PDA

View Full Version : Visions of Fire (IC)

razovor
2010-11-17, 05:14 PM
Backstory
A renegade goblin army has pillged it's way north, up into america. The Humn empire, with some assistance, have gathered an army to attack the goblins. Mikhael, arnold and Caine are all soldiers in the human empire. On route to the battle, they are informed they are being removed from the rank and file soldiers, for special assignment with a Captain Conway Bellorum.

Zeyt is thief, following along with the human armies, to steal supplies.

Phil Graz'nek is a goblin shaman fighting for the goblin army.

Session One And Two:
The party arrive at the war camp, and meet in a mess hall. Conway recives a letter informing him that a sixth member of their party died on route. The party go to the prisons, and pick up a prisoner; Zeyt, to serve as their rogue.

The party get their first assignment. They are to travel ahead of the main human army, and take down one of several towers, which the goblins could use to warn them of the impending attack.

The party travel to the tower, and manage to take it down. Unfortunately one of the tower defenses, led by Phil Graz'nek was successful. The goblins there light the beacon, and warn their brethren of the impending attack.

The party return to the army encampment, which has moved closer for battle readiness. The armies are preparing to clash, but their next assignment takes the party away from the fighting.

A small goblin band is moving north to seize a village. The party are sent ahead to prepare and defend the village. They reach the village in time and begin preparations.

After spotting goblins a half-day away, the party manage to capture a goblin shaman, by the name of Graz'nek who was part of the band. The shaman warns the party of spies within the village. In an attempt to find these spies, the party kill a suspicious baker. The party release Graz'nek into their custody.

The goblin band arrives at the village. With siege weapons. The party charge out solo to take down the weapons. After that success, the goblins charge in and begin combat. The party and villages hold off the goblins, who take heavy casualties. The goblins route, and flee.

A feast is held in celebration of the party's victory

Session Three:
The party awaken after a nights sleep in the village of alridge. During the night, a scout arrived from the human army. The scout brings good tidings of the battle against the goblins, which was a success.

Several small goblin bands have fled the battle, scattering in all directions. The party are sent to track down the Goblin Warchief Enreil who escaped the battle with a magic artefact.

The party journey west through the forest to meet the goblin as he comes downstream. During the journey they encounter a small band of skeletons, and spot fires burning in the long abandoned Fort Caster.

The party come across Chief Enreil along the river, attack him, and destroy him and his band. The magic artefact is a bracer which grants +3 to armour. The artefact is given to Conway, as the commanding officer.

The party return to the human encampment. On the way there they stop to loot the battlefield and get a plethora of mundane weapons and armour.

Conway and Mikhael enjoy a feast in honour of the victory. Caine gets drunk. Arnold assualts the cloaked musician. Mikhael and Zeyt stop Arnold. Conway gives the magic bracers to Lord Conner Dace of Bolania, the family to which they belonged originally.

OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9784413
Wiki: http://blakesworld.wikispaces.com/

madeyegeorge
2010-11-18, 11:58 AM
arnold
arnold confronts the masked musican
you sir are an unholy fraud! you travel from town to town polluting the most sacred of arts and you think nothing of the greater consiquences of your actions. you offend powers beyond your wildest imaginations and the result will be dire, not just for you, but for the oh so many more whom you taint with your blasphemy. you are the single largest threat to the world, it is you who will deny salvation for us all!
arnold spits at the masked coward as he is pulled back by his comrades, who are so misled, they do not understand what they do. fools.

razovor
2010-11-19, 09:08 AM
The Cloaked Musician makes no response to arnolds comment. With a whisk of his dark cloak, he turns, and walks silently off into the night.

The morning after the feast.

Conway is awaken, a few minutes before dawn, by a mailed fist, beating loudly on his door...

ImperatorAlpha
2010-11-19, 12:16 PM
"Identify Yourself."
Conway's bark passes through the air as he draws his sword from its sheath next to his bed.

razovor
2010-11-19, 02:07 PM
"Captain Lucas Brandt, Divine Sentinel. I need to speak with you and your team."

ImperatorAlpha
2010-11-19, 02:25 PM
"Good morning Captain. How can we help you?"
Conway lowers his sword as he opens the door.
"Do come in, take a seat."

razovor
2010-11-19, 02:39 PM
Captain Lucas Brandt enters the room. A tall man, well dressed in golden chainmail, greaves, boots and gauntlets. Under this is a thin layer of green and grey woolen clothes. He has short scuffy brown hair, with a raggedy short beard.

Captain Lucas takes a seat at the table.

As you well know, this assignment was a test of sorts. After the unfortunate incident last month we've been looking to get you a new command.

This new squad will be smaller than usual, only six men, including yourself. They'll all officially by Divine Sentinels, but given your record we're willing to make exceptions on their piety, if you're sure they can cut it.

Can they cut it Captain?"

Captain Lucas picks an apple off the bowl on the table, and takes a bite

ImperatorAlpha
2010-11-19, 02:51 PM
"I believe so. They were very successful, though I've yet to fully ascertain the reliability of their character traits. The only incident of note was when one of my men cut down a civilian baker, who we had apprehended on suspicion of spying. He will do his penance, and if not, I will see to it that the matter is referred.
"I also have to report some suspicious activity around Fort Caster - camp fires and a number of undead creatures. This may warrant further investigation. Finally I have to report for intelligence purposes that on intercepting the goblin warchief, we took possession of an artefact that he presumably had looted from the corpse of one of the Dace lords. I returned it to the family.
"One question however - what is our new mission? I presume it must be of some considerable urgency to bring you here at this time of the morning."

razovor
2010-11-19, 03:01 PM
Captain Lucas bursts into laughter, long and hearty.

"I must apolgise sir, i've been up for at least a few hours. I was a nightwatchmen, back before i joined the sentinels. It did odd things to my sleeping hours.

Your assignment can wait. I'll meet your team in four hours, out by the northern path?"

