PDA

View Full Version : Feat Pricing?

Stegyre
2010-11-17, 01:25 PM
I'm sure someone's taken a crack at this before, probably more than once, and probably somewhere in homebrew:

I'm looking for a compilation giving comparative values of the available feats, or even absolute values. The idea being that a feat such as Power Attack is worth more than, say, Nimble.

Can someone point me to a thread or threads? (If you believe the author did a good job.)

I'd just like to see some proposed implementations of the idea.

EDIT: Sheesh! It's like people expect me to do my own work. :smallwink:
Found this (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/featpointsystem.html) and this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137647&highlight=feat+pricing). Any thoughts on those or others?

kestrel404
2010-11-17, 02:05 PM
I'd be interested in seeing such a thread myself, as it is the big issue with my 'feat equivalent valuation' idea. But I haven't seen anything like that for the last couple of years I've been here.

Stegyre
2010-11-17, 02:21 PM
I'd be interested in seeing such a thread myself, as it is the big issue with my 'feat equivalent valuation' idea. But I haven't seen anything like that for the last couple of years I've been here.

Edited two sources into the OP.

I agree with some of the thread comments (second link). I would not get into SKR's detailed point-buy. (I like point-buy systems and am a big fan of GURPS, but it makes a real mess to try cramming too many aspects of both levelling and point-buy systems together.) I think the three tiers of feats is the simplest and most-efficient approach: minor feats, feats, and major feats.

A lot of minor feats seem fairly easy to typify: endurance, two-skill feats, dodge, etc.

The dividing line between feats and major feats may be a little harder. Which feats would GitPers classify as the "major feats"?

kestrel404
2010-11-17, 03:45 PM
If you're going to simplify it that much, I think you could make a pretty general rule of thumb here.

Any feat that gives a static bonus (does not change based on level or some other factor) is a minor feat. Worth at most 1/2 as much as a regular feat in the long term.

Any feat that gives a scaling bonus (increases in value as level goes up, has a number of uses based on a given stat, etc.) is a regular feat. This is the 'baseline' feat so to speak. Metamagic falls mostly into this category, as higher level spells means higher level metamagiced spells.

Any feat that has an indefinite bonus, or scales non-linearly with ability/level gain, acts as a multiplier rather than a static bonus, or allows for entirely different sets of rules to come into play, would qualify as a major feat. Examples include Leadership (all flavors, and anything that modifies leadership qualifies, pretty much on all counts), Spirited Charge, Vow of Poverty (even if it's 'underpowered', VoP is a game-changer), and Words of Creation. Metamagic reducers also qualify here, I think.

Tyndmyr
2010-11-17, 03:47 PM
The big problem is that such a system can never account for synergy. I had this idea a while back, and while you can indeed rate everything on it's own, rating things based on synergy is an unsolvable problem.