PDA

View Full Version : Girl Thread VI!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Lioness
2010-11-16, 03:14 AM
Because thread V sort of died...about a year ago.

Welcome to the girls!
Welcome to the guys too, but be warned, things might get squicky.
Also, it's not intended to be a relationship advice thread. We've got one of those :smalltongue:
Having said that, feel free to ask questions about girly things...just try to stay respectful.

So! Discuss girly things, my friends!

To start...anyone got an effective way to lessen cramp pains, bar taking painkillers? All I want to do is curl up...ouch.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 03:19 AM
Yay! Girly crap :smallbiggrin:

Yes, that is how I refer to 'feminine hygiene products' :smalltongue:

To start...anyone got an effective way to lessen cramp pains, bar taking painkillers? All I want to do is curl up...ouch.

Heat pack. Hot water bottle. Or, I hate to say it - exercise :smalltongue: seriously, what you need is to relax the muscles. Heat will relax them, but so will going for a walk - it stretches the muscles out and makes it much better.

Having said that, cramps are about the only thing I'll actually take painkillers for, so I'll say - take some in the first case if you haven't already :smalltongue:

Lioness
2010-11-16, 03:29 AM
Yay! Girly crap :smallbiggrin:

Yes, that is how I refer to 'feminine hygiene products' :smalltongue:

Heat pack. Hot water bottle. Or, I hate to say it - exercise :smalltongue: seriously, what you need is to relax the muscles. Heat will relax them, but so will going for a walk - it stretches the muscles out and makes it much better.

Having said that, cramps are about the only thing I'll actually take painkillers for, so I'll say - take some in the first case if you haven't already :smalltongue:

Took some painkillers...but there's still a sort of dull ache...
It's not even that painful, just tiring...because it's there all the time.

Mebbe I'll put my electric blanket on and crawl into bed...that's warm

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 03:43 AM

I know the feeling... direct heat right on the spot that's sore works best, but any heat should help.

dish
2010-11-16, 04:20 AM
I seem to recall that we used to have some kind of blurb at the beginning of the threads along the lines of:
a) Welcome to all females (including trans) and
b) Reminding any guys to be respectful
c) Reminding guys that this is not the 'Advice about girls' thread - that sort of stuff belongs in Relationship Woes and Advice.

I'd suggest a nice hot bubble bath and a glass of wine or some good quality chocolate (depending on your own preference).

SMEE
2010-11-16, 04:29 AM
All good suggestions so far.
Mine started today. They are being quite bad, it's 7:30 am and I have a whole full day of work ahead of me. It will be fun...
For me, chocolate and a hot water bottle are heaven to ease my pain.
Biking lessens it for a few minutes, then after my body cools down, it comes back with some extra pain to make up for that. :smallannoyed:

No painkillers I can buy around here make it easier to bear the pain. :smallsigh:

*shakes fist at non-existing womb* :smallfurious:

Edit: Also, yay! for new girl thread! :smallbiggrin:

Lioness
2010-11-16, 04:29 AM
I seem to recall that we used to have some kind of blurb at the beginning of the threads along the lines of:
a) Welcome to all females (including trans) and
b) Reminding any guys to be respectful
c) Reminding guys that this is not the 'Advice about girls' thread - that sort of stuff belongs in Relationship Woes and Advice.

Not a bad idea...shall edit that in.

I'd suggest a nice hot bubble bath and a glass of wine or some good quality chocolate (depending on your own preference).

I feel squicky takings baths with tampons though...I can, I jjust don't like it a lot.
Chocolate is good though.
Wine is currently illegal for me :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 04:34 AM
All good suggestions so far.
Mine started today. They are being quite bad, it's 7:30 am and I have a whole full day of work ahead of me. It will be fun...

Awww *hugs* that was me end of last week. I'm almost finished mine - can't actually remember when. I used to be seven days like clockwork. Now it just kind of peters out and I stop wearing pads when I get sick of them.

I feel squicky takings baths with tampons though...I can, I jjust don't like it a lot.

So don't wear one :smalltongue: It's not the end of the world, as long as you rinse out the tub afterwards. And if you don't tell anyone, they won't know :smalltongue:

Lioness
2010-11-16, 04:38 AM
Awww *hugs* that was me end of last week. I'm almost finished mine - can't actually remember when. I used to be seven days like clockwork. Now it just kind of peters out and I stop wearing pads when I get sick of them.

Heh...mine's weird like this too. Used to be regular as...now it's not so much. Variations of about a week or so, usually late. I don't even bother keeping track of the dates...I just sorta feel "Oh, I'm feeling tired/icky/cramp. Time to start carrying around girly stuff with me"
And it used to be ridiculously heavy for the first 3 days. Now it's only heavy on the second (oh, crap, exam tomorrow. Nicely timed, nature :smallmad:) and light for the rest.

So don't wear one :smalltongue: It's not the end of the world, as long as you rinse out the tub afterwards. And if you don't tell anyone, they won't know :smalltongue:

Heh...I'm easily squicked :smalltongue:. I'd feel weird.

SMEE
2010-11-16, 04:44 AM
It has been almost two years now, and I still don't know how or why I get it, but every 28 days or so it's there.
It's playing nicer now, with the whole 28 day cycle... before it used to be between 20 and 24 days... :smalleek:

The lack of a womb also means I don't have to deal with the tampons bit, though. And I don't know whether it's good or not. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 04:48 AM
GIRL THREAD WOOO!http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/248/6/5/dragon_knight_by_ekoputeh-d2kav5w.jpg
So. Who wants to teach me to do my hair? :smallsigh:

Lioness
2010-11-16, 04:49 AM
It has been almost two years now, and I still don't know how or why I get it, but every 28 days or so it's there.
It's playing nicer now, with the whole 28 day cycle... before it used to be between 20 and 24 days... :smalleek:

The lack of a womb also means I don't have to deal with the tampons bit, though. And I don't know whether it's good or not. :smallfrown:

It's good...I suppose. They're a bother to deal with and remember to change, especially when bleeding becomes light.

(Note to nature: Next time, can we have the babies without the bleeding? Thanks)

Rawhide
2010-11-16, 04:55 AM
Wine is currently illegal for me :smalltongue:

Not if your parents supply it to you, in limited quantities (i.e. not enough to get drunk), in your own home.

Lioness
2010-11-16, 04:59 AM
Not if your parents supply it to you, in limited quantities (i.e. not enough to get drunk), in your own home.

"Mum, can I have some wine? My womb hurts."

Rawhide
2010-11-16, 05:03 AM

"Mum, I'd really like to try some wine. If I give you the money, can you buy a bottle of wine and then you can supply it to me, under supervision, at no more than one glass per night? I'm not looking to get drunk, but it is something I'd like to try, responsibly, now that I'm approaching 18."

Lioness
2010-11-16, 05:11 AM
"Mum, I'd really like to try some wine. If I give you the money, can you buy a bottle of wine and then you can supply it to me, under supervision, at no more than one glass per night? I'm not looking to get drunk, but it is something I'd like to try, responsibly, now that I'm approaching 18."

Fair point.
I can't help thinking it will taste bad though.

I might just wait until I'm 18, because...I dunno...mum is odd about things like that.

Lillith
2010-11-16, 05:16 AM
I just keep swallowing the pill to avoid those 'monthly visits'. I really hate them cause they hurt like hell and is just plain gross. Since I don't want kids I'm thinking about well, getting myself fixed so I don't have to get monthly visits for nothing. ^^" But that's maybe a bit drastic.

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 05:23 AM
"Mum, I'd really like to try some wine. If I give you the money, can you buy a bottle of wine and then you can supply it to me, under supervision, at no more than one glass per night? I'm not looking to get drunk, but it is something I'd like to try, responsibly, now that I'm approaching 18."Mine went more like this: "Hey, [Serpentine]. I'll teach you how to drink wine."

Lioness
2010-11-16, 05:24 AM
Mine went more like this: "Hey, [Serpentine]. I'll teach you how to drink wine."

Heh.

Mum's got a Cruiser in the fridge, and it's been there for about a year...I'm starting to wonder whether she's saving it for my 18th...

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 05:30 AM
Well, there was also this:

Sister: "You're going to a party? Ask mum to buy you some drinks. Better that she knows what you're drinking! She'll be fine with it - she bought me booze all the time."

Me: "Um... Mum? Would you consider buying me a few drinks to take to this party?"
Mum: "WHAT?! I am not going to support my daughter's underage drinking! Ragh ragh ragh!"
later...
Mum: "Okay, I'll buy you one."
later...
No booze, me not willing to ask again.

Stoopid sister :smallannoyed:

SMEE
2010-11-16, 05:32 AM
I just keep swallowing the pill to avoid those 'monthly visits'. I really hate them cause they hurt like hell and is just plain gross. Since I don't want kids I'm thinking about well, getting myself fixed so I don't have to get monthly visits for nothing. ^^" But that's maybe a bit drastic.

Funny how it works.
The pill is exactly what give mine. :smallbiggrin:

Have you considered getting an implant like Implanon? Might be worth looking at it since you don't want to have kids now.

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 05:34 AM
Implanon's pretty great. And more reliable than surgical sterilisation!
Although I am apprehensive about getting it removed...

Lillith
2010-11-16, 05:35 AM
Funny how it works.
The pill is exactly what give mine. :smallbiggrin:

Have you considered getting an implant like Implanon? Might be worth looking at it since you don't want to have kids now.

Call me stupid but what's Implanon? :smallredface:

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 05:38 AM
It's a contraceptive implant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon). They stick it in your arm, and it lasts a couple of years. Effectiveness table (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_birth_control_methods#Comparison_tab le).

Sholos
2010-11-16, 05:40 AM
Forgive me for intruding, but one of my female friends swears by red raspberry tea for that sort of thing.

EDIT: The periods, not as a contraceptive.

SMEE
2010-11-16, 05:40 AM
It's an sub dermal implant that is inserted on your upper arm and releases hormone for around three years, acting as an contraceptive.

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 05:42 AM
Mine went more like this: "Hey, [Serpentine]. I'll teach you how to drink wine."

Could've been worse, mine went like "I'm-a teach you how to drive." 5 years later, they finally realize they neglected to do this while worrying over my brother and just enroll me in a driver's ed program. :smallsigh:

Lillith
2010-11-16, 05:43 AM
Hmmm, I never heard of that. That might be interesting if I ever get married. I'm one of those girls that doesn't want kids ever, so I'm severely paranoid of ever getting knocked up. 'Better safe then sorry' and all that. I use the pill for one reason cause I can 'check' if I'm still having my visits. ^^" Though that implant might be a good idea for marriage. Saves fussing.

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 05:47 AM
You can still get your/some period. I get enough to know it's working.
Did I mention it's more reliable than surgical sterilisation?

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 06:04 AM
...I just sorta feel "Oh, I'm feeling tired/icky/cramp. Time to start carrying around girly stuff with me"
And it used to be ridiculously heavy for the first 3 days. Now it's only heavy on the second (oh, crap, exam tomorrow. Nicely timed, nature :smallmad:) and light for the rest.

Yeah, that's how I tell. I get warning signs about a week in advance.

How odd, mine is only really heavy on the second as well. I think mine finishes tomorrow - but I could really do away with protection, there's nothing left any more!

GIRL THREAD WOOO!

That is an awesome picture :smallbiggrin:

And it depends on what you want to do with your hair. I have recently discovered a neat ability to do french twists...

It's better than my husband's response when I complain "Ohh, you've got wombache". He gets hit. And he knows he'll get hit, he just can't help himself.

A word on the implanon as well:
I had one in and I hated it.

I found the constant flow of hormones incredibly hard to handle. So much so that I got sick of it and got it removed. I've never been on the pill, but as I understand it, it's not a constant flow of hormones, you have the 'break' when you get your period. With implanon, they're there all the time, and for me and my body - it was too much. I was constantly moody, constantly weepy, it affected my libido - I think... I hated it. So I had it removed, and I am so glad I did.

Serps - getting it removed you'll respond pretty much the same as you did when getting inserted. When I got mine inserted, I was a nightmare for a month (just as the documentation says will likely happen). Once I got it removed, it was about a month for my body to calm down again and then I was fine.

It's a great option if you don't want to remember to take pills or you're like me and you can't swallow tablets. But hey, like everything it has its down sides too.
edit: yeah, you will get periods, but they're not as bad and don't last as long. At least, they weren't for me.

Also - shaved my legs in the shower and they're so nice and smoooth... :smallcool:

Lioness
2010-11-16, 06:08 AM
It's better than my husband's response when I complain "Ohh, you've got wombache". He gets hit. And he knows he'll get hit, he just can't help himself.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/period.png

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 06:08 AM
Eh. So far as I'm aware I had no side-effects whatsoever*. But, I did get it inserted at about the same time as the impact of my break-up was hitting me.
Hmm... Think I could blame all my bad behaviour on that? :smallamused:

*Disclaimer: Wisdom 6.

SMEE
2010-11-16, 06:11 AM
Regarding leg shaving, I prefer doing hot wax epilation.
It hurts a lot, but my legs remain smooth, look and feel great for so much longer.

Which reminds me, I got to wax them this week.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-16, 06:11 AM
...wait, you get periods even after pregnancy? None of my family did... nor anyone I know. My sister got married and then promptly got pregnant because hers were nearly crippling. Well, that is, she wanted a baby, that was the main thing, but lack of periods was also in the considering.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 06:12 AM
*snip*

He gets hit when he brings that up too :smalltongue: Only when I've actually got my period though. At any other time it's hilarious.

Eh. So far as I'm aware I had no side-effects whatsoever*. But, I did get it inserted at about the same time as the impact of my break-up was hitting me.
Hmm... Think I could blame all my bad behaviour on that? :smallamused:

*Disclaimer: Wisdom 6.

Lucky sod :smalltongue:

Mine was a nightmare. I've got a friend who had it as well, and she had the same problems I did. I am very jealous that it works for you, because it's the only 'medical' contraceptive that's really viable for me. I can't swallow tablets, I've heard way too many bad things about the injections, and the thought of sticking anything up there on even a semi-permanent basis creeps me out. There's a reason I won't wear tampons - even in 40 degree heat I still wear pads.

And now I'm grossing myself out so I'm gonna shut up...

SMEE
2010-11-16, 06:13 AM
Yup, you do.
But in MOST cases, the cramps get much lighter after pregnancy.
But the period and the bleeding are still there.

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 06:13 AM
VT: Huh? Where'd you get that from? :smallconfused:
Wait, do you mean you thought that women don't get periods after they've given birth? Yeah, they do - if they didn't, they'd be infirtile. Period = fertility. No period after childbirth = no second children.
But, I think I have heard that the cramps can be reduced.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 06:14 AM
It hurts a lot, but my legs remain smooth, look and feel great for so much longer.

I had my legs waxed once - for my wedding. It hurt so much I vowed I'd never do it again... though sometimes I do miss the length of time it took for the hair to grow back.

Urban myth?

Lioness
2010-11-16, 06:15 AM

I waxed for ages...but then we got to a point where mum got sick of taking us to the hairdresser and bought a waxing set...I can still do my own, but it takes twice as long as shaving and hurts much more.

I still wax where possible, but it's been winter, so I've let the hair grow and then suddenly realise I need smooth legs for some reason...

