PDA

View Full Version : Rune Magic

NecroticPunch
2010-11-16, 06:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has yet come across a type of Magic that involves runes, as well as mixing and matching the runes to achieve different effects. Oh, and if you have, I hope it was from D&D 3.5.

MonarchAnarch
2010-11-16, 07:01 PM
There is a rune magic use in the magic of fearun book, or the faerun players handbook. It's 3.0? But hasn't been revised so it's used in 3.5.

Coidzor
2010-11-16, 07:04 PM
rune casting just substitutes a new material component instead of somatic components, IIRC.

Fax Celestis
2010-11-16, 07:05 PM
There's the runeblade class in Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=60570). It's pretty interesting.

WitchSlayer
2010-11-16, 07:44 PM
There's the Runepriest, not 3.5 though.

Psyren
2010-11-16, 07:46 PM
Runecaster is 3.5, and it is as Coidzor describes. You can also go with Geometer in CArc for a similar effect.

BRC
2010-11-16, 07:47 PM
There is a PrC in Comp Arcane based around Rune Magic, but really it's just a wizard who can carry a cliff-notes spellbook and gets to use the "Glyph" spells.

There is the Runesmith in Races of Stone, a Dwarven wizard that gets to ignore Arcane Spell Failure.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-16, 08:54 PM
Runesmith is crazy good, but it requires you to be a Dwarf. You get the ability to let other people in your party cast some spells from your list, which is pretty freaking awesome.

Psyren
2010-11-16, 09:03 PM
Runesmith is crazy good, but it requires you to be a Dwarf. You get the ability to let other people in your party cast some spells from your list, which is pretty freaking awesome.

The adaptation lets you open it to any race, but advises the DM to make it harder to enter for non-dwarves.

The spell-sharing is indeed awesome, but keep in mind it carries a +2 level cost on the spell (akin to a +2 metamagic) and you must keep the spell prepared in one of your slots until your ally uses it. (For example, to share an Alter Self spell, you would need an open 4th-level slot to store it in, and it would disappear once the ally made use of it.) You can also only have a number of shared runes = your Con modifier.

The ability is still very useful, you just have to keep that caveat in mind. The advantages though are numerous: it costs no XP or gold to make a shared runespell like this, (free "scrolls!") there is no distance limit (even planar!), no level limit aside from the +2 spell level increase, and they use your current caster level rather than being fixed like scrolls and wands are. They also have no duration - they last as long as you keep the spell prepared.

BRC
2010-11-16, 09:06 PM
The adaptation lets you open it to any race, but advises the DM to make it harder to enter for non-dwarves.

The spell-sharing is indeed awesome, but keep in mind it carries a +2 level cost on the spell (akin to a +2 metamagic) and you must keep the spell prepared in one of your slots until your ally uses it. (For example, to share an Alter Self spell, you would need an open 4th-level slot to store it in, and it would disappear once the ally made use of it.) You can also only have a number of shared runes = your Con modifier.

The ability is still very useful, you just have to keep that caveat in mind. The advantages though are numerous: it costs no XP or gold to make a shared runespell like this, (free "scrolls!") there is no distance limit (even planar!), no level limit aside from the +2 spell level increase, and they use your current caster level rather than being fixed like scrolls and wands are. They also have no duration - they last as long as you keep the spell prepared.
AND while they do that, you get to wear full plate while showing those pansy elf wizards how a REAL wizard works.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-16, 09:20 PM
Not sure I would like it being used by none dwarves, but YMMV. Geometer I would actually tack onto Runesmith because you can get Glyphs that way. I know they aren't that great, but I like Glyphing my sword sheathe so that anyone other then me drawing the blade explodes. Works well with spell books too, just use a greater glyph and then a summon spell. Anyone steals the book and opens it gets grappled by a gargantuan centipede.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-16, 09:48 PM
You can also only have a number of shared runes = your Con modifier.

Not quite true. You can prepare a number of shared runes each day equal to your Con mod. Keeping in mind that uncast spells from a previous day's preparation remain prepared, one could reasonably assume that you could keep preparing [Con mod] spells each day until your full repertoire is shared in that way. Not all that useful for a PC, granted, but for a wizard cohort...?

