PDA

View Full Version : hoping this is the right forum

big teej
2010-11-16, 10:46 PM
greetigns playgrounders, my group is about to start a new campaign (one of my players wants to try his hand at DMing and we're going to rotate his in every 4th session or so)

another player wishes to play a homebrew class, the alchemist,

for the record, I did not homebrew this, it is found on the dndwiki and I take ZERO credit for it...

on to my point, I wish to know if there is anything inherently broken with the class

(not neccessarily abusable, more out and out broken)

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Alchemist_(3.5e_Class)

thanks in advance

Steamsaint
2010-11-16, 10:57 PM
Firstly, the link is broken (you need to put the last bracket inside the link tag, otherwise it won't work).

Secondly, that fermentation ability seems really weird - you could theoretically turn like, a hamburger into alcohol within five minutes.

Just sayin.

I don't see anything else overpowered, but I'm sure there's plenty of people out there far better at this kind of thing than me.

AstralFire
2010-11-16, 11:00 PM
The class is very much broken, that is to say, it does not work.

It's very weak, poorly written, the fluff at some points is outright random (non-chaotic? Really? What?), the capstone is underwhelming, some elements of the class are just plain self-contradictory or non-functional...

So. By normal standards, this class rates a 2.5/10. By D&D Wiki standards, it's a solid 6/10.

big teej
2010-11-16, 11:07 PM
The class is very much broken, that is to say, it does not work.

It's very weak, poorly written, the fluff at some points is outright random (non-chaotic? Really? What?), the capstone is underwhelming, some elements of the class are just plain self-contradictory or non-functional...

So. By normal standards, this class rates a 2.5/10. By D&D Wiki standards, it's a solid 6/10.

ouchness. :smalltongue:

glad I didn't write this

Steamsaint
2010-11-16, 11:21 PM
I must say that that was kind of my first impression...

I do kind of understand the non-chaotic thing as you need disciple not to explode yourself when mixing chemicals etc. but in that case why can a wizard be chaotic if they have equal if not greater chance of doing nasty things to themselves and other people.

But then, you see the 'potions per day' table and you think 'wait, I get bored of making potions after a certain amount? What if I'm being eaten by a grue and think Oh, if only I could have been bothered making that one extra alchemist's fire. If I was higher level I wouldn't have gotten so bored.'

So yeah. It's underpowered and the flavour is really, really weird. I'd suggest to your player to find something else with similar flavour.

big teej
2010-11-16, 11:35 PM
I told the group I'd summarize the playgrounds findings, I also gave them the link in case they wanted to follow it on their own.

Nanoblack
2010-11-16, 11:40 PM
If he want to play something like that, point him over to the pathfinder alchemist base class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) and that should keep him satisfied while making sure he can do something useful.

Arbane
2010-11-17, 02:17 AM
Do Artificers make potions?

fireinakasha
2010-11-17, 02:38 AM
Do Artificers make potions?

Master alchemists do, from Magic of Eberron. Artificer PrC, IIRC

Edit: Sorry, Alchemist Savant*

Greenish
2010-11-17, 10:50 AM
Do Artificers make potions?Yes, if they want to. They get Brew Potion as a bonus feat on 2nd level.

CodeRed
2010-11-17, 11:44 AM
If he want to play something like that, point him over to the pathfinder alchemist base class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) and that should keep him satisfied while making sure he can do something useful.

I would second this. The alchemist in Pathfinder is both fun and pretty well balanced around T2-T3 IMO, your ranking may be higher or lower.