ImperatorAlpha
2010-11-19, 03:06 PM
"Very well then. I shall see you shortly."
Conway opens the door for his colleague, and then closes it behind him.
Swiftly donning his uniform and armour, he makes his way out to the camp, as the sun rises and the morning reveille is blown on the bugles used throughout the human armies to signify the dawn. As the tune is taken up by the pipes of the elves, the first soldiers begin making their way, still groggy from the previous night's celebrations, to the mess tents.
He walks to the tent allocated to his squad, and there meets his comrades-in-arms. He speaks to his second, "Good Morning. I want everyone assembled on the northern path three hours from now."

madeyegeorge
2010-11-19, 03:25 PM
arnold
arnold opens his eyes after a night of uneasy meditation, the incident of last night disturbed him, and he wanted to avoid seeing people this morning. however he was in need of sustinance, and wearily proceded to the mess hall.

Caloenas
2010-11-19, 04:43 PM
With a groan, Noraloth wakes up, with a minor headache after the 6 hour binge drinking danceathon, in somewhere he doesn't recognise. Stort is watching Noraloth attentively, as usual.
The room they are in is a rather humble single person bedroom with scarcely anything but a bed.

"Impressive moves last night" he says to Stort with a chuckle.

Stort does not reply. Hes in one of his moods again. Like the time when Noraloth accidentally pushed him off a boat.

With that Noraloth exits the room, and discovers hes in the Iron Goblet inn, which is in somewhat of a tip due to last nights events. Its rather empty at this time in the morning. The innkeeper, whos looking rather haggard, is cleaning tables.

The innkeeper, with a smile, says "Oh! Good morning sir! Terrific moves last night, most impressive. Brought many punters in, it did. I put you in one of my rooms"

Noraloth replies "Most kind of you, It was fun, but I must be off, I have concoctions to cure my minor headache"

"Goodbye then sir, don't worry about the tab, you paid it many times over with the traffic you brought"

With that, Noraloth wanders out on they way to his tent, to create his fabled medicinal headache cure and anti-inflammatory (probably not) known only as Caracetamol.

Imperial Psycho
2010-11-20, 07:21 AM
Mikhael sits in his tent, tracing an old scar, as his 'officer' arrives.
"What you want and what you'll get may be different things. I will see what I can do."
Donning his blackened surcoat and armour, he makes a hasty breakfast of some salted meat in his pack. After the requisite amount of insubordination is complete, he attempts to find each man in turn, and tells them to at least be somewhat conscious and dressed within the hour.

razovor
2010-11-20, 12:45 PM
Mess Hall

Conway and arnold arrive in the main mess hall. It's a large tent, fiting around two hundred people, set up just outside the reclaimed village. The tent is filled with men, mostly Bolanian.

Off in the far corner, Lord Kevin High can be seen eating with his Captains. Lord Kevin is the man honoured with restoring this region to it's former glory.

Outside the encampment

Mkhael spots Noraloth, wandering out the camp in search of herbs.

Village Square

A crowd has gathered in the village square, to listen to a sermon by one of the high priests of Indur. There are the traditional blessings, thanking The One for his help in the battle, praising the people for their piety, and as is becoming a custom these days, a warning of the endtime;

"Soldiers, officers, generals, lords. It is because of your dedication and faith that we have won this battle. Now, more than ever, it is clear the beasts can't threaten the integrity of our world. They are a threat no longer. It may take centuries, but we will wipe their scourge from the planet. We will win this war.

But there is one war we can't win. The war we fight with ourselves, in our very hearts. We all feel the temptation of evil, none of us can claim to be perfect. And we will never have a perfect world while that evil lies within us. But what are we to do? We can't fight this evil alone...

But we are not alone. The One stands with us in this fight. And in his glory, he has decided to help us. He is not coming today, or tommorow. Maybe not even this year. But he is coming. And when he arrives, the world will change.

Those of us that fight against the evil in ourselves, will be cleansed, and ascend to become paragons of our race. We will be pure. Those of us that accept the evil, will die. The world will be reborn again, perfect.

Praise The One"

The crowd replies, loud and triumphant.

"Praise the One!"
The Sermon returns to more casual matters...

ImperatorAlpha
2010-11-20, 02:19 PM
Captain Conway Bellorum D.S.
Conway makes his way over to where his colleagues in the Officer corps are breakfasting, collects his own meal and eats. He joins in the conversation, a discussion of the latest rumours going through the camp.

madeyegeorge
2010-11-21, 04:51 AM
arnold harnold
arnols says nothing. he didnt want to sit with anyone but there was no choice. he feels that when he is no longer in such a foul mood he should mention to someone in charge that there is a distinct lack of chairs in the corner for sullen (or suspicious) people to sit in alone.
he doesnt listen to the chatter around him, fools and infidels all.

Imperial Psycho
2010-11-21, 04:57 AM
Mikhael calls out to 'Noraloth' "Caine! Be on the Northern Path in a few hours! Orders from our 'Glorious Leader'"

Caloenas
2010-11-21, 09:39 AM
Curious as to why the blatantly insubordinate, seemingly-callous and baker-murdering Mikhael has been chosen as second in command and is ordering him about, Noraloth yells back "Which ways that, Micky?" In an attempt to lighten the mood and break the cold shell of the fighter.

Imperial Psycho
2010-11-22, 02:40 PM
The fighter barely registers that Caine has spoken. "North." He then moves to the mess hall, to find the rest of his 'unit'. They wouldn't have stood for such rag-tag groups in the Albaian military, oh no.

Caloenas
2010-11-22, 05:43 PM
Noraloth sighs and follows Mikhael to the mess hall.

razovor
2010-11-26, 11:57 AM
Mess Hall

Mikhael arrives in the mess hall, followed shortly after by Noraloth. Already in the hall are Conway, sitting with his fellow captains, and arnold, sitting alone by the edge of the room.

Philak
2010-11-26, 12:04 PM
Graz'nek sits in the inn wondering what will hapen to him if goblins ever catch him. (OOC: there happy now)

=WhiteKnight=
2010-11-27, 08:23 PM
Zeyt emerged from the throng of the mess Hall, having totally not engaged in any nefarious actions, and seeing Mikhael enter the Pavilion wandered over to where the others were gathering.

razovor
2010-11-28, 04:31 AM
Mess Hall

Hours pass. The mess hall slowly becomes more sparse. The sound of trumpets blow in the distance as the gathered armies leave for their homelands.

