PDA

View Full Version : Ashworm Dragoon and Lances [3.5]

Volos
2010-11-17, 01:37 AM
I am playing an Ashworm Dragoon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=254369) with a Ashworm mount (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=254414).

As you can see I'll be doing 1d8+10 +1d6 cold (times four on a charge), but I'm worried that I may not be doing well enough. I know that mounted builds can be a bit iffy, so I want to make sure I've done well enough to be an useful melee member of the party. I would like to be as good as the average fighter or just a bit better due to my PRC. My average damage per round is about 68 without power attack and 92 with a -3 Power attack. (-3, as I get a total of +3 from being mounted and charging). My mount does about 14 when charging or 28 on a full attack. But when it charges, I have a good chance to knock my foes to the ground. At that point I would probably take a -7 to power attack for 124 damage and my mount would take a -6 to power attack for 26 damage. Ontop of all this, it has poison DC 20 for 2d6 Str and 2d6 Str.

Am I falling behind or am I over the top?

dgnslyr
2010-11-17, 02:10 AM
You know what makes all charging builds better? Pounce and Shock Trooper. While the latter may be difficult if you're feat starved, the former is easy if you use the Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian (variant? ACF? can't remember which...). It trades Fast Movement, which isn't all that great when you're mounted, with Pounce, which is made of win.

I don't see any glaring flaws with your build, though, and I can't say if it's too much or too little unless I know the relative optimization of your group. However, Weapon Specialization? Weapon Focus? Unless they're prereqs, which Weapon Specialization might be, you're generally better off without them. Which means more feats for SHOOOCK TROOOPER.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 02:16 AM
Hard to say without knowing your groups' baseline.

Offhand, I'd recommend investing weapon focus and weapon specialization differently, maybe even the improved heat endurance, depending upon how much of a benefit that last one actually gives you.

Consider Extra Rage, Intimidating Rage, improved bullrush+shock trooper, and Imperious command.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-17, 02:26 AM
Nix weapon focus and weapon specialization if you can. They actually do have a time and a place, but you aren't a spellwarp sniper/arcane trickster, so its not your time and place.

Instead I would suggest switching out barb for something that grants pounce, and maybe getting trample. Then you can bullrush without any chance of missing.

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 02:33 AM
Instead I would suggest switching out barb for something that grants pounce, and maybe getting trample. Then you can bullrush without any chance of missing.

Barbarian 1 does/can give pounce though. Complete Champion.

So, he could, if Unearthed Arcana's allowed, go with a Whirling Frenzy rageACF'd, Spirit Lion Totem'd, Wolf Totem barbarian to get whirling frenzy which grants an extra attack, pounce, and improved trip at Barb 2 without prereqs or needing to have the base stats, opening up additional combat options.

Greenish
2010-11-17, 08:59 AM
Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian (variant? ACF? can't remember which...)UA totem barbarians are variant classes, CChamp Spiritual Totems are ACFs.

Volos
2010-11-17, 12:23 PM
Pounce actually workes with mounted combat? That would be fairly interesting. I was sorely tempted to take two-weapon fighting along with oversized two weapon fighting to dual wield lances. Then there was a feat that let me attack with both weapons as a standard action.

Greenish
2010-11-17, 12:27 PM
Pounce actually workes with mounted combat?Maybe. Mounted Combat rules say you don't get full attack if your mount moves more than 5' during your turn, Pounce says you get full attack whenever you charge. No one knows how mounted combat works. :smallamused:

I was sorely tempted to take two-weapon fighting along with oversized two weapon fighting to dual wield lances.Just because you can doesn't mean you should. It's not as good as two-handing, and quite silly, but if that sounds good to you, go for it. :smallwink:

Fouredged Sword
2010-11-17, 12:33 PM
Talk to your DM about wild cohort as your sandworm. Those things aren't that tough and need more HD as you get into higher levels. Wild Cohort fixes this, even if you take a penelty to your level as far as the bonuses are concerned.

Volos
2010-11-17, 12:46 PM
Maybe. Mounted Combat rules say you don't get full attack if your mount moves more than 5' during your turn, Pounce says you get full attack whenever you charge. No one knows how mounted combat works. :smallamused:
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. It's not as good as two-handing, and quite silly, but if that sounds good to you, go for it. :smallwink:

Well with my current build for my Ashworm it is knocking foes down while we charge (+14 to Trample). Giving me a +4 Bonus to Hit from them being prone, +2 for charging, +2 for raging, and +1 for attacking from a higher ground (mounted). Taking a -2 to hit for an extra attack seems rather nice. Especially when each is at x4 damage.

Person_Man
2010-11-17, 01:23 PM
Do not take a Barbarian dip. Ashworm Dragoon gets Pounce as part of it's normal prestige class progression. And yes, it explicitly works while mounted.

Anywho, here's the Power Attack Optimization (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7165087) thread. As long as you have a lance that you are using two handed + Spirited Charge + Power Attack + Pounce, you'll be fine in the damage dealing department. (Although you should remember that bonus dice of damage are never multiplied, so the extra 1d6 from Frost is mostly a waste. You should spend that enhancement on something better).

Also, remember that the biggest advantage that you have is Ride by Attack + Pounce + Burrow. Charge up to your target, make a Full Attack, and then move underground and then past your target so that you can't be targeted.