PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] First Homebrew PrC attempt...

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-16, 04:37 PM
This is my first ever attempt at a homebrew PrC. It is based on an evil overdeity used in multiple campaigns of mine and ment to represent his evil, arcane devotees(He also has clerics in his service but I did not feel they needed their own PrC) who seek nothing less then total domination and power. The class thus is a class exclusively for spontaneous arcane casters that focuses around both the leadership feat and mind-effecting enchantment spells while also giving them some "cleric-esc" abilities, mainly access to the thematically appropriate Domination prestige domain and the ability to rebuke undead. Despite the deity specific fluff this class can be added to any campaign simply by changing the name and deity requirement or even adding it as is since overdeities have few followers and most people don't even know their names let alone that they have a select group of followers like Naxis has.

Also, be aware that this is more or less, my first homebrew and it actually borrows heavily from some already existing classes. Thus I would rather not like honest remarks to be too brutal. This is my first attempt, so I would really like it if you "go easy" on me for my first attempt. Anyway...here is the class..

Tyrant of Naxis

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/AkatsukiEmperor/TyrantofNaxispic.jpg
Art by *shinobi-fi of Deviantart.com

To most who know the cosmos there is a strict hierarchy which at the very top sit the Overdieites, the mysterious beings of great power. However, there is a forgotten legend which has become nothing more then a fable. A tale to tell to children to teach them right from wrong. A tale of a time before the gods, before even the multiverse when there was but one world. A world watched over by two mighty dragons, one a female, a kind and caring being known as Althea. The other, who was the brother of the female dragon was ruthless, domineering being known as Naxis. He desired to do away with the free will of all beings to create a perfect world which he could rule with an iron fist. Thus to do this he killed his sister and took over existence itself. However, in her death Althea wasw able to defend her people. Her magical energy had protected the free will of all those who Naxis sought to turn into his perfect drones.

Thus, out of rage and sadistic pleasure he submitted everybody to his tyrannical rule, the evil and corrupt venerating his power while all others suffered under his rule for countless eternities. However, a hero rose up. The reincarnation of Naxis’ hated sister, this hero rebelled against the Tyrant King and their fight was so great that legends say this one world was broken into countless parts which would then come to slowly be transformed into the multiverse as it exists today. While his world was all but shattered and Naxis had “died” the idea that he was completely destroyed was far from the truth. As a new multiverse began to form and Overdeities and Gods came into being, Naxis had remained, a shadow of his former self. Despite this, however, Naxis was still considerably powerful and he had established himself as an overdeity, a patron of a select group of clerics and arcane spellcasters who venerated his dark power and sought to once again establish his despotic rule.

However, to most this is but an old morality tale. However, it is very real. Naxis is an overdeity of great power and guile. A Tyrant through and through, he seeks to regain his former glory and establish his dark empire. While the most power-hungry of clerics often turn to the tyrant king, his most foul minions are a small group of arcane spellcasters who, seeking greater power, turn themselves to Naxis. Known as the “Tyrants of Naxis” these evil mages seek nothing less then absolute power, and are promised just that by their dark master. Highly charismatic, cunning and ruthless, the Tyrants of Naxis are the ultimate rulers, commanding armies of fanatically loyal minions and others who have come to serve them far less willingly. Both a leader who rules through fear and lies and a mage who dominates others with enchantment magic, the Tyrant of Naxis is a villain of the grandest kind and a force that should not be taken lightly...

Requirements
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Deity: Must Worship Naxis
Skills: Bluff: 5 Ranks, Intimidate: 4 ranks
Feats: Leadership, Skill Focus: Intimidate or Skill Focus: Bluff
Spellcasting: Must be able to spontaneously cast 3rd level arcane spells.
Cohort: Must have a cohort of at least 6th level

Proficiencies
The Tyrant of Naxis gains no proficiencies with armor, weapons and shields of any kind.

Skills
The Tyrant of Naxis has the following skills as class skills: Bluff(Cha), Concentration(Con), Intimidate(Cha), Knowledge [Arcana](Int), Knowledge [History](Int), Knowledge [Religion](Int), Knowledge [The Planes](Int), Spellcraft(Int).