The ninth hour approaches. The adventurers gather their gear and head for the north pass.

Inn

A young boy, dressed in bolanion blue whispers something in the ear of Graz'nek's guard. The guard pokes graz'nek with the blunt of his sword. "You're needed at the north pass"

ImperatorAlpha
2010-11-29, 05:02 AM
Making his way to the northern paths, Conway looks out over the camp. The movement of so many men is no small task, and he swiftly spots several places where confusion is building up, resulting in delays to the departing armies. He shake his head in disgust. Why had the job of organising this mess gone to someone as incompetent as the chief of logistics, a man as famed for his lack of foresight and innumeracy as for his huge - inherited - wealth?
He suppressed the surge of irritation - it would not do for the men to see that their officers were as weak as they were - and turned back to the forest before him.

razovor
2010-11-29, 05:24 AM
The North Pass

Waiting for the adventurers is Captain Lucas, still wearing his golden chainmail, the symbol of The One plain on his shirt. He is accompanied by four other Divine sentinels, recognisable by the varying colours of the symbols on their shirts.

Standing just behind them all is a sixth figure. An incredible man, with glorious wings, like that of an eagle. He introduces himself as Antoni Woźniak, one of the fabled Divine Guardians of the One.

When all the party have finnally arrived, Captain Lucas speaks proper;

"I am Captain Lucas Brandt. One of the divine sentinels. Most of you have likely heard of our order, but i will go over it now, for the sake of the goblin.

One of the divine sentinels turns to Graz'nek with a threatening stare

"We are a religious order, working under the Divine Guardians. We serve the interests of The One, rather than any nation. We accept only the best into our ranks. Many Divine sentinels have gone on to become legends.

Your latest mission was from us. We have been considering you for our order for a while now. Your success was impressive. We'd like to formally invite you into our order.

It's a promotion of sorts. It's more dangerous than the regular army, but far more rewarding. We have access to some of the best weapons and equipment in the world. Ontop of the rewards your'll likely find on the job. Your'll be working in this team almost all of the time. Captain Conway will be leading the squad.

So, thoughts?"

Imperial Psycho
2010-11-29, 05:58 AM
Mikhael knew full well about the Divine Sentinels. For all their Pomp and high talk, they were there at the burning of Dunar, like everyone else. As the name of the organisation is mentioned, Mikhael flicks the dagger hidden in his Wrist sheath into his hand. One quick strike, and the man would be dead. But no. He would be killed in seconds, and those on his 'team' would no doubt fall shortly after. Paladins had the tendency to jump to conclusions, for all their good intentions. He carefully returned the dagger to it's sheath.

Instead, Mikhael turned on his heel and stormed off, throwing off the Ebartian surcoat he wore.

madeyegeorge
2010-11-29, 11:14 AM
arnold

[roll0]

Caloenas
2010-11-30, 12:13 PM
Noraloth
"With all due respect Captain, while I'm sure we are all...while I'm sure Captain Bellorum is honoured that you believe us worthy of becoming Divine Sentinels, I don't think we have proven ourselves."

"We have only been on 3 missions, not including Graz'nek, and we failed the first one. Not to mention we work together about as well as a tree and a cat on fire. Zeyt is still going through puberty, Arnold doesn't know how to use capital letters, Graz'nek's a goblin (not racist) and I'm pretty sure Picard's some sort of terrorist with a giant chip on his shoulder. The only one possibly suitable is Stort and he worships Dy-Cor!"

There is a brief silence after his pseudo-rant thing.

"Anyway...you might want to ponder this a bit further is all"

Noraloth picks up Mikhael's surcoat and puts it on Stort for safekeeping.

razovor
2010-11-30, 05:47 PM
Captain Brandt replied to Noraloth;

"This order was founded by the Divine Guardians, who were chosen by the Prophet Raulin himself. They rose to become great legends, but Raulin never chose them for their strength, or loyalty. When he chose them they numbered a rival king, a rival general, an assassin, a beggar, a thief, a pirate, a whore, a beast chief and the high-priest of another religion.

What he saw in them was not what they were, but what they would become. The One had chosen them for great work. And that leaves a mark.

Captain Brandt stops to let Antoni Wozniak continue;

"A mark Raulin could sense. One of the many privaleges of being a prophet. One of the many gifts he granted to the Divine Guardians. You all bear that mark.

As did Captain Brandt, and everyone of us. We have a perfect record. Everyone to have ever joined the divine sentinels has proven himself worthy of the position."

Antoni turned to the divine sentinel at his left; "Jonas, see that Mikhael doesn't get hanged for desertion."

Jonas replies, his fangs easily visible when he opens his mouth; "Yes Sir" and pushes past the adventurers after Mikhael.

Caloenas
2010-12-01, 02:31 PM
Noraloth

"Why did you send us on a mission and consider us before making us Sentinels, if you know we are 'marked'? Didn't you know for sure?"

Noraloth has always been questioning of people in high places. "Power corrupts" as his dad once told him.

razovor
2010-12-01, 02:48 PM
"There are a lot of different roles that sentinels play. We have a lack of small bands like your own, so we wanted to see how well you work as a team. If you had failed the test, we would have had to review you all seperately. Which would take considerably longer."

"But you didn't fail. You may not have been a shining symbol of perfection, but you compliment each other well."

madeyegeorge
2010-12-02, 05:36 AM
arnold
words caught in arnold's throat.
i....it would be an honour sirs...to acc...

he closed his eyes and stopped, shaking his head.

no. i cant do it, i cant work for them, they... they're...

he stopped himself.

i'm sorry

he did not appear to apologising to the sentinels, or indeed anyone present. he too dropped his cloak and walked off after mikhael.

=WhiteKnight=
2010-12-02, 09:42 AM
Zeyt

Zeyt watched this .. interesting exchange .. between the Divine Sentinels and the raggedy band of emotionally unstable, disunified, internally frictious weirdos he'd been forced into company with.