SMEE
2010-11-16, 06:15 AM
Lucky sod :smalltongue:

Mine was a nightmare. I've got a friend who had it as well, and she had the same problems I did. I am very jealous that it works for you, because it's the only 'medical' contraceptive that's really viable for me. I can't swallow tablets, I've heard way too many bad things about the injections, and the thought of sticking anything up there on even a semi-permanent basis creeps me out. There's a reason I won't wear tampons - even in 40 degree heat I still wear pads.

Hmm.
Have you considered trying hormonal patches?
Might be a viable option for you.

Edit:
@^
You tell me about it hurting a lot. :smalltongue:
I have really long legs. It takes almost an hour to wax it all. >.<
But it's not as painful as some *ahem* other places, and shaving tends to make my legs itchy after 3 or 4 days.
Waxing is the only way for me.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-16, 06:16 AM
Because my mom, sister, aunts, etc say they never had any afterwards?

I was like 'I... did not know that.'

(My mother and sister are notoriously open about female bits. I think my being eldest of 10 with five sisters has something to do with it.)

I mean, obviously internally something happens, but they said they've never felt or seen anything after at all.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 06:16 AM
I still wax where possible, but it's been winter, so I've let the hair grow and then suddenly realise I need smooth legs for some reason...

I rarely shave in winter... I wear trousers so who cares?

I will though when I think 'wow that hairs getting long, I should shave it before it becomes impossible for my razor to get through'

Smee - I hadn't thought of that... I'm not sure they're available over here...

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 06:20 AM
Because my mom, sister, aunts, etc say they never had any afterwards?

I was like 'I... did not know that.'

(My mother and sister are notoriously open about female bits. I think my being eldest of 10 with five sisters has something to do with it.)

I mean, obviously internally something happens, but they said they've never felt or seen anything after at all.After they had kids, they never had their periods (not, say, cramps) again? That's... kinda worrying, actually :smallconfused: Have they asked a doctor about it?
But, iirc you have a huge family, so I guess it mustn't have an impact on fertility. Perhaps it's become so light that they don't notice it?
Regardless, it is, shall we say, not the norm. Most women have their periods from puberty until menopause with breaks only due to pregnancy, contraception or malnutrition.

Lioness
2010-11-16, 06:20 AM
Edit:
@^
You tell me about it hurting a lot. :smalltongue:
I have really long legs. It takes almost an hour to wax it all. >.<
But it's not as painful as some *ahem* other places, and shaving tends to make my legs itchy after 3 or 4 days.
Waxing is the only way for me.

Eheh. Wax ain't going near any "other" places. Ooooooowww.

But I hear you with the itchy. It happens sometimes, and not others. I think that if I exfoliate more, they don't get as itchy.

Has anyone tried laser hair removal or similar? Worried about laser in case it hurts more than waxing...

SMEE
2010-11-16, 06:22 AM
Blonde hair here, so laser usually doesn't work. And thus, I haven't tried it yet.
I have tried electrolysis, though. If you think waxing hurts a lot, stay clear from it...

Lillith
2010-11-16, 06:22 AM
I should prolly wax my legs more often, but I get them done by someone. I suck at it. In the winter I'm less likely to do it cause then at least my legs are half a degree warmer. :smallbiggrin: Also having a LDR means no boyfriend to complain about hairy legs. I'm lazy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-16, 06:24 AM
After they had kids, they never had their periods (not, say, cramps) again? That's... kinda worrying, actually :smallconfused: Have they asked a doctor about it?
But, iirc you have a huge family, so I guess it mustn't have an impact on fertility. Perhaps it's become so light that they don't notice it?
Regardless, it is, shall we say, not the norm. Most women have their periods from puberty until menopause with breaks only due to pregnancy, contraception or malnutrition.
*spreads hands*

Beats me. I just know they say there is no pain or blood. My sister at first was like, 'Yeeeeah right' but her best friends claim the same thing. By coincidence all of them also happen to have grandparents from the same 5 square miles we found (little area in north Georgia called Blue Ridge). Maybe its some inherited mutation?

Pretty sure they never been to the doctor about it. Thought it natural or something.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 06:26 AM
Eheh. Wax ain't going near any "other" places. Ooooooowww.

I did once. For my wedding again... never ever doing it again. It hurt. A lot.

But I hear you with the itchy. It happens sometimes, and not others. I think that if I exfoliate more, they don't get as itchy.

Moisteriser :smallsmile: at least, that works for me. I have gotten itchy to the point where I needed a hydrocortisone cream to get rid of it. I have extremely sensitive skin, so I have to be careful about when I shave. If I do it too early and don't let the hair grow back enough, I get a bad rash.

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 06:26 AM
They should, if only cuz I reckon it'd weird the doctor out (or, alternatively, they'll have a perfectly reasonable explaination).
I'd ask my mum, but 1. she's in Bali, and 2. I am apparently incapable of asking her about medical things in the exact right way to make it okay to ask :smallsigh:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-16, 06:30 AM
Hahaha. I can just go up to my mom or sister and say, 'So, tell me about your periods' and they'll be 'Ok, so what happened is...'

Despite this they all waited for marriage. Just... we're a medically open family I suppose :smallwink:

My mom being a midwife, and grandmother a nurse probably aids that.

Asta Kask
2010-11-16, 06:51 AM
Has anyone considered throwing off the shackles of male oppression and not shave their legs? I think it's fairly ridiculous myself - I've never been put off by hairy legs. As long as we're not talking fur.

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 06:55 AM
My sister got threatened with a firing for not shaving her legs. Was told it was "unhygienic" or somesuch nonsense.
I feel better with shaved legs. And stockings feel really gross on hairy legs :smallyuk:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 06:56 AM
Has anyone considered throwing off the shackles of male oppression and not shave their legs? I think it's fairly ridiculous myself - I've never been put off by hairy legs. As long as we're not talking fur.

I've never seen the big fuss here, either. Except for stubble. I HATE stubble. *grumbles and goes off to shave face* >.>

Heliomance
2010-11-16, 06:58 AM
I far prefer hairless legs. On myself, that is. I really hate razor rash though >_> SO ITCHY

Yes, I'm a guy. What of it?

Skeppio
2010-11-16, 07:05 AM
I far prefer hairless legs. On myself, that is. I really hate razor rash though >_> SO ITCHY

Yes, I'm a guy. What of it?

You're not the only one. I've never shaved my legs, but I'm getting sick of this bloody hair... It's just a matter of getting off my ass and taking a razor to it, I s'pose.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-16, 07:05 AM
I prefer hair on my legs. Then again, all my limb locks are blonde so don't really notice. I just kind of shimmer in the light. Some guys just look more natural with it. I'm one of them. It'd be weird to have a smooth chest... blech.

My aforementioned sister married a spanish fella who has almost no hair, which she says she prefers. May be the fact all the males in my family are quite furry :smalltongue:

I love women with long head hair... but will admit I really don't care for it anywhere else. Except for redheads. Saw one with unshaved legs recently even and didn't bother me at all.

Redheads just make everything alright :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Don't mind blonde hairs either. Ok, apparently I'm just prejudiced against darker hairs. Brunettes and ravenheads, to your razors!

Heliomance
2010-11-16, 07:12 AM
I'm trying to work up the courage to wax mine. I've tried before, got as far as doing my ankles, and then given up cos it hurt too much.

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 07:12 AM
I feel better with shaved legs. And stockings feel really gross on hairy legs :smallyuk:

Wouldn't it pinch or pull the hair? :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 07:13 AM
Uh... Pretty much, yes?

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 07:16 AM
Uh... Pretty much, yes?

Sounds like gross was an understatement then like it had seemed then. Ok. Was clarifying on that.

CWater
2010-11-16, 07:59 AM
I've never shaved my legs, never needed to. And I do wear skirts during all seasons except winter (which takes up almost a third of the year around here:smallannoyed:), my legs are just not hairy, like almost not at all. ...Yay genetics?:smallbiggrin:

Lillith
2010-11-16, 08:02 AM
Weird, for me it never hurts anymore. It did the first few times, waxing I mean. It only hurts if I do my eyebrows. But legs (and in summer my arms) doesn't really hurt for me at all. Near painless.

Syka
2010-11-16, 08:09 AM
Lillith, I'm like you with my periods and the not wanting of spawn thing. I was so happy the day my Dr. let me go to semi-continuous BC (I take the Pill for three months, then have a week break). It's wonderful.

Moreta, you had the issues with Implanon, yes? It may not have been the constant dose but the amount of the dose. I was briefly on a regular dose of estrogen (three months the 'normal' way, three months without a break), and went NUTS. I was seriously psycho during that six months. I hated it. Went back to my low-dose Pill, and I've had no emotional issues (other than those with an identifiable cause) since. Oz noticed a drastic difference. It's why I will never do the shot or implanon, and would only do a copper IUD (which...I probably shouldn't because I think I have a nickel allergy...>>).

Maybe see if they have a low-dose version, though?

I've also considered surgical sterilization, but even if they just remove the ovaries, you apparently can still get bleeding. Plus it's very difficult to find a reputable doctor willing to do that to a woman under 30. So, I'm just sticking with the Pill and loving 4 periods a year.

On shaving: I actually don't mind. I prefer having smooth legs, but I only shave once a week. Any more than that and I get razor burn, longer than that and it annoys me. Oz has never complained when I haven't had a chance to shave, mostly because he feels my pain. His ex had him shave somewhere once (and plucked his eyebrows!), so he understands the effort and time that goes in to it.

I've perfected my shaving routine, though. Shick Quattro, shave in the shower/bath/somewhere with water (no cream). Use lotion on my legs and aloe vera gel on the bikini line immediately afterwards. Once my legs and such got used to the routine, there were no issues. I found it took about 4-6 weeks to get used to it (minimal itching, etc).

Also, if you are allergic to perfumes and such and can't use most lotions, aloe vera gel is WONDERFUL. You can often get it with Vitamin E added, which helps with the moisturizing.

Asta Kask
2010-11-16, 11:46 AM

According to SCIENCE! (http://www.nj.com/insidejersey/index.ssf/2010/04/science_consciousness_and_the.html), treasure type 'O' is very effective in releiving pain.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 11:52 AM
According to SCIENCE! (http://www.nj.com/insidejersey/index.ssf/2010/04/science_consciousness_and_the.html), treasure type 'O' is very effective in releiving pain.

...before reading this article, I was unaware that it was possible to donate an orgasm. To science, no less.

Mary Leathert
2010-11-16, 12:27 PM
I mostly don't shave. But then again, I'm not in a relationship, and well, it's Finland, so my legs are covered for most of the year. As is most of the rest of my body. And I rarely use stockings. So there is practically no reason for me to shave regularly.

But I don't use make-up either, and I would like to think that I don't need to. Not because I consider myself especially pretty or having smooth skin, quite the opposite. But I'd like to think that people are not so superficial that make-up is required for a person to be seen as attractive.

cycoris
2010-11-16, 12:35 PM

I'm doing this. Well, for now. I might end up shaving in the spring/summer when I stop wearing jeans or tights under my skirts, but I'm trying to figure out if I actually prefer shaved legs or if I just shave my legs out of habit/societal pressure/what-have-you.

Thankfully, all the people who matter don't really care. And I've gotten past the stubble part, so now it's just nice not to have to worry about the horrible, HORRIBLE rashes I used to get from shaving. And I no longer use a tub of lotion a month.

For those of you who are shaving though, I've found that cocoa butter is relatively cheap and works really well if you slather it on before drying off. I don't think my skin could live without it, especially in the winter. Darn you, desert. :smallannoyed:

On make-up, the only kind I've ever worn is stage make-up. Oddly enough, the idea of wearing make-up every day just to look nice/professional really bothers me, but I wouldn't mind make-up that very obviously was not supposed to look natural. I mean, at least then you're not creating this almost achievable standard to which people should aspire, and it becomes more like art. For this reason, I've contemplated maybe someday just doing really brightly coloured cateyes every day, and no other make-up. :smallcool:

Lillith
2010-11-16, 01:29 PM
Well I would wax my legs more often if I wasn't so lazy/it didn't cost so much. I don't really do it for my boyfriend since I've already been waxing my legs before I met him. It's just such a nice feeling to run your finger along your leg and it's so smooooth and soooft. :smallcool: And you won't get hairs stuck in your pantyhose/tights/what do you call these things in English?

Quincunx
2010-11-16, 01:39 PM
"A [bleep]ing horrible idea."

In American English, pantyhose are the sheer see-through ones and tights are the thicker ones.

Are they making razors crappier now or something? I swear, out of my last two packs of disposables, not one of them has lasted out the month. We moved house in the meanwhile and they might be stored in a more humid environment, but that shouldn't have any impact on the edge going dull, should it?

Asta Kask
2010-11-16, 01:42 PM
You need to keep your razors in a pyramid. :smalltongue:

Savannah
2010-11-16, 02:49 PM

How long is it and what do you want to do with it?

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-16, 03:25 PM
"A [bleep]ing horrible idea."

In American English, pantyhose are the sheer see-through ones and tights are the thicker ones.

I think the thick ones are also called "leggings"? Those only go down to the ankle, but so do a lot of "tights".

Having shaved my legs before, I would never pressure a lady to do it. It's awful. That said, I do have a slight preference for the shaven leg. But I have a lot of slight preferences.

Speaking of hair, what is the best thing to do when growing your hair long after it has been really short?

Ego Slayer
2010-11-16, 03:28 PM
Yep, shaving kinda sucks. I am sooo jealous of anyone who has really fine or light body hair. Grawrgh. It only takes a day before my legs are prickly and terrible again... I hate it. x.x Been thinking about doing something besides shaving but I dunno if I want to. >.<

Savannah
2010-11-16, 03:39 PM
Speaking of hair, what is the best thing to do when growing your hair long after it has been really short?

Do you mean getting it to grow or what to do with it now that it's longer? Or something else entirely?

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-16, 03:42 PM
Do you mean getting it to grow or what to do with it now that it's longer? Or something else entirely?

What to do with it in the time between it being "short hair" and "long hair". For us curly-haired types, the intermediate stage is...erm. Well.

I certainly could use tips on encouraging growth, though.

Lillith
2010-11-16, 04:05 PM
Well you could stick it up, braids, headbands. Personally I don't do a lot with my hair because it's frizzy and wax/hairspray won't let it stay. So I just walk around with a hairband and a ponytail. Still I have strains of hair that stick out everywhere.

Savannah
2010-11-16, 04:14 PM
Not sure I can help you much, then, as I've got really straight hair. When I was growing out my bangs, I used barrettes or a headband to keep them out of my eyes every day.

As for getting it longer, the two biggest things for me have been getting rid of split ends before they weaken my hair too much and changing how I wash it. For the splits, I trim the very ends of my hair every couple of months to get most of them (I generally take off 1 cm or less), and cut individual hairs above the splits about once a week (once you get most of them out, it doesn't take a ton of work to keep them out). You have a major advantage over me here; since your hair's been short you probably don't have that many splits.

For washing it, I shampoo just my scalp and just rinse the shampoo through the rest of my hair instead of washing all of my hair, as that keeps it clean without breaking it the way actually washing all of it does. Conditioner on just the long part helps keep it in nice shape. I also wash my hair only twice a week, as mine doesn't get too oily and if I washed it every day it would get way too dry and brittle (not to mention taking forever to dry all my hair!).