Chrono22
2010-11-16, 09:52 PM
The runethane from arcana evolved is a rune-based spellcaster. Thematically it's kind of like a cross between a wizard and an artificer.

hamlet
2010-11-17, 08:18 AM
The runethane from arcana evolved is a rune-based spellcaster. Thematically it's kind of like a cross between a wizard and an artificer.

Not 3.5, though. Would require a fair amount of rejigering to get it to fit on basic D&D3.5 format.

Zieu
2010-11-17, 08:52 AM
A type of Magic that involves runes, you say? I have just the thing:

I'll give you a hint. I prepared them this morning.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-17, 12:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has yet come across a type of Magic that involves runes, as well as mixing and matching the runes to achieve different effects. Oh, and if you have, I hope it was from D&D 3.5.

What do you want out of a rune magic system? While you're looking for 3e, I can think of a number of different systems called "rune magic" that have wildly different uses.

There's the "replace somatic components with pre-drawn runes."
There's the "runes as a special form of spell-containing trap."
Both of those were from FR books.

There's Ars Magica's Ultima Thule, which has a system based on the Futhark, where different runes are formed into "phrases" that have syntax and intention; Isa in one place means something different than Isa in the same place, and can either mean "last for a long time" or "cause chunks of ice to fall on someone".

Rifts Rune Magic involves making indestructible sentient magic items.

Runequest uses "rune" as more or less synonymous with "spells".

2e had two different rune systems, both of which were very limited spellcasting systems.

A lot comes from "what do you want", rather than whether or not it is called "rune magic".

The-Mage-King
2010-11-17, 12:16 PM
There's some in Dragon Compendium Vol. 1...

Crow
2010-11-17, 02:40 PM
Well here is a little d100 list I've whipped up for some rune effects. Sorry but I don't know how to make it into a nice little table. All effects stack, and last for 24 hours unless otherwise specified. A character may only cast the runes once per 24 hour period unless specified.

Now all that is needed to design 5 or 10 level prestige class around it. Higher levels would let you cast more runes at a time, or cast runes for others, or even an entire group. Maybe a higher ability would allow a re-cast once per day if the cast was terrible? Lots of possibilities. Thinking maybe a 2/3 progression casting prestige class? What would the requirements be?

01-02 Fehu Merkstave, DM may force character to re-roll once in next 24 hours, keeping the worst result.
03-04 Uruz Merkstave, -4 to STR.
05-06 Thurisaz Merkstave, -4 to AC.
07-08 Ansuz Merkstave, -4 to next will save rolled in the next 24 hours.
09-10 Raidho Merkstave, -10ft penalty to all forms of movement.
11-12 Kenaz Merkstave, -4 penalty to all knowledge, craft, and profession skills.
13-14 Gebo Merkstave, -4 penalty to CHA.
15-16 Wunjo Merkstave, -2 penalty to attacks, skills, and saves.
17-18 Hagalaz Merkstave, Character goes berzerk upon entering the next combat within the next 24 hours (as cursed sword of berzerking).
19-20 Nauthiz Merkstave, Fatigued.
21-22 Isa Merkstave, -4 penalty to WIS.
23-24 Jera Merkstave, -4 penalty to next attack, skill, or save in next 24 hours.
25-26 Eihwaz Merkstave, -4 penalty to CON.
27-28 Perthro Merkstave, -4 penalty to initiative.
29-30 Algiz Merkstave, -4 penalty to AC.
31-32 Sowilo Merkstave, DM may treat one of character's rolls in next 24 hours as a natural 1.
33-34 Tiwaz Merkstave, -4 penalty to all saves.
35-36 Berkano Merkstave, cure spells cast upon the character heal 50% fewer hitpoints.
37-38 Ehwaz Merkstave, in next combat, character may not charge or take double moves.
39-40 Mannaz Merkstave, -4 penalty to INT.
41-42 Laguz Merkstave, -4 penalty on saves vs. fear or fear effects.
43-44 Ingwaz Merkstave, -4 penalty to sense motive, spot, listen, and search.
45-46 Dagaz Merkstave, DM may impose a -10 penalty on one of the character's rolls in the next 24 hours.
47-48 Othala Merkstave, once in the next 24 hours, when one of the character's companions fails an attack, skill, or save, the DM may have the character fail their next attack, skill, or save.
49-50 Fehu, Re-roll any one roll in the next 24 hours, keep best result.
51-52 Uruz, +4 enh. bonus to STR.
53-54 Thurisaz, +4 deflection bonus to AC.
55-56 Ansuz, +4 bonus to next will save rolled in the next 24 hours.
57-58 Raidho, +10ft enh. bonus to all forms of movement.
59-60 Kenaz, +4 enh. bonus to all knowledge, craft, and profession skills.
61-62 Gebo, +4 enh. bonus to CHA.
63-64 Wunjo, +2 morale bonus to attacks, skills, and saves.
65-66 Hagalaz, Gain one use of barbarian rage ability in next 24 hours.
67-68 Nauthiz, Freedom of Movement.
69-70 Isa, +4 enh. bonus to WIS.
71-72 Jera, +4 bonus to next attack, skill, or save in the next 24 hours.
73-74 Eihwaz, +4 enh. bonus to CON.
75-76 Perthro, +4 insight bonus to intitiative.
77-78 Algiz, +4 sacred bonus to AC.
79-80 Sowilo, treat one roll in next 24 hours as a natural 20.
81-82 Tiwaz, +4 bonus to all saves.
83-84 Berkano, cure spells cast upon the character are treated as Empowered.
85-86 Ehwaz, act as under the effect of Haste for 1 round in next 24 hours.
87-88 Mannaz, +4 enh. bonus to INT.
89-90 Laguz, +4 to saves vs. disease and poison.
91-92 Ingwaz, +4 enh. bonus to sense motive, spot, listen, and search.
93-94 Dagaz, know the solution to one dilemma in the next 24 hours.
95-96 Othala, once in the next 24 hours, when a companion suceeds on an attack, skill, or save, the character automatically suceeds on their next attack, skill or save.
97-00 Re-Roll.