He had listened to all that had been said most intently, despite the blanked, indifferent expression he showed. If there had been a flicker or wavering from this facade it would have been in response to Captain Lucas' detailing of the 'opportunity' he was presenting to them.

"..It's more dangerous than the regular army, but far more rewarding. We have access to some of the best weapons and equipment in the world.."

Danger; Reward? Good Weapons and Equipment .. a chance to gain .. everything .. to finally .. hmm

As Jonas strode past him Zeyt considered following. Mikhael's response had been almost unsurprising, though to storm off as he did with such little regard for the consequences seemed strange. As Arnold blabbered most embarressingly through his incoherent waffle and then followed suit, it would seem for the balancing of the situation best if he remained. A mass desertion right infront of the Divine Sentinels would not endear them, though it would show this Captain Conway up to be incompetant and uninspiring as a leader. Would that serve in Zeyt's interests though?

Zeyt pondered this; waiting for one of the Sentinels to respond to Arnold's display of ... specialness. However, knew better than to speak; The 'Grey Man' approach was always better, he had found. He would stick around, for now, if only to hear the remainder of what these Powerful warriors had to say.

Caloenas
2010-12-02, 11:23 AM
Noraloth

Noraloth picks up arnolds coat and puts on Stort to add it to his collection he had just started.

"I don't think this can work Captain. For whatever reason, a third of are team has left and they were are main front-line fighters. Because of this me and Stort see that the only option is to decline your gracious offer and join my compadres."
"Unless, of course you 3 have something you want to add". He gestures at Zeyt, Conway and Graz'nek.

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-02, 01:55 PM
"Well, obviously I'm already in, but I believe we can best serve the interests of the people by accepting. It's not a choice I can - or will - force on anyone, though, so you are free to go if that is what you want. The Divine Sentinels offer us a great opportunity though, and can call on far more resources than we could alone. I'm sure they can make up the numbers."
He turns to his superiors. "I presume this is correct, my lord."

razovor
2010-12-02, 02:39 PM
Captain Lucas Brandt, Divine Sentinel

"We have the men to make up the numbers, but that won't be necessary. The band doesn't have to be six men. A smaller band should be able to work well with only one front-line combatant. In truth, three may have been too many."

One of the sentinels speaks up; "Should we send someone after the elf."

"No need. Jonas has a keen eye. He'll spot him."

Caloenas
2010-12-05, 02:37 PM
Noraloth

"Can I leave at any time?"

razovor
2010-12-05, 05:38 PM
Brandt looks confused. "umm.... yes... most people tend to stay on until they retire."

"There was that woman last year...."

"Isabella Scott"

"Ah yes, that was the name. She left the sentinels to become a castellan up in norway."

"Indeed. Most people don't leave though. The position is very rewarding."

Caloenas
2010-12-06, 02:50 PM
Noraloth

"I suppose I'll join then"

Noraloth quickly stuffs the surcoats under his robe/armour and whistles to himself.

Caloenas
2010-12-08, 03:57 PM
Noraloth

Everybody seemed to stand in silence for what felt to Noraloth like days, he could even sense the tumbleweeds rolling around. Why was no-one talking? Had Noraloth said something? Or brought up a painful memory? Perhaps this 'Isabella' was a woman who managed to seduce all the captains, rob them and set their houses on fire? Maybe they wanted their surcoats back?

Breaking the silence, Noraloth turns to Brandt.
"So, assuming everyone here is joining, do you have anything for the four of us? Possibly in Norway?"

razovor
2010-12-08, 04:34 PM
Divine Sentinels

"Norway? i don't believe there are any ships leaving from there...

One of the divine sentinels speaks up. He's the only one of the gathered sentinels wearing a helmet, and bears no symbols on his armour.

"I've got the list here sir, give me a moment to check".

The sentinel draws a document from his pocket, and begins browsing through.

Brandt turns back to Noraloth.

"Besides, we have to hold the consecration before you can start taking missions."

"Well... it's really more of a formality. Simple vows will suffice. You can give those now if you want."

"We may as well have the consecration. It'll take a day to prepare the uniforms anyway.

The helmeted sentinel gestures over his shoulder.

"They're in the cart"

Brandt is silent for a while.

"So... Consecration?

=WhiteKnight=
2010-12-09, 05:12 PM
Zeyt

Zeyt decided now was his time to speak up.

“Sirs, if I may make comment prior to this formality.

I was conscripted into this group to assist in the mission that was given. That has since been completed. This special service does not seem to be one I can make further commitment to.

Therefore I politely decline your invitation and so will return to the camp”

With that and a short bow the Zimp turned and left - prudently making haste with his natural ability of speed.

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-09, 05:29 PM
"That leaves three of us. I hope we won't lose any more." He turns to look quizzically at his remaining comrades.

razovor
2010-12-09, 06:52 PM
One of the sentinels speaks up. He has a short build, a brown ponytail and green eyes.

"Oh... i was kind of hoping it would be the goblin who would leave next"

The last sentinel speaks up. He stands a massive seven feet tall, a great hammer strapped to his back.

"You know, boss... the high priest here seems a bit picky. I don't think he'll consecrate a goblin."

"Really? I'll have to have a word with him. Not know though. We'll skip the consecration. Edrick, the uniforms?"

"Yesh boss"

Edric retrieves the uniforms form the cart, one humanoid, one goblin size. He passes them to Noraloth and Graz'nek

"Excellant. Your'll need to wear these all the time. Especially you goblin. We don't want any angry village mobs trying to kill you. Theres also the rings. They're more subtle, in case you need to go undercover."

Antoni passes the party their rings, and turns back to the helmeted sentinel.

"Leon, where are they headed?"

"Norway is out i'm afraid, the last ships from there left yesterday. Bretagne is the main place left. The ships there are still waiting for the armies that just left"

"Brittany it is. Your presence is require in the crusades. You are to join with the navy in Bretagne, and sail their forthwith"

"Ha. If they go there now, they'll arrive weeks in advance. The army is going by foot, with heavy supplies, and the ships are going to wait for them."

