PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Crusader Durability

Sir_Chivalry
2010-11-17, 02:47 PM
Okay, so I have a basic idea, I'm just looking to you guys to either make it better or show me what I'm doing wrong.

I'm making a crusader for my PCs to fight sometime in the future.

Assuming Crusader 20, how do I get the most out of Steely Resolve 30? So far I have Stone Power, which covers up to 15 points of damage, but what of the other 15?

Short of getting DR, which I'm pretty sure applies before Steely Resolve, the only thing I can think of is a magic item called Armour of Healing from Dragon Magazine. Basically when I take damage, I get a cure light wounds spell (1d8+1, avg. 5.5 points) at the end of the turn, slot vest, cost 1,250gp. Now if I use that as the base for determining cost @ CL 1 SL 1, then cure moderate wounds @ CL 3 SL 2 would cost 7,500gp and heal 2d8+3, avg. 12, and one crafted by a higher level (CL 6) guy would cost 15,000gp and cure 2d8+6, avg. 15.

Is this the best approach or should I seek other things?

Keld Denar
2010-11-17, 02:54 PM
Crusader Strike + Revitalizing Strike + Rallying Strike + Strike of Righteous Vitality.

Every manevuer in that chain heals you a bit when you hit someone. That'll work out decent.

I've also heard it ruled that DR is checked twice. Once when you get hit, and once when your pool gets dumped. Not sure how legit that is, but its something to look into. If you get hit multiple times, your SR pool dumping would only be reduced once though since its just one total loss of HP.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-17, 03:18 PM
Wrathful Healing weapon property, from Enemies and Allies (sidebar on page 20). It's 3.0, but it hasn't been updated so it should still be usable as-is in 3.5. It costs +3 and makes it so every time the weapon deals any damage, the wielder is healed for half of the damage dealt including strength bonuses, power attack, sneak attack, Smite, or extra damage from a strike such as Divine Surge or Ancient Mountain Hammer. Be sure to get the feat Extra Smiting in CW if you get this.

Mineral Warrior (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) grants DR 8/Adamantine, +3 natural armor, and +4 Con among other things for only a +1 LA or +1 CR. He can take the feat Thick-Skinned from Savage Species to increase it by +2 each time, up to double the original value or 16/Adamantine if he takes it four times.