PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Optimizing a Scout archer.

Warlawk
2010-11-16, 09:48 PM
In our current game, my wife is playing an elven scout that is archery based. I am looking for a few suggestions on how to help her optimize her character a little to milk the most effectiveness out of it.

We have just hit 3rd level and she has not yet chosen a feat, or picked out a PrC to advance toward. Her 1st level feat was kind of just made up on the spot. She asked if there was any feat or something to let her use dex for the damage bonus on her bow attacks, DM thought he might have remembered reading one somewhere and was fine letting her spend a feat for that.

Also any recommendations on key items to look out for would great. The group has a big collection of books, so almost anything goes as long as it isn't abusive.

EDIT: Typing while I am back and forth from the kitchen whipping up dinner. Looking mostly to maximize bow damage output while still being able to take advantage of the scout Skirmish ability that requires movement.

Shade Kerrin
2010-11-16, 10:21 PM
They'll probably say it before me, but the feat Swift Hunter(CScoundrel) combines the best of Ranger and Scout, and is generally considered a viable alternative to prestige classes.

Secondly, ways of getting at least 10ft movement as a swift action will let you use Skirmish in a full attack. The cheapest method would be via anklets of translocation, (1.4k as I remember it) which covers you twice a day

EDIT:I knows these aren't much help at level 3, but it is something that could be worth aiming for.

gorfnab
2010-11-16, 11:56 PM
Swift Hunter Handbook
(http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0)
Okay there are two ways that I know of for archers to get dex to damage easily, the feat Dead Eye (Dragon Magazine #304 and Dragon Compendium Volume 1, but use the wording from Dragon #304 since BAB +1 for prereq is a lot better than BAB +14!) and the Vital Aim ACF from the Targeteer Variant fighter (Dragon Magazine #310).

Darrin
2010-11-17, 12:16 AM
Swift Hunter Handbook
(http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0)
Okay there are two ways that I know of for archers to get dex to damage easily, the feat Dead Eye (Dragon Magazine #304 and Dragon Compendium Volume 1, but use the wording from Dragon #304 since BAB +1 for prereq is a lot better than BAB +14!) and the Vital Aim ACF from the Targeteer Variant fighter (Dragon Magazine #310).

They did issue errata (http://paizo.com/download/dragon/compendium/DragonCompendiumVolumeIErrata.pdf) for the Dragon Compendium, and yes, it should be BAB +1

The Crossbow Sniper feat (PHBII) adds 1/2 Dex bonus to damage (no range limit) and increases the range you can get skirmish damage to 60'. If you don't want to use a crossbow, you might be able to use another ranged weapon with the Aptitude enhancement (Tome of Battle) to take advantage of Crossbow Sniper, but rules-wise it's a bit dodgy.

Optimator
2010-11-17, 02:11 AM
Well, if you already get Dex to damage at level 1, run with it--you're quite well off already!

Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot are pretty much vital.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 02:29 AM
There's really only one class that advances skirmish other than going swift hunter/ambusher route, AFAIK, and that's Uncanny Trickster from Complete Scoundrel, which is a 3 level class that gives you 2 levels of advancement of another class's class features.

Splitting is a weapon property that you really want to have, as it doubles your damage per arrow. Hank's Energy Bow is one of the better bows out there as well, as it allows a variant of power attack without a feat.

dobu
2010-11-17, 03:37 AM
Unseen Seer would progress it as well, but is more magical...

Warlawk
2010-11-17, 04:45 AM
Thanks all! The swift hunter handbook above led to the Scouts Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872250/The_Scouts_Handbook) which pretty well covers what I need to look into.

Swift hunter looks pretty cool, but she has played a lot of rangers over the years and was looking for a little different character setup. She's the party trapspringer and skillmonkey, which has a little different feel than her usual two weapon ranger bit.

Master_Rahl22
2010-11-17, 09:22 AM
She'll eventually want Greater Manyshot from the SRD. It would be worthwhile to check out Person_Man's Ways to Get Pounce or Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) thread for activating Skirmish. My favorites from that list are Travel Devotion, Anklet of Translocation that was already mentioned, and Sudden Leap, a level 1 maneuver from Tome of Battle.

Ruinix
2010-11-17, 11:45 AM
i have to say, travel devotion, even if she don't take any clase that grant TU attemp for refuel the feat, cause the feat alone will give her 1 extra move action for 10 rounds wich is far more than what have to last your combats.

Fouredged Sword
2010-11-17, 12:43 PM
There is a feat that does something like swift hunter in complete scoundrel that stacks thief and rogue. You get skermish and sneak attack at the same time. It is a good way to throw around a lot of d6's at range.

Eldariel
2010-11-17, 12:46 PM
Thanks all! The swift hunter handbook above led to the Scouts Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872250/The_Scouts_Handbook) which pretty well covers what I need to look into.

Swift hunter looks pretty cool, but she has played a lot of rangers over the years and was looking for a little different character setup. She's the party trapspringer and skillmonkey, which has a little different feel than her usual two weapon ranger bit.

You should go for a base-Scout Swift Hunter then. Ranger 4/Scout 16 is a perfectly respectable Swift Hunter build and definitely a Scout rather than a Ranger. More Scout would cost the 16th point of BAB but even Ranger 2/Scout 18 is doable.

FMArthur
2010-11-17, 01:13 PM
There's really only one class that advances skirmish other than going swift hunter/ambusher route, AFAIK, and that's Uncanny Trickster from Complete Scoundrel, which is a 3 level class that gives you 2 levels of advancement of another class's class features.

Splitting is a weapon property that you really want to have, as it doubles your damage per arrow. Hank's Energy Bow is one of the better bows out there as well, as it allows a variant of power attack without a feat.

Highland Stalker (CAdv) advances Skirmish at the same rate as the Scout and starts this at its second level, meaning you can get +1d6 Skirmish for a 2 level investment and you qualify for it with some easy skill requirements and the Track feat, which Ranger levels give you. It has full BAB, too. Otherwise it is mostly redundant to someone who is already going Scout/Ranger, so I wouldn't recommend more than the first two levels.