Brandt turns to the party.

"We will provide maps, and supplies to get you through the journey. We have a quartermaster here if you'd like to buy some better quality weapons before you leave. You should have two months to reach Brittany. On horse-back you can probably make it in half that.

"You are free to choose what to do with the rest of your time. Your uniforms will allow you to demand compensation from any noble, for services provided. They are also legally obliged to provide you with shelter, and food."

"Very well. Leon, the vows?"

The Helmeted guard approaches the party. He turns to Noraloth, then Graz'nek and asks each a series of questions;

"Noralothcarigascent Caine, do you accept the title of Divine Sentinel of the One? Do you promise to uphold the honour and reputation of the title? To fight with valour, mercy and honour? To follow the One when his will is clear, and your heart when it is not?"

"Phil Graz'nek, do you accept the title of Divine Sentinel of the One? Do you promise to uphold the honour and reputation of the title? To fight with valour, mercy and honour? To follow the One when his will is clear, and your heart when it is not?"

Leon turns finnally to Conway

"Captain Conway of the divine sentinels, do you accept these men as your companions in arms? Do you promise to teach them as they teach you? To protect them as you protect you? To pick them up when they fall, and be beside them while they stand?"

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-10, 11:53 AM
"I do."

Caloenas
2010-12-10, 02:51 PM
Noraloth

"I do."

razovor
2010-12-13, 12:28 PM
Graz'nek

"I do"

Divine Sentinels

Captain Brandt smiled. "Welcome to the Divine Sentinels. You've received your orders. Good luck"

The divine sentinels pack up the spare uniforms, and leave. Antoni leaves and a run, and leaps up into the air, wings carrying him high above the camp.

Graz'nek

"We still have lots of loot left to sell. There should be a quartermaster somewhere in camp. Maybe we should wait until tommorow to start the journey? Meet you both in the Dancing Pony tavern at dawn?

Caloenas
2010-12-13, 03:23 PM
Noraloth

To Graz'nek"But doesn't the quartermaster give us everything for free? Lets just keep it all for now"
"I'm gonna see if Micky and the lot are still around"

Noraloth wanders towards the area he believes his ex-crew were staying.

razovor
2010-12-13, 03:46 PM
Noraloth arrives at Mikhaels tent, to find an Indurian soldier taking it down.

The soldier claims not to know this 'Mikhael'. She saw someone clearing out the tent and decided to claim it. After clearing out the tent, the man wandered off towards the eastern gate.

Caloenas
2010-12-13, 04:23 PM
Noraloth

"Thank you"

Noraloth gos to the eastern gate and asks the guard(s) stationed their if they had seen any of the crew.

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-13, 04:34 PM
Returning to the camp, Conway made his way to the map room, to study the lands they would soon be passing through. He also sought to find information on the history of his own order, looking for details on the crusades.

razovor
2010-12-13, 05:07 PM
Map Room

Conway finds some very good documents in the map room. The party are currently in Sachsen/Saxony. The fleet waiting for them is in Bretagne/Brittany.

More details maps are available once the route has been planned on a regional level.

Map of Europe:
http://www.europeetravel.com/images/maps/europe-political-large.gif

Map of France by Region:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/France_departements_regions_narrow.jpg

Map of Germany by Region:
http://www.map-of-germany.org/germany-map-800.jpg

History of the Crusades
The Crusades in question are the human, elven and dwarven crusades against the beasts, during the third and fourth ages.

First crusade
The first series of crusades was led by the Prophet Raulin of the One. These were crusades against the beasts of europe. Only humans took part in these crusades, united by Raulins rule.

The first crusades ended with the liberation of Belarus. This linked the human and half-elven nations by land. The half-elfs joined the humans in their crusade, starting the second wave.

Second Crusades
The second crusade was led by Raulin again, with half-elven, elven and eventually dwarven assistance. These crusades were concentrated on asia and africa, liberating much of north africa, and cutting a line all the way through asia to the elves.

The second crusades ended with the liberation of cameron. There was still a sizeable beast threat in asia/africa, but it was deemed small enough to warrant a reassignment of forces.

Third crusades
The third crusade started after Raulins disappearance. They were led by a joint force of the humans, elves, dwarves and half-elfs, with the rulers of the three human empires acting seperatly. The divine sentinels fought with all the allied nations, against the beasts.

The crusade was centered against the american beasts. The crusaders swept down from the north, eventually taking all of north america. The humans were allowed to keep that land, with south america promised to the other races.

After the second crusade
Another crusade was never launched against african/asian beasts. Officials are more interested in american land, which is far easier to obtain. Nonetheless there were several precautions taken to ensure the remaining beasts proved no threat.

The Volvograd line, which blocks the beasts invading north in ebartia, is generally considered impregnable, the greatest defensive fortification ever build. The first beast charge against the line; the battle of Volvograd, is legendary. Estimates put the beast casualties at 100 to 1

East Gate

The guards at the gate report that they have not seen anyone by the description of Mikhael or arnold.

They did spot the divine sentinel, Jonas. Jonas was following someone, but they didn't see who. He seemed to be going east, but the guards wern't paying much attention. They don't remember the sentinel returning.

Caloenas
2010-12-14, 01:42 PM
Noraloth

"Jonas didn't return? How strange. Thanks for the information"

Noraloth runs to the quartermaster/arms-master/blacksmith for a snazzy spear or something similar.

razovor
2010-12-14, 03:43 PM
Noraloth

The blacksmith offers Noraloth a masterwork spear, the head crafted from a dwarven metal known as 'steel'. The spear costs an expensive four-hundred and fifty gold. After counting his money, Noraloth finds he has somewhere around nine-hundred and eighty coins.

Caloenas
2010-12-14, 04:17 PM
Noraloth

"YAY!" Noraloth joyfully skips out the shop in a random direction, playfully twirling his spear.

Philak
2010-12-15, 02:13 PM
Graz'nek wonders into the blacksmith to find some form of armor better than the rotten leather he has draped around him.
"Hmm so whats your best stuff for a goblin?"