***Bonus points if anybody wants to put this in a nice table.

VarianArdell
2010-11-17, 02:59 PM
***Bonus points if anybody wants to put this in a nice table.

Roll|Rune|Effect
01-02|Fehu Merkstave|DM may force character to re-roll once in next 24 hours, keeping the worst result.
03-04|Uruz Merkstave|-4 to STR.
05-06|Thurisaz Merkstave|-4 to AC.
07-08|Ansuz Merkstave|-4 to next will save rolled in the next 24 hours.
09-10|Raidho Merkstave|-10ft penalty to all forms of movement.
11-12|Kenaz Merkstave|-4 penalty to all knowledge, craft, and profession skills.
13-14|Gebo Merkstave|-4 penalty to CHA.
15-16|Wunjo Merkstave|-2 penalty to attacks, skills, and saves.
17-18|Hagalaz Merkstave|Character goes berzerk upon entering the next combat within the next 24 hours (as cursed sword of berzerking).
19-20|Nauthiz Merkstave|Fatigued.
21-22|Isa Merkstave|-4 penalty to WIS.
23-24|Jera Merkstave|-4 penalty to next attack, skill, or save in next 24 hours.
25-26|Eihwaz Merkstave|-4 penalty to CON.
27-28|Perthro Merkstave|-4 penalty to initiative.
29-30|Algiz Merkstave|-4 penalty to AC.
31-32|Sowilo Merkstave|DM may treat one of character's rolls in next 24 hours as a natural 1.
33-34|Tiwaz Merkstave|-4 penalty to all saves.
35-36|Berkano Merkstave|cure spells cast upon the character heal 50% fewer hitpoints.
37-38|Ehwaz Merkstave|in next combat, character may not charge or take double moves.
39-40|Mannaz Merkstave|-4 penalty to INT.
41-42|Laguz Merkstave|-4 penalty on saves vs. fear or fear effects.
43-44|Ingwaz Merkstave|-4 penalty to sense motive, spot, listen, and search.
45-46|Dagaz Merkstave|DM may impose a -10 penalty on one of the character's rolls in the next 24 hours.
47-48|Othala Merkstave|once in the next 24 hours, when one of the character's companions fails an attack, skill, or save, the DM may have the character fail their next attack, skill, or save.
49-50|Fehu|Re-roll any one roll in the next 24 hours, keep best result.
51-52|Uruz|+4 enh. bonus to STR.
53-54|Thurisaz|+4 deflection bonus to AC.
55-56|Ansuz|+4 bonus to next will save rolled in the next 24 hours.
57-58|Raidho|+10ft enh. bonus to all forms of movement.
59-60|Kenaz|+4 enh. bonus to all knowledge, craft, and profession skills.
61-62|Gebo|+4 enh. bonus to CHA.
63-64|Wunjo|+2 morale bonus to attacks, skills, and saves.
65-66|Hagalaz|Gain one use of barbarian rage ability in next 24 hours.
67-68|Nauthiz|Freedom of Movement.
69-70|Isa|+4 enh. bonus to WIS.
71-72|Jera|+4 bonus to next attack, skill, or save in the next 24 hours.
73-74|Eihwaz|+4 enh. bonus to CON.
75-76|Perthro|+4 insight bonus to intitiative.
77-78|Algiz|+4 sacred bonus to AC.
79-80|Sowilo|treat one roll in next 24 hours as a natural 20.
81-82|Tiwaz|+4 bonus to all saves.
83-84|Berkano|cure spells cast upon the character are treated as Empowered.
85-86|Ehwaz|act as under the effect of Haste for 1 round in next 24 hours.
87-88|Mannaz|+4 enh. bonus to INT.
89-90|Laguz|+4 to saves vs. disease and poison.
91-92|Ingwaz|+4 enh. bonus to sense motive, spot, listen, and search.
93-94|Dagaz|know the solution to one dilemma in the next 24 hours.
95-96|Othala|once in the next 24 hours, when a companion suceeds on an attack, skill, or save, the character automatically suceeds on their next attack, skill or save.
97-00|--|Re-Roll.
There's your "nice table."
Also, thought I'd throw this in: Runecaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166947)

