PDA

View Full Version : I Beseech Thee, Oh Playground: Save My Club!

Enix18
2010-11-15, 11:13 PM
So here's the deal, folks:

I run a game club at my school (The Honourable Society for Philocubism) wherein, as the description would imply, we play all sorts of different games—card games, board games, and (mainly) role-playing games. So far this year we've run campaigns using Pathfinder, Big Eyes Small Mouth, Maid RPG, and GURPS, plus I'm currently running a D&D 4e campaign. I hope to have the current and final adventure wrapped up after Thanksgiving, which will leave us free to pursue other avenues of gaming.

However, tensions have been running a bit high within the club lately, for a number of reasons. Because of this, I really don't want to try and start anything serious until next year, once people have had a chance to unwind with Christmas break and all that. In the meantime, though, that leaves me with 4 unfilled meetings in December. Each of those meetings is roughly an hour and a half long, so that's 6 hours I need to fill with non-serious gaming.

My hope was to find a few simple games we could play that would be light-hearted, humorous, or otherwise entertaining in some fashion (the kind of games that will let people relax for some unadulterated fun). They need to be able to fit into a 1.5 hour timeframe, so simple one-off rpgs or other non-complicated games would be preferable. The required group size isn't really important, since I think I have sufficiently many members for most games (and they could easily be split into smaller groups for those that require fewer players). Admittedly, though, this is far from my area of expertise, so I figured I'd turn to greatest conglomeration of related knowledge that I know of: the GitP forums.

Thus, to summarize, this is my humble request: Do you know any simple, fun games (role-playing or otherwise) that I can run for a 1.5 hour meeting of my game club?

You folks are always very helpful, so I look forward to any suggestion you can offer.

Sincerely,
— Enix18

arguskos
2010-11-15, 11:15 PM
Not playing Paranoia is tantamount to High Treason against Friend Computer. Please report to your nearest Disintegration Chamber for self-termination, Citizen.

Temotei
2010-11-15, 11:18 PM
Apples to Apples would be fun.

Grynning
2010-11-15, 11:22 PM
I would strongly suggest some board games. Two that I've enjoyed lately are Betrayal at House on the Hill (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/betrayalhouse) and Last Night on Earth (http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/). Both are relatively fast and easy to learn, and have a lot of elements in common with RPG's (you play a character, there's combat and different scenarios, etc). Flying Frog (who makes LNOE) has a mansion-horror game too, though I haven't played it. They are a bit pricey though.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, you could also try out some of the free rule-lite RPG's that are available online. Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm) is popular, and I think Minimus (http://www.adastragames.com/downloads/RPGs/Minimus.pdf) looks neat.

Edit:

Not playing Paranoia is tantamount to High Treason against Friend Computer. Please report to your nearest Disintegration Chamber for self-termination, Citizen.

^Win

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-15, 11:23 PM

I agree. Paranoia is fun, other games are not fun. Play Paranoia.

Crossblade
2010-11-15, 11:27 PM
Pick up the card game Munchkins. That's great for killing time. So long as no one holds grudges for backstabbing in card games.

BRC
2010-11-15, 11:28 PM
I agree. Paranoia is fun, other games are not fun. Play Paranoia.
Failure to have fun is Treason.

Erom
2010-11-15, 11:28 PM
AtoA is the worst game ever created. Seriously, it's like the FATAL of casual party word games.

Since board games have been brought up though:

I'd just throw out that 1.5 hours is just enough time to run two games of vanilla Settlers of Catan back to back, or one game of the new Risk (The missions mechanic keeps the game from being an 8 hour snorefest.) or one game of Pandemic, all of which I consider excellent games.

Grynning
2010-11-15, 11:32 PM
Oh, I remembered something else - a year ago, I was working on a goofy, Christmas one-shot for 4th edition D&D. I pre-built characters for everyone based on Santa's helpers, and they had to go rescue him from the clutches of evil or something like that. I never got to run it, because of people's holiday scehdules. You have my full permission to rip this off for one of your December sessions, because I'd be amused to hear how it plays out.

It's surprising how easy it is to translate 4th ed to a holiday theme. The party was going to be Mrs. Claus (Half-Elf Paladin), Donner and Blitzen (Minotaur Warden and Barbarian, re-flavored as Reindeer), Winky the Elf (Halfling Beast Mastery Ranger, bird animal companion re-flavored as a toy plane), Blinky the Elf (Gnome Artificer, using toys, of course), and Jack Frost (Windsoul Genasi Wizard).