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-15, 02:27 PM
Making his way to the farrier, Captain Bellorum collects his horse from the stables. He loads his bags onto the saddle and leads the horse round to the Divine Sentinel's Armourer.
"What do you have that is better than what I already have?"

razovor
2010-12-15, 05:11 PM
Conway

"Certainly Sir. I have full plate for fifteen-hundred gold. Theres breastplate for two-hundred gold. And i have a couple sets of masterwork breastplate, for three-hundred and fifty gold

If it's weapons you want, i have masterwork for three-hundred gold, and steel for one-hundred and fifty"

Graz'nek

"Goblin!" The shopkeeper screams, before regaining his control.

"Oh sorry, I didn't spot the uniform. You're a shaman right? You want armour? I thought armour got in the way of spell casting?

Caloenas
2010-12-15, 06:53 PM
Graznek

"Don't talk back fool!" Graznek dispenses acidic death on the shopkeep

Noraloth
Having a wave of brilliance, Noraloth sends Stort to track Jonas and to return when he finds him or gets bored.

"Hop to it now". With a growl of acknowledgement, the wondersaurus goes on his way.

razovor
2010-12-16, 05:18 AM
Noraloth

Stort returns as the sun reaches it's apex. He is growling, and beckons you to follow him.

Caloenas
2010-12-16, 11:46 AM
Noraloth

"What's that Stort? Zeyt fell down a well? We must save him! GOOOOOOO!"

Noraloth follows Stort.

razovor
2010-12-16, 01:07 PM
Noraloth

Stort leads Noraloth to the eastern gate, out of the camp, and across the fields beyond. About one minute out of view of the camp, Noraloth spots a body.

Stort runs to the body and starts poking it with his nose. As you approach you realise it is a human. A male, divine sentinel. Through the burns, and sword wounds you recognise it as Jonas.

Caloenas
2010-12-16, 01:21 PM
Noraloth

Seeing the body, Noraloth runs to the nearest guard/soldier on duty to inform him of the dead sentinel.

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-16, 01:29 PM
"I will buy a Masterwork Breastplate."
Conway leaves the armourer, and rides out into the streets. He heads east, away from the main camp.

razovor
2010-12-16, 03:59 PM
The guard runs off to mess tent to get more men. After a few moments a dozen men are prepared and leave to recover the body.

The stretcher arrives as the men finish preparing the body. The body is carried in through the east gate, past a huddle of soldiers. All the sentinels in the camp have already been informed, and have gathered to carry the body the rest of the way.

The body is taken to the temple, to be blessed by the residing priest, cleaned and prepared for burial. The sentinels are all present for the blessing, and remain behind to have a private prayer with Jonas.

While the body is off being cleaned, Antoni, the Divine Guardian, leaves to find a scribe. He returns a short while later, and tries to find the party...

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-16, 04:31 PM
Having heard the alarm, Captain Bellorum rides back into the camp. Quickly ascertaining what happened, he joins his colleagues in mourning the loss of one so valuable as Jonas.
On the termination of the ceremony, he returns to his tent to spend some time in solitary prayer.

razovor
2010-12-16, 05:03 PM
Conway

Antoni stops Conway as he approaches his tent

"Ah, found you. Sorry if this seems rude but timing is essential. We have no doubt that Jonas was murdered by Arnold and Mikhael, the two soldiers who gave up a position in the Divine Sentinels earlier today.

You spent a good few days with them, we need your help ... drawing their pictures for the wanted posters...."

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-16, 05:10 PM
"I would be only too happy to help bring these murderers to justice, but artistic ability is hardly my forte. I could, however, describe them to you."

razovor
2010-12-16, 05:17 PM
Conway

"That will do fine. My man, Peters, here is easily one of the best artists in the camp."

Peters spends the better part of a few minutes working with Conway on the images. When he's done he passes them to Antoni

"Yes, these will do marvellously. I'll go find a mage. The General Wares office in london should be able to get this reproduced for us. Thank you. Good luck with your mission."

Antoni wanders off towards the village proper. The Scribe Peters returns to the south watchtower, to finish his drawings.

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-16, 05:32 PM
Leaving the tent, Captain Bellorum sends a messenger boy to find the other members of his group. They are told to meet him in a particular forest clearing they passed through on their return to the camp.

Caloenas
2010-12-17, 09:20 AM
Noraloth

As soon as he gets the message he heads to the meeting point

razovor
2010-12-18, 09:10 AM
Graz'nek

Graz'nek arrives at the meeting point.

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-18, 09:12 AM
"We have a month to spare. I'm inclined to begin heading for the ports immediately. But there's one more important issue to discuss. I find it hard to believe that our erstwhile colleagues would cut down a Sentinel like that. Well, not Mikhael, but the rest of them."

razovor
2010-12-18, 09:28 AM
Graz'Nek

"Maybe it was bandits."

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-18, 09:57 AM
"I do not believe that bandits could have brought down a Sentinel unnoticed. Any band large enough to kill him before he could escape would not have escaped notice. Besides, we have enough circumstantial evidence to try, convict and hang the suspects."

Caloenas
2010-12-18, 10:50 AM
Noraloth

"What about Zeyt? Did he go with those two?"

razovor
2010-12-18, 12:51 PM
Graz'Nek

Ugh. Humans. Always fussing.

"It seems a good alternative to ending up in jail again. But either way, the sentinels aren't going to accuse a child.

"Theres not much we can do anyway. We don't have the money to hire a mage to find the real killer, and all the ones in camp will be busy. Maybe arnold was part of it. Maybe Mikhael tricked him into it.

Time for the clincher;

"If they're innocent, The One will protect them."

Caloenas
2010-12-18, 01:08 PM
Noraloth

"We should leave it. Its not our job to deal with them"

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-20, 05:16 AM
"Very well then. I suppose we had better be on our way shortly."

Philak
2010-12-20, 05:41 AM
Anyway it is only one sentinel, I'm sure the army will survive without him. So may we please leave the godforsaken camp before someone accuses me of being a spy again and tries to kill me.