BladeofOblivion
2010-11-17, 04:35 PM
*Spider Sense Tingles*

Hey, someone noticed my work! It's WIP, but mostly usable.

NecroticPunch
2010-11-17, 06:07 PM
What do you want out of a rune magic system? While you're looking for 3e, I can think of a number of different systems called "rune magic" that have wildly different uses.

There's the "replace somatic components with pre-drawn runes."
There's the "runes as a special form of spell-containing trap."
Both of those were from FR books.

There's Ars Magica's Ultima Thule, which has a system based on the Futhark, where different runes are formed into "phrases" that have syntax and intention; Isa in one place means something different than Isa in the same place, and can either mean "last for a long time" or "cause chunks of ice to fall on someone".

Rifts Rune Magic involves making indestructible sentient magic items.

Runequest uses "rune" as more or less synonymous with "spells".

2e had two different rune systems, both of which were very limited spellcasting systems.

A lot comes from "what do you want", rather than whether or not it is called "rune magic".

The bolded one is the one that I was looking for. Please, for all the gods that may be, tell me that Ars Magica is D&D 3.5. If it's not, I will find you, and Eat your heart and crap out your soul!
:smallwink:

Psyren
2010-11-17, 06:17 PM
The bolded one is the one that I was looking for. Please, for all the gods that may be, tell me that Ars Magica is D&D 3.5. If it's not, I will find you, and Eat your heart and crap out your soul!

You can just fluff regular magic that way. No one knows the exact verbal components of a spell. What's to stop Ice Storm and Dimension Door from having the same magic words, only spoken in a different order or with different emphasis on certain syllables, save your own imagination?

NecroticPunch
2010-11-17, 06:26 PM
You can just fluff regular magic that way. No one knows the exact verbal components of a spell. What's to stop Ice Storm and Dimension Door from having the same magic words, only spoken in a different order or with different emphasis on certain syllables, save your own imagination?

No, I want a system of magic that is more versatile, where I can say, ok I want blank and blank, which will combine to make blank.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-17, 06:29 PM

Not the least bit 3.5. In fact, Ultima Thule was released for the now-defunct 4th edition of the game, as opposed to the current 5th edition. It is, however, available for purchase (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG0261.php), and I think I have a spare copy of it at home that you can PM me about buying.

Psyren
2010-11-17, 07:01 PM
No, I want a system of magic that is more versatile, where I can say, ok I want blank and blank, which will combine to make blank.

Your only recourse is homebrew, 3rd-party or some liberal fluffing of Incarnum/Binding (the only two D&D systems that support "building-block-style" magic, IIRC.)