Edit: they were all level 2.

turkishproverb
2010-11-15, 11:35 PM
Ghostbusters International/Ghostbusters RPG
Men IN Black the RPG

Failure to have fun is Treason.

How would you, a mere level Red agent, know that, Comrade?:smallfurious:

Tvtyrant
2010-11-15, 11:37 PM
AtoA is the worst game ever created. Seriously, it's like the FATAL of casual party word games.

Might want to throw a "YMMV" on that friend. Its a favorite around my parts.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-15, 11:39 PM
How would you, a mere level Red agent, know that, Comrade?:smallfurious:

Commie mutant traitor! *ZAP!*

Grynning
2010-11-15, 11:40 PM
Apples to Apples can be fun, but usually only when supplemented by alcohol, which I doubt will be in abundance at a school club meeting.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-11-15, 11:44 PM
I'm seconding Last Night on Earth. That's a crazy fun game, and it comes with tons of extra stuff, like a soundtrack.

Apples to Apples is super fun, but you have to be in the right mood for it. You have to accept silly results as much as serious ones, or it gets boring.

I also second Settlers of Cataan. That's a great game.

A game that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Fluxx. You get cards that actually change the rules and goal of the game, along with Action cards and Keepers, which are essentially items that you keep. It's pretty much my favorite card game ever.

Temotei
2010-11-15, 11:45 PM
Apples to Apples can be fun, but usually only when supplemented by alcohol, which I doubt will be in abundance at a school club meeting.

I just like picking silly things, like "driving off a cliff" for "exciting."

Grynning
2010-11-15, 11:50 PM
A game that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Fluxx. You get cards that actually change the rules and goal of the game, along with Action cards and Keepers, which are essentially items that you keep. It's pretty much my favorite card game ever.

Oh yeah, Fluxx is pretty awesome. They may play that already though, it's really common nowadays.

One more board game plug - if your group includes any history nerds or if they like Euro-style games, ElfinWerks (http://www.elfinwerks.com/) makes good products. The games sound like they'd be boring but I played one of their newer ones (it's not on the website and I can't remember the name) and it was really good, and I've heard good things about the rest of them.

Glyde
2010-11-16, 12:08 AM
Zombies!

It's great fun, but an investment. A worthwhile investment, though.

Hironomus
2010-11-16, 12:08 AM
I would strongly suggest some board games. Two that I've enjoyed lately are Betrayal at House on the Hill (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/betrayalhouse) and Last Night on Earth (http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/). Both are relatively fast and easy to learn, and have a lot of elements in common with RPG's (you play a character, there's combat and different scenarios, etc). Flying Frog (who makes LNOE) has a mansion-horror game too, though I haven't played it. They are a bit pricey though.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, you could also try out some of the free rule-lite RPG's that are available online. Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm) is popular, and I think Minimus (http://www.adastragames.com/downloads/RPGs/Minimus.pdf) looks neat.

Edit:

^Win

Betrayal in the house on the hill is an all time favourite of my gaming group, as is last night on earth. I heartily recommend these. Munchkins is alot of fun, but I dunno, it always brings out my worst, super competitive side :smallfurious:. Possibly not the best game if things are tense in your group.

Bugbeartrap
2010-11-16, 12:52 AM
Might I suggest the card game Gloom? Its part storytelling part cardgame. The point is to make your family as miserable as possible, which earns points, then kill them, to gain those points. Making other player's families happy takes away their points. Its a quirky little part-role-playing card game.

BridgeCity
2010-11-16, 01:23 AM
I'm a fan of Arkham Horror, though that will be expensive if you don't already own it.

Leon
2010-11-16, 01:27 AM
Telestrations

Like Chinese Whispers but with drawings. Massively funny when things go awry, suitable for up to 8 players.

Tichrondrius
2010-11-16, 01:34 AM
Chrononauts?

Dsurion
2010-11-16, 02:01 AM

Apples to Apples is a great game if everyone is willing to play silly cards and throw away their more serious ones. I got plenty of laughs for suggesting Hitler was cuddly.

