PDA

View Full Version : Fey player races?

WinceRind
2010-11-18, 01:37 PM
I was wondering, are there any fey player races with LA+0 that wouldn't be out of place in a standard D&D 3.5 setting surrounded by the basic races like humans/dwarves/elves?

I think I came across a list of player races on this forum some time before, but I can't seem to find it again.

Either way, if you know about any fey races Small size or Medium with LA+0, can you relay me that knowledge!?

Thanks.

Greenish
2010-11-18, 01:39 PM
Killoren from Races of the Wild is the first that comes to mind. Medium-sized, humanoid physiology.

~Nye~
2010-11-18, 01:42 PM
There's a race of fey that can alter their appearance at will call the Sidhe but I think their LA+0, But that might be +1. Hope this helps.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-18, 01:46 PM
blue guys in Frost burn
green guys in Races of the Wild
black guys in Magic of incarnum

spirit folk from OA might be also.

no idea if they have LS but they are listed as races.

edit: shadar kai from Fiend Folio have a level adj but are pretty cool

Kaww
2010-11-18, 01:49 PM
JERMLAINE from MM2, has -6 str, +6 dex, -2 con, -2 int, +6 wis, -4 cha. It's tiny, it's only good as a CoDzilla...

There's also Gruwaar from Dragon magazine... It has +2 Dex +2 Cha –2 Str –2 Wis.

Psyren
2010-11-18, 01:50 PM
Dusklings in Magic of Incarnum (they are blue though - like everything else in the damn book - not black.)

WinceRind
2010-11-18, 01:50 PM
Killoren from Races of the Wild is the first that comes to mind. Medium-sized, humanoid physiology.

Oh ya, I remember those. But I'm thinkin' more of the butterfly wings or the sadistic Fair Folk kind of fey, if you know what I mean. Sure, some of that can be fitted to some types of elves, but, hey =p

Living under the hills, sort of neutral force that gets up to hunting people when it's bored but outside of doing that and occasionally stealing children doesn't care about good, evil, or much going on outside their homes for that matter.

Kinda like spirits that are neither exceptionally malevolent nor exceptionally benevolent. Just chaotic random at times, and at a pretty significant disconnect with most "normal' races.

I honestly can't think of any race similar to that in D&D. There must be one, but I'm not aware of it. I mean, it's a pretty significant mythological archetype and what not.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-18, 01:52 PM
Dusklings in Magic of Incarnum (they are blue though - like everything else in the damn book - not black.)

Ya that makes sense. I knew they were a dark color.

I could have just said the colored folk in every book. :smallwink:

Also i don't know any races that fit your archetype. tere are quite a few monsters (Redcaps, ect.) that sort of do. There is the unseelie court fey in the dragon compendium.

Kaww
2010-11-18, 01:57 PM
Oh ya, I remember those. But I'm thinkin' more of the butterfly wings or the sadistic Fair Folk kind of fey, if you know what I mean. Sure, some of that can be fitted to some types of elves, but, hey =p

Living under the hills, sort of neutral force that gets up to hunting people when it's bored but outside of doing that and occasionally stealing children doesn't care about good, evil, or much going on outside their homes for that matter.

Kinda like spirits that are neither exceptionally malevolent nor exceptionally benevolent. Just chaotic random at times, and at a pretty significant disconnect with most "normal' races.

I honestly can't think of any race similar to that in D&D. There must be one, but I'm not aware of it. I mean, it's a pretty significant mythological archetype and what not.

Lords and Ladies?

Greenish
2010-11-18, 02:05 PM
blue guys in Frost burnUldra (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040911a&page=1) have +1 LA.

gbprime
2010-11-18, 02:15 PM
Spirit Folk from Unapproachable East are another option. They don't have much going for them, though, not even a type or subtype change.

Tokuhara
2010-11-18, 02:46 PM
Uldra (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040911a&page=1) have +1 LA.

Uldra, a race, like so many, that doesn't earn its LA. Sure a spell-like ability (which flat-out sucks) and some minor other abilities, but seriously?

My list includes:

Drow- Maybe a 1 LA
Hobgoblin- 0. Seriously?!
Goblin- 0. See Hobgoblin
Mind Flayer- Screw the RHD. They get penalized as it is with the major LA, just let them be cool...
Chaos Gnomes- 0. Yes, a reroll is powerful (especially with the Luck, Pride domains, and Third Time's the Charm feat), but a little awkward for 1LA

Psyren
2010-11-18, 02:48 PM
There was a long thread on Hobgoblins. Consensus was they're too good for +0 but not good enough for +1.

