PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Oracle Necromancer viable?

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-17, 09:32 AM
While I am experienced with 3.5e, I am rather new to pathfinder. However, wizards are still inferior to clerics in the necromancy department, even with rebuke undead. However, there is another class that I feel may make a good necromancer that uses a casting stat I like better then Wis RP wise(RP wise I prefer int or cha as my casting stat.)...the Oracle. While all I have is the final playtest that is enough for me since it includes the Bone Mystery which I feel, combined with the right cleric spells, can make an Oracle a solid necromancer. Is it as good as a cleric? I don't know. They don't get the free healing from channel negative energy that clerics get but they get everything else, including desecrate and rebuke(from a revelation).

Thus, my question is thus: Is the Oracle a viable Necromancer? If so, is it on par with a cleric or still not as good a necromancer as the cleric, but still above the wizard in terms of being an "undead reanimator?"

Starbuck_II
2010-11-17, 09:42 AM
While I am experienced with 3.5e, I am rather new to pathfinder. However, wizards are still inferior to clerics in the necromancy department, even with rebuke undead. However, there is another class that I feel may make a good necromancer that uses a casting stat I like better then Wis RP wise(RP wise I prefer int or cha as my casting stat.)...the Oracle. While all I have is the final playtest that is enough for me since it includes the Bone Mystery which I feel, combined with the right cleric spells, can make an Oracle a solid necromancer. Is it as good as a cleric? I don't know. They don't get the free healing from channel negative energy that clerics get but they get everything else, including desecrate and rebuke(from a revelation).

Thus, my question is thus: Is the Oracle a viable Necromancer? If so, is it on par with a cleric or still not as good a necromancer as the cleric, but still above the wizard in terms of being an "undead reanimator?"

No worries, the Oracle is free Online in a SRD.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle

Bone Mastery gives a Negative energy touch attack.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-17, 10:54 AM
Indeed. However, dose that aid in making the class on par with a cleric as far as being a necromancer goes?

hiryuu
2010-11-17, 01:20 PM
Indeed. However, dose that aid in making the class on par with a cleric as far as being a necromancer goes?

As far as I understand, Clerics are good necromancers because they get the good necromancy spells earlier. Adding Bone mysteries just sweetens the pot.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-17, 01:30 PM
Yeah. oracles are one level slower the a cleric getting animate dead and such, but that's because they are a spontaneous caster and use a sorc-like progression, so it's understandable. Also, the Bones mystery automatically gives them animate dead as a known spell at level 6 meaning I can use my spells known on other things and since they use the cleric list they can obtain the all important desecrate spell.(One of the MAIN reasons clerics laugh at wizards who specialize in necromancy.) Oh, and they also get inflict spells to their spells known for free.(Or cure spells, but being a necromancer your going to chose inflicts.)

Also, some of the other revelations are great. One of them can grab you Command Undead for free which is good for you because you will usually be better at it then a cleric(Cha is the Oracle's casting stat after all.) while a few others look especially nice(Negative level ray + health drain just fills my heart with joy and the negative energy touch attack is free healing for your undead and you if the right revelation is chosen. The summon looks pretty nice too.) Also the extra revelation feat can be used to grab some of the ones I miss out on.