PDA

View Full Version : How do I play a Silly/Funny Baby Black Dragon?

TurtleKing
2010-11-17, 11:24 AM
I am now going to be playing a hatchling-wyrmling black dragon using the Dragon Magazine #332. Since I am so young how might I pull off him being silly/ funny. I already know he will be a bit impressionable because of his age. The reason for wanting to play a silly/ funny character is for the player's health. I have played serious characters too much over the past year, and it has affected me by leaking into my own personality. This also doesn't help my Depression and Asperger's. So I am needing a character that is light hearted to counterbalance the leak from my past characters.

Also what arcane class should I go into. The party just lost their last arcanist due to a Giant Crocodile eating me. I don't tend to play classes several times without some time inbetween except for the Bard. Current classes no longer playable are Beguiler and Dragon Shaman.

dsmiles
2010-11-17, 12:23 PM
Watch Bambi. Strive to emulate his younger years (pre-mother's death). Play on the frozen pond, sneeze acid on the flowers, things like that. Remember what it's like to be a child full of wonder at the world, and just have fun.

Also, I'd recommend Sorcerer, since dragons cast as sorcerers when they gain spells later in life.

mucat
2010-11-17, 01:31 PM
I assume the other party members are sort of "foster parents" to your dragon? If so, what is their alignment and general disposition; that will have a significant effect on the dragon's developing personality.

One possibility is to make him very happy and innocent, filled with curiosity and enthusiasm for all the new things he's finding in the world...and then drop a reminder once or twice a session that he's capable of an appalling level of casual, instinctive evil. If the party is good-aligned, they'll have to explained to their puzzled charge why he can eat chickens but he can't eat gnomes ("But they both taste good!") For that matter, he can't eat someone else's chickens, and if he does, he can't maul the old farmer who said mean things and shook a pitchfork at him.

Doesn't mean he'll end up evil, just that he's instinctively very capable of going that way, and needs a lot of reminders from his foster family.

If the party is evil-aligned, they might think their new dragon is a bit of a wimp, since he's usually so chirpy and cheerful. Until he casually commits acts that make even this hardened band of mercenaries queasy...

Either way, that does give the character a serious side, but one with room for a lot of improvised (and possibly dark) humor along the way.

As for class...dragons are natural sorcerers, of course, so that's always a possibility. Their long lives, obsessive hoarding instincts (which can apply to knowledge as well as shiny things), and (eventually) keen intellects also make them perfect for the role of archivist or wizard, though at the young age you're starting out at, your dragon would have to be exceptionally intelligent for his age and species to pull off those roles.

TurtleKing
2010-11-17, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the advice and pointing out that I should have said how the party met and the setting.

We are playing in a pirate setting. The party are mostly chaotic, and ranging from neutral to evil with a progression to being evil. For instance if any if you have read another thread on the playground started by Silus his Tiefling is in the party.

The way we met is by them killing my older brother. We even had to retcon a few things since the DM had me playing NPCs till my next character showed up being the younger black Dragon of the two. The party was fooled by my performance thinking I was playing another NPC instead of my next character.

Thanks for mentioning the Sorceror. Are their any other arcane classes that could be fun to play.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-17, 02:13 PM
Have the dragon be confused and think it's some sort of chicken.

nedz
2010-11-17, 02:59 PM
Warlock might work for you, but Sorceror is probably better.

gbprime
2010-11-17, 03:04 PM
Perhaps your dragon is too young to be out on it's own and has separation anxiety? It could be clingy to the other PCs. Or it could have a nervous habit, like chewing on a pacifier... or in this case the dwarf's helmet.

TurtleKing
2010-11-17, 05:08 PM
Warlock sounds interesting since it fits thematically with the rest of the group. Especially the tiefling with her Grandfather Bel has my source? I was wondering if Shadowcaster could work, and I know its not the greatest. However would use it more has I am more attuned with the dark/ shadows.

I am thinking of a watery shadowy feel to my class. I was also thinking of possibly pulling pranks and puns on my victims audience. In this regard some aspects of Shadowcaster could lend itself well, or could I achieve more with Sorceror or a variant their of.

Is there a dragon base class meant for dragons, and any prestige classes that are shadowy (stealthy) watery arcane focused?

nedz
2010-11-17, 07:09 PM
I am thinking of a watery shadowy feel to my class. I was also thinking of possibly pulling pranks and puns on my victims audience. In this regard some aspects of Shadowcaster could lend itself well, or could I achieve more with Sorceror or a variant their of.

