PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Price Check

Rasman
2010-11-16, 01:27 AM
I'm trying to create Cestus of Beautiful Alchemy. They're +1 Cestus that 9 times a day allow you to cast Earthreaver, 5th level Wiz/Sorc spell, subbing the fire damage for electricity. My calculations bring their price in at 50,305gp to make. Can someone check my math for me please and if I'm wrong, explain why I'm wrong?

Also, what would it cost to add the spell Spike Stones at least once, maybe 3 times, a day?

herrhauptmann
2010-11-16, 01:48 AM
Unless there's an item which grants you spike stones already, here's my calculation. (Thinking of it as a +1 Cestus, which is also a wondrous item with those two powers. Though a 'sentient' magic item could be granted those as powers/major powers. And you could save cost by making it an item familiar)
Spike stones: level(4)*caster(7) *2000=56000
3 per day is 60% of that. so 33600
Earth reaver:
5*9*2000=90000
Charges per day: multiply by .2 for 1/day. .4 for 2/day. .6 for 3/day (which is 54000)
OR
If it has a limited number of charges (50), divide by 2. If it has fewer than 50, take a ratio.
I'm going to say that the 'hands' slot is an appropriate item slot, so it won't cost extra for unusual bodyslot.
Take the two effects (spike stones, and earth reaver). Multiply the lower one by 1.5, and add both together.
Add in cost for a +1 cestus

However, there's many ways to calculate this. I'm just using the SRD right now. What method did you use to get 50k?

Rasman
2010-11-16, 02:22 AM
Unless there's an item which grants you spike stones already, here's my calculation. (Thinking of it as a +1 Cestus, which is also a wondrous item with those two powers. Though a 'sentient' magic item could be granted those as powers/major powers. And you could save cost by making it an item familiar)
Spike stones: level(4)*caster(7) *2000=56000
3 per day is 60% of that. so 33600
Earth reaver:
5*9*2000=90000
Charges per day: multiply by .2 for 1/day. .4 for 2/day. .6 for 3/day (which is 54000)
OR
If it has a limited number of charges (50), divide by 2. If it has fewer than 50, take a ratio.
I'm going to say that the 'hands' slot is an appropriate item slot, so it won't cost extra for unusual bodyslot.
Take the two effects (spike stones, and earth reaver). Multiply the lower one by 1.5, and add both together.
Add in cost for a +1 cestus

However, there's many ways to calculate this. I'm just using the SRD right now. What method did you use to get 50k?

I just used the calculations that the Pathfinder SRD gives, but I'm REALLY bad with the math aspect of this, so that's why I wanted to ask for help, the original number is without the Spike Stones.

The Charges are per day, so no limited number of charges.

I just didn't understand the "Charges Per Day" part since on the SRD it reads...

Charges per day Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)

Total it would seem to come to 104,700.

also, thanks a ton for your time...I would have just been playing guessing games if it weren't for you.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-16, 01:27 PM
Yeah that per day thing through me off originally as well. But it's basically saying that a 5/day wondrous item costs as much as an infinite use wondrous item.
So say it's a 1/day. 5 divided by 1 is 5. So divide cost by 5, or multiply by the inverse: 0.2
2/day, 5 divided by 2 is 2.5. Divide cost by 2.5, or multiply by .4
And so on.

Anyway, it's not like Alex would need to worry about cost. That Ward Cestus has been passed down in the Armstrong family for Generations.

Pathfinder costs, I'm sure they're different, but I don't know jack about Pathfinder.
And MiC also has rules for crafting items which differ from those in the SRD.

Check out intelligent items. Some of the dedicated powers listed are level 3 and 4 spells, two or three times a day. And cost LESS than the enchantments currently on the cestus. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm
Besides, is it really so bad that he's 12th level? Alchemists that can fight are automatically more awesome than normal people. Most have outstanding combat abilities, except maybe Roy, who pretty much stands still and burns people to ash.

Rasman
2010-11-17, 02:33 AM
Yeah that per day thing through me off originally as well. But it's basically saying that a 5/day wondrous item costs as much as an infinite use wondrous item.
So say it's a 1/day. 5 divided by 1 is 5. So divide cost by 5, or multiply by the inverse: 0.2
2/day, 5 divided by 2 is 2.5. Divide cost by 2.5, or multiply by .4
And so on.

Anyway, it's not like Alex would need to worry about cost. That Ward Cestus has been passed down in the Armstrong family for Generations.

Pathfinder costs, I'm sure they're different, but I don't know jack about Pathfinder.
And MiC also has rules for crafting items which differ from those in the SRD.

Check out intelligent items. Some of the dedicated powers listed are level 3 and 4 spells, two or three times a day. And cost LESS than the enchantments currently on the cestus. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm
Besides, is it really so bad that he's 12th level? Alchemists that can fight are automatically more awesome than normal people. Most have outstanding combat abilities, except maybe Roy, who pretty much stands still and burns people to ash.

Pathfinder and 3.5 creating like this are practically the same, so you're spot on. Earthreaver is a 5th level spell, so it would be much higher and the idea of intelligent Cestus is...Armstrong has it hard enough...

I'd LOVE to find a way to make Roy's Gloves though, they'd be expensive as HELL. Would still be interesting.

The reason I'm disappointed he'd have to be level 12 is that in my current campaign, if my character died, I wouldn't be able to play him for another 4 levels.