PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever...

Dr.Epic
2010-11-17, 02:19 PM
...played a dwarf (in an roleplaying game) who DIDN'T use either an axe or hammer in melee combat? I myself never have, but am wondering who has/hasn't.

Angry Bob
2010-11-17, 02:20 PM
I played one that used a spiked chain in some combat and an axe in others. Does that count?

pffh
2010-11-17, 02:23 PM
Only one I can think of is a wizard that sometimes hit stuff with his spiked iron spellbook. But then again I rarely play dwarfs as other then casters.

mregecko
2010-11-17, 02:25 PM
...played a dwarf (in an roleplaying game) who DIDN'T use either an axe or hammer in melee combat? I myself never have, but am wondering who has/hasn't.

All of my melee builds use either Falchions or Spiked Chains.

Including my dwarfs.

Yes, I <3 cheese.

-- Mr. E. Gecko

mucat
2010-11-17, 02:29 PM
Doc, can you pick a thread title that actually tells people what the thread is about? It's rude to expect them to open it and find out.

On-topic, though...

For a dwarven wizard, a staff works well without really breaking the dwarf aesthetic; it's still a heavy blunt object he can knock people's teeth out with. For the same reason, a mace is a good dwarven weapon.

Or you can play against type and go with the foppish dwarven fencer with a foil or epee. :smallsmile:

Erwtas
2010-11-17, 02:36 PM
Do urgroshes count?

Feliks878
2010-11-17, 02:41 PM
I don't think I've ever actually played a Dwarf who *did* use a hammer or an axe except in 4e. In 3.5 I've played/have had players (if I'm the DM) who have played:

A dwarven Scout who uses a Light Crossbow at range and a shortsword in melee.

A dwarven Fighter who used Monkey Grip and a Greatsword, just for the aesthetic of a very short dwarf with a very large sword. He was minimum height as well, it was silly.

A dwarven cleric of St. Cuthbert, who wielded a Heavy Mace.

A dwarven fighter/reaping mauler whose only weapon was spiked armor and bear hugs.

A dwarven Fighter/Disciple of Dispater who used a Cold Iron Greatsword

In 4e:

A dwarven Paladin who used Longswords

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Stereotypes are boring. Quite a few of my players (inclduing myself, but I usually GM) like dwarves a great deal. Only one of those ideas (Monkey Grip Greastsword) was mine, the rest were various group members.

Comet
2010-11-17, 02:44 PM
I do remember running a dwarven druid with a scimitar in Neverwinter Nights 1 multiplayer.

Besides that, I once had an NPC dwarven merchant in a homebrewed fantasy game (based on the New World of Darkness system) who used a shortsword made out of a semi-magical metal. That one was pretty close to a GMPC, since I was running the game for one player only, so I totally count him as one of my characters.

Also, one short-lived dwarf of mine had a greatsword. And spears have been used by NPCs quite a lot, since short people like to compensate for their lack of reach in every other area (not completely serious, but it does make for a cool visual).

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-17, 02:45 PM
Only recall playing 1 Dwarf, and he was a desert based Shapeshift Druid so he technically used no weapons.

Keld Denar
2010-11-17, 02:45 PM
Hmmmm, the two dwarves I've played, one used an Urgrosh, which is half an axe, and the other used a War Axe (affectionately named Charisma, she had it!). A buddy of mine played a dwarf in Living Greyhawk who used a great sword though. That counts, right?

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-17, 03:02 PM
I played a Dwarven Warlock who wielded a light mace when he wasn't blasting things with eldritch energy.

AstralFire
2010-11-17, 03:03 PM
My dwarves are usually archers. Sexy, curvy little archers.

Pardon.

Sleepingbear
2010-11-17, 03:13 PM
Only played one Dwarf and they used a Heavy Crossbow.

Dimers
2010-11-17, 03:18 PM
I don't recall playing a dwarf who DID primarily use an axe or hammer. My last hammer-centric character was a half-elf; my dwarves usually use staves, fists, or whatever they happen to come across that's more magical than whatever they currently have. I prefer effectiveness and crit range over RP stereotypes.

WinceRind
2010-11-17, 03:25 PM
Yes.
Crossbows, daggers, and harpoons. Also unarmed and grapple...

Axes and maces are cool 'n'all but in my opinion nothing's more awesome then a dwarf with a huge tricked-out crossbow. Unless he has a gun instead.

Sleepingbear
2010-11-17, 03:27 PM
Only played one Dwarf and they used a Heavy Crossbow.

Thorcrest
2010-11-17, 03:30 PM
I played a Dwarf Monk once.

Toric
2010-11-17, 05:07 PM
One of my dwarf characters was a rogue who swapped between warhammer, dagger, and Discworld-style dwarfbread as was appropriate.

Fayd
2010-11-17, 05:08 PM
It's not EXACTLY an axe, but the Dwarf Barbarian in my current campaign is wielding a Masterwork +1 Pickaxe.

EDIT: And in our campaign world, one sub-race of dwarves has an obsession with Glaives (and the variations thereof, before counting the variations from adding copious amounts of spikes) and Kukri.

