PDA

View Full Version : Necromantic Adept (PEACH)

candycorn
2010-11-18, 05:45 AM
<Fluff Goes Here, work in progress>

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Feats: Extra Turning
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd-level divine spells.
Special: Must be able to Rebuke Undead, and be of a non-good alignment

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, Craft, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Sense Motive, Profession, Spellcraft

{table=Header]Level | BAB | Fort Save | Reflex Save | Will Save | Special | Spellcasting
1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Rebuke Undead | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
2 | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
3 | +1 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Visage of Death | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
4 | +2 | +4 | +1 | +4 | | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
5 | +2 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Spurn Death's Touch | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
6 | +3 | +5 | +2 | +5 | | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
7 | +3 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Chill of the Grave | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
8 | +4 | +6 | +2 | +6 | | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
9 | +4 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Greater Spurn Death's Touch | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class
10 | +5 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Ferryman's Toll | +1 Level of existing divine spellcasting class[/table]

Spells per Day:When a new Necromantic Adept level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of Necromantic Adept to the level of whatever other divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before he became a Necromantic Adept, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Necromantic Adept for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Rebuke Undead: Levels of Necromantic Adept stack with any levels in any other classes for determining the effects of Rebuke Undead.

Visage of Death: The character gains Darkvision with a 60 foot range. In addition, nonintelligent undead regard the Necromantic Adept as if he were undead also.

Spurn Death's Touch: Necromantic Adepts spend much time experimenting with negative energies, and become more skilled at resisting and countering their effects. Whenever a Necromantic Adept deals ability damage or drain via spellcasting, he may heal an equal amount of ability damage or drain to any creature within 30 feet.

Chill of the Grave: Any spell cast by a Necromantic Adept casts which deals negative energy damage may also deal an equal amount of cold damage. For a Necromantic Adept to use this ability, he must spend 1 Rebuke Undead attempt per level of the spell to be affected.

Greater Spurn Death's Touch: The Necromantic Adept's control over negative energy grows even greater. He becomes immune to Ability Damage, Ability Drain, and Energy Drain.

Ferryman's Toll: Any undead created by a Necromantic Adept is incredibly difficult to restore to life. Only a properly worded Wish or Miracle, followed by True Resurrection can restore such a creature to life. The undead, if not destroyed, receives a Will saving throw vs the True Resurrection. Success prevents the creature's return to life.

Mongoose87
2010-11-18, 09:35 AM
It's ok. Doesn't really seem strong enough to reduce the BaB and HD over.

candycorn
2010-11-18, 03:27 PM
It's ok. Doesn't really seem strong enough to reduce the BaB and HD over.

The total loss is 2 BAB and 10 HP over 10 levels, on average. I'd say that immunity to ability damage and drain is reasonable for that.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-18, 03:33 PM
Interesting, I am currently working on a necromancer class as well. While it's most likely horridly broken I have not got ANY replies so perhaps it's not as broken as I had thought.(Or perhaps so broken that it leaves prospective posters speechless?) It is a class made for arcane casters, though, but you may want to take a look at it for inspiration or idea generation.

My(WIP) Necromantic PrC, Master of the Undead Legion:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176413

Also, while this class is made strictly for divine you may want to open it up to more divine casters then just clerics or clerics and arcane classes with rebuke(which is the Dread Necromancer, and also the Death Master if the dragon. compendium is allowed in your group.)

candycorn
2010-11-19, 10:28 PM
Also, while this class is made strictly for divine you may want to open it up to more divine casters then just clerics or clerics and arcane classes with rebuke(which is the Dread Necromancer, and also the Death Master if the dragon. compendium is allowed in your group.)

There are a number of PrC's that grant the ability to turn undead. As the class is based on manipulating negative energy, I felt a Rebuke undead ability (which is directly channeling negative energy) appropriate.

DracoDei
2010-11-20, 02:22 AM
I don't think it is possible to return an undead directly to life, short of MAYBE a Miracle, and I KNOW True Ressurection won't do it.

This spell can also resurrect elementals or outsiders, but it can’t resurrect constructs or undead creatures.

You have to destroy them first, THEN return them to life...

Now there might be something in some splat-book that gets around this, but there isn't anything in Core I am pretty sure. I actually remember suggesting that a certain character be researching something along these lines for a setting someone was creating (centered around a specific city).

candycorn
2010-11-20, 08:27 AM
SRD, Types and Subtypes, Undead Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType)

Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

I'd say that the rules on this one are... unclear.

Morrolan
2010-11-20, 01:31 PM
Nice class, especially like Spurn Death's touch.
Ferrymans toll is also a good idea, not sure how it would work out ingame though.

Necromancy needs more classes! ^^