PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Seeking: Marruspawn as Characters

Kairyu
2010-11-17, 06:35 PM
Marruspawn are a caste-split race featured as monsters in Sandstorm p168-173. I've read through their entry as best I can, but am having trouble properly understanding the mechanics of possibly using one as a character. If at all possible, I would greatly appreciate who could summarize for me, simply, what a "base" Marrusault, Marrulurk and Marrutact would be. This includes all the basics for a racial entry: ability score adjustments, racial levels, ECL adjustments, natural and supernatural abilities, racial skill and ability bonuses, &c.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to your responces!

Last Laugh
2010-11-17, 06:47 PM
Everything you see is what you use as a base. The beginning ECL of a Marrulurk for instance is 4. 3 Racial hit die, +1 level adjustment. The Marrutact counts as a 10th level character (7 RHD +3 LA).

so if you made a Marrulurk that started at level 5 you could only have 1 level in a player class (rogue for example) and you do not gain skills/HP as a 1st level character (your first Monstrous Humanoid Hit die would be maxed, and you would gain 4x skills for that hit die)

You would have every ability listed in the Marrulurk entry. The racial Adjustments are (IIRC) +2 str, +6 dex, +4 con, +0 Int, +6 CHA, +4 wis. (these may be wrong, I think you just subtract 10 and then round down to the nearest multiple of two) which would be applied after pointbuy or statrolling

In addition you gain their racial abilities (racial skills, movement modes, special attacks)

Traits all Marruspawn have:
Fire resistance, Dessication resistance
Discriminating hearing, which reveals the presence of creatures within 30 ft, +4 listen
Low light vision.

Marrutact has every ability listed in the entry (same as marruspawn.) marrutacts are caster based and have to much RHD to be used as a caster. (level 6 wizard at level 11)

Marruspawn are in a similar boat. ECL 8 and the best thing about them is pounce. (level 1 barbarians can get this)

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

sonofzeal
2010-11-17, 06:47 PM
Ability score - take the listed ones, subtract ten if even, or 11 if odd.

Racial Skills - unless otherwise noted, none.

Racial Hit Dice - as listed

ECL - RHD, plus the listed LA. If there's no LA, they're unplayable.

(Ex)/(Su) abilities - as listed

Starbuck_II
2010-11-17, 06:48 PM
Marruspawn are a caste-split race featured as monsters in Sandstorm p168-173. I've read through their entry as best I can, but am having trouble properly understanding the mechanics of possibly using one as a character. If at all possible, I would greatly appreciate who could summarize for me, simply, what a "base" Marrusault, Marrulurk and Marrutact would be. This includes all the basics for a racial entry: ability score adjustments, racial levels, ECL adjustments, natural and supernatural abilities, racial skill and ability bonuses, &c.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to your responces!

First: All Marruspawn have LA and RHD.
Second: Due to the above, you rarely see anyone playing much but Marrlurk (lowest ECL).
Third:

We can't post that I don't think (unsure but isn't it copy writed), but we can point out how to achieve.
I'll only do Marrulurk:
You get 2 racial bonus feats (point blank/Rapid shot)
3 RHD (Monstrous Humanoid: means full BAB, Good Ref/Will saves)
Also all Marruspawn get the traits listed on page 169 (so Resistances to fire, awesome hearing, etc).
1 Level Adjustment
They get Assasin abilities (death attack, sneak attack, poison use), and a breath weapon.
You get 2 Natural armor and 1 size bonus to AC (they are small)
Str +2 Dex +6 Con +4 Int +0 Wis +6 Cha +4.
1 LA + 3 RHD = 4 ECL + any class levels if you want any.

Best I think I can post.

Last Laugh
2010-11-17, 06:50 PM
Best I think I can post.

Goodness, have I overstepped boundaries?
Off the reread forum guidelines....

Akal Saris
2010-11-17, 07:37 PM
I don't believe any of this oversteps boundaries. The intent is discussion of a product that the OP already possesses.