Keeping my hair braided also helps, since it's less likely to break. I'll even put it in two very loose braids before I go to bed so that I don't mess it up in my sleep. When combing long hair, it helps to start from the bottom and gradually work any knots out as you go up, since if you start at the top you'll force it to create a bigger knot down below, which will break hairs when you rip it out.

I got my hair from the middle of my back (where I thought it would never get any longer) to waist length like that. Now, I have really straight and rather weak hair to begin with, so I can't guarantee that it will help you, but it's what worked for me.

Oh, and dyeing, straightening, and otherwise messing with your hair weakens it a lot.

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 04:32 PM
Speaking of hair...does anyone have any ideas how to make a short cut look nice and formal and feminine? It's a sort of boyish pixie cut thing.

cycoris
2010-11-16, 04:54 PM
Speaking of hair...does anyone have any ideas how to make a short cut look nice and formal and feminine? It's a sort of boyish pixie cut thing.

Can't you just add a matching barrette or hairband or clip or something of the like? Butterfly clips are great for that. Or are you talking about a haircut you're thinking about getting?

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 04:57 PM
Can't you just add a matching barrette or hairband or clip or something of the like? Butterfly clips are great for that. Or are you talking about a haircut you're thinking about getting?

No, it's already cut. The main issue is that if I'm not very careful I just look like I'm 15. Any butterflies, bright flowers, etc. - same effect.

SMEE
2010-11-16, 04:59 PM
How is it possible that every period cramps feel worse than the last one? :smallyuk:

Today is being terrible. Not even chocolate is helping much.

cycoris
2010-11-16, 05:05 PM
No, it's already cut. The main issue is that if I'm not very careful I just look like I'm 15. Any butterflies, bright flowers, etc. - same effect.

Hmmm, by butterfly clips I meant claw clips. Always get the two confused. Something like this? I know they also come in neutral colours (tan, brown, black, clear) because I have a bunch.

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/434846/2306800/0/1150699830/hair_ornament__mini_claw_clip.jpg

EDIT: *hugs Smee*

Have you tried bananas? I usually hate them, but get a weird craving during my period, and they seem to help with cramps quite a bit. Especially bananas+chocolate.

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 05:31 PM
I think we'll need something more concrete than a few sentences of description to be able to identify the problem areas that can be addressed now and to be able to make suggestions about what to look into with your stylist to have more of a buffer against looking like a kid, sadly, warkitty.

But aside from that, do you seem to have more problems with this from the front, sides, back or very evenly distributed?

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-16, 05:39 PM
When I had a pixie cut I'd wear a barrette and some earrings.

On the subject of leg shaving, I like having shaved legs, but in the winter when I don't have to expose them I don't shave them as often as I should.

Keld Denar
2010-11-16, 05:45 PM
To anyone who lives in a larger city who wants an alternative to waxing, consider sugaring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugaring_(epilation)). I know there are only two places in all of Seattle that do it, and Seattle is pretty big. It hurts WAY less than waxing. I'd been waxing for ~3 years when I switched to sugaring about a year ago, and shaving for about 2 years prior to that. I'll never go back to shaving or waxing. I'm totally hooked. Sugar doesn't stick to your skin, unlike wax, and it isn't hot, so you don't have issues with sensatization due to heat. Its still pulling the hair out by the roots, but because there are no wax strips, the affected area is often smaller so there is less pain at any given time.

Plus, you smell like honey for the entire rest of the day! Whats not to love!

And yes, it works great for non-leg "intimate" areas. I stay completely smooth for ~2 full weeks, but when the hair starts to grow back in, it is so fine you can barely call it hair. Its pretty much the best thing ever. Tends to be a little bit more expensive than waxing though, from what I've seen. My appointments run $65 + tip every 4 weeks when I was used to paying ~$50 for the same service as a wax. So worth it, IMO, for the lack of pain, the quicker recovery, and I think it lasts longer and grows back finer than waxing.

I'll never go back to having hair "there" again. Ever.

SMEE
2010-11-16, 06:15 PM
I'd do sugaring if I ever find a place here that offers that service.
Meanwhile legs and other parts are being dealt with hot wax.
And other hair is being dealt with very painful electrolysis.

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-16, 06:40 PM
Have you tried bananas? I usually hate them, but get a weird craving during my period, and they seem to help with cramps quite a bit. Especially bananas+chocolate.

i'm not too well versed on medical-ish stuff, but cramps are usually caused potassium deficiency (i think this applies to those cramps too) and ze cravings you get are like your body saying "give me potassium"
edit: bananas have potassium. can't believe i forgot to mention that.

Keld Denar
2010-11-16, 06:47 PM
I thought we weren't allowed to discuss bananas on this forum...

CurlyKitGirl
2010-11-16, 06:50 PM
the thought of sticking anything up there on even a semi-permanent basis creeps me out. There's a reason I won't wear tampons - even in 40 degree heat I still wear pads.

*agrees with*
Icky, icky thoughts.

On shaving/waxing/etc: I hardly ever shave my legs; maybe three or four times a year, not including special occasions. And when I do I use stuff like Veet. It's quick and easy, and well, I tried waxing once. Yes, the results lasted longer, but it was painful.

Now, I find myself in need of advice.
Come end of the month I'm attending a white tie ball, and I need makeup and hair tips. Because I truly can't do a thing with either of them.
:smallsigh:
That's going to be the worst part of it now. Went shopping and bought the dress and shrug today.
I desise clothes shopping with a passion; but I now own one dress, so stuff.
It's iust that it frustrates me and tires me so much.
I'm shorter than average. But I'm also really curvy. And shops don't cater for that sort of person, so anger. And frustration. And getting worked up and near to tears after four hours of tramping around the city centre trying on dress after dress after dress after dress.
But it is over.
Only shoes, bag, makeup and hair to go.
Hence the asking of for hair and makeup tips.

As far as my hair goes . . . it's brown, reaches the bottom of my shoulder blades and is pretty ringlet-y. And extremely fine.

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-16, 06:54 PM
speaking of hair, how long should it be for a decent ponytail?

cycoris
2010-11-16, 06:56 PM
speaking of hair, how long should it be for a decent ponytail?

I don't know, but if it's anything resembling the monstrosity Westley from The Princess Bride had, then that's a huge NOT LONG ENOUGH. :smallyuk:

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-16, 06:58 PM
I don't know, but if it's anything resembling the monstrosity Westley from The Princess Bride had, then that's a huge NOT LONG ENOUGH. :smallyuk:

it's about a few centimeters from shoulder length in the back, i dont know how well that compares seeing as the last time i saw princess bride was freshman year

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 07:16 PM
i'm not too well versed on medical-ish stuff, but cramps are usually caused potassium deficiency (i think this applies to those cramps too) and ze cravings you get are like your body saying "give me potassium"
edit: bananas have potassium. can't believe i forgot to mention that.

In that vein, oranges are also a good source, so an orange-banana smoothie could be a good way to treat yourself.

Edit: Chocolate could probably be added into the mix for a net gain as well, but I'm lost as far as the best way to go about doing that.

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-16, 07:23 PM
In that vein, oranges are also a good source, so an orange-banana smoothie could be a good way to treat yourself.

dude, that's the best idea i've ever heard

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 09:07 PM
Hmmm, by butterfly clips I meant claw clips. Always get the two confused. Something like this? I know they also come in neutral colours (tan, brown, black, clear) because I have a bunch.

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/434846/2306800/0/1150699830/hair_ornament__mini_claw_clip.jpg

Not sure quite what I'd do with those. I used to wear them behind my ear when my hair was longer, but now they only get half my bangs anyways.

I think we'll need something more concrete than a few sentences of description to be able to identify the problem areas that can be addressed now and to be able to make suggestions about what to look into with your stylist to have more of a buffer against looking like a kid, sadly, warkitty.

But aside from that, do you seem to have more problems with this from the front, sides, back or very evenly distributed?

It's more an overall thing. I'm happy with it for everyday wear (and it lets me go out on my boy days), it's just annoying when I'm actually going somewhere fancy and want something a bit nicer than "dry and brush hair into usual style.

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 09:15 PM
It's more an overall thing. I'm happy with it for everyday wear (and it lets me go out on my boy days), it's just annoying when I'm actually going somewhere fancy and want something a bit nicer than "dry and brush hair into usual style.

I'm sure there's some way to accommodate both desires. You shouldn't be relying that much on length alone after all.

Serpentine
2010-11-16, 09:39 PM
How long is it and what do you want to do with it?Had a heavy trim a little while ago, so probably an inch past my shoulders? About halfway down my shoulderblades at the back.
And... anything :smallsigh: I wear it in ponytails, or I wear it half-up, and that's it. I used to be able to do okay buns, but I seem to have lost the knack. It's also slightly curly - ranging from flat to "why do I have horns on my head?" with occasionally just right with ringlets when it's behaving itself.

Hence the asking of for hair and makeup tips.Disclaimer: I wore self-applied real makeup for possibly the first time ever just a couple of weeks ago - for my Masked Stranger costume, which I've posted pictures of - so I'm not exactly an expert on this.
Anyway, for theory, unless you're applying it for decoration purposes, less is more. If you look like you're wearing makeup, then you're wearing too much.

Savannah
2010-11-16, 09:48 PM
I often french braid my own, although I can't for the life of me remember where I found the instructions....I might be able to find them again for you. I do a lot of regular braids, too. Yours should be long enough.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 09:49 PM
Hmm. Kitty, I used to know a girl who had quite short hair, and I seem to remember her wearing barrettes to look mor formal, though where or how, I don't remember.

Not sure what you mean by looking like a kid, either...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-16, 10:06 PM
Ok, was reading some stuff from male friends on my facebook and got to wondering. Do you girls really get a lot of the stereotypical 'I just don't understand women' kinda comments from guys? All that women are from Venus jazz?

Anyway, for theory, unless you're applying it for decoration purposes, less is more. If you look like you're wearing makeup, then you're wearing too much.
And amen to that.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 10:10 PM
I don't understand people, period. I tend to get along better with women, though. For some reason, the men I meet in RL are often dramatastic, while the women are much more calm and friendly.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-16, 10:13 PM
I don't understand people, period. I tend to get along far better with women, though. For some reason, the men I meet in RL are often dramatastic, while the women are much more calm and friendly.
I've always gotten along better with women myself, though I find no lessening of the drama... *murmurs*

Do tend to be more friendly, but then they also tend, in my opinion, to be less sincere. The friendliness isn't always friendliness. Guys may be a little less tactful in general, but I think they also tend to be slightly more honest... to a degree.

Was asking because I've never had the slightest problem understanding the opposite sex or where they're coming from. I may not agree with what I understand, but that goes for humans in general.

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 10:21 PM

On this note, anyone have a good way of explaining goth or punk makeup to parents of the more traditional makeup schools?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 10:29 PM
On this note, anyone have a good way of explaining goth or punk makeup to parents of the more traditional makeup schools?

Umm...explain how?

Obviously wearing makeup when you're trying to appear natural is a bad thing. Obviously wearing makeup when the makeup style is a fashion accessory is a good thing?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-11-16, 10:33 PM

Maybe you want to look dramatic instead of subtle? (Although many of the more "traditional" makeups are anything but subtle, in my opinion).

Then again, I don't wear any makeup at all, so I'm not exactly the best source of information. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 10:47 PM

Yeah, I don't think there's much luck you'd be having there if you can't get the idea of art as living performance across to 'em.

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 10:47 PM
Just one of those long-standing arguments I guess. I accept traditional "natural" makeup as a social grace. I enjoy goth/punk makeup. They're just two different worlds to me. Goth or punk makeup is more about showing off some cool patterns - I wear it for the reason I might wear a patterned shirt when a plain one would do just fine.

Of course, part of the issue is that I tend to view all makeup, clothing, etc. as a sort of performance.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 10:52 PM
Moreta, you had the issues with Implanon, yes? It may not have been the constant dose but the amount of the dose. I was briefly on a regular dose of estrogen (three months the 'normal' way, three months without a break), and went NUTS. I was seriously psycho during that six months. I hated it.

I hadn't thought of that... good point. It's only just come into Australia, so I'm not sure they have a lower dosage version available. Heck, I'm not even sure what dosage I was on. I'll think about it, thanks :smallsmile:

Also, if you are allergic to perfumes and such and can't use most lotions, aloe vera gel is WONDERFUL. You can often get it with Vitamin E added, which helps with the moisturizing.

I use... something that starts with 'A'... can't remember it now. It's got oatmeal and menthol in it, fantastic for itchy legs.

What to do with it in the time between it being "short hair" and "long hair". For us curly-haired types, the intermediate stage is...erm. Well.

Headbands - both of the solid variety and the soft cloth ones. Cloth ones are good for keeping your hair off your face, other ones look prettier :smallsmile: Pull it back into a half-pony tail... you could try tying it at the back of your head then pulling out strands and pinning them in place. If your hair is curly, you'll end up with a nice messy-bun.

Headband with diamantes or rinestones in it. Or bobby pins/small clips with a nice filigree pattern or something sparkly.

Speaking of - can someone please tell me what barrettes actually are? I'm confused :smallsmile:

It's iust that it frustrates me and tires me so much.
I'm shorter than average. But I'm also really curvy. And shops don't cater for that sort of person, so anger. And frustration. And getting worked up and near to tears after four hours of tramping around the city centre trying on dress after dress after dress after dress.
But it is over.
Hence the asking of for hair and makeup tips.

As far as my hair goes . . . it's brown, reaches the bottom of my shoulder blades and is pretty ringlet-y. And extremely fine.

Makeup
If you don't usually wear it, simple is best. I hate wearing makeup, but have to for work. At work I only wear foundation and lipstick/lipgloss. Frequently it wears off while I eat, so I end up spending the afternoon only wearing foundation. For more formal events, I add eyeshadow, mascara and eyeliner (if I'm feeling adventurous).

Liquid foundation is best, if you're not used to makeup, it's easier to apply I find. I use a cotton bud and dab some on cheeks, forehead, nose and chin, then use a sponge to rub it in. Stops me from going overboard. Don't forget to go right into your hairline as well, and under your chin & down your neck. You don't need to add any foundation here, there'll be enough on the sponge to stop any makeup lines.

When I go full out, I do foundation first, then eyeliner (if I'm using it), eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick last. Only use eyeliner if you've got a steady hand and you can cope getting right up near your eyes. I have a bit of a phobia about things going in/near my eyes so I tend to avoid it because I have a bad habit of giving myself really odd and uneven lines with it. Best tip I ever had with mascara was - gently set the brush against your lashes, gently wiggle it and then pull it out and up (for top lashes), out and down (for lower ones). It really does work.

Eyeshadow: generally comes in three colours to a compact. This tip I got from my sister. Darkest colour goes on the upper lid on the inside (closest to your nose). Middle colour on the outside of upper lid. Lightest colour covers the lower lid and you can brush lightly over the top as well. Be careful about going too far up the lid! I have this problem all the time... I end up going right to my eyebrows and look like a colourful but startled panda. You want to be able to see just a little bit when your eye is open, so aim for just above the point where your lower lid sits when your eye is open.