I doubt anyone else has heard of it, but Quelf is a fantastic, silly game, but again, you have to have people who are willing to have fun and throw seriousness aside. I remember one game where I had to say everything like a fire and brimstone preacher, then pretend I was Ray Charles, and hold a toilet brush the entire game.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-16, 02:01 AM
There were some real good ones mentioned. At my school our little sub culture plays.

Twilight imperium
Risk
Fluxx
Dominion (Strongly suggest)
Bohnanze
Arkham horror
Red Dragon Inn

I'm sure theres a lot i'm forgetting but those ones are really fun.

Otherworld Odd
2010-11-16, 02:07 AM
Werewolf (http://eblong.com/zarf/werewolf.html) is an extremely fun game to play with a group of people. All the rules are on the link, and that's literally all you need to play besides people. Give it a look over.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-16, 02:42 AM
Diplomacy. Wait, your already at each others throats!

~Twilight imperium~

My group plays this like WW1. After three days goes by and every single ship token is used up, there is an all out war for mecatal rex that ends with the star fighter stacking guy and the war sun guy staring at each other across a void strewn with the corpses of good men. I usually concentrate on attacking one of these two instead of winning, since I don't care enough about balance of power to play it for myself.

Kurald Galain
2010-11-16, 03:20 AM
Once Upon A Time.

Jungle Speed.

Paranoia!

Jarian
2010-11-16, 03:23 AM
I doubt anyone else has heard of it, but Quelf is a fantastic, silly game, but again, you have to have people who are willing to have fun and throw seriousness aside.

Seconding this. Quelf is amazing for lightheartedness and laughter. Me, I use it with alcohol, but it's certainly not necessary to have fun.

(Ever wanted to be a can-can dancer? No? Too bad! That's Quelf for you.)

Mystic Muse
2010-11-16, 03:26 AM

What.

No, it's nothing like that. Me and my friends find AtoA a lot of fun when we're in the mood for it and it's pretty lighthearted. It doesn't compare to FATAL at all except in the sense that it's bad in your opinion. Unless there's a ton of highly innapropiate cards about subjects you would never bring up in a normal conversation under any circumstances that I'm simply unaware of.

turkishproverb
2010-11-16, 03:40 AM
Might also try Kill Doctor Lucky.

*clone walks out*

How dare you attack a confirmed level Green agent. TRAITOR!

*BZZZZZAAAAPP*

Eldan
2010-11-16, 05:54 AM

Zapping agents without direct permission by friend computer is treason! *ZAP*

Anyway. You don't have the time to run any good board games, so...
Munchkin is always a lot of fun with a large group.
Or try a few short RPG one shots with rules light systems:
Everyone is John (http://wso.williams.edu/~msulliva/campaigns/john/) is fun a few times and never lasts long.

Leon
2010-11-16, 06:07 AM
Thus, to summarize, this is my humble request: Do you know any simple, fun games (role-playing or otherwise) that I can run for a 1.5 hour meeting of my game club?

That rules out Twilight Imperium, fastest game Ive ever played has been 4 hours.

Rasman
2010-11-16, 06:12 AM
Savage Worlds/Spelljammer is D&D on simplicity crack...if they enjoy the RP aspects, it's awesome and the combat is VERY SIMPLE...

a "first level" gnome with a pistol could TECHNICALLY shoot a bullet straight up in the air and blow up the moon simple, but awesome none the less

riddles
2010-11-16, 06:22 AM
I third (fourth?) Munchkin. Its great fun.

I used to run christmas one shots for my guys. My two favourites were set in christmas land.

- plot 1: santa is a divine force. Some sneaky elf has switched the naughty and nice lists so santa is running round town giving presents to all the baduns. The party is contracted 2 days before christmas eve to find the lists, switch them back and save christmas. Sprinkle in some comic baddies, tricky situations (I had frosty the snowman trapped in a cage above a fire) and themed magic items and stir.

- Plot 2: the fairy on top of the tree is actually an eeeeevil witch. She has broken free and is causing havoc around town, playing mischievous tricks, stealing rudolph's nose etc. Stop the fairy, save the day.

Ymmv but my group lapped it up

Iceforge
2010-11-16, 06:22 AM
Pick up the card game Munchkins. That's great for killing time. So long as no one holds grudges for backstabbing in card games.

