PDA

View Full Version : Question on "Up the Walls" Psionic feat

Drothmal
2010-11-17, 06:21 PM
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/psionicFeats.html#up-the-walls

UP THE WALLS [PSIONIC]
You can run on walls for brief distances.

Prerequisite: Wis 13.

Benefit: While you are psionically focused, you can take part of one of your move actions to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if you begin and end your move on a horizontal surface. The height you can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If you do not end your move on a horizontal surface, you fall prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for your distance above the ground. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring your movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; you can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as you move up the wall.

Special: You can take other move actions in conjunction with moving along a wall. For instance, the Spring Attack feat allows you to make an attack from the wall against a foe standing on the ground who is within the area you threaten; however, if you are somehow prevented from completing your move, you fall. Likewise, you could tumble along the wall to avoid attacks of opportunity.

Quick question: Can you use a run or a charge action to move more than your base speed while climbing up a wall?

I tried running up a 60ft shaft but the DM ruled that I must end every 30 ft on a horizontal surface in order to do that

Thanks!

Psyren
2010-11-17, 06:25 PM
Your DM is right - running and charging are full-round actions, not move actions. You can only use Up The Walls with a move action.

What you CAN do is boost your move speed so that you can move 60 ft. without needing a full-round action.

dsmiles
2010-11-17, 06:28 PM
Your DM is right - running and charging are full-round actions, not move actions. You can only use Up The Walls with a move action.

What you CAN do is boost your move speed so that you can move 60 ft. without needing a full-round action.

Yup. That pretty much covers it. (HINT: Casting Longstrider is a good start. Add the Dash feat, and Speed of Thought. Maybe some Boots of Striding and Springing.)

gbprime
2010-11-17, 08:41 PM
Yup. That pretty much covers it. (HINT: Casting Longstrider is a good start. Add the Dash feat, and Speed of Thought. Maybe some Boots of Striding and Springing.)

Haste, Expeditious Retreat...

Drothmal
2010-11-17, 09:14 PM
I guess I should have asked about it before taking the feat. It's still useful, but it'll take me a few levels to get the items and feats I need to make it pay off (which will be somewhat difficult since I had planned my feat selection for the next 4 lvls already, oh well, back to the calculation board)

Thanks to all!

Susano-wo
2010-11-18, 12:47 PM
/facepalm. that's laaaaame ><
especially since psionic charge is a prereq.
it does say move action, however
(though the spring attack clause seems to be trying to give a little wriggle room)
this makes me sad:smallfrown: