played with the dragonmech rules, please tell me if their any good, I haven't found them anywhere.

~Nye~
2010-11-16, 12:56 AM
Bump. No interest?

Tvtyrant
2010-11-16, 02:27 AM
Why is it LAMBS instead of just Lambs? Does it stand for something?

Who are the Solarians? What was the Blackening? What is the back story of the demons and Deus? Are they in the new world? How did Adam get his powers? Why is Gears better then just mechs (are they steam punk)? Why are the Lambs so strong?

Why did he let the "unclean" races into the new world in the first place? What makes them "unclean" in his eyes? What happened to the burnt world? Is it still there? Does anyone live there?

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 02:34 AM
Hmm, I think Iron Kingdoms is another 3rd party resource building upon d20 and D&D that you might consider drawing upon partially if you can get access to a copy.

I think there's been some homebrew around these boards as well about how to build various mecha in 3.5, so you might poke around the homebrew sub-forum and see what you can rustle up for more material to find inspiration in.

Morbis Meh
2010-11-16, 02:36 AM
Xenogears was amazing, I would totally be up for playing a xenogears themed campaign. That being said take a look at d20 modern to get an idea for solaris. As for the builds for the gears that itself would be very difficult unless someone had a homebrew design (I would check those threads first). Standard battles wouldn't be too hard, Fei (monk), Citan (unarmed swordsage maybe?), Bart (swashbuckler/dread pirate), Elly (wizard maybe), Rico (Barbarian/Reaping Mauler), Billy (Cleric with gun focus), Chuchu (I have no idea lol).

~Nye~
2010-11-16, 06:23 AM
Why is it LAMBS instead of just Lambs? Does it stand for something?
I know it does stand for somthing, but the acronym eludes me I think it's somthing like Lued Anthromorphic Mundane Benial Surfacers or somthing. I'll try and google it...

Who are the Solarians?
Adam's Children

What was the Blackening?
The Blackening was the final battle between Elru and Deus, it burnt the world until it was charred black, hence the name.

What is the back story of the demons and Deus? I haven't quite thought that much out, but I will...

Are they in the new world?
The Demon Elru Died, but Deus is a program, a virus, so he is eternal as long as he is transferable, and if people find and try and use his gear which he was using as a body... I'm planning on making it attack the PCs

How did Adam get his powers?
He was a great and powerful diplomat and researcher, he had developed Deus and wanted to use it to defeat the Demon Elru, he later realised what he had done and had his precognition he tried to stop the program, the army wouldn't let him and he made his plan for Solaris

Why is Gears better then just mechs (are they steam punk)? Well it's just the title of the machines in the game... I think it sounds cooler than mechs :smalltongue:

Why are the Lambs so strong? The LAMBS aren't strong, their just resilient... like cockraches :smallbiggrin: The Solarians are strong because they're technologically advanced and healthier

Why did he let the "unclean" races into the new world in the first place? he didn't

What makes them "unclean" in his eyes? Well he's a bit of a Fascist and doesn't beleive in equal rights between races.

What happened to the burnt world? Is it still there? Does anyone live there?
Yes, that' where the LAMBS live.

I re-wrote some of the stuff, looking back at it now, it was kinda hard to word process on my phone :smallannoyed:

~Nye~
2010-11-16, 07:02 AM
In this campaign, my PCs are playing as the LAMBS, which will be unaware of the Solarians for the first 1/4 of the campaign. My plan is to have some of them live in a small town that turns into a battle field when a theft of a high powered extremely rare Gear crash lands with it's retinue of support, it is harried by the opposing army who is trying to recover it. I'm not revealling to the PCs until lvl 3 that there's going to be mechs. When this happens they will be in awe, not many LAMBS know the existance of gears except those in heavily populated areas or that live in capital cities. When destruction is wrought on the town the PCs jump into the cockpit of the gears when the abductees of the gears bail because they're wounded and or killed. One will go berserk and destroy the town levelling it flat and killing eveyone except those who were in the gears. This will give the players guilt after having built up a relationship with the townspeople. The few survivors of the town will exile the PCs, from there I plan on making the storyline advance further :smallbiggrin:

mechanically, this is what I plan to do, having a small selection of classes based loosely what's available in the game, but selecting mainly from oriental classes.
The Gear's will have something in the region of 100s of hp. when the PCs are strong enough they will be able to take out the gears on foot, but until then they will have to run away, if they fight in gears against monsters, I'll give them a massive XP penalty, because obviously no XP gained if you don't learn the techniques to kill a kobold :/ if you decide to step on it.
I plan on giving the gears maneuovers like swordsages, very much like they do in the videogame. these maneouvers will be more or less identical to that of ToB classes... Should be fine :D