Strongly agree with Crossblade, pick up Munchkins, it is a super game to sit and play with your roleplaying friends

EDIT: Making me the fourth or fifth to agree, super duper, MUNCHKIN ROCKS!

lets start a Munchkin for president campaign?

Grogmir
2010-11-16, 06:32 AM
I third (fourth?) Munchkin. Its great fun.

I used to run christmas one shots for my guys. My two favourites were set in christmas land......

Ymmv but my group lapped it up

I've done this so often now. In the words of one of my gamers last year 'It aint christmas until you've killed Santa!'

Amazingly it still took them three weeks to work out who Tanas was last year. :smallbiggrin:

Aidan305
2010-11-16, 06:43 AM
For RPGs, Paranoia is probably the way to go. Any other light-hearted game is good, but Paranoia is best.

Boardgames: Ninja Burger, Illuminati, or indeed most SJ Games are the way to go if you want some simple fun that can be accomplished quickly.

Signmaker
2010-11-16, 06:52 AM
Games that show up often at our local gaming club:

Bang!
Fluxx
Dutch Blitz

Shadow Hunters

Cosmic Encounters
Dominion
Ascension
Settlers of Catan

Any Steve Jackson game

Of that group, Shadow Hunters and Bang! tend to draw the most attention, both of them being 'guess the ally' games with pretty large player capacity. They also tend to be short, usually lasting no more than, say, 20 minutes.

Last Laugh
2010-11-16, 07:43 AM

Yes, Munchkins is awesome!

You even get to play as a fantasy hero of your choosing and ride a quarterhorse! (and because it's so small you can even ride most of another mount!)

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-11-16, 08:30 AM
Werewolf (http://eblong.com/zarf/werewolf.html) is an extremely fun game to play with a group of people. All the rules are on the link, and that's literally all you need to play besides people. Give it a look over.

Seconding this. Great fun, specially if you turn the lights down and the Moderator puts some flavour into the narration.

I'll also second Bang! Play some Ennio Morricone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-X53ze5O0&feature=recentf) to set the mood and watch the bullets fly :smallbiggrin:

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-16, 08:40 AM

This. Werewolf is awesome.

Signmaker
2010-11-16, 09:22 AM
Seconding this. Great fun, specially if you turn the lights down and the Moderator puts some flavour into the narration.

I'll also second Bang! Play some Ennio Morricone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-X53ze5O0&feature=recentf) to set the mood and watch the bullets fly :smallbiggrin:

My group's turned Bang! in to a sport:

Suzy Lafayette (Vice) + Volcanic = Lazy Sheriff
Pedro Ramirez + previous player was in Jail = previous player isn't leaving jail for a loooong time
Kit Carlson + Passed a dynamite along = next player's getting blown up
El Gringo (Sheriff) = Masochistic Sheriff

And so on. The interaction of powers is actually quite something.

Hironomus
2010-11-16, 09:27 AM
Gosh I dunno about you OP, but I will definitely be checking out this paranoia game asap :smallwink:

Erom
2010-11-16, 09:28 AM
Unless there's a ton of highly innapropiate cards about subjects you would never bring up in a normal conversation under any circumstances that I'm simply unaware of.
Kind of. Maybe it would be better in a group of all gamers, but my family stopped playing that game because it kept being EXTREMELY awkward to play in mixed company. Person 1 thinks it's an honest answer, person 2 gets offended due to an innuendo that person 1 didn't realize existed, stuff like that.

I also wanted to second the mention of Zombies, as it's a great, great game, but now I can't find it in the thread...

Salanmander
2010-11-16, 10:10 AM
I will confirm Betrayal at House on the Hill as an incredibly awesome game, but add a caveat. Depending on the nature of the interpersonal conflict, it could be a bad idea. The game mechanics usually call for one person to turn on the rest at some point in the game, and depending on what's happened before that, it can end up fairly unbalanced. This means that probably a quarter of the time the last several turns feel either like one person trouncing everyone else, or like one person being ganged up on and kicked while he's down. It's still a really really awesome game, and I highly encourage you to pick it up before it goes out of print again, but it may not be right for a cool-down game.

DragonBaneDM
2010-11-16, 11:30 AM
Forgive me if it's been mentioned already, but

GAMMA WORLD! Just tried it! So much fun! Exactly what you're looking for! Great way to keep in shape! Two ninety nineeeeeee!!!!