If you don't already own anything, go to a fairly high-end store. Take the dress, or if the shrug is the same colour as the dress, just take that. You need to match colours. Get them to test things on you, figure out what suits and what doesn't. If you want the more expensive stuff, go for it. Otherwise, take what they show you and go somewhere else to get it cheaper :smallsmile: A lot of high-end stores will do a cheap makeover for you, so you can see what it looks like, and give you pointers on how to do it yourself as well.

Hair
First off, if your hair is fine, you will need some sort of product to keep it up. Hairspray or some type of mousse. Also, make sure you wash your hair the day before the event. Hair goes up better when it's a little bit oily.

What you do with it depends on how formal you'd like to be. And whether you want elegant or something more 'modern'. You can't go wrong with a simple french twist. Easy as pie to do, and they look fantastic. You can leave it as is, or buy a small clip or pin to put in there. If your hair is ringletty already, a couple of strands left down to soften the face would be pretty.

My sister once put her hair into a half-pony, then tugged strands from the pony part and made a messy bun. With your hair slightly curly (as hers was) it'll look fantastic. She put a simple headband on as well, looked great.

Best tip for hairstyling - stick it in some sort of tie/holder first. Use a skinny/narrow one and you can easily hide it and it makes things so much easier.

If you really don't want to be bothered though, and you can afford it. Go to a hairdresser and ask for a hair-up :smallsmile: a lot of places can do makeup as well, or recommend someone.

If you'd like picture ideas, I'm happy to post one of the back of my sister's head, and I have a few of myself with a french twist as well. Let me know :smallsmile:

I have a question of my own. What on earth are you meant to do with bun pins? (http://www.glassoyster.com/gallery/SironaHairPins.jpg.jpg). I have a set that I bought figuring I should have some since I put my hair into buns fairly often, and then realised I haven't the faintest idea what to do with them...

Savannah
2010-11-16, 10:58 PM
Speaking of - can someone please tell me what barrettes actually are? I'm confused :smallsmile:

According to Wikipedia, they're called hair clips in Australia (and hair-slides in Britain). That help or should I dig up some pictures?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 10:59 PM
Barrettes are hair clips.

Just one of those long-standing arguments I guess. I accept traditional "natural" makeup as a social grace. I enjoy goth/punk makeup. They're just two different worlds to me. Goth or punk makeup is more about showing off some cool patterns - I wear it for the reason I might wear a patterned shirt when a plain one would do just fine.

Of course, part of the issue is that I tend to view all makeup, clothing, etc. as a sort of performance.

That explanation doesn't work?

Why the explain, btw? Are they telling you not to wear makeup this way, or just frowning upon it, or...what?

Oh, and...*pushes to You* :smallwink:

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 11:02 PM
Barrettes are hair clips.

That explanation doesn't work?

Why the explain, btw? Are they telling you not to wear makeup this way, or just frowning upon it, or...what?

Mostly just frowning upon it. Just irks me because they take the whole dismissive "you'll grow out of it" attitude. Which may be true, but even if I do I don't think there's anything particularly immature or juvenile about liking a certain makeup style.

That said, since I'm paying for the makeup there's not a lot of objections to be made.

Oh, and...*pushes to You* :smallwink:

*looks confused*

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 11:06 PM
*looks confused*

I think he wants pictures :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 11:06 PM
*looks confused*

He's reiterating more strongly the prior request for photographic evidence/data.

Mostly just frowning upon it. Just irks me because they take the whole dismissive "you'll grow out of it" attitude. Which may be true, but even if I do I don't think there's anything particularly immature or juvenile about liking a certain makeup style.

Yeah, that sounds like that's in keeping with what you've expressed of their character. Not going to stop thinking like that without having their perspective significantly changed. :/

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 11:09 PM

That said, since I'm paying for the makeup there's not a lot of objections to be made.

Ah, yeah. They might think you're doing it for attention, and that's why it's immature? I dunno, people are weird. *shrugs*

I mean, I personally find the effort and technique that go into such makeup styles fascinating, and were I someone who could pull off makeup, would totally attempt them. *shrugs*

*looks confused*

You is the picture thread. I'm teasing. *hugs*

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 11:09 PM
Will get them up tonight, I promise. Not right now, I'm at the computer lab ostensibly doing homework.

Edit: that's another pet peeve. I do a *lot* of things for attention. We all do. I've found that makeup, clothing, etc. are relatively harmless ways to do so. I get and enjoy the attention and compliments, but I am neither harming myself or anyone else, nor forcing anyone to pay attention to me. I presume if someone gives me a compliment it's because they sincerely appreciated what I did. I'm happy, the person providing attention is happy, so what's the problem?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 11:12 PM
Will get them up tonight, I promise. Not right now, I'm at the computer lab ostensibly doing homework.

Heh. And yet you come to GitP, which is, like, distraction central.

*fellow procrastinator high five*

EDIT TO YOUR EDIT! =O:

No problem. Really, the only time I would have a problem with that is people who do such things and think they are entitled to attention because of it. You seem fine, though. *hugs*

Actually, entitlement to attention, in general, is kinda annoying. -_-

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 11:20 PM
Edit: that's another pet peeve. I do a *lot* of things for attention. We all do. I've found that makeup, clothing, etc. are relatively harmless ways to do so. I get and enjoy the attention and compliments, but I am neither harming myself or anyone else, nor forcing anyone to pay attention to me. I presume if someone gives me a compliment it's because they sincerely appreciated what I did. I'm happy, the person providing attention is happy, so what's the problem?

They might view it as an attempt to get attention that is obvious about being an attempt to get attention and thus lacking in finesse and being undignified. Or they might see it as you gathering negative attention to yourself from "the people who matter," by associating yourself with what they and society have pegged as antisocial and/or undesirable.

Unless I'm misremembering things, full-on goth or punk make up is the sort of thing that more conservative individuals would term "disruptive" when feeling generous, anyway, so by their view, calling for attention that strongly could be considered rude or unladylike or even damaging to your social future or employ-ability.

But a full examination of their motivations and perspective is probably unnecessary and distracting from the bit of getting along with them until you never have to live with them ever again.

Ceric
2010-11-16, 11:26 PM
When I go full out, I do foundation first, then eyeliner (if I'm using it), eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick last. Only use eyeliner if you've got a steady hand and you can cope getting right up near your eyes. I have a bit of a phobia about things going in/near my eyes so I tend to avoid it because I have a bad habit of giving myself really odd and uneven lines with it. Best tip I ever had with mascara was - gently set the brush against your lashes, gently wiggle it and then pull it out and up (for top lashes), out and down (for lower ones). It really does work.

Just want to add an eyeliner tip. I never wear makeup except when I have to for shows and performances, so I don't have a steady hand at all and keep marking up my eyelids (it's better than poking myself in the eye, but still...). Regular hand lotion (on a Q-tip or just put on directly with a finger) gets it off pretty well. And it works for any other makeup too, not just eyeliner.

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 11:29 PM
They might view it as an attempt to get attention that is obvious about being an attempt to get attention and thus lacking in finesse and being undignified. Or they might see it as you gathering negative attention to yourself from "the people who matter," by associating yourself with what they and society have pegged as antisocial and/or undesirable.

Unless I'm misremembering things, full-on goth or punk make up is the sort of thing that more conservative individuals would term "disruptive" when feeling generous, anyway, so by their view, calling for attention that strongly could be considered rude or unladylike or even damaging to your social future or employ-ability.

But a full examination of their motivations and perspective is probably unnecessary and distracting from the bit of getting along with them until you never have to live with them ever again.

Which helpfully is about 9 months if everything goes well. Possibly less depending on when the grad school I (hopefully) get in to starts.

And yeah you're probably right. I enjoy goth in part because, well, it's something other than the mainstream cozy upper middle class nothing-bad-ever-happens-to-us that I live with. At the same time, I recognize it does have its fair share of kids whining about minor problems. Then again, I think a lot of adults like to dismiss kids problems as kids whining whether or not that is actually warranted. So, it's complicated. I know I send a message, and that message is not going to be positive for everyone, and I'm ok with that.

Of course, I've also been wearing all black since I was old enough to pick out my own clothes. And you should see my drawings as a kid - I sure liked gravestones and old buildings and bats and snakes (bones weren't allowed)!

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 11:29 PM
That is a VERY good tip. I've never had any clue about how to get eyeliner off except by scrubbing and warm water, and that takes FOREVER. >.<

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 11:31 PM
That is a VERY good tip. I've never had any clue about how to get eyeliner off except by scrubbing and warm water, and that takes FOREVER. >.<

I use nivea visage cold creme as a makeup remover. It works really well... and as it's technically face cream, I suppose it's covered by the 'lotion' aspect. The idea of using a cotton but/q-tip hadn't occurred to me though. :smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 11:34 PM
I use nivea visage cold creme as a makeup remover. It works really well... and as it's technically face cream, I suppose it's covered by the 'lotion' aspect. The idea of using a cotton but/q-tip hadn't occurred to me though. :smallsmile:

Ah. I...don't...own any lotion. Like...at all.

Don't really wear enough makeup to justify it for this purpose, either, but I suppose I know what to ask for now.

Ceric
2010-11-16, 11:37 PM

Scrubbing? :smalleek: Yeah, I pretty much put on eyeliner with the pencil in one hand and a Q-tip in the other :smallcool:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 11:41 PM
Scrubbing? :smalleek: Yeah, I pretty much put on eyeliner with the pencil in one hand and a Q-tip in the other :smallcool:

Hush. I am a stubborn guy. It was my first time wearing makeup, and the girl who put it on me was no longer there to provide me with tips. >.<

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 11:44 PM
On a completely random note:

Must...resist...urge...to...pet...fluffy...cobra.. .

Dragonrider
2010-11-16, 11:44 PM
Leg shaving: I didn't start till I was fifteen. Which was good for future reference because I know what it's like to have hairy legs and I know I don't like it. Nothing to do with the shackles of male oppression, has to do with disliking my itchy legs. :smalltongue:

Periods: I don't know if this is purely urban legend, but I've heard that women who get severe cramps pre-pregnancy are less likely to get them after they have children, and vice versa. I find that if I take ibuprofen before I get cramps then I'm okay, but if I wait till I have them it does absolutely no good and I'm doubled over on the couch for a while. Sucky.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-16, 11:47 PM

You cannot resist! *snuggles* ^_^

WarKitty
2010-11-16, 11:49 PM
You cannot resist! *snuggles* ^_^

*snuggles back and starts french braiding the fur* You's gonna look all purty when we's done!!! Who's with me on giving the pretty kuppy a makeover?

blackfox
2010-11-16, 11:53 PM
Periods: I don't know if this is purely urban legend, but I've heard that women who get severe cramps pre-pregnancy are less likely to get them after they have children, and vice versa. I find that if I take ibuprofen before I get cramps then I'm okay, but if I wait till I have them it does absolutely no good and I'm doubled over on the couch for a while. Sucky.Blarg, really?
Yet another reason never to get knocked up. :smalleek:

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 11:57 PM

I have to admit, that was pretty random. I do not think I would have ever expected that bit of dialogue in this thread or from you. So quite successful on the random part. :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider: I've heard that from a lot of women, actually, and that they've started taking a low dose of ibuprofen just before they expect things to start up. Then again, that's pretty much how I've been taught that ibuprofen is best used, before any ill effects get to the point of causing physical discomfit to the user.

Blarg, really?
Yet another reason never to get knocked up. :smalleek:

Sort of a girl thread time loop, I believe. Came up at least twice per thread in the last two Girl Threads I was a witness to and... I think three times in the last five LGBTitp threads.

So I've heard it bandied about quite a bit on here. Not that it really says anything about the veracity for such to be the case, but it hasn't gotten shotdown yet AFAIK.

It's not really a guarantee either though, as I believe that's the only bit of clarification it usually receives, the examples of exceptions that've cropped up amongst people's friends & family.

cycoris
2010-11-16, 11:59 PM
*snuggles back and starts french braiding the fur* You's gonna look all purty when we's done!!! Who's with me on giving the pretty kuppy a makeover?

I'm in!

Shaving part 2: I wore only jeans for a couple of years because I didn't want to shave, and then gave into the pressure because I wanted to be able to wear skirts and shorts. That I could just not shave was never presented to me as an option, nor did the thought cross my mind until fairly recently. :smallannoyed:

This actually reminds me a lot of make-up. My mother used to say stuff like "When you start wearing make-up..." or try and show me how to put the stuff on because she felt it was inevitable that I would want/need to someday. Thankfully, I was a lot more aware of that, and pretty much told her that I was never going to put myself into a position where I "needed" to wear make-up to look presentable. Thankfully, she was oblivious enough to not notice the judgement on her beliefs and choices. :smallsigh:

blackfox
2010-11-17, 12:03 AM
*snip*Still. No Foxbabies, bleh.

Lioness
2010-11-17, 02:01 AM
Re eyeliner:

If you don't have a very steady hand, then using a pencil eyeliner rather than a liquid eyeliner will work better.
I usually put it on in small dashes/dots, and then blur it together with my finger. It doesn't come out as severe, and I don't stab myself in the eye.

WarKitty
2010-11-17, 02:13 AM
Re eyeliner:

If you don't have a very steady hand, then using a pencil eyeliner rather than a liquid eyeliner will work better.
I usually put it on in small dashes/dots, and then blur it together with my finger. It doesn't come out as severe, and I don't stab myself in the eye.

Better than that, look for those sort of crayon-y things. They won't do as fine a line, but they don't need sharpening and are easy to control.

Jacklu
2010-11-17, 02:17 AM
Girl thread! =D I missed you! *hugs super tight*

Strawberries
2010-11-17, 02:20 AM
We have a girl thread? Why didn't I notice till now?

This actually reminds me a lot of make-up. My mother used to say stuff like "When you start wearing make-up..." or try and show me how to put the stuff on because she felt it was inevitable that I would want/need to someday. Thankfully, I was a lot more aware of that, and pretty much told her that I was never going to put myself into a position where I "needed" to wear make-up to look presentable. Thankfully, she was oblivious enough to not notice the judgement on her beliefs and choices. :smallsigh:

I never wear make up, either. I don't like the way it looks on me. My mum used to be like yours, trying to teach me how to use it all the time. She didn't do it to give me an hard time, but more because that's the kind of stuff she expected to do with her female daughter. Then she realized I was serious about not wanting to use the stuff, and stopped mentioning it.

Dragonrider
2010-11-17, 02:23 AM
Dragonrider: I've heard that from a lot of women, actually, and that they've started taking a low dose of ibuprofen just before they expect things to start up. Then again, that's pretty much how I've been taught that ibuprofen is best used, before any ill effects get to the point of causing physical discomfit to the user.

Yeah. Unfortunately it doesn't do much good when I'm not paying as close attention to my body cues. :smallsigh: As in "Oh, it's not too bad . . . it'll go away . . . ." headdesk. Thankfully I'm better about it than I used to be.

Pocketa
2010-11-17, 02:26 AM
We have a girl thread? Why didn't I notice till now?

I never wear make up, either. I don't like the way it looks on me. My mum used to be like yours, trying to teach me how to use it all the time. She didn't do it to give me an hard time, but more because that's the kind of stuff she expected to do with her female daughter. Then she realized I was serious about not wanting to use the stuff, and stopped mentioning it.

