PDA

View Full Version : Druid question

Thant
2010-11-17, 05:03 PM
Is there a feat/spell that would allow wildshaping into a specific magical beast, like something akin to beast totem+beast shape feats from ECS, but limited to a single creature and it's subtypes (gryphon, dire gryphon, phrenic gryphon etc. for example), but before reaching epic levels (Magical Beast Wild Shape feat (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Magical_Beast_Wild_Shape))?

Hm? :smallconfused:

Edit: other than Dragon/Exalted/Frozen wildshape feats with wich I'm familiar already; I need a feat or a spell that will allow me to ws in a specific magical beast of my choice (gryphon in this case, for fluff and rp matters) before reaching 21+ levels...

tnx for any feedback :smallsmile:

HunterOfJello
2010-11-17, 05:10 PM
Beast Shape which you already listed.

Dragon Wild Shape can't be gotten till around level 11, but lets you turn into a small or medium dragon.

Exalted Wild Shape lets you turn into a Blink Dog, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Pegasus, Unicorn, or the Celestial templated normal wild shape. (Requires level 8 and good alignment)

~

As far as spells go there are the Polymorph line of spells, but Druids don't get that full list. Shapechange (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Shapechange) obviously does the trick once you have access to 9th level spells.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-17, 05:59 PM
It isn't a feat, but Planar Shepherd level 3 grants you the ability to wildshape into Magical Beasts native to your chosen plane (so choose one with Gryphons and you're set).

Rasman
2010-11-17, 06:12 PM
It isn't a feat, but Planar Shepherd level 3 grants you the ability to wildshape into Magical Beasts native to your chosen plane (so choose one with Gryphons and you're set).

who would EVER want to do that?!?!?!

I mean, who would want the ability to wildshape into an Avalancher when fighting a goblin army that is forced to travel though a small mountain pass...or be able to apply the Celestial or Fiendish templates to ANY creature they Wildshape into...OR want to be able to Wildshape into a Lionel that gets "Fireball at will"...OR...

I think you get my point XD

Planar Shepherd is probably your best path with this, it's enter-able after level 5 and the feats required are totally awesome anyway. Not only can you Wildshape into Magical Beasts, but you also eventually gain access to the Outsiders from your plane, so if you chose the Elemental Plane of Fire, you can wildshape into an Efretti and grant free wishes.

Most DMs would outright ban this class, but if it's something you really wanted, talk with your DM about limiting yourself or about which plane you want to take. My druid took Lamannia, the Twilight Forest, and JUST hit PS3. There aren't a LOT of magical beasts that are accessible from that plane, but the fact that Avalanchers are Magical Beasts makes it worth it until you can get to the Elementals and Outsiders.

Thant
2010-11-17, 06:58 PM
Wow. I just took a quick peek at the planar shepard handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871574/The_Planar_Shepherd_Handbook) and all I can say is...wow.

The only reason I'm actually interested in griffs is this pic. (http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6278/griffint.jpg)

Our DM took it from Disciples 2: Rise of the Elves and used it as inspiration to create some insane wild/dire griffin primal fury monstrosity and I vowed that either my druid will get to wildshape into that creature of pure awesomeness before the campaign ends or I will play soulknives for the rest of my rp career...and it seems to me that my "vow" is one step away from being fulfilled ^^

I'll try to smuggle the planar shepard with my DM (no matter how broken it may seem), but considering that I'm playing a kreen druid 4/monk 2 (don't ask, again it is the fluff to blame) and have sacrificed 2 lvls already for practically nothing (not counting the damn ECL :P) I think this will be approved in no time.

tnx Kalaska and Rasman for the suggestion, you really helped me a lot :)

Rasman
2010-11-17, 07:09 PM
Wow. I just took a quick peek at the planar shepard handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871574/The_Planar_Shepherd_Handbook) and all I can say is...wow.

The only reason I'm actually interested in griffs is this pic. (http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6278/griffint.jpg)

Our DM took it from Disciples 2: Rise of the Elves and used it as inspiration to create some insane wild/dire griffin primal fury monstrosity and I vowed that either my druid will get to wildshape into that creature of pure awesomeness before the campaign ends or I will play soulknives for the rest of my rp career...and it seems to me that my "vow" is one step away from being fulfilled ^^

I'll try to smuggle the planar shepard with my DM (no matter how broken it may seem), but considering that I'm playing a kreen druid 4/monk 2 (don't ask, again it is the fluff to blame) and have sacrificed 2 lvls already for practically nothing (not counting the damn ECL :P) I think this will be approved in no time.

tnx Kalaska and Rasman for the suggestion, you really helped me a lot :)

lol...not a problem...have fun RPing the Greensingers by the way...they're...interesting...

I didn't have to deal with it at level 1 since they were a part of my backstory, but once it gets to the point that you can use Planar Bubbles, you TECHNICALLY have to make a proposal to the Fairie Court in order to be able to do it. Depending on your plane, this can either be

A) Really Awesome and Broken
or
B) Really Broken and Awesome
or
C) A and B
or
D) Something you're not really concerned with because your Plane gives you Wildshapes that are more of the focus.

My personal suggestions are the Plane of Fire, Ice or Lamannia, the Twilight Forest.

You either get Constant Fire Damage that you and your party are immune to, Flash Freeze that can outright kill just about anything, or Druid Spells get extended for free and you can Wildshape into Wish Machines and other Flavorful things.

Force
2010-11-17, 10:11 PM
There is always the option of asking your DM if he'll homebrew a feat that would allow you to shift into that specific creature. Fluff it as studying the creature or its lore continuously. Unless the creature in question is far too powerful, it seems reasonable enough.