Caloenas
2010-12-20, 11:35 AM
Noraloth

In memory of Zeyt, Noraloth kicks Graz'nek.

"I'm fine to leave now"

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-20, 12:40 PM
"If there's anything you need to collect, do it now, then we'll go."

Caloenas
2010-12-21, 10:12 AM
Noraloth

"I believe I've got everything"

ImperatorAlpha
2010-12-22, 10:02 AM
"Lets go then." Mounting his horse, a white charger, he sets out.

Caloenas
2010-12-22, 10:43 AM
Noraloth

Noraloth gets on his horse, hauls Stort on, then follows Conway laughing to himself that no-one bothered to listen to Graz'nek.

razovor
2011-01-02, 08:05 AM
22nd to 24th April

The party mount up, and ride out the camp. They follow the western road all day, heading for the region of Thuringia. Before night fall, they catch side of one of the human armies, in the horizon, but they have to stop before they catch up.

The party rest for the night in some abandoned ruins. A lot of mould around, but there are still a few structures with roofs.

http://www.bibleplaces.com/images/Cave_of_Adullam_tb_n021900.jpg

The party wake up, and water their horses from a small lake. At midday, the party catch up with the human army. The blue and red symbols on their armour give them away as Bolanions. The army is heading westward, half returning home, while the rest will join the crusade. The party ride with the army all day. At midday, they pass through into thuringia, the border marked only be a sign lying half-eaten by the side of the road. In the evening they are invited into the officers tent for a fine meal.

http://pinoycitizenjourn.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/feast.jpg

The next day, the party leave the army behind. Travelling with heavy gear and without sufficient horses, they will only slow the party down. The party continue west, through Thuringia, towards Hesse. In the evening, when the sun is preparing to set, they come across the river Saale.

Expecting to cross at the main bridge, they find their route blocked by flooding. The river has broken it's banks and taken the bridge with it. It flows fast and strong, threatening to pull under anyone who would cross it.

The river flows from the southern hills, down into the plains to the north. As far as the eye can see, there is no-where safe to cross.

http://www.glenncounty.com/images/Sacto%20River.jpg

What do you do?

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-02, 11:27 AM
"Well, that was unexpected. Which way along the river do we go?"
He checks the map, and considers going upstream, to find the origin of the flood, and, more importantly, where the river would be much thinner.

Caloenas
2011-01-04, 03:01 PM
Noraloth

"I have an oar and a bucket, perhaps I could sail across"

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-04, 05:35 PM
"We can't just consider ourselves though. There is an army following us, that will not find it as easy."

Caloenas
2011-01-05, 11:06 AM
Noraloth

"Nonsense, they have more men and resources. They could probably make a bridge."

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-05, 11:51 AM
"True enough. I think our best hope lies upstream. Any disagreements?"

Caloenas
2011-01-05, 11:59 AM
Noraloth

"Fine by me"

razovor
2011-01-06, 04:46 PM
You all gain a level. You are now Level 2 (I'll accept new sheets by skype, email or posted in the Ooc)

April 24th to 25th

You turn south, and follow the river upstream into the foothills of Waldstein mountain range. A light path follows along beside the river, it is barely walked, but shows signs of use.

After a few hours, the area starts to become more heavily forested. At first it's no trouble, but soon the path starts to narrow, and you are forced to ride double and then single file.

The path meanders a little, but it remains within view of the river. As the day progress, the river visibly grows in strength and size. It's gradual, but over the hours it's a noticeable effect. You continue along the path all day, expecting the river to die down, but it does not.

You set up camp under the stars, and rest.

In the morning, you continue your journey.The river seems much the same. At a few points, the river has swelled so much as to cut across the path, forcing you to wet your shoes crossing it. At midday, the river intersects with another smaller stream. Expecting the river to be weaker now, you rush through the trees to inspect it. After the stream, the river is weaker, but still not enough for a crossing.

You continue another hour along the path, hoping to find a crossing point before the river regains it's strength, but you can not find one. You are considering turning back, as progress upstream seems only to make things harder, when Graz'nek spots a fire, down the path.

On closer inspection, the fire comes from a village. A small settlement, no more than three hundred people, clustered around the river. The path ends here, you can still go further upstream, but it must be on foot, the horses can't cope with such steep terrain.

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-10, 02:03 PM
We will head for the village.

razovor
2011-01-10, 02:58 PM
The village is up a small hill. The river flows down from a ledge above, leaps through the air, and lands in a small lake on the southern side of the village. From there it cuts through the centre of the village, and down into the forest beyond.

The river has clearly burst it's bounds. The village is flooded with water, up to knee height by the river bank. The river itself is a torrent of water, cutting the village in half. Several houses have collapsed under the torrent, the villages wooden bridge has been rent asunder.

The path takes the party away from the river, up into the eastern side of the village. The villagers are clustered at the western and eastern sides, in hastily constructed tents, and what remains of their homes, trying to stay dry.

As the party approach, all eyes turn to them. A short bald man, with an air of authority, turns to greet them.

"Hail. Are you an advance unit for the army?"

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-10, 03:13 PM
"Why do you ask?"

razovor
2011-01-11, 09:01 AM
We heard their was an army moving through these parts. If the rivers half as swelled down at the main road as it is here, they're not going to be able to cross it.

I don't what has caused this flooding, but it ain't natural. If the armies got anyone smart commanding it, they'll realise the source is upstream.

We appreciate the support, but we don't have the food to feed ten thousand men. And it's not like they can go any further anyway. Armies can't climb mountains."

Caloenas
2011-01-15, 08:28 AM
Noraloth

"Then, I suppose we better deal with this for the army"

razovor
2011-01-15, 08:36 AM
"You want to climb the mountain?"

The man looks the party up and down

"You certainly seem well armed, but it's going to be danged hard without the right gear. We've got none we can spare."