Beguiler or possibly Wu Jen (Though I gather the water version is quite poor) might work for you, but I still think Sorceror is better.:smallsmile:

Is there a dragon base class meant for dragons, ... ?
Dragon RHD, Sorceror :smallsmile:

..., and any prestige classes that are shadowy (stealthy) watery arcane focused?
Shadow Adept, Shadowcrafter are possible options.

Psyren
2010-11-17, 07:27 PM
1) Watch Dreamworks' How To Train Your Dragon
2) Do that 3) ??? 4) Profit

Marnath
2010-11-17, 08:48 PM
If you're going to be on a pirate ship with your team, you should get to playing with the rigging and be tangled hopelessly in a knot of ropes when they come on deck in the morning at least once. Because thats what playful animals seem to do when they have access to rope. :smallannoyed: The fact that you'll be intelligent doesn't have any impact on that, since toddlers do the same sort of things.

See if you can get some sort of wooden doll/teddy bear to curl up with at night/gnaw on when bored.

BridgeCity
2010-11-17, 10:18 PM
Have the dragon be confused and think it's some sort of chicken.

Find a digger/power-shovel, and believe the digger/power-shovel is your mother. That book is awesome.

Thrawn183
2010-11-17, 11:17 PM
Or a wagon, have it drag the thing everywhere.

The key is to be just silly enough that nothing the character does gets truly annoying.

TurtleKing
2010-11-17, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. Basically since I am so young I will be developing his personality over the course of the campaign.

As for the class I won't be taking it my next level, but should be going into it soon. Also the DM has spoilered that we could fight undead often so how might I might be effective against them at my power level? Which arcane class could do fairly well against them? Is basically melting them down my only effective way?

Also is Dragonfire Adept too powerful since I am a dragon? With that my own breath weapon falls quickly by the way side for at least a couple of age catergories.

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-18, 12:08 AM
Really, the most powerful class for a dragon that will be getting sorcerer spellcasting from age categories is -- guess what -- sorcerer!

Unless you change that sorcerer casting to Wizard with that stuff from Dragon Magazine, in which case the most powerful class is Wizard.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-18, 12:12 AM
If you can cast spells right now a prestige class might be useful, my preference would be somesort of gish since Dragon HD are greared to that. Abjurant champions is the best option you can have.

Me, I have been tempted to play a Steel Dragon Wyrmling/Abjurant Champion.... hmm now that I think so I might try to stat it up... to the manuals!!!

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-18, 12:31 AM
Personally, I would be either a Steel Dragon or a Tome Dragon, if I were playing a dragon. They are some of the best spellcasters! Get the good spells early!

TurtleKing
2010-11-18, 12:51 AM
Yet I am a baby Black Dragon. Has it come across I don't like playing the core classes except Bard? Guess I should ask what varient of Sorceror would be fun to play?

Danin
2010-11-18, 01:57 AM
Dragonfire adept from Dragon magic could be fun and could represent power cast into you from your dying brother. You have an extra spark of draconic power in you because of this, allowing you to do some things much older dragons marvel at. Not the best idea mechanically, but could be fun.

Sorcerer is powerful but if you don't like em that much, don't play one.

Shadow casters aren't super fun until high levels. They fit thematically, but lack of uses per day is frustrating.

Take the Find Familiar feat. Get a friend. Play with it when you have free time and protect it fiercely if anything threatens it. I'm thinking an orange and white tabby cat that serves as a mouser on the pirate ship.

Amiel
2010-11-18, 01:59 AM
If you mean silly and funny, you could obtain a magic item that allows you to resist fire damage. Set yourself on fire, then crash fly into objects.

TurtleKing
2010-11-18, 02:14 AM
Part of the reason I don't like many of the core classes is tha lack of options inherent in the classes. This also combined with my general dislike of martial classes. I like versatilty being bard the best choice from core, but am always trying to experiment with something new each time I make a new character. Considering this Warlock and Dragonfire Adept right now look appealing along with Bard. One way I do now play core classes is by playing a varient of the class.

What Sorceror varient is fun to play with interesting class abilities? Considering I have the racial progression for Black Dragons from Dragon Magazine #332 my character is not all that weak. The arcane class is to supplement what I get from being a dragon than my actual focus.

Runestar
2010-11-18, 03:04 AM
The black dragon doesn't strike me as particularly useful, as it doesn't seem like it can do much to contribute to the party.

The metallic dragons at least get a secondary breath weapon which can disable foes. The gold and red dragons make decent fighters. What does a black dragon have up its sleeve?

