PDA

View Full Version : Stat up a picture. (3.5)

Greenish
2010-11-16, 02:16 PM
The ever-awesome Dungeons and Dreamboats III (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169678&page=15) continues to supply me with character portraits and ideas, but now Serpentine has posted a picture of a character I really want to play… but have no idea how to stat up!

So, here it goes: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs36/i/2008/254/f/a/__Winter___by_OwlGem.jpg

Susano-wo
2010-11-16, 02:23 PM
screams wizard or sorc to me. no particular level requirements, but frost themed, of course.

take the cone of cold reserve feat, or see if GM will allow you to change the fire feat to cold damage--this guys looks like he loves to throw power around willy nilly:smallbiggrin:

[also, any feats/spells that allow him to be a cocky little bastard. you might want still/silent spell, just so he can wave his hands to make effects happen, without all the bother of chanting/complex hand signs]

SurlySeraph
2010-11-16, 02:25 PM
Wizard or Sorcerer, take some of those cold-related metamagic feats from Frostburn, maybe go into Elemental Savant?

Warlawk
2010-11-16, 02:28 PM
Well, there's no specific racial indicator there, so most anything that doesn't have a very distinctive look could be made to match.

The imagery for me just draws up a sense of a spellcaster, either based on frost/ice or some sort of void/force/negative energy theme.

Halae
2010-11-16, 02:28 PM
don't forget energy substiution! that's an excellent metamagic feat. Particularly when you tell the red dragon, "I prepared fireball this morning"

Shademan
2010-11-16, 02:32 PM
frostburn prestige classes.

zimmerwald1915
2010-11-16, 02:35 PM
Frostmage. Full stop.

Greenish
2010-11-16, 02:52 PM
Well, there's no specific racial indicator thereReally? Looks kinda icy to me. :smallamused:

I was, in fact, toying with Ice Paragenasi.

frostburn prestige classes.

Frostmage. Full stop.Frostmage is… boring. 10 levels for some NA and summoning spells. Full casting and easy entry means it's plenty strong, but I like class features. :smallfrown:

Aside from wiz/sorc (which I admit were the first things to come to my mind), I've been considering a psion (energy blasting), unarmed swordsage (with Desert Wind tweaked to cold), a (hunter variant) druid or a (cloistered) cleric (both of which would have some nice ice/weather themed spells).

…But none of them "click", so to say.

Vaecae
2010-11-16, 03:10 PM
Well if none of them 'click' here's what my husband did once. He made a character who's name and appearance would lead anyone to believe he was a fire and earth based caster, when in fact all the spells he used were sonic and air typed things. Go with something that seems off the obvious. I mean this guy looks like a cocky brat who would love to mess with people. Maybe he's an illusionist or a conjurer, or maybe his favorite spell is actually burning hands but he likes blue and the frosty motif because he finds it pretty.

of course he could just come form a cold climate and be a 'Blue Mage'.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-11-16, 03:11 PM
The ever-awesome Dungeons and Dreamboats III (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169678&page=15) continues to supply me with character portraits and ideas, but now Serpentine has posted a picture of a character I really want to play… but have no idea how to stat up!

So, here it goes: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs36/i/2008/254/f/a/__Winter___by_OwlGem.jpg

I think it looks a bit like a Warlock or Hexblade. You could give yourself a challenge optimising one of them. Actually, the Warlock's Eldritch Blast could easily be described as biting cold, they have DR/Cold Iron which could have been from something like an icy Fey heritage (Yuki-on-na?), IIRC they get a version of Black Tentacles with added Cold damage somewhere or other and that syngergises fairly well with Skeletons (immune to Cold damage) from The Dead Walk. I'm gonna say Warlock, possibly with a Mindbender(?) dip for Telepathy so he doesn't just talk down to people, he thinks down to them, and begrudges the effort wasted on them for that. That Strength-sapping shadow Invocation might also fit the theme.

Grynning
2010-11-16, 03:16 PM
Pathfinder Sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer) with the Water Elemental or Frost Bloodline is what I thought of.