Caloenas
2011-01-15, 09:46 AM
Noraloth

"I have some rope and a climb skill of 6 some climbing ability, that'll have to suffice"

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-15, 01:16 PM
"I am not so skilled, but should be able to make it through,"
Thanks to ACP, Climb is -4, if w/out ACP, it would be 2, so still not good :smallannoyed:

Caloenas
2011-01-15, 01:28 PM
Noraloth

"I could try climbing up and then hoisting you three up, though I only have 50ft of rope"

Noraloth faces the villagers. "Can you show us the easiest way up?"

razovor
2011-01-16, 01:42 PM
"Easiest route? Umm....

The bald man turns to yell over his shoulder.

"Jerick!"

A young, brown haired man walks out one of the nearby tents, and jogs over to the bald man.

"Yes sir?"

"These folk want to know the fastest way up the mountain.

"You'd need ranger Paul for that sir"

"He's still stuck on the other side of the river. You've been training under him, surely you know something?"

"A little bit sir, I'll see if there are any dry maps.

Jerick returns to his tent. After a few minutes he emerges with a scroll and table.

"It's a bit old, but should do."

Jerick puts the table down in the dirt, and stretches out the scroll.

Let's see. First you need to cut south-east through the forest"

"The forest, can't you just go straight up the river?

"There are no safe cliff-faces anywhere along that way. If you cut through the forest you should reach a safer cliff, here."

Jerick indicates on the map.

"After that, theres no-where safe to climb for days. But this is an old city."

"That was abandoned centuries ago"

"But, it's still standing. along with most of it's structures. They should be able to find a way through the cliffs if they use the city"

"I suppose. Just... be careful, there could be bandits there. Where next?"

Up onto the next plateau, and then... Hmmm, the eastern side is too hazardous, but if they cross the river they should have better luck on the west."

"They can't cross the river while it's in this state, that's the whole reason they're here!"

"There is a bridge. A rope one, but high above the river, the flooding can't have damaged it."

"Rope? That hardly sounds stable"

"It's all we've got. From there they should be able to scale up to the last plateau, and then up to the top."

Jerick finishes inking out the path with his quill, and passes the map over to the party.

http://i54.tinypic.com/11grnnl.png

Caloenas
2011-01-16, 02:41 PM
Noraloth

"This looks like our only option, Conway"

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-16, 04:52 PM
"Let us go then. Wish us luck."

razovor
2011-01-16, 06:26 PM
"May the One watch over you"

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-17, 02:17 AM
"And over you and your village." The words are spoken with a glimmer of power, as though they truly mean something, and are not merely a phrase, an automatic reply to an automatic statement.

We make our way to the place indicated, and begin climbing (I assume).

razovor
2011-01-17, 04:24 PM
25th to 26th April

The villagers gather to wave you goodbye. You march off stolidly into the forest, following the apprentice rangers instructions. After a good day, you spot the cliff-face he mentioned. It's noticeably smaller the surrounding cliffs, and has a few outcroppings that could be used as hand holds.

It is still however, massive. At least 100ft high. It is getting dark, so you decide to camp for the night and decide attempt the climb in the morning. You wake as the sun rises, prepare you gear, and begin the climb.

Everyone roll a climb check

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-17, 04:25 PM
[roll0]
Arrgh

Caloenas
2011-01-17, 05:12 PM
[roll0]

all good?

no

Philak
2011-01-23, 06:35 AM
Roll(1d20)+0:
20,-2
Total:18

Wooo

razovor
2011-01-23, 07:44 AM
The party put on their gear and begin to climb. Noraloth climbs up first. After twenty feet he finds a good ledge, and stops to nail a coil of rope into the cliff-face.

With rope secure, Conway takes hold and climbs up after him. Graz'nek follows after him. All is going well until, a few feet from the ledge, Conway glances down to check on Graz'nek's progress. Not looking where his hands are, Conway accidentally grabs a rock rather than the rope, and grazes his hand.

The sudden pain of the rocky outcrop shocks him, such that his other hand flies free. Conway slips, and falls off the rope hurtling towards the ground! :smalleek:

At the last second, graz'nek kicks of from the wall, and swings out to grab Conway's foot. Graz'nek almost falls himself, but manages to keep hold, and hauls Conway back to the rope. The two ascend to the ledge.

Roll climb again :smalltongue:

ImperatorAlpha
2011-01-23, 09:17 AM
[roll0]
Is this forum trying to get me killed?

Caloenas
2011-01-24, 10:51 AM
Noraloth

[roll0]

razovor
2011-02-03, 05:03 AM
April 26th to 29th

The party successfully climb the cliff without incident. After a short rest, the party gather up their climbing gear, pack it away, and head South-west, towards the abandoned city.

They spot the city after the first day, a massive collection of ruined buildings, towers, churches and forts nestled in the next cliff face

The party journey three days to the city. The gatehouse is blocked by rubble, so the party and enter through it's crumbling walls. The party follow the rangers advice, and head for the cliff face, looking for a way up the houses which dot across it's surface.

Roll a reflex check.

Caloenas
2011-02-03, 05:20 AM
Noraloth

[roll0]

Reflex isnt my thing

ImperatorAlpha
2011-02-03, 01:05 PM
[roll0]
Reflex is definitely not mine.

razovor
2011-02-14, 03:39 PM
Graz'nek

Reflex: [roll0]

You feel a slight shockwave rippling through the ground, the shock-wave itself doesn't deter you, but that can't be said for the old city buildings.

A large tower stands just across the street from you. Made from stone thousands of years old, moss and mold cover it's surface. The tower has been on the point of collapse for years. The shock-wave takes it over the edge.

The tower tips, and falls towards you. Noraloth and Graz'nek leap aside, but Conway is not so lucky. He is hit full force by a falling block, and takes 9 damage.

Conway is pinned under the block.

Caloenas
2011-02-15, 11:35 AM
Noraloth leaps over to Conway to shove the block

Strength check?

[roll0]

ImperatorAlpha
2011-02-15, 11:55 AM
I try to help him by pushing from underneath.
Strength check:
[roll0]

ImperatorAlpha
2011-03-12, 05:10 AM
After hours of attempting to lift the block, the GM wanders along and decides it is finally moved out of the way.