PDA

View Full Version : Luck

Kaww
2010-11-16, 07:30 AM
Which spells tend to eliminate or lessen it's influence on the game?

Unluck SC is one of them, there is also divine version in CC. I bet there are more, but I can't find them. Particularly looking for ones that give two saves/attacks/etc and you get to keep the more favorable result.

Brendan
2010-11-16, 07:53 AM
you have the whole chain of luck feats from CS, class features from a bunch of classes and prcs, and a couple magic items.
but thats ways to get it without a caster.

Person_Man
2010-11-16, 10:23 AM
Here's a life lesson as well as a game lesson. Don't put yourself in a position where luck decides your destiny.

If you're worried about Saving Throws, take the Divine Defiance feat (Fiendish Codex II) which lets you counter spell as an Immediate Action, and cast Spell Resistance. Hang back from the front line, use battlefield control, and it's unlikely that you'll ever have to roll a Save.

Casters have many such strategies available to them. You can get flight, Flyby Attack, and any form of etherealness (there are a bunch of different methods). Move, cast a Standard Action spell, and then move again. If you end your movement on the other side of (or inside) a wall or other solid object where your enemies can't get line of sight to you, then they can't target you. Or just cast Invisibility, move around the corner, and then Summon (not an attack, so it doesn't dispel your Invisibility). Use divination to figure out exactly what enemies live inside a dungeon, then memorize spells specifically designed to beat them. Use Alter Self or Polymorph yourself into something crazy awesome. Or just buff your friends and allow them to get all the "glory" in combat while you passively hang back, out of danger. There are literally dozens (and perhaps hundreds) of such options. As long as you change up your tactics between combats and provoke your DM by gloating, you can play for years without ever worrying about luck.

This is why I rarely play traditional full casters any more. If you really know what you're doing, it's just too easy unless the DM also really knows what he's doing and specifically designs Tier 1 combats to challenge you.

Greenish
2010-11-16, 10:29 AM
Aim to roll only what you have to.

Invisibility, flight, Astral Protection and the like can make you less likely to be targeted at all. Instantaneous counters such as Ruin Delver's Fortune or Abrupt Jaunt can remove you from trouble without rolling. Readied actions and certain feats and maneuvers allow allies to take hits for you.

For offense, self-buffs require no opposed rolls, and several spells are offer AoO damage (no attack roll required), ignore SR or offer no save. An ideal spell (such as Hail of Stones from SC) would have all those attributes.

ToB Diamond Mind counters allow replacing saves with Concentration checks, which typically have higher bonus, and more importantly for the topic, do not fail on Nat 1. Steadfast Determination (PHBII) also means you won't auto-fail your fort saves on nat 1.

Psyren
2010-11-16, 10:31 AM
Destiny Domain has plenty of reroll stuff.

I think there's some divination spells/clairsentience powers that grant rerolls as well (at work so can't spend too much time book diving.)

Kaww
2010-11-16, 10:52 AM
See, when I said something about a spell that allows similar effects to unluck I meant that I'm looking for things like that. Not for ways to avoid rolling the dice.
Thanks Psyren, if you don't mind posting their names/books later I would be grateful. I'm looking for things that will not make my DM hit me with a DMG. I know pride domain lets you reroll 1 on a save. I'm looking for something along those lines. Something that makes me less likely to suck on a save or suck...

Douglas
2010-11-16, 11:09 AM
Choose Destiny lets you roll twice and take the better for attack rolls, saves, and skill checks for a round/level. Domain-only 9th level spell, though. It's from Races of Destiny.

I think there's an immediate action 1-time reroll spell in PHB2, but it has an xp cost as I recall.