Edit: Silver or White Dragon bloodline would work too.

Halae
2010-11-16, 03:18 PM
he doesn't just talk down to people, he thinks down to them, and begrudges the effort wasted on them for that.

I must do this

Greenish
2010-11-16, 03:55 PM
I think it looks a bit like a Warlock or Hexblade. You could give yourself a challenge optimising one of them. Actually, the Warlock's Eldritch Blast could easily be described as biting cold, they have DR/Cold Iron which could have been from something like an icy Fey heritage (Yuki-on-na?), IIRC they get a version of Black Tentacles with added Cold damage somewhere or other and that syngergises fairly well with Skeletons (immune to Cold damage) from The Dead Walk. I'm gonna say Warlock, possibly with a Mindbender(?) dip for Telepathy so he doesn't just talk down to people, he thinks down to them, and begrudges the effort wasted on them for that. That Strength-sapping shadow Invocation might also fit the theme.Huh, I can see that. Cheers! :smallcool:

ScionoftheVoid
2010-11-16, 03:59 PM
Huh, I can see that. Cheers! :smallcool:

Woo! I helped someone! I'm always surprised when that happens.

@Harnel: Feel free, obviously. After writing it I thought it was cool enough to steal for a future character.

Halae
2010-11-16, 04:06 PM
@Harnel: Feel free, obviously. After writing it I thought it was cool enough to steal for a future character.

I'm going to make him the type of character that is so ridiculously over the top in his disdain of others that it can't be defined as racism, as that requires love of a certain race. No, he's just going to be a complete stuck up jackass, and he will be awesome, with the only people who he will deign to talk to being his love interest (As my DM always gives each party member one, unless we specifically say we don't want it this time) and those who earn his respect. which will require quite a bit, to be sure.

Susano-wo
2010-11-16, 04:09 PM
Really? Looks kinda icy to me. :smallamused:

I was, in fact, toying with Ice Paragenasi.

Frostmage is… boring. 10 levels for some NA and summoning spells. Full casting and easy entry means it's plenty strong, but I like class features. :smallfrown:

Aside from wiz/sorc (which I admit were the first things to come to my mind), I've been considering a psion (energy blasting), unarmed swordsage (with Desert Wind tweaked to cold), a (hunter variant) druid or a (cloistered) cleric (both of which would have some nice ice/weather themed spells).

…But none of them "click", so to say.
/Thread.
Cold Genasi Swordsage it is!

...err, oh wait, its not my decision, is it...:smallsigh:

Logalmier
2010-11-16, 06:41 PM
I'd recommend Elemental Savant from CA if it wasn't so terrible. It goes along great, flavor wise.

Vaynor
2010-11-16, 06:50 PM
Maybe part ice mephit?

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 06:59 PM
I believe there's a race of Ice Genasi. So an Ice Genasi Cold-themed Mage would be probably the most straightforward thought. Half-Paraelemental would probably also work though I don't think they extended Half-Elemental to the paraelements so some minor tweaking would be in order...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-16, 08:38 PM
As above, go with (Unarmed) Swordsage with Desert Wind modified to deal cold damage, considering a Tundra is technically a type of desert. Add in at least one level of Cryokineticist (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e), the variant of the Pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) from XPH rather than the version in Frostburn, so he can conjure a whip of cold energy at will. I'd give him two levels in Cryokineticist to get Cold Resistance 10, so he's guaranteed to be able to survive in cold environments. You'd need to use a psionic race or to take Wild/Hidden Talent or Warped Mind. That Ice Paragenasi looks like the strongest candidate, or maybe use Frost Folk from Frostburn. I'd probably go with an Elan so he could live in the frozen wastelands indefinitely due to their Sustenance ability.

Worlok
2010-11-16, 08:45 PM
Pathfinder Sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer) with the Water Elemental or Frost Bloodline is what I thought of.

Edit: Silver or White Dragon bloodline would work too.
+1 to this. Ice rather than any of the Dragons, perhaps, in my opinion he does not really have all that much in the way of visible draconic traits to him...