Skill Points
2+ Int Modifier

TYRANT OF NAXIS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2| Prestige Domain: Domination|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3||+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3 | Shatter the Shield |+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4| Power of the Emperor +2 |+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4||+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| Tyranical Leadership +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6| Tyranical Leadership +4, Fanatical Loyalty |+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6| Power of the Emperor +4 |+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| Tyrannical Leadership +6, Absolute Domination |+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Prestige Domain: Domination- When the Tyrant of Naxis first submits himself to the will of the Dragon Tyrant he is given cleric-like powers to aid him in his master’s machinations. At 1st level a Tyrant of Naxis gains the Domination domain as a prestige domain. However, unlike a cleric he dose not gain domain slots. Instead he adds all the domain spells from that domain of the spell levels he can cast to his spells known. In addition, when he gains access to a new spell level he automatically adds the domination domain’s spell of that spell level to his spells known. Spells gained from this domain do not count against his total spells known.
(The Domination Prestige Domain comes from the Draconomicon)

Shatter the Shield- At 3rd level the Tyrant of Naxis gains the ability to chose to have any mind-effecting enchantment spells he casts ignore any immunity that enemies have to mind effecting spells. If he dose this the target of such a spell gets a bonus to their save equal to 10 -the Tyrant's class level.

Power of the Emperor- At 4th level the Tyrant of Naxis has become a master of manipulating and controlling the minds of others. At 4th level he gains a +2 bonus to his caster level when casting mind effecting enchantment spells. At 9th level this increases to +4.

Tyrannical Leadership- At 6th level the Tyrant of Naxis gains a +2 profane bonus to his leadership score. The ability increases to +4 at 8th level and +6 at 10th level. In addition, a Tyrant of Naxis dose not suffer the usual -2 penalty to his leadership score for cruelty. This ability applies to all leadership feats a character has. A Tyrant of Naxis cannot gain a cohort who’s level is greater then his own level -2 despite any bonuses to his leadership score he gains from this ability.

Fanatical Loyalty- At level 8 the Tyrant of Naxis gains a supernatural ability which makes all of his followers and cohorts fanatically loyal to him. They will not balk at life threatening actions or actions that would normally lay outside their alignment and normal behavior if the Tyrant of Naxis asks them to perform such actions. Spells that the Tyrant of Naxis casts on his cohorts that normally grant a saving throw or saving throw
bonus if the subject is asked to take life-threatening actions or actions contrary
to her nature do not do so if the subject is fanatically loyal to the Tyrant of Naxis.

Absolute Domination- At 10th level the Tyrant of Naxis can make the duration of any mind effecting spell successfully cast on a single creature permanent. If he decides to apply this ability to a spell he cannot use his Shatter the Shield class feature to bypass immunity to mind effecting spells. He can only have this ability effect one spell at any given time and if he applies it to another spell the creature effected by the previous spell altered by this ability is free from whatever spell you had made pertinently effect them.(So in other words, if a Tyrant of Naxis uses this ability to make a Dominate Person spell permanent and then used it to make a dominate monster spell permanent the creature that was effected by his dominate person spell is automatically freed from it's effects.)Spells which the Tyrant uses in this manner cannot be removed via dispel magic and other such spells. Break Enchantment, however, can end this effect, as can a wish or miracle spell. This ability cannot be used on unique beings such as Gods, ArchDemons, The Tarrasque ect…

(Campaign Use Notes: While this class is fluffed as a follower of an overdeity thought to be a myth you can easily re-fluff it to fit any deity that may exist in your campaign world. As a general rule of thumb any deities which have a focus on tyranny and evil are appropriate for making this class be based upon. However, despite this, the class can also work just fine as is. Naxis being an overdeity can easily be squeezed into any setting due to the mysterious nature of most 0verdeities. In fact, the legend need not even be the truth or even exist. Naxis functions fine as a standard overdeity and the legend is just fluff from some of my own campaigns and can be altered however you wish.)

Credits to Kobald-Bard for helping me sort out some issues with earlier versions of this class

(Other Notes: I sometimes mess up things grammatically I am not looking for any grammar corrections other then ones which fix grammar mistakes that allow for abuse/cheese. Same thing with formatting. Also, any similarities to the Dreadmaster are intentional. I found the dreadmaster’s mechanics to work perfectly for the flavor of this class so therefore instead of think of some other ability which could simulate it but not as well I decided to borrow from them heavily. So don’t say I am copying the class because I already know and understand that many of the abilities are similar if not outright identical. I know I suck most likely and I don't need to be reminded of that.)