Blues should be +0 :smallfrown:

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 02:51 PM
Well, there's the LA+0 version of feytouched (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)they created for their savage progressions online... and I think they did a half-fey (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a) savage progression as well.

cooperflood
2010-11-18, 05:23 PM
If your open to Homebrew, just use Frank and K's Feytouched.

Fey Type
30 foot movement rate
Low-Light Vision
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution. Feytouched are graceful and those which are not beautiful are terrifying, but they are fragile like flowers.
Immunity to [Compulsion] Effects
Magic Affinity: Every Feytouched is different, and marked by the signature magics of the fey in a different manner. Every Feytouched has one spell that can be used once per day as a spell-like ability. This spell is chosen at 1st level and cannot be changed. Any 1st level Illusion or Enchantment spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard list is fair game, and the save DC is Charisma-based.
Favored Class: Bard
Feytouched speak Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages may be selected from the following list: Aquan, Auran, Elvish, Draconic, Dwarvish, Goblin, Gnoll, Gnome, Halfling.
Level Adjustment: +0

Greenish
2010-11-18, 05:30 PM
Goblin- 0. See HobgoblinMost goblins are 0 LA. The exceptions being the aforementioned blues, and arctic goblins from Frostburn (and perhaps some other obscure subraces) who really, really don't deserve their +1 LA tags.

WinceRind
2010-11-18, 07:05 PM
If your open to Homebrew, just use Frank and K's Feytouched.

Fey Type
30 foot movement rate
Low-Light Vision
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution. Feytouched are graceful and those which are not beautiful are terrifying, but they are fragile like flowers.
Immunity to [Compulsion] Effects
Magic Affinity: Every Feytouched is different, and marked by the signature magics of the fey in a different manner. Every Feytouched has one spell that can be used once per day as a spell-like ability. This spell is chosen at 1st level and cannot be changed. Any 1st level Illusion or Enchantment spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard list is fair game, and the save DC is Charisma-based.
Favored Class: Bard
Feytouched speak Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages may be selected from the following list: Aquan, Auran, Elvish, Draconic, Dwarvish, Goblin, Gnoll, Gnome, Halfling.
Level Adjustment: +0

That looks pretty neat, although if I were DM'ing I'd make it LA +1 at the least... The stat bonuses are better then expected, and the immunity to compulsion effects beats a lot of basic races' attributes.
And SLA once per day sounds useful too, if somewhat situational.

Although it's an awesome race, I'd warrant that. Might talk about it with my DM, although I'd stick a -2 wis on it just to be fair. He's not really into homebrew, so it might be a bit futile.

Heliomance
2010-11-18, 08:46 PM

Yeah, but that archetype tends to come with a hefty chunk of eldritch power, hence LA.

Darrin
2010-11-18, 11:31 PM
From the Master Player Race List (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0):

Duskling: +2 Con -2 Int, medium, 30 ft., totemist, fey (incarnum), magic of incarnum pg.10

Faun: +2 Dex -2 Wis -2 Cha, medium, 30 ft., bard, fey, deities and demigods pg.133 (a lot of people miss this one... but then, well, it's very miss-able)

Jermlaine: -6 Str +6 Dex -2 Con -2 Int +6 Wis -6 Cha, tiny, 40 ft., rogue, fey, monster manual 2 pg.131

Killoren: none, medium, 30 ft., manifest nature's might (su), druid, fey, races of the wild pg.102

The Savage Progression Feytouched (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) has already been mentioned as well.

gbprime
2010-11-18, 11:58 PM
Faun: +2 Dex -2 Wis -2 Cha, medium, 30 ft., bard, fey, deities and demigods pg.133 (a lot of people miss this one... but then, well, it's very miss-able)

Very missable indeed.

Oh look, Fauns get a +2 on saves against musical effects, and it lists Otto's Irresistable Dance in the save bonus. Too bad there's no save on that one. Brilliant editing job.

Makiru
2010-11-19, 12:16 AM
No love for the Jaebrin (MMV)? Yes, it's +1 LA, but I think it earns that with what it gets. It gets a bite attack, the ability to fake being enchanted while being immune to them naturally, -2 Str/+2 Cha, a bunch of skill bonuses, and a pseudo-poison that forces a will save to not take a penalty on future will saves. They're tailor-made to be beguilers and certainly look the part of the sadistic Fair Folk. They were apparently the entertainers of the fey court, but were all exiled when the lords got bored of them when they built up their enchantment immunity.

Flickerdart
2010-11-19, 12:23 AM
Well, there's the LA+0 version of feytouched (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)they created for their savage progressions online... and I think they did a half-fey (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a) savage progression as well.
The half-fey prog doesn't have a +0 level because it's a template. It's one of the only LAs that are worth it though.