Calmar
2010-11-17, 06:27 PM

I've played a dwarven wizard once. He carried a staff... and used his spells.

I think swords are perfect weapons for dwarves. The association between dwarves and swords reaches back into mythology, yet remains largely untouched in fantasy.

Callista
2010-11-17, 06:29 PM
Dwarf druid. Used a quarterstaff, but I think she only swung it a couple of times. Most of the time it was bear-and-related-creatures wildshape and spells. Granted--this was a very odd clanless dwarf, and NE to boot, so the "clanless" part is not surprising, given dwarf society. So... not a typical dwarf at all.

Also played a dwarf fighter type that used a set of throwing axes. Eventually got herself killed going toe-to-toe with a dragon. Note to self: If you build for ranged combat, do remember to count the possibility of dead ends in tunnels.

dsmiles
2010-11-17, 06:30 PM
I stick with the whole "Miner" shtick. I use a Pick. (Horrible rhyme intended. :smallamused:)

Rasman
2010-11-17, 06:35 PM
Doc, can you pick a thread title that actually tells people what the thread is about? It's rude to expect them to open it and find out.

On-topic, though...

For a dwarven wizard, a staff works well without really breaking the dwarf aesthetic; it's still a heavy blunt object he can knock people's teeth out with. For the same reason, a mace is a good dwarven weapon.

Or you can play against type and go with the foppish dwarven fencer with a foil or epee. :smallsmile:

...but...I got you to open the thread and read it, so it did what it was supposed to do...

...tbh, I was expecting another list post, but, this works too

Dwarves seem Iconic with their weapon choice, but right now we have a Dwarven Fighter that is using a Flaming Short Sword...but that's because he decided to slide down a slope in a dungeon right into a Black Pudding and it melted all his gear...almost melted him...

nedz
2010-11-17, 06:35 PM
I'm running a campaign where the entire party are Dwarves.
Axes are common, but the Cleric uses a mace (well occasionally), the Scout uses a rapier (or sometimes a bow) and the Monk their fists.

comicshorse
2010-11-17, 06:42 PM
Yes, he was a Rigger in a Shadowrun game so he used a vehicle mounted Vindicator assault cannon

Lhurgyof
2010-11-17, 06:52 PM

I played a dwarven priest who used a sickle.

But then again, it was Dark Sun. :smallwink:

Vaynor
2010-11-17, 06:57 PM
The only dwarf I ever played was a ranger/exotic weapon master/pious templar with the piscator combat style (Dragon Mag 326) and the net + trident weapon style feat from CW. :smallsmile:

Assassin89
2010-11-17, 07:15 PM
I have played a dwarf cleric who uses a heavy mace as a weapon. You said not use a hammer or axe, and a heavy mace is not a hammer.

Kaulesh
2010-11-17, 07:36 PM
I like dwarves and all, but I haven't actually rolled up many.

The only dwarf I've made, for an ill-fated PbP on another forum, was a ranger with a heavy crossbow and scimitar. He was all but useless in melee combat, having 10 strength and a weapon that couldn't be finessed. He couldn't even hold his weapons, armor (just leather, nothing special), and meager supplies without getting penalties for weight.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-17, 07:37 PM
I have played a dwarf cleric who uses a heavy mace as a weapon. You said not use a hammer or axe, and a heavy mace is not a hammer.

Does that mean it's an axe?

RebelRogue
2010-11-17, 07:51 PM
I once had a dwarf ranger in a party I played in, dual-wielding picks. Seemed appropriate enough.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-17, 07:53 PM
I played one that used a shield in one hand and his knife-tipped holy object in the other.

AshDesert
2010-11-17, 08:21 PM
I've played a lot of Dwarven spellcasters, including a Dread Necromancer who either used a scythe or dual-wielded sickles, a Druid (so claws), and a Psychic Warrior (so also claws). I have used a Greataxe wielding Dwarf before, but most of the martial Dwarf characters I play use swords, polearms, or spiked chains (in optimized games).

gurban
2010-11-17, 08:41 PM
Pick is where it is at. Currently playing(4e) a Dwarf fighter, Brawler Style, who hits baddies with his pick and holds on to them so the rogue can backstab like a mofo. Sidenote, the rogue is a half-orc, war orphan, who raised by dwarves. As an homage to his parents and adopted culture, he has a glued on beard. A poorly glued on beard.

Zhalath
2010-11-17, 09:12 PM
I built a dwarf once with a longsword. He was also a bard.

mucat
2010-11-17, 09:18 PM
I built a dwarf once with a longsword.

Truly you are a master craftsman. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 09:24 PM
I had a dwarven cleric who morningstar'd people, but he was a cleric, so... yeah.

I've seen a couple of dwarven mounted builds where they were using lances, of course. Kinda wanna see a dwarf in hide or stone armor wielding a great club and riding an advanced rust monster though... Read something about an idea of dwarves doing that which caught my interest.

Remmirath
2010-11-18, 12:25 AM
I had a dwarf thief who used a crossbow. I also had a dwarf who used a greatsword. I can't recall any others, but I haven't played very many dwarves, truth be told. I believe I also had one that used a halberd.