Makeup is so itchy and runs off my face too easily. And it's not an issue of quality, it's just my skin.

Me:

1. Look in mirror.
2. See imaginary flaws.
3. Cover them with cosmetics.
4. Have cosmetics get messed up.
5. Get clogged pores.
6. Work hard to get a good complexion again.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 ad nauseum.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 02:30 AM
The point of makeup is not to cover flaws!

...unless it's stage makeup. I had to use that when I cut my face mid-filming. Man, that stuff sucks. >.<

WarKitty
2010-11-17, 02:30 AM
I actually learned makeup was fun on my goth makeup, and then went back and really mastered "normal" makeup. It was never any fun learning normal makeup, because I didn't and still don't particularly see the point. Except for concealer. Concealer is great when you don't want people to see how late you stayed up last night.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 02:34 AM
I actually learned makeup was fun on my goth makeup, and then went back and really mastered "normal" makeup. It was never any fun learning normal makeup, because I didn't and still don't particularly see the point. Except for concealer. Concealer is great when you don't want people to see how late you stayed up last night.

...concealer, you say? >.>

...and how does this work? >.>

Pocketa
2010-11-17, 02:35 AM
Worst fall fashion trends?

I still dislike leggings as pants because it's very rarely pulled off in a flattering manner in my area. I'm also not really feeling the lace trend. Lace is more winter-formal or spring-casual than autumn-casual because of the weather.

I'm totally loving sweater-material peacoats though. They're so comfortable! Also, hoodies with weird hoods are neat (i.e. built in cat ears) because they don't look as silly (to me) as hats with ears. Less weeaboo, more high fashion~.

WarKitty
2010-11-17, 02:44 AM

It's basically a stick of facepaint that matches your skin color that you rub under your eyes and it makes the dark puffy circles look less dark and puffy. A just slightly dark eyeshadow can also help by providing contrast.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-17, 02:46 AM
Re eyeliner:

Oooh, I like this idea. I must steal it :smallbiggrin:

I'm totally loving sweater-material peacoats though. They're so comfortable! Also, hoodies with weird hoods are neat (i.e. built in cat ears) because they don't look as silly (to me) as hats with ears. Less weeaboo, more high fashion~.

There's a kid who catches my bus in the mornings who has a hat with cat ears on it. It's so cute. So is he actually, but only in a kuppy-ish he's so cute I want to pick him up and cuddle him kind of way...

Argh. My hair is frustrating me right now. I cannot get it to go up in a way that's not driving me insane. It's because it's clean, this I know. Doesn't mean it's not bugging me!

Pocketa
2010-11-17, 02:47 AM
Or, you could use a powder in a contrasting color, such as a highlighter or bronzer or even a dark blush, in order to counture the face, because eyeshadows aren't meant for general facial use and usually contain more chemicals such as mica that are either too shimmery or irritate one's pores. Plus, it's better to get a direct skin tone matched than to get a color that's just "close". Highlighters/bronzers are usually found in more realistic tones and are more blendable.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 02:48 AM
Also, hoodies with weird hoods are neat (i.e. built in cat ears) because they don't look as silly (to me) as hats with ears. Less weeaboo, more high fashion~.

I agree, though I couldn't say if my reason for viewing them in that way is the same or not.

We have a girl thread? Why didn't I notice till now? Well, it was on an extended hiatus.

She didn't do it to give me an hard time, but more because that's the kind of stuff she expected to do with her female daughter. Then she realized I was serious about not wanting to use the stuff, and stopped mentioning it.

Silly parents with their desire to bond with their offspring. :smallamused:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 02:55 AM
It's basically a stick of facepaint that matches your skin color that you rub under your eyes and it makes the dark puffy circles look less dark and puffy. A just slightly dark eyeshadow can also help by providing contrast.

Ah. Will it help if I, say, regularly get mistaken for a zombie because of how dark mine are? >.<

On hoodies with stuff: Moonie showed me this ADORABLE dragon hoodie from somewhere. It was awesomes.

*coughs* I also like the Pokemon Team Magma hoodies, but that sounds lame. =3

cycoris
2010-11-17, 02:59 AM

Works well enough to cover up bruises, should work for zombieness. 'Nuff said.

Though finding the stuff in my skin tone was really hard in China, ended up having to buy imported stuff or get it in Hong Kong, which was a huge pain. :smallsigh:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 03:04 AM
Works well enough to cover up bruises

O_O

Wait, what? D=

Serpentine
2010-11-17, 03:06 AM
I still dislike leggings as pants because it's very rarely pulled off in a flattering manner in my area. I'm also not really feeling the lace trend. Lace is more winter-formal or spring-casual than autumn-casual because of the weather.Haven't seen anything in the shops lately that I like at all. I was very disappointed, though, that I missed the legging fashion. Definitely no good on their own as pants, but I like wearing them under skirts and dresses instead of stockings. I really wanted to get some nice bright ones, but, alas, by the time I got around to it there were only black ones still being sold :smallsigh:

I'm totally loving sweater-material peacoats though. They're so comfortable! Also, hoodies with weird hoods are neat (i.e. built in cat ears) because they don't look as silly (to me) as hats with ears. Less weeaboo, more high fashion~.I have a snuggly-wuggly-cuddly coat with a snood for a hood ^_^

Serpentine
2010-11-17, 03:20 AM
Hmm... So apparently "snood" doesn't mean what I thought it meant. This is the closest I can find:
http://www.turtleislandimports.com/images/product/small/656C_red.jpg
but the one on my jacket is much longer, reaching most of the way down my back.

Lioness
2010-11-17, 04:34 AM

My mum's the opposite...she firmly believes that wearing makeup causes you to magically grow up, and thus girls shouldn't wear makeup until they are 17.
My younger sisters (both 15) wear a small amount of foundation and mascara...it's barely noticeable, but they get hell for it (not literally).

Regarding clothing trends...I go by the theory of...if it was fashionable a month ago, it's still fashionable now. I tend to be rather behind the fashion times. I cannot stand leggings as pants, though, unless you're at the gym, or have a fabulous butt.
My style is pretty much one of:
Jeans and a t-shirt.
Cargo pants and a t-shirt.
Nice black pants and a t-shirt.
Nice black pants and a shirt shirt.
Skirt (of varying lengths) and t-shirt.

Fashion? What is this fashion? I wear what looks good on me.

Asta Kask
2010-11-17, 04:36 AM
Hmm... So apparently "snood" doesn't mean what I thought it meant. This is the closest I can find:
http://www.turtleislandimports.com/images/product/small/656C_red.jpg
but the one on my jacket is much longer, reaching most of the way down my back.

Do you have a picture of yourself wearing said snood?

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 04:45 AM

Fashion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwM3GvaTRM)comes and goes. Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JQXgn-cubQ) is eternal.

As is silliness. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTizJemHO8)

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 04:46 AM
Regarding clothing trends...I go by the theory of...if it was fashionable a month ago, it's still fashionable now. I tend to be rather behind the fashion times. I cannot stand leggings as pants, though, unless you're at the gym, or have a fabulous butt.
My style is pretty much one of:
Jeans and a t-shirt.
Cargo pants and a t-shirt.
Nice black pants and a t-shirt.
Nice black pants and a shirt shirt.
Skirt (of varying lengths) and t-shirt.

I wear what is comfortable and hope it looks good on me. I approve of your clothing taste. =)

EDIT@Coid: Want to play that game SO BADLY. Have been playing the newest one in the series. >.<

Lillith
2010-11-17, 04:49 AM
I usually wear something that I like and that feels good while wearing. And I don't wear make up at all. Can't be bothered with it and I usually don't think I can pull it off. Since I suck at it. When my bf is around I wear lipgloss cause I know he likes it but that's pretty much it.

Lioness
2010-11-17, 05:00 AM
My boyfriend doesn't like makeup...he thinks I don't need it, and finds it annoying.

I admit, though, it's harder to relentlessly snuggle him while being careful to not get makeup on his top.

Lillith
2010-11-17, 05:16 AM
Oh my bf doesn't like make up for make up's sake. He told me he thought my lips were softer when I wore lipgloss and that would make him want to kiss me more. :smallredface: So it's kinda me being manipulative. XD

SMEE
2010-11-17, 05:36 AM
After coming out, I asked mom about make up and she told I'd better try to get classes on makeup using because all she used was some lipstick. :smallredface:

She only told me that less is more when it comes to makeup and gave me a kit.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 05:42 AM
So it's kinda me being manipulative. XD

It would be more diplomatic to say you were making concessions in order to heighten your partner's enjoyment of certain activities.

Serpentine
2010-11-17, 06:07 AM
Do you have a picture of yourself wearing said snood?Not yet, but I'll consider.

Nuts to fashion! I'm just glad when a fashion comes in that I like and that suits me. Then I stock up all I can before it moves on again and hope that something else comes along before I wear that stuff out (see: bright printed t-shirts).
Kinda like the Magic Faraway Tree...

Quincunx
2010-11-17, 07:50 AM
My mother didn't give me makeup instruction. On this and many other feminine battles, she surrendered early and moved on to my sisters. This was lucky though, as she also has no idea what she's doing with cosmetics. Three words: peacock-blue eyeshadow.

I have a vague desire to haul myself to a makeover counter, but on a day when I'm feeling ill, so they can figure out why I look that much better when I feel like death warmed over. Of course, on those days I don't feel like leaving the house.

O_O

Wait, what? D=

Tell me you've never danced into a door frame and had to field awkward questions for the next week and a half. Concealer would have been an excellent idea. :smallyuk: Laws of physics, 1; my sense of spatial relationships, 0. . .

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 08:00 AM
Tell me you've never danced into a door frame and had to field awkward questions for the next week and a half. Concealer would have been an excellent idea. :smallyuk: Laws of physics, 1; my sense of spatial relationships, 0. . .

I'm a storyteller. Not so much anymore, but I used to be a great one. =3

Bruises are just a chance for me to make people laugh at some of the silly things I've done, or tried to do. Same with scars. =P

EDIT: Though in thinking about it, it WOULD have been nice that one time, when I had a massive black eye and had to accept an award at a big ceremony in front of everyone. >.<

Syka
2010-11-17, 08:59 AM
On being goth: I wear a lot of black, prefer dark nail polish, and want loads of piercings and a few more tattoo's. I also have some leather jewelery that I like to wear (but rarely do).

If I wasn't in business, I'd be all over that stuff. And I may end up with a firm that is cool with me expressing myself through alternative clothing styles. But it's, frankly, unlikely and I have to assume "normal until proven otherwise". I either wear the one light nail polish I have or none, etc. It kinda blows.

That may be why your parents don't like it. As much as I love the goth/punk/whatever subculture, it's frowned upon professionally generally and your parents are probably worried about that. The one person I know who gets away with it works as a graphic artist and freelances now.

There are ways to pull it off, though. Like I recently got a business casual dress, and the sleeves have zippers at the top. <3 So there are ways to sneak it in and still be 'professional'.

Admittedly, though, I'm far less in the goth style than I was in high school. Somewhere in college my style ended up shifting some, but there is still an inordinate amount of black in my wardrobe for someone who lives in Florida. My cloths end up looking like some sort of goth-surfer-girl, lol.

On fashion: I love that the 60's style of dresses are coming back a la Mad Men. I was able to pick up three Joanie-esque dresses. Which is wonderful. I have a similar body type to hers, and the fact the clothes hitting the racks are flattering to said body type, it's refreshing. Because I've had issues with that. >>

On periods: Pregnancy has been shown to help women with endometriosis have less severe cramps afterwards. I'd assume it's the same deal for those with dysmennorhea, as well. As much as I'd love to test that, the end result (baby!) is not worth it. :smallwink:

But yeah, it's a phenomenon I've heard a lot about. Never heard about it getting worse post pregnancy, though. It stays the asme or gets better.

Moreta: Apparently, though, Implanon (http://www.spfiles.com/piimplanon.pd.pdf) is progestin only. Perhaps you are sensitive to the progestin?

Interesting site (http://www.fainamd.com/resources/Which+OCP+is+Best+Handout.pdf) about dosage information with the Pills. They note depression, irritability, and moodiness while on a Pill can potentially be solved by switching to a Pill with a less potent progestin type. So that seems to make sense.

For me, it was the estrogen in it. The higher estrogen dose also made my cramps worse. It was only a change of .005mg, but that's potent stuff.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-11-17, 09:53 AM
Disclaimer: I wore self-applied real makeup for possibly the first time ever just a couple of weeks ago - for my Masked Stranger costume, which I've posted pictures of - so I'm not exactly an expert on this.

Yeah, I agree with this. Less is more.

Makeup
If you don't usually wear it, simple is best. I hate wearing makeup, but have to for work. At work I only wear foundation and lipstick/lipgloss. Frequently it wears off while I eat, so I end up spending the afternoon only wearing foundation. For more formal events, I add eyeshadow, mascara and eyeliner (if I'm feeling adventurous).

Liquid foundation is best, if you're not used to makeup, it's easier to apply I find. I use a cotton bud and dab some on cheeks, forehead, nose and chin, then use a sponge to rub it in. Stops me from going overboard. Don't forget to go right into your hairline as well, and under your chin & down your neck. You don't need to add any foundation here, there'll be enough on the sponge to stop any makeup lines.

Eyeshadow: generally comes in three colours to a compact. This tip I got from my sister. Darkest colour goes on the upper lid on the inside (closest to your nose). Middle colour on the outside of upper lid. Lightest colour covers the lower lid and you can brush lightly over the top as well. Be careful about going too far up the lid! I have this problem all the time... I end up going right to my eyebrows and look like a colourful but startled panda. You want to be able to see just a little bit when your eye is open, so aim for just above the point where your lower lid sits when your eye is open.

If you don't already own anything, go to a fairly high-end store. Take the dress, or if the shrug is the same colour as the dress, just take that. You need to match colours. Get them to test things on you, figure out what suits and what doesn't. If you want the more expensive stuff, go for it. Otherwise, take what they show you and go somewhere else to get it cheaper :smallsmile: A lot of high-end stores will do a cheap makeover for you, so you can see what it looks like, and give you pointers on how to do it yourself as well.

*boggles*
This is some good advice. Some really good advice.
This is definitely a formal occasion, as I think the only thing more formal would be something like the Vienna Ball. The rest of the formal occasions like opera and such are either white tie or black tie.
I don't actually own any makeup whatsoever except for a chapstick, so I think I'll do what you suggested with the high-end shops and things.
And thanks for the step-by-step instructions on applying makeup. I finally have a clue.

Hair
First off, if your hair is fine, you will need some sort of product to keep it up. Hairspray or some type of mousse. Also, make sure you wash your hair the day before the event. Hair goes up better when it's a little bit oily.

What you do with it depends on how formal you'd like to be. And whether you want elegant or something more 'modern'. You can't go wrong with a simple french twist. Easy as pie to do, and they look fantastic. You can leave it as is, or buy a small clip or pin to put in there. If your hair is ringletty already, a couple of strands left down to soften the face would be pretty.

My sister once put her hair into a half-pony, then tugged strands from the pony part and made a messy bun. With your hair slightly curly (as hers was) it'll look fantastic. She put a simple headband on as well, looked great.

