PDA

View Full Version : Protection from poison?

maysarahs
2010-11-17, 09:43 PM
In an adventure (Pathfinder), one of the players has homebrewed a class based loosely on the Alchemist, but that focuses on poisons, and increasing their save DC's (and lowering opponents). Our DM fully allows PvP, and the player has a habit of picking on me. So the question I pose to you, Playgrounders, is what can I do to protect myself from him?

P.S. One of his proposed tactics is to use eyes of charming and then asking me to eat some food he made for me.

Keld Denar
2010-11-17, 09:48 PM
Hero's Feast protects you from poisons for a full 12 hours. Unfortunately, its a 6th level cleric spell. Fortunately, you can get it relatively cheaply from a relic in the MIC (and you don't even need True Believer to get that power). Its called Cornacopia of the Needful. MIC page 155. 6000g market price.

maysarahs
2010-11-17, 10:11 PM
Is there anything that gives you immunity to poisons? (a ring or something?)
the heroes feast options sounds a little too risky. All he has to do is wait for a day I don't draw a grape cluster to attack. Also is there anything a battlefield control wizard can use in PvP? (he has immunity to poison else I'd try enervate + cloudkill) (last time we played his fighter5/war hulk5 never laid a finger on me, but at the same time, I didn't have anything to hurt him with either...)

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 10:31 PM
Well, if this is all without any real motivation, just kill him first by doing him in while he sleeps or at some other appropriate time, say, by benign transpositioning him and the fighter after the fighter charges into the thick of some melee brutes.

Necropolitan, if you don't have a great Con score could be worthwhile as long as you can find a source from which to get the ritual....

and you'd probably have to either A. make a pact with the rest of the party to protect you while this is happening or B. kill him and the rest of your party in order to have it happen and that's if your DM doesn't decide to be cute and have you killed but not have the ritual done on you.

A partial list from the lists of stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff).
Immunity to poison

Monk 11
Druid 9
Tattoed Monk 3, ecl 9, Complete Warrior, crane tattoo
Elemental Savant 9, ecl 14, Complete Arcane
Bone Knight 8, ecl 12, Eberron: Five Nations
Contemplative 5, ecl 15, Complete Divine
Scorpion Heritor 5, ecl 10, Sandstorm - only against scorpion poisons
Warforged, race, Eberron & Monster Manual 3
Necrocarnum Mantle, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Fiend Blooded 10, ecl 15, Heroes of Horror
Justice of Weald and Woe 10, ecl 16, FR: Champions of Ruin
Buer, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic
Serpent Slayer 3, ecl 9, FR: Serpent Kingdoms
Master of Vipers 1, ecl 10, FR: Serpent Kingdoms
Gatekeeper Mystagogue 3, ecl 8, Player's Guide to Eberron
Shadowcaster 15, Tome of Magic, sustaining shadow, see text
Child of Night 6, ecl 11, Tome of Magic, stacks with sustaining shadow, see text
Bone Knight 8, ecl 12, Eberron: Five Nations, plus other immunities
Seeker of the Song 4, ecl 14, Complete Arcane, all allies within 30', see text
Holt Warden 5, ecl 10, Complete Champion
Sanctified One 1 (Wee Jas), ecl 6, Complete Champion, for one minute per day
Vermin Keeper 3, ecl 8, FR: Underdark, organic poisons only
Pale Master 10, ecl 15, Libris Mortis
Haztaratain 7, ecl 12, Eberron: Secrets of Sarlona
Feast, domain, ???, against ingested diseases
Vow of the Spider Queen, feat, Drow of the Underdark
Demonbinder 7, ecl 12, Drow of the Underdark, even against magical poisons
Heart of Steel, warforged graft, Faiths of Eberron

So, yeah, quietly get support from others and kill him.

Also is there anything a battlefield control wizard can use in PvP? (he has immunity to poison else I'd try enervate + cloudkill) (last time we played his fighter5/war hulk5 never laid a finger on me, but at the same time, I didn't have anything to hurt him with either...)

immobilizing him and then enervating him to death or using a summon to kill him or offering to split the gold with the party beatstick if he splits the guy's melon open after you render him helpless.

Keld Denar
2010-11-17, 10:37 PM
If you are a BCer, you are probably a Conjourer. Abrupt Jaunt (Immediate Magic alt class feature in PHBII) is pretty much an amazing get out of jail free card. Look it up, its pretty much amazing.

Otherwise, a continuous item of Protection from Evil will keep him from commanding you even if he does manage to charm you. You could also nab Shape Soulmeld for Planar Ward from Magic of Incarnum which will do the same thing.

Otherwise, for the poisons, check this out (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#periaptofProofagainstPoison).

Dr.Epic
2010-11-17, 10:39 PM
Undead template: talk to your DM about maybe a homebrewed one that works in your favor since you know said DM approves the homebrewed.

ericgrau
2010-11-18, 02:26 AM
A potion of delay poison makes you immune for 3 hours for only 150 gp. At the end of the 3 hours, however, you better have a cure ready or another delay. But at least now you can use the cheap solution every day and when the poison finally does hit you use your more expensive cure.

The other solution is to fight fire with fire and become a poison user yourself. Be an alchemist or get poisons from a party alchemist. Now haste (e.g. from boots of speed or a spell) + TWF or rapid shot several attacks and watch as foes are bound to fail on one of those saves even if the DC is low and their modifier is high.

Volos
2010-11-18, 02:30 AM
Be a dwarf.

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 02:34 AM
the player has a habit of picking on me.

Oh, by the way, fix this situation.