:smallbiggrin:

Rhuadin
2010-11-16, 11:40 AM
That rules out Twilight Imperium, fastest game Ive ever played has been 4 hours.

Actually a lot of the games that have been suggested take waay longer than 1.5 hours. The other notable offender is Arkham Horror (which takes 1.5 hours to just set up and put away). Settlers of Catan can take 1.5 hours but it's rare in my groups, so I don't know if I'd risk it.

I second Dominion and Betrayal at House on the Hill. I am not the biggest fan of Fluxx, Munchkin, or Apples to Apples but I second them also because they fulfill your criteria.

I would also bring up Race for the Galaxy -- but it is a game whose symbols are not unlike hieroglyphics when first encountered. Once you know how to play a game takes 30 minutes, but it can easily take 1.5 hours to learn how to play your first game. :)

dsmiles
2010-11-16, 12:05 PM
Illuminati!

Also, Munchkin.

Aidan305
2010-11-16, 12:32 PM
The other notable offender is Arkham Horror (which takes 1.5 hours to just set up and put away).

I once managed a four player game with Dunwwich Horror in half an hour, but we were intentionally playing it quickly and knew all the rules.

Enix18
2010-11-16, 06:29 PM
Wow, thank you for all the great suggestions, folks!

I'm checking out most of the cheap/free options first, for obvious reasons, but I'm glad to have such a wide variety of ideas to chose from. And of course, if any more recommendations come to mind, I'll be happy to take them!

dsmiles
2010-11-16, 06:34 PM
And of course, if any more recommendations come to mind, I'll be happy to take them!

I forgot King of the Tabletop. I think it goes by a different name now, but it's still hella fun.

Eldan
2010-11-16, 06:55 PM
I once managed a four player game with Dunwwich Horror in half an hour, but we were intentionally playing it quickly and knew all the rules.

My friend has all the expansions and insists on using them all. It was my first game. First, we totally blew closing the gates (I closed one, apart from that, we didn't manage anything). Then, we fought the elder god, brought it down to three hit points (or whatever they were called) thanks to an alien flame thrower, a magic sword and a fireball spell we used liberally, then lost because apparently, we all decided to shoot ourselves in the head instead of fighting.

It's an absolutely fantastic game, but neither quick nor cheap.

Enix18
2010-11-16, 07:12 PM
Oh, I agree, Arkham Horror is a fantastic game. Of course, having sprung it upon my club once already, I know that it would definitely take more than an hour and a half to play.

otakuryoga
2010-11-16, 07:37 PM
Bang! is great fun
Fluxx is also
most anything from Cheap Ass Games(such as kill dr lucky)

and yes Paranoia(if you go that route remember to tell Friend Computer that it was I, Lowell-O-RLY that brought you into the complex)

Arbane
2010-11-16, 07:45 PM
I'm a fan of Arkham Horror, though that will be expensive if you don't already own it.

I like Arkham Horror, but it isn't a "fast" game on any scale except geological.

(Argh, multi-ninajed.)

I like Illuminati a lot, but if people aren't dealing well with in-game interpersonal conflict, it'd be a BAD choice. Backstabbing and ganging up are essential parts of the game.

Idleone
2010-11-16, 08:01 PM
Arkham Horror board game trust me

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=arkham+horror+boardgame&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4577746855&ref=pd_sl_1u2q5hdzcl_b

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-11-16, 08:03 PM
Ooh, I forgot about Bang! I'm seconding (thirding?) that suggestion.

And I have a friend who wants me to second Paranoia, though I haven't yet had a chance to play it. Yes, I am aware this is treason.

arrowhen
2010-11-16, 08:05 PM
I second the recommendation of Pandemic. It might even help with the interpersonal tensions of your club --there's nothing like losing horribly at a cooperative game to really bring people together.

true_shinken
2010-11-16, 08:05 PM
+1 to Last Night on Earth and Paranoia.

ken-do-nim
2010-11-17, 12:42 AM

Great game; can't be done in a hour and a half.

I'm going to third or fourth or whatever Betrayal at House on the Hill.

eggynack
2010-11-17, 06:31 AM
Anyway. You don't have the time to run any good board games, so...
Munchkin is always a lot of fun with a large group.