Best tip for hairstyling - stick it in some sort of tie/holder first. Use a skinny/narrow one and you can easily hide it and it makes things so much easier.

If you really don't want to be bothered though, and you can afford it. Go to a hairdresser and ask for a hair-up :smallsmile: a lot of places can do makeup as well, or recommend someone.

If you'd like picture ideas, I'm happy to post one of the back of my sister's head, and I have a few of myself with a french twist as well. Let me know :smallsmile:

My hair is ridiculously fine, but there's a lot of it; and it undoes itself within an hour or so normally, so something relatively simple would be great.
I like the sound of the French twist, but I don't know exactly what you mean by a half pony tail. Is it half up, half down? It sounds like it is, but then how do you turn pony tail into bun? I can't think of how it works.

Pics would be nice though.

WarKitty
2010-11-17, 11:01 AM
*stuff*

I think it's one of those things parents just worry about no matter what. I have my "business goth" and my "fun goth." My favorite business goth outfit consists of a black pencil skirt, a black and ivory rose print top, and a black lace shrug. Pair with heels, a very light nail polish, and a hematite jewelry set. Nice and dark? You bet. Perfectly business casual appropriate? Also yes.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 11:12 AM
I think it's one of those things parents just worry about no matter what. I have my "business goth" and my "fun goth." My favorite business goth outfit consists of a black pencil skirt, a black and ivory rose print top, and a black lace shrug. Pair with heels, a very light nail polish, and a hematite jewelry set. Nice and dark? You bet. Perfectly business casual appropriate? Also yes.

I love this idea of "business goth". =3

That outfit sounds quite nice, too. *nod*

Syka
2010-11-17, 11:41 AM
I know! I managed to find some business goth stuff too. The zipper dress has black sleeves and the rest is dark gray. Matches well with my onyx infinity necklace on a silver chain and other onyx jewelery. Another one is a 60's style black dress (the neckline doesn't allow for jewelery). I just hate light nail polish, mostly. Currently I have: black, darkish violet, dark blue, dark red, lighter-orangey red, and a peach color. The peach one is the only real 'appropriate' one, although I did wear my dark red to a professional photo yesterday. Hehe.

As I don't wear make up, I don't really have to worry about that.

I just wish piercings were more accepted. I'm hoping to get my cartiliage re-done after my sisters wedding, but I can't do my lips. And I can't get a tattoo on my wrist (well, I could, but I don't like wearing bracelets and wouldn't want to put make up over it). :smallfrown:

Dragonrider
2010-11-17, 12:36 PM
The point of makeup is not to cover flaws!

That's what I wear it for . . . well sort of. Mainly to make me feel better about my appearance on days when I, well, don't.

I still dislike leggings as pants because it's very rarely pulled off in a flattering manner in my area.

Ohgod. At my college half the girls spend their lives in boots, leggings, and long shirts. Sometimes with ridiculously short skirts. There's two groups of people who seem most prone to it here, too - the sorority girls and the pretentious intellectuals Last night I went to a writing event that REEKED of it. I've never seen so many people with scarves and macbooks and chunky glasses, sitting around discussing how they wanted to grow up to BE the poetry professors.

Sorry. :smalltongue: That probably comes off as highly judgmental. After a while I get tired of everyone looking the same, is all, especially when they build their identity around being "different."

But yeah, it's a phenomenon I've heard a lot about. Never heard about it getting worse post pregnancy, though. It stays the asme or gets better.

My mum never had cramps pre-pregnancy and now she gets them really, really badly . . . the doctor told her it's more common to happen the other direction, but apparently pregnancy can also make it worse for people who don't get them before. :shrugs:

cycoris
2010-11-17, 12:55 PM
Ohgod. At my college half the girls spend their lives in boots, leggings, and long shirts. Sometimes with ridiculously short skirts. There's two groups of people who seem most prone to it here, too - the sorority girls and the pretentious intellectuals Last night I went to a writing event that REEKED of it. I've never seen so many people with scarves and macbooks and chunky glasses, sitting around discussing how they wanted to grow up to BE the poetry professors.

Sorry. :smalltongue: That probably comes off as highly judgmental. After a while I get tired of everyone looking the same, is all, especially when they build their identity around being "different."

That sounds quite a bit like Evergreen, where everyone is so PAINFULLY alternative and liberal artsy. Did I mention a raw foods option in the cafeteria along with hemp milk? Seriously. :smalleek:

But it was nice to go to a place where I can wear my extra flared tie-dyed jeans that had Walt Whitman in sharpies all over them and not feel self-conscious.

Speaking of which, said jeans have a rip in the butt. Which is always wear my pants rip. Why do I feel like the fashion industry is trying to make a statement here? :smallsigh:

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-17, 01:38 PM
Speaking of which, said jeans have a rip in the butt. Which is always wear my pants rip. Why do I feel like the fashion industry is trying to make a statement here? :smallsigh:

My pants always rip on the sides of the crotch seam. If the fashion industry makes statements through rips, I think I should file a restraining order.

EDIT: Also, yeah, leggings are way overdone in the university crowd. Even when it's warm out! I can hardly stand the sight of them anymore.

Dragonrider
2010-11-17, 01:41 PM
That sounds quite a bit like Evergreen, where everyone is so PAINFULLY alternative and liberal artsy. Did I mention a raw foods option in the cafeteria along with hemp milk? Seriously. :smalleek:

Yeah. Whitman is like that except everyone who is painfully alternative actually went to prep schools. :smallamused: Posers.

I can live with it though because 75% are also self-admittedly geeky and while this sometimes manifests in pretentious ways, it's worth it to stand in line at dinner and hear a bunch of girls in high heels discussing which Firefly episode they want to watch tonight (true story).

About what? :smalltongue: you have a tiny butt. A nonexistent butt. :smallwink:

Mine always rip on the inner thigh. ALL MY JEANS. ALL. Combination of the way I sit putting stress in that area and the shape of my body. Unfortunately. It's an awkward place to patch.

I think I vaguely remember there was a time when I was self-conscious about interesting clothing but it was definitely pre-college. Skinny jeans and high-waters are back in so no one else here has the bell-bottoms. I like that, which probably makes me pretentiously alternative too.

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-17, 01:45 PM
I can live with it though because 75% are also self-admittedly geeky and while this sometimes manifests in pretentious ways, it's worth it to stand in line at dinner and hear a bunch of girls in high heels discussing which Firefly episode they want to watch tonight (true story).

I...

I think I want to transfer schools now.

Mine always rip on the inner thigh. ALL MY JEANS. ALL. Combination of the way I sit putting stress in that area and the shape of my body. Unfortunately. It's an awkward place to patch.

Isn't it just? I lost a pair of shorts because a patch there just wouldn't hold. But I hear jean-shorts are horrible anyway, so I guess it's not a horrible loss.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-17, 03:50 PM
I don't worry about whether my clothing is in style. I like to wear what looks good on me, but I mostly care about comfort.

My pants always wear out first on my inner thigh, my legs rub together there when I walk.

Strawberries
2010-11-17, 03:53 PM
Silly parents with their desire to bond with their offspring. :smallamused:

Well, fortunately my mum is also a geek, so we did plenty of bonding on Star Trek episodes, computer games and fantasy books. :smallbiggrin:

Is it doors for you? It's wall cupboards for me. I have a low hood over the stovetop, and I'm always bumping my head on it. :smallsigh:

All my pants rip on the hem, near the ankle. Because I like pants a bit longer and I end up walking on the hem and wearing and tearing it.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-11-17, 05:20 PM
My jeans usually wear out around the back pockets, and on the very end of the legs, since I'm short. Since I prefer comfort over style, I tend to sew up my clothes for as long as I can, but eventually there are too many holes...Like with one shirt I've had since I was a high school freshman (And I'm a senior now. Yeah, it still fits. I'm pretty much done growing. :smallfrown:)

But for me, my standard clothing is blue jeans with a blue or green shirt. (Yes, I have other colors too :smalltongue:). Sometimes I wear a scarf when it's cold. Yes, it's all different shades of blue. Blue goes well on me. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 05:23 PM
Well, that's dressing to your color chart, I guess. :smallamused:

cycoris
2010-11-17, 05:43 PM
About what? :smalltongue: you have a tiny butt. A nonexistent butt. :smallwink:

Excuse me, my butt is just fine, thank you. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Just...if I get jeans that fit through the hips the thighs are way too loose for my liking, and if they fit through the thighs they won't go over my hips. Usually end up making a compromise between the two, but it still means that they don't fit properly and end up ripping around the back pockets ore side seams around my hips. :smallfrown:

I think I vaguely remember there was a time when I was self-conscious about interesting clothing but it was definitely pre-college. Skinny jeans and high-waters are back in so no one else here has the bell-bottoms. I like that, which probably makes me pretentiously alternative too.

It's not so much that I'm self-conscious about what I'm wearing, but...I get enough comments, even if they're just of a "Those are interesting pants, did you make/dye/patch them yourself?" variety that I'm not only constantly reminded of what I'm wearing, but also acutely aware of how other people are reacting to it and how it might be perceived.

And I'm looking forward to going somewhere where I won't be singled out because I HAVE interesting clothing, because that's sort of the norm, but if they make a comment it'll be because they like what I'm wearing and not because of the novelty of it.

Or something like that.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 05:46 PM
Can't it be both? Something being novel doesn't exclude it from being enjoyed for being aesthetically pleasing, the two can go hand in hand. It is a skill that not everyone has or uses, so while there are going to be people who are all "ew, different," there's also people who are going to be attracted and intrigued by this.

...Of course, there's also the thorny issue of having attracted people because they were looking at your lower half.... :/

Just...if I get jeans that fit through the hips the thighs are way too loose for my liking, and if they fit through the thighs they won't go over my hips. Usually end up making a compromise between the two, but it still means that they don't fit properly and end up ripping around the back pockets ore side seams around my hips. :smallfrown:

Didn't Dragonrider have to learn how to alter the fit of her jeans for some similar reason? I seem to recall something about her jeans customization being more than repair and surface-level aesthetic detailing. I imagine she could give you a crash course on learning how to alter the fit for your comfort.

I mean, if you're already having to customize them anyway with repairs, seems like it would be worthwhile to investigate this.

...Maybe I'm thinking of Quincunx instead....:smallconfused:

Lioness
2010-11-17, 06:26 PM
Excuse me, my butt is just fine, thank you. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Urg...I have similar clothing problems.

My butt is large, my waist is small. If I get pants that fit my butt, they gape at the waist. If I get pants that fit my waist...I wouldn't even get them past my thighs...

And if we're raging about clothing fit...you know how most women have slightly different sized boobs? Well, my right is an entire cup size bigger than my left. I cannot find anything to fit me without resorting to those funny insertable...things.
So all the pretty gorgeous sezy bras are pretty much a no-go. :smallfrown:

cycoris
2010-11-17, 06:51 PM
Urg...I have similar clothing problems.

My butt is large, my waist is small. If I get pants that fit my butt, they gape at the waist. If I get pants that fit my waist...I wouldn't even get them past my thighs...

And if we're raging about clothing fit...you know how most women have slightly different sized boobs? Well, my right is an entire cup size bigger than my left. I cannot find anything to fit me without resorting to those funny insertable...things.
So all the pretty gorgeous sezy bras are pretty much a no-go. :smallfrown:

Yes, the gapping is SO annoying. Especially as it leads to people commenting on the colour of my underwear more often than desirable. :smallsigh:

Even though my waist:hip is only a bit above average, I guess skinny girls are all supposed to look like twelve-year-olds and have NO hips at all, and they make clothes to match. :smallsigh:x2

Bras... If I could, I would probably wear a combination of pretty sexy bras and none at all. Does anyone else have boob-soreness to the point where ANYTHING touching you is agonising? And yet I still have to wear a bra because nipples are "shameful" and "inherently sexual". Dear society, please go shove your arbitrary values & inability to understand cultural relativism up your ass. Thank you.

Would wear sexy bras, but...can't until I'm doing my own laundry. I also don't know if they'd come in sizes small enough for me. Have a tiny ribcage and tiny boobs to match, which I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that it makes it really hard to find clothing that fits. :smallfrown:

Lioness
2010-11-17, 06:57 PM
Yes, the gapping is SO annoying. Especially as it leads to people commenting on the colour of my underwear more often than desirable. :smallsigh:

I usually fix it by darting, or at least wearing a belt, but it's annoying.

Bras... If I could, I would probably wear a combination of pretty sexy bras and none at all. Does anyone else have boob-soreness to the point where ANYTHING touching you is agonising? And yet I still have to wear a bra because nipples are "shameful" and "inherently sexual". Dear society, please go shove your arbitrary values & inability to understand cultural relativism up your ass. Thank you.

I get that around the start of my period, but not really any other times.
But I can't really at all get away with not wearing a bra. Hello sag :smallfrown:

Would wear sexy bras, but...can't until I'm doing my own laundry. I also don't know if they'd come in sizes small enough for me. Have a tiny ribcage and tiny boobs to match, which I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that it makes it really hard to find clothing that fits. :smallfrown:

I think pretty bras are more likely to come in smaller sizes...I think clothing companies assume that once you hit a D/DD, you, of course, must be too fat to be sexy, so they just make plain bras...(note...not my opinion at all)

Rawhide
2010-11-17, 07:38 PM
Does anyone else have boob-soreness to the point where ANYTHING touching you is agonising?

What material are you using? Have you tried 100% cotten shirts/bras? I wear cotton all the time with no issues, but on the one day a week I wear a 100% polyester sports jersey, I get sore nipples (yes, male nipples are apparently just as sensitive as female ones).

Syka
2010-11-17, 07:39 PM
Cycoris, I got that boob soreness a couple weeks back. ANYTHING was irritating it- bra, shirt, whatever. I had to wear my sports bra because it was the only thing that wouldn't rub.

Never had it before or since; still don't know why.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 07:49 PM
Does anyone else have boob-soreness to the point where ANYTHING touching you is agonising?

I'll echo rawhide about checking into the materials involved, since you've probably confirmed that it's not a sizing issue already.

cycoris
2010-11-17, 08:00 PM
I think pretty bras are more likely to come in smaller sizes...I think clothing companies assume that once you hit a D/DD, you, of course, must be too fat to be sexy, so they just make plain bras...(note...not my opinion at all)

In my experience, it's quite hard to find anything under a 36B in the women's section, and I REFUSE to wear training bras. Unfortunately, 32B is probably just never going to happen, so I will continue wearing bras that are ill-fitting even after having over an inch taken in out of the band.

Also, how do you wear a belt without getting a horrific unsightly bulge under your shirt?

@Rawhide, Syka, & Coidzor:

It's not fabric, I don't think, because it's not anything rubbing or irritating me, just the combined pressure of bra plus shirt hurts. Sometimes a lot, to the point where I've decided to put on a sweater in the middle of August just so that I could go braless and not have to worry about nipple-showage.

Would much rather have questions about why I'm wearing a sweater in August, because that's much less likely to upset people than "OMG it's a baby-feeder that has been so sexualised by our society that it's now considered shameful and indecent!"

...can you tell I'm a little bitter?

Jumilk
2010-11-17, 08:03 PM

Here in Brazil people don't seem to mind as much if you don't wear a bra. Must be a cultural thing. Come to Brazil, it will fix all your problems! Well, maybe not all of them.