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-16, 05:05 PM
Is this intended for player or NPC use? This is not clear.

They are also different design goals...

As it is, it looks like an NPC class but gets bogged down in the use of Leadership, a feat few GMs bother with for their villains [unless, like me, you like to explain where things came from]...

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-16, 05:08 PM
It was designed with BBEGs in mind but not created exclusively for BBEGs. I did not fully consider how it would work on PCs and is most likely too powerful for players. Like I said, it's a first attempt. I was not expecting it to be great for a first try.

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-16, 05:27 PM
Well, it's pretty powerful...

Enchantment is pretty much all "save or stop controlling your character" so that'll draw complaints. Everything is pretty simple and clearly typed though, so i can't see any abuses.

One minor note is that you've put "dose" instead of "does" in a bunch of places, something that's easily corrected with the Replace tool.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-16, 05:31 PM
I see, so if I wanted to tone the class down to PC level do you suggest I lessen the CL level increase to enchantment spells or do away with it outright and increase the save bonus granted by the shatter the shield ability or all together get rid of that power as well? If so, what abilities should go in it's place? Perhaps Thrallheard/mindbender-esc charm/dominate abilities?

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-16, 05:45 PM
The caster level thing isn't an issue as far as i remember [i only know core all that well magically, but mostly CL only applies to duration an Spell Resistance with Enchantment].

I'd suggest some kind of limit on the permanent effests of the capstone. Maybe at most 3 at a time or possibly less. I'd also stop it working on anything with more that +50% of the caster's HD

The main point of abuse is probably the turn undead attempts. With a level dip, you could be looking at a lot of Divine Metamagic...

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-16, 05:48 PM
Yeah, that is true. I may just get rid of rebuke all togther. As for the limit on the capstone there already is one, though I may not have worded it in the best way. You can basically only have that power effect ONE creature at any time, period. As soon as you use it on another creature the previous one is freed from the effects of the enchantment spell. I suppose I should try and say that in a more clear manner. As for the 50 % thing I may try that...though I am not sure if my "only can effect one creature at a time" is enough of a limitation in and of itself...most likely not, but I would like opinions.

Pyromancer999
2010-11-16, 07:30 PM
Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but..... I've read the Deities section of the SRD quite a lot, and I'm pretty sure that Overdeities can't grant spells and such to clerics, which sort of makes a cleric of Naxis impossible, unless, of course, someone else is granting the divine spell power.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-16, 09:09 PM
I never knew that, I had assumed overdieites, due to their power could grant spells to clerics if they wanted too but usually don't because they are beyond the affairs of mortals and even other gods. I remember reading somewhere that only a select few know the names of the overdieites so I had assumed they, being powerful could give spells but just actively chose not to because mortal affairs are trifling/not that important for beings of their scale and power. However if it's an issue I will simply just say Naxis is a greater deity rather then an overdeity but is not known to most/thought to be simply a legend because of his secretive and shadowy nature rather then possessing overdeity status.

Yora
2010-11-17, 02:59 AM
They could, if the gm decides that in his campaign world the overdeity does it. It's a purely aesthetic choice.

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-17, 03:00 AM
Actually, that just makes this based on different assumptions than the SRD. Officiality doesn't make anything better [and the SRD isn't actually meant to be official, it's meant to be the minimum amount of stuff Wizards can get away with giving out to the license so that they can still claim everything that comes from it as derivative works and plunder them at liesure...]

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-17, 08:50 AM
Yes, and even if a DM rules that overdeities can't grant spells I said several times in the OP that this class can be refluffed to fit any deity that has a portfolio which includes tyranny, commanding/controlling others and evil-ness. It can easily be refluffed to fit a campaign and I thought I made it clear that the fluff of this class is completely mailable and can be changed to fit any campaign world.(Even some "canon" deities would be fitting for this class, especially Asmodeus(though he's not a god he can still grant spells.), Tiamat and Bane.)

However, what I want to know is if my limit on the capstone(can only effect one creature at a time) is enough or not and if the "shatter the shield" feature needs some other drawback beyond giving the enemy + 10- Tyrant class level to their saves?