What? no! What? Munchkin can take one and a half hours but the amount of time increases massively as the group size increases. It is pretty much impossible to get anything done with that many people hurling cards. It might be fun with more people but when you hit 5/6 it can get to 3 hours plus.

kestrel404
2010-11-17, 12:36 PM
I'm going to buck the trend a bit and give advice on what NOT to play, and why.

You say tensions are running high in your club - I'm going to assume that this is due to personal issues and not 'midterm stress'. If the issue is midterm stress, the rest of my post does not apply and you can play whichever you want.

DO NOT PLAY:
Betrayal at House on the Hill - Singling out a person to be the 'bad guy' is a poor game mechanic for building club unity.
Battlestar Galactica - Same reason.
Paranoia - Dying repeatedly rubs a LOT of people the wrong way, even if you get to keep playing.
Apples to Apples - This game has started feuds amongst my In-Laws. This game is lighthearted and fun, right up until it someone takes it personally and then nobody has any fun anymore.

What you should play instead:
Fluxx is a game written by a couple of hippies, and it shows. There is literally no way to get angry over a game of fluxx that I've ever seen.
Toon is a very fun, very simple RPG where you play a cartoon character. It is so unrealistic that it's often hilarious, simple enough to pick up in 5 minutes. It's also unrealistic and lighthearted enough that somebody in a bad mood isn't going to freak out no matter what happens.

TL;DR - Play silly games that don't single out individual players for any reason.

BRC
2010-11-17, 12:52 PM
I'm going to buck the trend a bit and give advice on what NOT to play, and why.

You say tensions are running high in your club - I'm going to assume that this is due to personal issues and not 'midterm stress'. If the issue is midterm stress, the rest of my post does not apply and you can play whichever you want.

DO NOT PLAY:

Paranoia - Dying repeatedly rubs a LOT of people the wrong way, even if you get to keep playing.
Apples to Apples - This game has started feuds amongst my In-Laws. This game is lighthearted and fun, right up until it someone takes it personally
If you keep the game silly enough, and the players realize that repeated, constant death is a part of the game it rarely causes problems. In my experience, Players took death in stride provided they died in an amusing way. My group frequently brags about the ways they've died in paranoia (Jumping onto a warbot activating an entire box of experimental grenades, getting launched into space by a mutant power so fast scanners identified you as an ICBM, ect). The goal is to not make the death's seem arbitrary and cruel, like you were just saying "Oh, by the way, you die".

As for Apples to Apples, I fail to see how one could take that game "Personally", unless your names are written on blank cards and people start submitting them for unsavory adjectives. Do you have players submit the Noun cards anonymously? If the Judge knows who submitted which cards, you could have problems as accusations of favoritism keep getting thrown around.

I don't know, my experience with these games have always been lighthearted and fun, so I have trouble picturing them any other way.

Dimers
2010-11-17, 03:56 PM
Bohnanza is a card-based game about bean farming. It's easy to pick up -- uncomplicated rules, no missing clauses. It runs about 50 minutes, with pretty wide variance.

Carcassone is certainly playable within an hour and a half, for people who already know the game. The same is true for Small World, which is a fantastic but confusing strategy game. For you GMs out there, Small World is also a very interesting way to generate the history and racial layout of a game world ...

Word games: Boggle can last any amount of time you want it to, Quiddler runs about an hour fifteen, UpWords is highly variable but should be within your hour-and-a-half limit regardless.

RebelRogue
2010-11-17, 05:55 PM
I've found Shadows over Camelot to be a lot of fun. You can roleplay in it if you want to (it's kind of expected, really), and the endless accusations of treachery never gets old.

I might be the only one, but Munchkin get a -1 from me. Sure, some of the cards are funny... the first time you play it. The game in itself is pretty boring, really. At least I think so. Obviously, YMMV here.

Talyn
2010-11-17, 06:01 PM
Seconding this. Quelf is amazing for lightheartedness and laughter. Me, I use it with alcohol, but it's certainly not necessary to have fun.

(Ever wanted to be a can-can dancer? No? Too bad! That's Quelf for you.)

See, that, right there, is why Quelf is not a good game for people who are not a) pretty goofy people and b) know each other well.

If anyone is a competitive minded person and/or unwilling to look like an idiot (which, in a school gaming group, is going to be somebody) Quelf is extremely un-fun.

However, I am happy to +1 Munchkin and Last Night on Earth.