Dragonrider
2010-11-17, 08:03 PM
My pants always wear out first on my inner thigh, my legs rub together there when I walk.

Meeeeeee toooo. :smallsmile:

And I'm looking forward to going somewhere where I won't be singled out because I HAVE interesting clothing, because that's sort of the norm, but if they make a comment it'll be because they like what I'm wearing and not because of the novelty of it.

I figure that if they're commenting on my clothes they're more likely to be noticing clothing than my body.

Didn't Dragonrider have to learn how to alter the fit of her jeans for some similar reason? I seem to recall something about her jeans customization being more than repair and surface-level aesthetic detailing. I imagine she could give you a crash course on learning how to alter the fit for your comfort.

I do a lot of clothing altering, yeah. But jeans are hard - I either do drastic alterations or live with it.

I have the annoying problem that suddenly half my jeans are falling off me. Either I've gotten skinnier (unlikely) or else the fabric is screwing up as they get older. But I can't find new ones so I'm living with it even though belts suck.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-17, 08:04 PM

This is very true. Victoria's Secret does not stock DDDs. :smallannoyed:

SMEE
2010-11-17, 08:07 PM
Cy, you should consider looking at nipple pads/covers for breast feeding women.
They are sticky and cover the nipple fully. You could go braless then.

Syka
2010-11-17, 08:08 PM
Cycoris, is it only when you wear a bra AND a shirt? Or just a bra? Are you making sure the bra isn't compressing anything? Whenever I've put on bras that hurt, they are always too small.

Barring that, to go braless have you ever thought of maybe taping some gauze around to avoid a Nipplegate? Like a soft gauze pad over it and taped around the sides.

I envy your ability to go braless, by the way. No matter what I wear, I can't...you could pretty much tell regardless.

As for purty bras, there is a small band between somewhere in the B's and somewhere before 38C that has purty bras. Outside of that, you're SOL. I know (I'm right on the upperbound...I keep getting taunted by pretty bras that almost fit but don't quite).

CoffeeIncluded
2010-11-17, 08:09 PM
Wait, you don't have any actual lingerie stores? They've got a bunch of diffeent sizes and you'll get a good fit.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-17, 08:15 PM
There's a specialty store somewhere in my hometown, but I've never been there.
I've seen some very pretty A-cup bras at VS.

cycoris
2010-11-17, 08:18 PM

Oooh, that is a good idea, I'll have to look into it at some point. When I have monies.

Cycoris, is it only when you wear a bra AND a shirt? Or just a bra? Are you making sure the bra isn't compressing anything? Whenever I've put on bras that hurt, they are always too small.

I'm too full on the bottom for most bras to fit properly, and then there's a lot of room on the top, which gets pressed down by a shirt and then ends up culminating in general achiness and horror.

Seriously, clothing manufacturers, boobs generally are not a perfect half sphere. :smallmad:

/potential TMI

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 08:26 PM
In my experience, it's quite hard to find anything under a 36B in the women's section, and I REFUSE to wear training bras. Unfortunately, 32B is probably just never going to happen, so I will continue wearing bras that are ill-fitting even after having over an inch taken in out of the band. :smallconfused: I have to boggle at where you're shopping for them, because there were plenty of 32-38Bs in even Walmart the times I've gone bra-shopping with girlfriends. If there's really nothing in the local area, consider online options and placing orders with your local retailers if they can get it but there's not that much demand for the particular sizes in the area.

Edit: ah, the shaping issue on the other hand... :/ Might need to try out other designers, but this is beyond my ability to comment.

Sometimes a lot, to the point where I've decided to put on a sweater in the middle of August just so that I could go braless and not have to worry about nipple-showage.

Would much rather have questions about why I'm wearing a sweater in August, because that's much less likely to upset people than "OMG it's a baby-feeder that has been so sexualised by our society that it's now considered shameful and indecent!"

...can you tell I'm a little bitter?

It seems nonsensical, do you really get that much of a universally negative reaction? It sounds like an issue with either the local culture or you're dealing with far too many judgmental old people for someone not in the business of taking care of them. :smallconfused:

Lady Moreta
2010-11-17, 08:26 PM
Moreta: Apparently, though, Implanon (http://www.spfiles.com/piimplanon.pd.pdf) is progestin only. Perhaps you are sensitive to the progestin?

Possibly. I'll have to ask, next time I decide to go back on contraceptives. The problem will be testing it, since I can't swallow tablets so the pill isn't really an option for me.

*boggles*
This is some good advice. Some really good advice.
This is definitely a formal occasion, as I think the only thing more formal would be something like the Vienna Ball. The rest of the formal occasions like opera and such are either white tie or black tie.
I don't actually own any makeup whatsoever except for a chapstick, so I think I'll do what you suggested with the high-end shops and things.
And thanks for the step-by-step instructions on applying makeup. I finally have a clue.

Heh, sorry. Got carried away.

One other thing I thought of - be wary which colour mascara you get. Only buy black if you actually have black hair, otherwise it'll be too dark. My hair is brown, and I have a brown-black mascara. It's just that little bit lighter.

My hair is ridiculously fine, but there's a lot of it; and it undoes itself within an hour or so normally, so something relatively simple would be great.
I like the sound of the French twist, but I don't know exactly what you mean by a half pony tail. Is it half up, half down? It sounds like it is, but then how do you turn pony tail into bun? I can't think of how it works.

Pics would be nice though.

In that case you'll definitely need something to keep it up. Talk to a hairdresser about whether mousse or hairspray or a combination thereof would work better. My hair is relatively thick, and I have a lot of it, so it tends to stay up fairly well.

Half pony

To turn a ponytail into a bun, tie it (use a small/thin tie) where you want it to be. Then simply wind the hair around the tie and pin it in place. It works better with longer hair. At the moment, mine is too short to really wind around properly.

I'm not at home right now, but I'll post a bunch when I get home from work :smallsmile:

Well, fortunately my mum is also a geek, so we did plenty of bonding on Star Trek episodes, computer games and fantasy books. :smallbiggrin:

Sounds like me and my mum (minus the computer games). Now my friends just make fun of me for it :smallfrown: well, the girls do. The guys think I'm great :smallsmile:

Yup, seconded :smallsmile: except for me it's big hips. I have child-bearing hips. Yay. :smallamused::smallannoyed:

If they fit my thighs/hips they gape around my waist. I have learned to make sure all my t-shirts are long, and if not, I have a bunch of long singlet tops that I wear underneath so I don't flash anyone.

Syka
2010-11-17, 08:35 PM
The contraceptive Pill now comes in a chewable (http://www.femconfe.com/index.jsp) form! Not sure how it would taste, though. >> I only just heard about this, too.

WarKitty
2010-11-17, 08:58 PM
In my experience, it's quite hard to find anything under a 36B in the women's section, and I REFUSE to wear training bras. Unfortunately, 32B is probably just never going to happen, so I will continue wearing bras that are ill-fitting even after having over an inch taken in out of the band.

Also, how do you wear a belt without getting a horrific unsightly bulge under your shirt?

Same here. I wear a 28B, and I can NOT find anything other than training bras in my size. Plus most everything I do find seems to assume I want to make my breasts look bigger - I really hate hate hate padding in bras, it makes me sweat something awful.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-17, 09:23 PM
I wear a 32DDD, and that is a combination that does not exist outside of specialty and/or online stores. Not only that, but it is impossible to wear anything without a bra, so I am limited in my dress-buying options.
And I have the same butt/pants problem as Lioness.

THAC0
2010-11-17, 09:28 PM
I wear a 32DDD, and that is a combination that does not exist outside of specialty and/or online stores. Not only that, but it is impossible to wear anything without a bra, so I am limited in my dress-buying options.

30DDDD.

And I live in Alaska.

I order all bras online. So annoying.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-17, 09:29 PM
:smalleek: Oh my gosh you poor thing.

Keld Denar
2010-11-17, 09:39 PM
I never understood the lettering system on bras. I mean, I get that A = small, and D = big, but it just seems so abstract. Why does D go up to 4 letters? Is there a 5x D? At what point do you get past D and move one to E? And going down sizes....isn't AA smaller than A? Is there a BB or a CC? I just seems like a really wierd scale. No wonder men don't understand women, we can't even interpret their bra sizes...

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-17, 09:47 PM
the only place my jeans rip are at the heel, going straight up the calf. it annoys to no end

Syka
2010-11-17, 09:48 PM
It is somewhat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurement) explained in the wiki.

Basically- they are all making it up.

Dragonrider
2010-11-17, 10:01 PM
Yup, seconded :smallsmile: except for me it's big hips. I have child-bearing hips. Yay. :smallamused::smallannoyed:

Yupyup. The kind of hips where if you tell someone the measurement they give you big surprised eyes. It's not FAT either. It's just HIP.

Right now I'm wearing a 34DD (which has a cup the same size as a 32DDD) but it's a little on the small side and I think next time I buy bras I'm going to need a 32DDDD. Which you can only order online (at least in the area where I live) because the majority of stores do not carry anything larger than a DD in anything smaller than a 38. Blah.

At least I'm not my grandmother. Who is a 30I.

Keld Denar
2010-11-17, 10:07 PM
United States measurement systems

Bra labeling systems used around the world are at times misleading and confusing. In the United States, many bra manufacturers arbitrarily add four, five or even six inches to the band size,[67][68] sometimes referred to as vanity sizing. The wearer mistakenly believes she is wearing a smaller sized bra band. The add 4 to 5" practice was devised by Warners in 1935, and the practice is still in use.[7][69]

Lulz....you poor poor ladies. The whole industry is cruel and inhumane and must be done away with!

EDIT: Interesting...DDD is the same as F, and DDDD is the same as G. So...why?

cycoris
2010-11-17, 10:12 PM
Same here. I wear a 28B, and I can NOT find anything other than training bras in my size. Plus most everything I do find seems to assume I want to make my breasts look bigger - I really hate hate hate padding in bras, it makes me sweat something awful.

*hug*

I know exactly what you mean. I'm actually a 30B, but have long since given up hope of ever finding a bra that fits. I think trying to find one that doesn't look like it's attempting to be bullet-proof is just too much. :smallsigh:

In other woes, who on earth designs women's underwear? And why oh why did they think it was a good idea to have the seam lying right on top of my hip bone???!! And it's not an isolated incident, as this appears to be the case with at least three brands of underwear.

dish
2010-11-17, 10:29 PM

Oooh, that is a good idea, I'll have to look into it at some point. When I have monies.

I tried several varieties of breast pads for breast feeding, and I'm afraid that the adhesive is pretty useless in all of them. I could only get them to stay in my clothing because the bra was holding them in place. Hence, I wouldn't recommend them for bra-less use.

Have you considered nipple tape, or even extra-large bandaids to cover the areas in question?

Serpentine
2010-11-17, 10:37 PM
On tearing pants: Almost every pair of pants I own - at least, the ones that fit me - have holes in the crotch and/or thighs. My absolute favouritest ever pants (these ones (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/photos/AdamsPlace-AdamandMe2.jpg), if anyone's interested) have been patched up multiple times, and need another one :sigh: :frown: When they eventually give up the ghost, I'm gonna pull them apart and get a pattern out of them to make another pair.

I'm 16D. Dunno what that is in other measures. Would be nice to be able to find pretty bras in that size... Still, could be worse. A friend of mine is (iirc) 8H or something ridiculous like that.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-17, 10:41 PM
I'm 16D. Dunno what that is in other measures. Would be nice to be able to find pretty bras in that size... Still, could be worse. A friend of mine is (iirc) 8H or something ridiculous like that.

Try... oh what was the name of the store? Creem...

I don't know if they have them over east, but there's a few around Perth. They have heaps of pretty underwear sets. You might find something there.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 11:00 PM

That'd be a 38D in American by this site (http://www.85b.org/bra_conv.php)'s rubric.

V: yeah, I got confused on the issue by Lioness giving an american-appearing measurement earlier so I went to double check what sizes Australia runs in. Err, I think it was her anyway...Oh bother. x,x:smallconfused:

WarKitty
2010-11-17, 11:05 PM

What country are you in? Because around here that would mean you were 12 inches around, and I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Lioness
2010-11-17, 11:39 PM
I'm the Australian equivalent of an American 36DD...
Sucks.

WarKitty
2010-11-17, 11:44 PM
To those awaiting hair pictures: My camera is on the fritz, so this is one from right after the cut. The short bangs are down to the top of my glasses now.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/Jese_Cabron/newhair.jpg

Oooh found a somewhat more recent one:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1066/5147224479_39624e8b00.jpg

On bra sizes: Do any women really find bras easily?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 11:48 PM
Aww, you're pretty, Kitty! Is that the way you usually wear your hair? Am thinking about what might work for you...

ION: Bras are one of the things I am glad I never have to wear.

WarKitty
2010-11-17, 11:50 PM
Aww, you're pretty, Kitty! Is that the way you usually wear your hair? Am thinking about what might work for you...

ION: Bras are one of the things I am glad I never have to wear.

Thanks! That's pretty much my everyday style. Works great for getting up and running to class, not so great for night out fun.

blackfox
2010-11-17, 11:53 PM
In my experience, it's quite hard to find anything under a 36B in the women's sectionWut, really?! I've had no trouble finding 32-34A-B (at various points in time.) Also I have no trouble actually finding bras that fit since I appear to be the exact average size. ._.

ALSO Kitty is adorable.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 11:55 PM
Thanks! That's pretty much my everyday style. Works great for getting up and running to class, not so great for night out fun.

What's the deficiency you're finding with it there? It seems fine to me, actually reminds me of one of my ex-fiance's most recent Fbook profile photos from when she was out clubbing.

Re: finding bras, I've gone bra-shopping with two ex-girlfriends who were 34B and 36C respectively and they managed to do fairly well as far as finding choices that fit and they liked, though Ms. 34B was on the tall-side and thus had to go for ones that could have the straps adjusted further so that the top-straps didn't bite into the tops of her shoulders.

ALSO Kitty is adorable.

As horrible as it is, I have to agree.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-17, 11:57 PM

I have to say, it looks fine. Especially in the second pic, where it looks a bit longer. I mean, you're always free to try new things and such, but I really don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing now...

WarKitty
2010-11-18, 12:06 AM
What's the deficiency you're finding with it there? It seems fine to me, actually reminds me of one of my ex-fiance's most recent Fbook profile photos from when she was out clubbing.

Re: finding bras, I've gone bra-shopping with two ex-girlfriends who were 34B and 36C respectively and they managed to do fairly well as far as finding choices that fit and they liked, though Ms. 34B was on the tall-side and thus had to go for ones that could have the straps adjusted further so that the top-straps didn't bite into the tops of her shoulders.

As horrible as it is, I have to agree.