TurtleKing
2010-11-18, 03:17 AM
We are playing in a pirate setting. So the black dragon is more powerful because of the stealth capabilities it has, and have a strong affinity to the water. Being a tiny fast moving shadow who can out manuevar almost anyone else is better than some of the others. This also lends well to playing pranks on others which is part of the silly/funny part I want.

While our Dwarf Rogue can sneak attack almost anything he is still not able to effectively sneak attack like I can. All I have to do is swim over and breath acid onto the boat to sink it with no-one the wiser.

FelixG
2010-11-18, 05:43 AM
what is the source of the steel dragon?

hamishspence
2010-11-18, 07:24 AM
There are several. WOTC has a free online set of rules for the Steel Dragon, so did an issue of Dragon Magazine.

Dragons of Faerun has the most recent version- which is I think slightly less overpowered than the online version.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-18, 07:32 AM
Dragons of Faerun and a web article monster mayhem IIRC.

And I just thought on the hilarity of taking Dragon familiar/cohort as a dragon... you can ply it as an stalker with crush or something.

Runestar
2010-11-18, 07:53 AM
There are several. WOTC has a free online set of rules for the Steel Dragon, so did an issue of Dragon Magazine.

Dragons of Faerun has the most recent version- which is I think slightly less overpowered than the online version.

You must be joking! Have you looked at the borked crs of the steel dragon? Sorc21 spellcasting, but only cr18?!? :smallannoyed:

TurtleKing
2010-11-18, 03:03 PM
Dragons are rare in the setting we are playing in. It was by chance that I died right around the time we would come across a dragon that was young enough to be played by a character.

hamishspence
2010-11-18, 05:13 PM
You must be joking! Have you looked at the borked crs of the steel dragon? Sorc21 spellcasting, but only cr18?!? :smallannoyed:

It is? That's odd.

The Dragon Magazine 339 one (January 2006) had it as CR 23 with 21st level spellcasting. And called it the Greyhawk Dragon.

Maybe it's only the Dragons of Faerun one that's problematic, not the online one?

EDIT: the online one is exactly as bad as the Dragons of Faerun one:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a

that leaves the dragon magazine one as the least broken of the three.

Runestar
2010-11-18, 05:31 PM
The Dragon Magazine 339 one (January 2006) had it as CR 23 with 21st level spellcasting. And called it the Greyhawk Dragon.

So the great wyrm is cr23? Makes much more sense.

Any errata exists for the steel wyrm's cr? I don't have dragon 339.

hamishspence
2010-11-18, 05:41 PM
I think Dragon 339's steel dragon has exactly the same stats as the Dragons of Faerun one- except for the CRs. And the online one's stats all seem to match up as well.

So- Dragon Magazine CRs:

Wyrmling: 4
Very Young: 5
Young: 6
Juvenile: 8
Young Adult: 10
Adult: 12
Mature Adult: 15
Old: 17
Very Old: 19
Ancient: 20
Wyrm: 21
Great Wyrm: 23

Dr.Epic
2010-11-18, 05:44 PM
1) Watch Dreamworks' How To Train Your Dragon
2) Do that 3) ??? 4) Profit

Despite looking like Night Fury, a black dragon is not the unholy offspring of lightning and Death itself.

TurtleKing
2010-11-18, 06:47 PM
I actually just bought the movie and have watched it at least once since then.

I think my class will develop has I adventure and grow up. This way try to go for a natural growth. This could mean I take a level in multiple classes has I change my mind. This is one of the few ways you find me playing a character with more than two or three classes. Reason being is all of the builds that have about five or more classes over twenty levels tend to make me sick with the amount of powergaming it entails. I focus a lot more on roleplaying than optimization, and I have played my characters to where I knew they would die if roleplayed in character.

To all of those who have broken from what the thread is meant for with talk about Steel Dragons take that to a new thread. The only option of dragons available to play is baby black dragon at this point due to the DM allowing it from being part of his plot.

mangosta71
2010-11-18, 06:48 PM
Put it in a diaper.

hamishspence
2010-11-18, 06:50 PM
To all of those who have broken from what the thread is meant for with talk about Steel Dragons take that to a new thread. The only option of dragons available to play is baby black dragon at this point due to the DM allowing it from being part of his plot.

The questions asked about steel dragons (what sources they are in) have been answered anyway- so hopefully no more such questions will be asked.

TurtleKing
2010-11-18, 06:51 PM
Put it in a diaper.

If I'm going to do that might as well use the female tiefling's underwear that the dogbold has soiled.....:smallbiggrin:

TurtleKing
2010-11-19, 02:31 AM
Well I have talked with my DM an I am going to be a Duskblade. I wonder what spells I should choose?