Tvtyrant
2010-11-17, 08:03 PM
You could always make a homebrew class that gets a ton of low level spells and then lets you cast a ton of them per turn.

Such as:
1 level 1 spell a turn at level 1 :P
2 level 1 spells a turn at level 3
3 level 1 spells a turn at level 5
4 level 1 spells a turn at level 7
Up to 9 level 1 spells a turn at level 17; you would only know up to level 3 spells, but you could recombine them at will, with a level 3 spell taking up 3 level 1 turn slots. Then you would have about 50 total slots, or 5 rounds of max casting at level 20.

So essentially you would be a full caster like a wizard with an ungodly number of low level spells, and you can nova them as you like because they don't have the power/utility of higher level spells (no teleport).

Tyrrell
2010-11-26, 04:38 PM
Not the least bit 3.5. In fact, Ultima Thule was released for the now-defunct 4th edition of the game, as opposed to the current 5th edition. It is, however, available for purchase (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG0261.php), and I think I have a spare copy of it at home that you can PM me about buying.

Rune magic was redone in Hedge magic revised edition (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG0289.php) for fifth edition ars magica and the book is still in print.

But Ars Magica and D&D are very different games.

lightningcat
2010-11-26, 06:40 PM
Artificers could easily be refluffed as runecasters. Instead of infusions you have runes. You wouldn't even need to worry about changing any of the components or casting times.

Cadian 9th
2010-11-26, 06:55 PM
There's Craft Rune Circle from Races of Stone, requiring caster level 5th: it has rules for making wondrous items/other items into rune circles. Sure, it takes longer to make, but its generally 1/2 the price and permanent.

Are we talking using Runes or like drawing pentagrams?

Ditto on NecroticPunch :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2010-11-26, 07:04 PM
As far as I can see the closest thing to what the OP wants is Truenaming...which unfortunately sucks. But if Truenaming worked it would work like the OP's description. As is it does a little: reversible utterances for example add that attitude.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-27, 11:14 AM
Rune magic was redone in Hedge magic revised edition (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG0289.php) for fifth edition ars magica and the book is still in print.

But Ars Magica and D&D are very different games.

Ah, did not know that! I more or less lost track of Ars Magica during that time period when I had a wife and less free cash.

Tyrrell
2010-11-28, 08:09 AM
Ah, did not know that! I more or less lost track of Ars Magica during that time period when I had a wife and less free cash.

In my opinion the material put out for fifth edition is by far the best run of material in the games history, certainly there were good books previously, but nearly everything for fifth has stood with or exceeded the very best put out previously. You have my sympathy for missing out, and for, apparently, the loss of your wife.

Amphetryon
2010-11-28, 11:59 AM
Largely unimpressive, mixing settings, and dependent on DM fiat (since Warforged do not technically qualify for Stoneblessed), this build has MORE RUNES THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR!!!:

Warforged Barbarian 1/Beguiler 1/Stoneblessed (Dwarf) 3/Beguiler +1/Crusader 1/Runesmith 5/Spellcarved Soldier 5/Runescarred Berzerker 3.

Wizard saves you a feat but leaves you strapped for skill points.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-29, 03:50 PM
In my opinion the material put out for fifth edition is by far the best run of material in the games history, certainly there were good books previously, but nearly everything for fifth has stood with or exceeded the very best put out previously. You have my sympathy for missing out, and for, apparently, the loss of your wife.

She's not lost. She's alive and well in San Antonio. She's just no longer my wife. :smallbiggrin:

I've picked up a couple of the books, and I really like how David Chart has handled the line. It's nice to see a medievalist (who became a medievalist because he was into Ars Magica) running that particular line... given the sort of history geekery it's attracted, it needed one.

Quietus
2010-11-29, 03:59 PM
She's not lost. She's alive and well in San Antonio. She's just no longer my wife. :smallbiggrin:

Hah. You too, huh? :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2010-11-29, 07:32 PM
I was thinking about Rune Smith; if you used ShadowCaster 3/Wizard 1/Noctumancer 10/Runesmith 1/MT 5 and had the Mysteries based in Initiate rather then Master you can have a double full caster that casts in Platemail. It wouldn't be the strongest class on the block, but it would be quite interesting. Adamant plate + double full casting =happiness.