I was thinking more formal long dress occasions, not clubbing and such. I tend to have a very classic sense of dress and come up with outfits that would typically be paired with fairly elaborate updo's or long black vamp hair. It's just...sort of boring now, with all my friends fussing over braiding and curling their hair so it looks nice and I can't figure out anything to do.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me most of the time. It's just that it looks so, well, *plain* when I don't want to look plain. I hate having the same hairstyle for everyday hair and trying to dress up fancy hair, it feels like I'm missing part of my outfit.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-18, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=WarKitty;9787534]To those awaiting hair pictures: My camera is on the fritz, so this is one from right after the cut. The short bangs are down to the top of my glasses now.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/Jese_Cabron/newhair.jpg

Oooh found a somewhat more recent one:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1066/5147224479_39624e8b00.jpgQUOTE]

Kitty you're gorgeous :smallsmile:

Your hair is definitely long enough to use pretty clips or headbands :smallsmile:

WarKitty
2010-11-18, 12:12 AM
Where does one obtain said headbands that do not hurt one's head? I had good luck with a tiara with my last outfit but it was hurting like crazy and wouldn't stay on.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs022.snc4/33481_1648691018654_1278319809_1757082_5108963_n.j pg

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 12:13 AM
^: IIRC, some accessories like that can be pinned into the hair as opposed to pressing into one's temples. ...or can be modified so that they have attachments for pinning.

Also, you're so cute it's just unfair. T_T
I hate having the same hairstyle for everyday hair and trying to dress up fancy hair, it feels like I'm missing part of my outfit.

Well, I'm sure suggestions will be coming in now that you've provided some delightful photographic evidence. It's certainly long enough to do something with, I'm just unable to remember the relevant information from when last I dealt with a woman's hair of that length. :/ Was actually thinking it was shorter than that from what you had said earlier, actually. x.x

A single hair clip can be quite effective with that length...

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-18, 12:13 AM
Hmm. Ok, bear with me, because I'm fashion illiterate, but...what do you mean by classic style and vamp hair?

EDIT: Same as Coid, I was expecting your hair to be much shorter. Hair clips do work wonders, if you can find nice ones that fit your clothing style.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-18, 12:17 AM
Where does one obtain said headbands that do not hurt one's head? I had good luck with a tiara with my last outfit but it was hurting like crazy and wouldn't stay on.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs022.snc4/33481_1648691018654_1278319809_1757082_5108963_n.j pg

That is an awesome outfit :smallbiggrin:

Best places I've found are chemist/pharmacy stores, and hairdressers. Don't go to general stores or supermarkets, their products aren't as good.

You want better quality gear. They'll hurt a little until they stretch, so try wearing them a little bit at a time, until you get used to them.

WarKitty
2010-11-18, 12:18 AM
Hmm. Ok, bear with me, because I'm fashion illiterate, but...what do you mean by classic style and vamp hair?

Classic style: Fairly basic, tends to favor long skirts and light makeup. Usually fairly non-age-specific, slim silhouette.

http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluefly/prodImage.ms?productCode=301558901&width=340&height=408
http://www.enjoyfrance.com/images/stories/world/fashion/audrey-hepburn-dress.jpg
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1283670_f260.jpg

would all be classic dresses

Vamp hair: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1T2xKCkYot8/S6_NzjOLmqI/AAAAAAAAAJk/eY2ISkmhqvM/s320/bella_vamp2323.jpg or http://bp2.blogger.com/_BPbrULxD7vQ/SGfc5CgNlDI/AAAAAAAABhs/9y3awQGFc68/s400/16-dessange-vamp.JPG

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-18, 12:22 AM
Huh. I'm a bit out of my element, but, with your permission, I'll talk to my older sister ASAP, she knows these kinds of things, and might be able to help a bit more than I could. >.<

WarKitty
2010-11-18, 12:26 AM
If you wish, I don't mind. I'm going to bed, since I am obviously *not* getting my schoolwork done here.

cycoris
2010-11-18, 12:41 AM
Classic style: Fairly basic, tends to favor long skirts and light makeup. Usually fairly non-age-specific, slim silhouette.

http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluefly/prodImage.ms?productCode=301558901&width=340&height=408
http://www.enjoyfrance.com/images/stories/world/fashion/audrey-hepburn-dress.jpg

Vamp hair: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1T2xKCkYot8/S6_NzjOLmqI/AAAAAAAAAJk/eY2ISkmhqvM/s320/bella_vamp2323.jpg or http://bp2.blogger.com/_BPbrULxD7vQ/SGfc5CgNlDI/AAAAAAAABhs/9y3awQGFc68/s400/16-dessange-vamp.JPG

All of those dresses are very pretty, and I'm now having dress-want.

However, I completely fail to see what the last two photos have in common, besides long hair. :smallconfused:

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 12:44 AM
However, I completely fail to see what the last two photos have in common, besides long hair. :smallconfused:

It's not that they're especially similar, it's that they're nifty things to do with long hair to be schmaltzy, I believe

Strawberries
2010-11-18, 01:07 AM
Have you considered nipple tape, or even extra-large bandaids to cover the areas in question?

Wouldn't that hurt like hell when removed? :smalleek:
I wouldn't go out without a bra, but only because my boobs would bounce when I walk, and be a general nuisance.

I love the third one. And it's probably the only one of the three that would look good on me. I need something that fits loosely on the hips and butt, and gives a little help in evidencing my breasts (yep, big hips, big butt, small breasts. :smallsigh:)

CWater
2010-11-18, 02:12 AM
I always wear sport bras. Not because I would be athletic (the only sport I do is karate), but because I dislike ordinary bras so darn much. I find them uncomfortable, I can never find anything that would fit properly and most of them I wouldn't like to wear anyway. Seriously, most of the bras I've seen at stores look outright ridiculous.:smallsigh:

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 02:23 AM
When you think about it though, most underwear is pretty ridiculous anyway.

Lillith
2010-11-18, 05:23 AM
I can easily find bra's my size. Problem for me is that bra's are horribly expensive. Some bra's are being sold for a 100 euro's! Not that I have those kinds, actually managed to find a store that sells cheaper underwear. Still bra's are going for like 30 euro's or something.

My size over here is 70/75 B. Depending on the type of bra apparently. Not sure what size it is in the US. Google says 70cm is about 27/28 inches? But yeah I also have some old sports bra's for when I go to Aikido.

SMEE
2010-11-18, 05:30 AM
Bra shopping is a nightmare.

I have very small breasts, so it's hard to find one with a cup size that doesn't fit very loosely. The band can be troublesome too, but band extenders help with that.

Now... to find one that is comfortable is nigh impossible.

Edit:

I tried several varieties of breast pads for breast feeding, and I'm afraid that the adhesive is pretty useless in all of them. I could only get them to stay in my clothing because the bra was holding them in place. Hence, I wouldn't recommend them for bra-less use.

Really? :smalleek:
I found that they stuck quite well for me when I had those 9 months lactating for no real reason during 2009.
That was a bad time. :smallsigh:

Quincunx
2010-11-18, 07:39 AM
cycoris: What. . .You can't buy the same cup size in different band sizes and have the same boobspace. Your 'irritation' is almost certainly trying to squash the girls into inadequate space, which is also why you're overflowing enough to flash your nipples. The boobspace of a 36B bra is the same boobspace of a 32D bra. You can't say you have 'B' boobs and be done with it forever. In short, get an actual bra fitting because the tape measure has lied, lied, lied. (Yes it sucks, but I vow to you, having non-Grecian-statue-sized ta-tas will not make you less of an iconoclast. I manage it.)

Ohyeah. How. How is important. Band size is easier to start with. Get a bunch of bras to try on that have cup sizes FAR too large, one for each band size. Hook those on until you find the band size that doesn't fall down when you slide the straps off. (If you go from "can't breathe when fastened" straight to "falls down", then you're one of those two sizes--go back out and get different styles in those band sizes, particularly looking for ones that are different in the bridge between the cups, and try again.) After that, select a range of cup sizes with two samples per cup size (again aiming for different bridges if you can) and try all of them on. There'll be several moments of "oh my god, I'm not being squashed!" Take notes on cup size and general shape of bra.

Aha. After much digging, found the post (http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,5596.msg105476.html#msg105476) that taught me how to do this.

WarKitty: Band size what? . . .You win. I've access to a generous selection of sizes in the local department store but they don't even go down to 28. (And should. There's still teeny local women well under 5' tall.)

Related-to-what-Coidzor-said: Bra straps only have a limited amount of adjustment in them, and whereas his shopping companion had to look for long straps, I have to look for ones with a long adjustment area which can be taken up. Even then, sometimes I have to sew up the strap to get it short enough.

Keld Denar: The D/E event horizon is arbitrary, and possibly related to the school of thought which refuses to "go up a size" but will take a "sideways" move to a size which looks the same. :smallfrown: Then again, it may just be that the people using E and up are the same people who are designing bras for bigger cups in the first place. Given the choice between bra E from company A and the DD or DDD from company B, I'll try the E first on the assumption that this manufacturer has slightly more of a clue.

. . .On the bright side, with knowledge of my proper size and preferred bra shape (extremely short straps and narrow bridge--the wires have to lie alongside one another at the middle, or it won't lie correctly--no floating-wire demi-bra cut for me) and aforementioned generous department store, I can go in, scan the racks very quickly, and grab ones with the right build no matter how odd they look. The last trip took half an hour and that includes scanning, trying on about six, and buying two.

dish
2010-11-18, 08:20 AM
Really? :smalleek:
I found that they stuck quite well for me when I had those 9 months lactating for no real reason during 2009.
That was a bad time. :smallsigh:

Maybe you were wearing tight tops which kept them in?

None of my tight clothes fit any more. But then again, very few of any of my clothes fit any more. Add in the fact that I need easy-access tops, and my entire wardrobe consists of four things right now. (One of which is a pair of yoga pants with holes in them.) Being 2 dress sizes too large is deeply annoying.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-18, 08:50 AM
Curly :smallsmile:

Some pictures for you - spoilered 'cause of massiveness...

My sister's hair - probably not too great if your event is uber-formal.
http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/124-1/DSC05706.JPG

My hair from the same wedding - badly done french twist. I can do them much better now...
http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/127-1/DSC05791.JPG

Another shot...
http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/130-1/DSC05792.JPG

My sister and best friend as my bridesmaids - some other ideas for you
http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/133-1/justwed_SBP0721.jpg

And just for kicks - my hair from my wedding. Excuse the photographer's watermark. I thought of this because my hair was permed at the time. Hairdresser also used rollers for big soft curls then pinned them up. I had flowers in it initially, but it was rather hot and they died.
http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/134-1/DSC_0055ADSC_0055A.jpg

Warkitty - while I was rummaging through photos for Curly, I found a couple for you too :smallsmile: Me with my hair shorter than yours is now, wearing a pretty sparkly clip

http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/138-1/DSC00586.JPG

http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/141-1/DSC00587.JPG

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-18, 11:20 AM
The girliest picture on the internet of me with my pixie cut. It's my senior picture. I'm wearing makeup for once.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v54/21/9/1225020560/n1225020560_30081043_7051.jpg
Unfortunately you can't really see my hair.

I have chin-length hair right now. Maybe a little longer. And it's girly enough I think.

Dragonrider
2010-11-18, 11:40 AM

That's because more 36C bras are sold than any other size - though according to an article I read once somewhere on the interwebs (so you know it's legit) many of those "average 36C" women should actually be wearing a 34D.

Related-to-what-Coidzor-said: Bra straps only have a limited amount of adjustment in them, and whereas his shopping companion had to look for long straps, I have to look for ones with a long adjustment area which can be taken up. Even then, sometimes I have to sew up the strap to get it short enough.

Same here. I'm always tightening further.

Keld Denar: The D/E event horizon is arbitrary, and possibly related to the school of thought which refuses to "go up a size" but will take a "sideways" move to a size which looks the same. :smallfrown: Then again, it may just be that the people using E and up are the same people who are designing bras for bigger cups in the first place. Given the choice between bra E from company A and the DD or DDD from company B, I'll try the E first on the assumption that this manufacturer has slightly more of a clue.

In that case I'm a 32G? 34F? I'm right on the borderline between the band sizes. Either way the chances of finding my size in a typical department store are none. Last time I went bra-shopping the closest thing to my size they had was 34DD - rural Oregon is not known for its fantastic shopping. I'd probably have to drive three hours at the least to find a place that would stock anything remotely near my size. I'm scared of internet bra shopping, though, when I'm at that ambiguous point where sometimes I'm 32 and sometimes I'm 34.

Ed: Hair: I'm growing it out. Again. It seems to take forever because it's at least 5-7 inches longer than it looks, and the more length it has, the more it shrinks. Eventually it'll reach its "fall" point, where the curl pulls out more at the top and it gains three inches overnight, but until then . . . .

WarKitty
2010-11-18, 12:14 PM
WarKitty: Band size what? . . .You win. I've access to a generous selection of sizes in the local department store but they don't even go down to 28. (And should. There's still teeny local women well under 5' tall.)

It's one of those things...I measure as a 32, but when I put on a 32 bra the cups are too wide and set too far apart, and I end up popping out the center. Apparently the width is more back and less front than bras are designed for. Plus I *sweat* if I put on a thick heavy bra, so I don't want any of the really padded stuff.

cycoris
2010-11-18, 12:51 PM
Quin, I usually get 36B bras (the smallest band size they stock that has the right cup size) and then take the band in ~2 inches. And the cups are...roomie-ish, just in all the wrong places. :smallsigh:

Will probably just never wear a bra again out of rebellion. :smalltongue:

On hair: It's growing out, slowly. My hair grows almost twice as fast as "average", but it still feels like it's creeping along. And the texture is so different from what it used to be, I can't quite figure out what to do with it. My hair used to be quite wavy and dry, but now it's straight and greasy on top but really hideously dry at the bottom. Drenching the ends in conditioner and then rubbing them with cocoa butter after showering helps, but I just can't figure out what to do with the top. Shampoo makes the texture nasty, but I haven't been able to find a better alternative. Suggestions?

Also also also, WarKitty is quite cute. :smallredface:

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 02:38 PM
Shampoo makes the texture nasty, but I haven't been able to find a better alternative. Suggestions?

What sort of shampoo are you currently using?

Keld Denar
2010-11-18, 03:52 PM
Shampoo makes the texture nasty, but I haven't been able to find a better alternative. Suggestions?

Try going around to a couple of really nice salons and tell them exactly what you problem is. Express interest in getting info and knowing what you can do to improve. They will probably suggest various products and offer to work on your hair. Just say "hmmm, interesting, I'll keep looking" and leave. Then go home, get on teh intarwebz, and look up the products they are recommending, consumer reports and such, and the viability of purchasing the product online without paying the rediculous salon markup. Free pro advice from people who play with hair for a living.

Most shampoos are different. Some products might work better for your chemistry than others. You can seldom have too MUCH information.

Lillith
2010-11-18, 04:33 PM
Urgh, I don't feel like talking about relationships. But do you girls ever have that feeling/idea that's pretty much:

ARGH! GUYS!!!:furious::furious::furious:

*strangle strangle* *hits with a bat* *stomp stomp stomp*

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-18, 04:40 PM
In my experience, there is absolutely no difference between the sexes as far as frustration quotient is concerned.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-11-18, 04:42 PM
In my experience, there is absolutely no difference between the sexes as far as frustration quotient is concerned.

Just the area of focus.

SMEE
2010-11-18, 04:43 PM
Urgh, I don't feel like talking about relationships. But do you girls ever have that feeling/idea that's pretty much:

Many, many times. :smallannoyed:

WarKitty
2010-11-18, 04:51 PM

Start hitting on girls? :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-18, 04:54 PM

I get this feeling, and I don't even date men...