PDA

View Full Version : A guess about Tarquin's Surprise [Speculation]

Porthos
2010-11-17, 02:39 PM
So I was thinking about Tarquin's Surprise (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0756.html) that is about to be revealed. It wasn't the unexpected meeting with Captain Amun-ora, as Tarquin repeats that the Surprise is about to be sprung (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html). Now there has been a lot of speculation on just what it could be. But I'm not sure if this idea has been brought up or not:

The Surprise will be about Nale.

Nale with either be present on the rooftops (maybe as a prisoner?), or someone (maybe a member of the Linear Guild?) will be there with information about him.

Think about it and it makes perfect sense. Nale is still an Enemy of the State. So he can't be seen in public (or even in "regular" jails). We know that at some point, the Linear Guild is going to reenter the picture. So why not at a moment of Dramatic Importance? And there are other reasons as well, which I will get to in a moment.

Now to deal some objections. The number one objection is that Nale and Tarquin had a bit of a falling out. Well, there are any number of reasons why they might put aside mutual hostility for a temporary rapprochement. And the biggest I can think of is Control of the Entire World. :smallamused:

Now the second biggest objection is: Why would Nale (who doesn't play well with others) come crawling back to dear ol' dad for help. Well the short answer might be: He isn't. But Tarquin might have found out about Nale's presence on the Western Continent and this Surprise will be the reveal of that. On the other hand, maybe Nale's been convinced (Sabine?) to temporarily work with his dad toward a greater goal.

Nale's sudden entry into the story might explain how Tarquin is aware of Girard. We don't know how much Nale learned about the Gates when he was masquerading as Elan. But its probable that he learned about Girard.

And this brings me back around to reasons that I think that, at the very least, Tarquin is aware of Nale. Tarquin knows of Girard but is stalling for time. What if the reason he knows about Girard is that he learned it from/because of Nale? The exact line that might be important is, "My associates in the Prefecture have informed me-" And then he is cut off. What if that line was about the whereabouts of Nale?

Can anyone think of anything more Dramatically Important than that? Perhaps. But I think it fits.

Now there are a couple of different ways this might go. Broadly speaking, Tarquin could be working against Nale (which would mean that Tarquin is about to deliver news about Nale) or he could be working with Nale (which would mean Nale [or an associate] would be present).
Heck, it could turn out that it looks like Tarquin is working against Nale when in fact he is secretly working with him.
In the first case, we have already established in-story of the multitude of reasons why Tarquin would be working against Nale. So it wouldn't be much of a stretch to think that Tarquin is going to try to persuade Elan to stop whatever Nale is up to. In the second case... Well it's mostly down to the fact that I don't take anything that Tarquin says at face value. So it wouldn't surprise me at all to see some sort of temporary alliance (that both know will be eventually broken).

So I am not quite sure which way this will fall yet. Both situations set up some prisoner Possibilities. But I do think that the Surprise will be Nale Related somehow. It would explain why Tarquin didn't want Haley present (this is private family business) and why no one else is around.

Gd8908
2010-11-17, 05:39 PM
It could be to do with Elan's mom. Now, I'm not saying this is probable, but it's a possibility. Anyone agree with me?
(By the way, sorry for the lack of detail. Now, I know not much detail is really needed, but my reply still looks pathetic compared to Porthos's.)

KillItWithFire
2010-11-17, 05:52 PM
I highly doubt the bad blood between Tarquin and Nale could be repaired so quickly, that between Elan and Nale even less so. Tarquin isn't much concerned with buissiness right now, he's enjoying the celebration. The surprise is something that he expects both him and Elan to find mutually celebratory. The only way Nale would be there is on an executioners block.

If Tarquin had Nale in captivity one would assume he would inform Malack of this. However, 2 days ago the bounty was still live and Malack assumed the prisnor brought before him (Elan) to be Nale. Why would he think that if he knew they already had him captive. Unless the EoB is extreamely efficent and Tarquin was able to pry himself away from the festivities of the last 2 days to deal with Nale and set this "surprise" up it's not happening. My money is on a gladitorial fight in honor of his sons return.

Crisis21
2010-11-18, 01:14 AM
I highly doubt the bad blood between Tarquin and Nale could be repaired so quickly, that between Elan and Nale even less so. Tarquin isn't much concerned with buissiness right now, he's enjoying the celebration. The surprise is something that he expects both him and Elan to find mutually celebratory. The only way Nale would be there is on an executioners block.

Highlighted for emsphasis.

Key word: expects

The problem is that Tarquin has made numerous assumptions about Elan that we, the readers, know to be false. This 'surprise' that Tarquin assumes Elan will enjoy will possibly be the final piece of evidence that clues Elan in, once and for all, that his dad is Evil (capitalization deliberate).

