PDA

View Full Version : Latin Spellcasting

Crisis21
2010-11-16, 12:28 PM
I've been following irregular webcomic for a while, and today's (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/2851.html) linked to something I think some DnD players might appreciate: DnD spell names translated into latin.

Wizard Spells (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/stonekeep/25/latin.htm)

Cleric Spells (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/stonekeep/25/latin2.html)

Have fun, and let me know the reactions of your gaming group.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-16, 01:08 PM
Looks neat.
Do you actually know latin, or did you just access an online translator? I'm guessing the former, but who knows, maybe you just know a better translation site than I do.

Either way, that looks like it was quite a bit of work, so thank you kindly for your efforts.

Christopher K.
2010-11-16, 01:12 PM
You seem to be missing "Stoppus BadGuyus."

Very nice list, and I can see several people(myself and my uncle included) using this.

Crisis21
2010-11-16, 05:46 PM
Looks neat.
Do you actually know latin, or did you just access an online translator? I'm guessing the former, but who knows, maybe you just know a better translation site than I do.

Either way, that looks like it was quite a bit of work, so thank you kindly for your efforts.

Neither. I linked to an existing list. So, while I appreciate the thanks, you're really giving me too much credit.

dsmiles
2010-11-16, 06:21 PM
Neither. I linked to an existing list. So, while I appreciate the thanks, you're really giving me too much credit.

I started to do all of the spells in Korean, but I only got as far as Aid before I got a headache. :smalltongue:

Logalmier
2010-11-16, 06:33 PM
Bah! I want Draconic!

zimmerwald1915
2010-11-16, 06:48 PM
Bah! I want Draconic!
And I want Valarin. But both lexicons would have to expand a hundredfold in order to actually manage it.

SurlySeraph
2010-11-16, 11:19 PM
They look to be overly literal translations, which is pretty awkward for some of them (e.g. "Invisibility to Undead is given as "Invisibilitas ad Manes." "Ad" means "to" in the sense of "towards," so a literal translation of that to English would be "Invisibility towards dead spirits." "Manes" should probably be ablative of respect here, not accusative). Nitpicking aside, they could definitely be fun to use.

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-17, 01:08 AM
Huh. I never thought of the spell names as imperatives. I'm not quite sure what exactly I thought they were supposed to be, but I guess the words were just completely isolated from any actual uses in my mind.

1of3
2010-11-17, 07:37 AM
Pulchritudo quod audiri potest - wrong relativ pronon. Beauty is female.

Palmae incendium - why don't you keep the syntax? palmae ardentes

Ipse vara - Now, that's terrible. Mutare ipsum.

Homo fascina - Did you even learn what an object is? Hominem fascinare.

Color sparge - No! No! No! Spargitio colorata

Linguae comprehende - Cool, you now what plural is. Still no idea about case. Linguas comprehendere

Every single spell that consists of more than one word, is crap. Even the ones that only have a single word, sometimes have that is ... unusual for the purpose.

Edit: I correct myself. "Equum conscendo" is proper Latin, even though it means "I mount a horse". I what have thought that the spell's name was meant to be a noun but whatever suits you.

SilverLeaf167
2010-11-17, 09:23 AM
Pulchritudo quod audiri potest - wrong relativ pronon. Beauty is female.

Palmae incendium - why don't you keep the syntax? palmae ardentes

Ipse vara - Now, that's terrible. Mutare ipsum.

Homo fascina - Did you even learn what an object is? Hominem fascinare.

Color sparge - No! No! No! Spargitio colorata

Linguae comprehende - Cool, you now what plural is. Still no idea about case. Linguas comprehendere

Every single spell that consists of more than one word, is crap. Even the ones that only have a single word, sometimes have that is ... unusual for the purpose.

Edit: I correct myself. "Equum conscendo" is proper Latin, even though it means "I mount a horse". I what have thought that the spell's name was meant to be a noun but whatever suits you.
You should say "he". As Crisis said, he didn't make this list.

Kaeso
2010-11-17, 10:55 AM
Wow, that looks really cool.

Just a small note on the pronunctuation though (if I'm wrong somebody else with more knowledge of classical languages can correct me) but if I'm correct there are two ways to pronounce latin: the 'official' way and the pronunctuation of the Catholic Church (I hope, and assume, this doesn't count as discussing religion, which is a banned topic here). The first one always pronounces the C as a K, while the second sometimes pronounces it as a "che"-sound (like modern day Italians).

Either way, if you can bash those names into your head you could sound really impressive when casting spells in your gaming group :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-11-17, 11:05 AM

Hello, wizard, look at your spells, now back to me, now back at your spells, now back to me. Sadly, they aren’t me, but if they stopped being in sissy english and switched to latin, they could sound like they’re me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a ship with the man your spells could sound like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a link with those latin spells (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/stonekeep/25/latin.htm) that you love (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/stonekeep/25/latin2.html). Look again, the spells are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man sounds like me and not a sissy. Equum conscendo.

:smallcool:

AstralFire
2010-11-17, 11:10 AM
dsmiles wins

dsmiles
2010-11-17, 11:16 AM
The whole "I mount a horse" thing kind of set that one up. :smalltongue:

El Dorado
2010-11-17, 11:19 AM
Great links. Definitely going to throw some of those in the next time I play a wizard. My bard's still going to use his rhyming couplets. :smallwink:

PersonMan
2010-11-17, 11:26 AM
dsmiles wins

I agree.

The whole "I mount a horse" thing kind of set that one up. :smalltongue:

I don't care.

That. Was. Awesome.

Aron Times
2010-11-17, 03:23 PM
Anyone here read/watch Negima? It has Gratuitous Latin, Greek, Sanskrit, etc. for its spells.

nedz
2010-11-17, 05:15 PM
There are a few of these out there on the machine plane.

I found these some years ago, I'm not sure if they are any better though since my Latin is extreamly poor.

Arcane Spells (http://www.geeknative.com/1965/latin-spell-names-for-dd-3rd/"
"http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/stonekeep/25/latin.htm)

dgnslyr
2010-11-17, 10:50 PM
I noticed that Time Stop is incorrectly translated. Unless I'm mistaken, it should be Malleus Tempus.
The above is a joke, one I have always wanted to make.

houlio
2010-11-17, 11:31 PM
I noticed that Time Stop is incorrectly translated. Unless I'm mistaken, it should be Malleus Tempus.
The above is a joke, one I have always wanted to make.

Lol, nice one.
But I think to be really hardcore, someone would have to write all these spells using single, compound words in Greek, using the aorist wherever and whenever it is possible.

Eldariel
2010-11-17, 11:38 PM
I should try to translate the spell list into Quenya. Would be exceedingly useful for Elven Wizard :smallconfused:

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-18, 01:15 AM
Lol, nice one.
But I think to be really hardcore, someone would have to write all these spells using single, compound words in Greek, using the aorist wherever and whenever it is possible.

Someone, huh?

Nah.