PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying problem [3.5]

Havriel
2010-11-18, 08:31 AM
Hi guys , I recently ran into a big problem.
Ill be playing bardish character ( not member of a bard class)
He starts as a Lawful Neutral , but over the course of the campaign , i expect him to become Chaotic Neutral .
The problem rose when i was stating the character.
He has INT:19
WIS:8
CHA:26

How should i roleplay him?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely yours

Havriel

Emmerask
2010-11-18, 08:45 AM
Hm how can you expect him to become chaotic?
This is something that should unfold based on the the situations he is in and the decisions he has to make.
Shoehorning your character into chaotic decisions because that is what you planned beforehand is in general not good roleplay :smallwink:

Duke of URL
2010-11-18, 08:52 AM
High intelligence, extremely high charisma, below-average wisdom...

Very clever. Quick witted. Has seen a lot and has learned from it. Is often the smartest guy in the room, but rarely comes across as such. Sometimes not as focused as he should be, can be distracted from a task because he is too busy socializing. Prone to committing oversights on occasion.

shadow_archmagi
2010-11-18, 08:55 AM
INT:19 WIS:8 CHA:26

how did you even manage that. A 26??

Anyway, I'd suggest watching an episode of Doctor Who; that seems like a good place to start. Brilliant and Charismatic but with poor judgment. This is the man who can design a trebuchet with pinpoint accuracy, convince the king to fund the construction of several hundred, and will do so in an attempt to streamline the bread industry.

Havriel
2010-11-18, 09:07 AM
Woah!!!
I wasnt expecting that good replies that fast. Thank you guys
To clarify some things:
Hell start as LN , because he has been in a monastery , and over the course of campaign i expect him as a part of his character development to change his views on some things he thought were truth

I got 26 cha through point buy , little optimization , and clever pick of templates:smallcool:. It may seem like much but his other stats are crap

I intended him to be something between Doctor Who( An awesome show indeed) and Indiana Jones , probably with some Batman mixed in

Hironomus
2010-11-18, 09:20 AM
the stats also kinda remind me of Gaius Baltar from battlestar galactica. Brilliant, and personable but easily distracted and often appears like abit of a fool or a braggart.

Mastikator
2010-11-18, 09:21 AM
He could start out very principled and be vocal about following rules, even to the point of it being an obstacle (his low wisdom can be used to justify him not seeing that), but then something terrible happens to him, like someone he cares about dies, and then he thinks "screw the rules, they couldn't save the ones I love". Kind of like Dr Who.
Though Dr Who probably has above average wisdom.

GoatBoy
2010-11-18, 09:26 AM
Always has a plan for everything. Never admits to being wrong. Fiercely defends personal beliefs and principles via well-rehearsed points, even in the face of overwhelming opposing evidence. Sees connections where they may not exist. Conspiracy theorist, probably has a few fans. Quick to blame special interest groups for society's ills. Gradually starts to focus on the inherent corruption in society itself as alignment shifts towards chaos. Eventually becomes a devoted hedonistic nihilist.

grimbold
2010-11-18, 10:31 AM
smart ADH-Hey look a butterfly charming guy maybe?

mucat
2010-11-18, 02:47 PM
Woah!!!
I wasnt expecting that good replies that fast. Thank you guys
To clarify some things:
Hell start as LN , because he has been in a monastery , and over the course of campaign i expect him as a part of his character development to change his views on some things he thought were truth

Changing his views won't necessarily change his alignment. If he still takes a systematic, structured approach to organizing his beliefs -- perhaps putting that high int to work: "This teaching no longer makes sense to me. After giving it a lot of thought, I now believe in this instead" -- then he's still thinking like a Lawful character. If he changes his whole instictive attitude -- perhaps now it's the low Wis talking: "Aw, what the hell; I'll make it up as I go along" -- then he's got a convincing case for a Chaotic alignment.

Quietus
2010-11-18, 02:52 PM
{Scrubbed}

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-11-18, 10:18 PM
When my characters have had low Wisdom, I've frequently played them as lacking in common sense. For example, I had a Bard with low wisdom, and his ally was almost ready to die. He stepped between two enemies and provoked attacks of opportunity from both of them in order to cast a cure spell. Occasional poor tactics can be a fun (if dangerous) way to play low wisdom.

Or, as became the catch phrase of another player I played with, "I'm going to do something stupid!"

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-18, 10:22 PM
{Scrub the original, scrub the quote}

/thread.... just /thread

Must resist temptation to sig.

dgnslyr
2010-11-19, 12:59 AM
Well, my two cp on it is that INT shows if you know how you can do things, WIS tells you when you shouldn't, and CHA gets other people to do it for you. So a clever, witty, talkative person who has a tendency to miss glaring flaws, maybe.

DragonBaneDM
2010-11-19, 01:57 AM
Why do I imagine a celebrity with ADHD?

grimbold
2010-11-19, 03:11 AM
Why do I imagine a celebrity with ADHD?

thats a good way to put it

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-11-19, 08:55 AM
Also, since Listen and Spot are based on Wisdom, I've seen low-Wisdom characters who are just horribly unobservant. When I had two of these in a group I was DMing for, I loved to make them roll Listen or Spot whenever I could, just to see how horribly they botched the checks. I think I saw negative results at least once.