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-29, 07:55 PM
What you want is a Noun Verb based magic system, where you do things like

"Create Fire" to make some fire, or "Destroy Water" to get rid of some water, or "Change Life" to do transmutation sorts of things, and stuff like that.

Go get the last few editions of Ars Magica, which is NOT a D20 system, to do that. Also, RPG's based off of that Noun/Verb magic system sort of thing work well -- one of my favorites is the World Tree. I believe GURPS Magic has a Noun/Verb, and maybe some of the Mage games tinkered with this, but not in near as much detail as Gurps magic, Ars Magica, or World Tree.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-29, 08:05 PM
I will say that converting Ars Magica's VerbNoun system to d20 is relatively easy. Noun + Verb + Int + d20 = level of the spell. If you equal or exceed the level, fine. Fail by 10, you take some non-lethal damage, but still cast it (equal to intended level of spell, I'd say). Fail by more than 10, completely fail, and take some non-lethal damage.

Note that spell levels in Ars Magica are much higher than in D&D... the traditional fireball-type spell, Ball of Abyssmal Flame, is level 35, IIRC. You can make it work... at 1st level, you'd be able to sling it on a 13 or higher (assuming 4 Verb, 4 Noun, and 4 Int, you'd be able to cast the fireball... and take 35 points of non-lethal damage).

flabort
2010-11-30, 12:27 AM
I've never heard of Ars Magica, but it sounds like words and phrases can be swapped around easily to create fun new spells.

"Ball of abysmal flame"?
I'm making several assumptions, like that the system has certain words, and that "abysmal" and "flame" are seperated (as adjectives), but what would happen if you swapped:
"Abysmal" for "radiant", or "torrential"
"Flame" for "ice" or "Electricity"
"ball" for "beam" or "aura"

JFF, give me a mechanical summary of each of the 27 possible combinations of the above, if they would work at all. :smallamused:

LibraryOgre
2010-11-30, 12:33 AM
I've never heard of Ars Magica, but it sounds like words and phrases can be swapped around easily to create fun new spells.

"Ball of abysmal flame"?
I'm making several assumptions, like that the system has certain words, and that "abysmal" and "flame" are seperated (as adjectives), but what would happen if you swapped:
"Abysmal" for "radiant", or "torrential"
"Flame" for "ice" or "Electricity"
"ball" for "beam" or "aura"

JFF, give me a mechanical summary of each of the 27 possible combinations of the above, if they would work at all. :smallamused:

I'll carry some of this over to another thread; no reason to keep cluttering this one.

Scorpions__
2010-11-30, 12:44 AM
As The-Mage-King mentioned, there's quite a bit of rune-magic in Dragon Compendium Volume 1-and-only. You need to take a feat or two to use them most effectively, but you can get a couple to spice up your magical repertoire and there are quite a few runes to pick from.

The Illumian race from Races of Destiny may also be for you, what with the floating sigils they have above their heads.

DM[F]R

Marillion
2010-11-30, 01:43 AM
The game 7th Sea has Laerdom, a Rune-based magic system open to the Vesten (Vikings) and, to a much smaller extent, the Vendel (essentially the Dutch). The Vesten culture very strongly emphasizes immortality through your name being remembered through tales of your deeds, and by Invoking their names aloud, you can tap into the power of one of the 24 legendary warriors from their greatest story. It is a very subtle form of magic; there is only one rune that inflicts direct damage with lightning bolts, Villskap (Fury). Other than Villskap, runes are separated into two rough groups. Some deal with the dice you roll, such as Styrke (Strength, adds one dice to damage rolls) or Kyndighet (Skill, reroll one die per combat round), essentially buffing/debuffing the caster and occasionally his companions or enemies. The others create weather effects, such as Lidenskap (Passion, raise the air temperature to unbearable heights) or Stans (Calm, turning thunderstorms into drizzles, blizzards into minor snowfalls, and gale-force winds into a pleasant breeze).

Though Runes cannot by RAW be combined with each other to produce different effects, you can inscribe these Runes onto items and, upon becoming a master, choose one Rune that you embody to Become that Rune. This grants you greater powers over that Rune, and the ability to use that Rune at will.

In a DnD like setting, it's not that great, but in a lower-magic setting such as 7th Sea, it's quite nifty, and I love the flavor.