Gift Jeraff
2010-11-18, 01:19 AM
It's a giant Banjo float held aloft by the joyous screams of willing air elementals...who are evil. It turns out that Elan's puppets were the only things his father left for him. Between this and the recent revelations of evilness, Elan will be too torn to do anything.

Or maybe it's clown-jugglers juggling tiny clowns (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0727.html).

kyoryu
2010-11-18, 01:32 AM
Highlighted for emsphasis.

Key word: expects

The problem is that Tarquin has made numerous assumptions about Elan that we, the readers, know to be false. This 'surprise' that Tarquin assumes Elan will enjoy will possibly be the final piece of evidence that clues Elan in, once and for all, that his dad is Evil (capitalization deliberate).

Yeah. I'm pretty sure this is how it's going to go down. Elan will be genuinely appalled by the surprise, and Tarquin will be genuinely shocked at this reaction. He doesn't even realize how far over the Moral Event Horizon he's gone. In his own way, Tarquin is as clueless as Elan.

Heksefatter
2010-11-18, 01:49 AM
I actually expect that the Giant would be able to surprise me here. I won't be able to figure it out at all.

However, my best guesses are (not ordered according to probability):

1) Something with Elan's mother.

2) Something with Roy and Belkar. Maybe Tarquin knows through an informer by now. It could take Elan by surprise and give Tarquin some edge that he's hoping for.

3) Something to do with the gates or Gairard. We know that Tarquin knows SOMETHING. This may be the most likely one, in fact.

4) Something with Nale. I don't see it as much - I don't think that Tarquin would take the killing of his son as an event of celebration. More like something that had to be done. Malack even said something about him knowing that Tarquin would go soft in the case of Nale (when it was still thought that Elan was Nale). I think that Tarquin is very evil. I just do not think that he will have the killing of Nale as a festive surprise. Also, the capture of Nale deserves more drama than having happened off-stage.

Poppy Appletree
2010-11-18, 03:04 AM

"If Nale dies, Mommy will cry." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html)

super dark33
2010-11-18, 07:55 AM
The surprise is telling Elan that he will rule the empire as the general after tarquin.
about nale i think
he will visit his mother that he havent met in his life

Swordpriest
2010-11-18, 10:09 AM
About the surprise, in #756, Tarquin says --

"This surprise will have none of that. My associates in the Prefecture informed me of a unique --"

That doesn't sound like he's talking about Nale to me, or Elan's mother, for that matter. It's either a unique creature (highly unusual riding dinosaur?) or a unique situation (really bizarre gladiatorial fight?), from the sounds of it to me. There's a chance it's an item, too, I suppose.

I'm just saying if it's Elan's mother, I don't think Tarquin would refer to her as a unique object that his associates in the Prefecture informed him about. Same goes for Nale.

BarroomBard
2010-11-18, 02:44 PM
I am pretty sure that the surprise is supposed to be the gladiator match with Belkar and Roy (held "in honor of Tarquin's son (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html)").

Nevereatcars
2010-11-18, 05:57 PM
Comic Strip # 727: Could it be Draketooth? All of you assume that it will have something to do with Roy or Nale. But COULD IT BE DRAKETOOTH????

Gift Jeraff
2010-11-18, 09:18 PM
"This surprise will have none of that. My associates in the Prefecture informed me of a unique --"

"...a unique island of puppet-worshiping orcs near the Southern Continent. My men have subjugated it as a private island for you and I to teleport to for our many honeymoons to come. You can see your new, personal, orcish slaves in the parade right about...now!"

Swordpriest
2010-11-18, 09:47 PM
"...a unique island of puppet-worshiping orcs near the Southern Continent. My men have subjugated it as a private island for you and I to teleport to for our many honeymoons to come. You can see your new, personal, orcish slaves in the parade right about...now!"

Now that's the kind of stuff I had in mind! :smallwink:

Crisis21
2010-11-19, 12:13 PM
Yeah. I'm pretty sure this is how it's going to go down. Elan will be genuinely appalled by the surprise, and Tarquin will be genuinely shocked at this reaction. He doesn't even realize how far over the Moral Event Horizon he's gone. In his own way, Tarquin is as clueless as Elan.

Wow. Of all the things I could have been right about, it had to be that one.

There isn't a :eek: big enough to convey my shock.

Porthos
2010-11-19, 02:41 PM
Oh well. That's one Epileptic Tree that has been Felled. :smalltongue:

BarroomBard
2010-11-19, 09:27 PM
I hereby declare this thread Jossed...

Gift Jeraff
2010-11-19, 10:01 PM
Oh well. That's one Epileptic Tree that has been Felled. :smalltongue:

And used as firewood.