I must admit that the majority of my dwarves (probably slightly more than half) have been axe or hammer users, though.

Seffbasilisk
2010-11-18, 02:07 AM
I once played a Gold Dwarf monk, who took his Vow of Poverty to the extreme, and wore only a pair of sandals, with a few shuriken braided into his beard.

Shyftir
2010-11-18, 02:17 AM
I played a human raised by dwarves who took the "Dwarves use hammers" thing to a new level and used a homebrewed great hammer.

But let's see my dwarf monk used his fists and a kama until I realized the kama was worse then the fists. (In Neverwinter Nights 1)

I also had a dwarven fighter who did the whole Gutbuster thing with spiked gauntlets as his main weapon and stuff. (He had no beard, the poor boy. He was always trying to make up for the lack.)

Volos
2010-11-18, 02:25 AM
I hopefully will be playing a dwarven Ashworm Dragoon... he is wielding a lance and a light shield.

Crossblade
2010-11-18, 02:26 AM
In the solo campaign for my GF that I run, she has 1 dwarf accompanying her, and had another one previously.
The first that is still with her is a Bard X / Fighter 1.... just so he can use a Dwarven War Axe.
The second was a Mystic Theurge (wiz/cleric). I had to dig to double check and find his old npc sheet; he used a Heavy Mace. Almost surprised I didn't try to fit him with a hammer... probably because Moradin doesn't have the War Domain, so no Hammer proficiency.

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 02:36 AM
Almost surprised I didn't try to fit him with a hammer... probably because Moradin doesn't have the War Domain, so no Hammer proficiency.

yeah, that's why my dwarven cleric didn't have a warhammer.

Fhaolan
2010-11-18, 02:43 AM
One of my current characters is a Dwarven rogue. Her primary weapon is a crowbar. Her secondary is a shovel.

Noneoyabizzness
2010-11-18, 10:57 AM
dwarf monk and 2e dwarven locksmith who mostly used daggers and crossbow but did have a hammer which came into use in a museum full of zombies

Dsurion
2010-11-18, 11:15 AM
I stick with the whole "Miner" shtick. I use a Pick. (Horrible rhyme intended. :smallamused:)

I've always done this. Just like with how farming tools became deadly weapons in history, I'd assume Dwarves would adapt their everyday mining tools for militaristic use. Well, that and a broad-swinging weapon like an axe would be next to impossible to use in tunnels, so I also tended to see a lot of (tower) shield and shortspear dwarves.

Hironomus
2010-11-18, 11:18 AM
I am quite partial to the dwarf rogue with two shortswords.

Zhalath
2010-11-18, 09:29 PM
Truly you are a master craftsman. :smallwink:

Lemme tell you, it took a lot of strain to write sword on that sheet.

"That's it. I'm giving him a longsword. L-O-N-G-"
"Hey, is a longaxe a weapon?"
"I think so?"
"...must...write...S..."

Half-orc Bard
2010-11-19, 12:06 AM
I played one with duel Bastered swords. It was epic.

Half-orc Bard
2010-11-19, 12:11 AM
One of my current characters is a Dwarven rogue. Her primary weapon is a crowbar. Her secondary is a shovel.

That sounds awesome what are their damages?

Fhaolan
2010-11-19, 01:10 AM
That sounds awesome what are their damages?

The shovel is technically a spade, and is statted like a quarterstaff with one heavier end (double-ended, 1d6/1d4, x2, Bludgeoning). The crowbar is one of the big wrecking bars that is statted sorta like a heavy pick and mace combined (1d4 x4 Piercing or x2 Bludgeoning depending on how you turn it).

Originally, the DM ruled them as Improvised Weapons with the appropriate penalties. However she recently got a dwarven smith to make 'proper dwarven' versions for her that were balanced for combat.

dgnslyr
2010-11-19, 01:25 AM
I heard about this dwarf that turned into a bear and mauled and kung-fu'd people...

Coidzor
2010-11-19, 02:42 AM
Oh yeah, and wasn't there one who used his beard to smite his enemies?

Temotei
2010-11-19, 02:47 AM
No. :smallsmile:

Lev
2010-11-19, 02:55 AM

What about fists? Beard fists.

Yeah, Ironbeard the Shield, he wields a tower shield and a spiked light shield.

grimbold
2010-11-19, 05:33 AM
in my world i have house ruled that kords clerics use greatswords
so i have played dwarven clerics with greatswords

true_shinken
2010-11-19, 05:42 AM
Falling...
I'm falling...
Falling...
I'm falling...

Ernir
2010-11-19, 05:45 AM
My latest dwarf is a hippogriff-riding lance user.

Unless he gets pissed, then there's fists. And teeth.

Zapato
2010-11-19, 09:18 AM
http://media.s3.zoopy.com/media/cache/2008/09/27/3812/13990/thumb-640x.jpg?1288603201

Sorry, couldn't resist. As for myself, I have played a dwarf only once and he had a big hammer :smalltongue:.