PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Spells as equipment

quiet1mi
2010-11-18, 01:43 PM
I was wondering how to incorporate wizard spells (copied from a spell book) into WBL...

Zeful
2010-11-18, 01:55 PM
I was wondering how to incorporate wizard spells (copied from a spell book) into WBL...

Spell level*50gp.

mucat
2010-11-18, 02:13 PM
Spell level*50gp.

I would call that way too cheap.

If I'm building a wizard or archivist above first level, I give them the usual number of free spells (usually 2 per class level, plus extras at first level), and beyond that, charge the cost of a scroll against their WBL (plus 100 gp per level for writing materials, if they don't have a Boccob's Book or the equivalent.)

This allows them a decent spell selection while still requiring some tough choices.

Zeful
2010-11-18, 02:25 PM

If I'm building a wizard or archivist above first level, I give them the usual number of free spells (usually 2 per class level, plus extras at first level), and beyond that, charge the cost of a scroll against their WBL (plus 100 gp per level for writing materials, if they don't have a Boccob's Book or the equivalent.)

This allows them a decent spell selection while still requiring some tough choices.

I agree, but them's the rules.

Volos
2010-11-18, 02:25 PM

mucat is correct. If you try to pay a fellow wizard for his spells, the base table for cost of spell services is not sufficient. He would want to send you on a quest for a rare herb or ask for alot more from you to give up on of his hard earned spells. If you happen to find a scroll of X in the local market, you could buy it and then make all the appropiate rolls to incorperate it into your spell book.

JonestheSpy
2010-11-18, 03:42 PM
Yes, they should be counted in with WBL, and yes 50gp x spell level is too cheap - and it's not the rules. To copy a spell is USUALLY 50 x gp, sayeth the SRD, which means it's whatever the DM wants. Not to mention the fact that that fee is just to copy the spell - materials cost to put it in your own spellbook is 100gp per level.

So 150gp x spell level minimum for those "interpret every rule in the wizard's favor" types. Not a huge amount, but for the "Batman wizard has spell for every occasion" types, that'll be a noticeable bite out your magic item budget.

Of course, one also has to take into account the possibility of failing one's spellcraft check when trying to copy a spell. I doubt most wizards loaning out their books give refunds.

Douglas
2010-11-18, 03:57 PM
Official RAW is:
1) Cost to gain access in order to copy is either cost of a scroll or 50*spell level gp.
2) Cost for materials to actually copy into your spellbook is 100*spell level gp

Total cost per spell: 150*spell level gp.

You must also acquire sufficient spellbook pages for your spells, but that's dirt cheap.

2 levels in Geometer reduces the materials cost to a flat 100 gp per spell due to each spell only taking 1 page, making the total per spell 50*spell level + 100 gp.

For spells in bulk at high levels, the materials cost per page can be replaced by one Boccob's Blessed Book (12500 gp) per 1000 pages.

Runestar
2010-11-18, 05:28 PM
Dragon 358 has arcane shorthand, a feat which halves the cost/space of copying a spell. :smallsmile:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-18, 05:33 PM
This ambiguity is why I like collegiate wizard + elven generalist + domain wizard. Free spells are freeeeeeee.

ericgrau
2010-11-18, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't let someone a la carte their spells for 150 gp x spell level. If they also pay spell level x caster level x 25 gp for scrolls on top of spell level x 100 gp then I would let them a la carte. For found books they're basically worth 100 gp x spell level, and sold for half after you copy them for 100 gp x spell level plus a lot of time. So that's 150 gp x spell level for random spells.

Rather than letting them roll up random spells you could compromise and let them a la carte everything for some price between SL x 150 and scroll + SL x 100.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-20, 12:41 PM
I will say that the spellcraft aspect becomes irrelevant fairly quickly. 1st level, DC is 16... meaning take 10 if you've got a +4 from Spellcraft and +2 from Int. 2nd level spells, the DC goes up to 17... but at 3rd level, you have a +6 ranks from Spellcraft, and so need only a +1 from Int to take 10. 5th level, you've got 3rd level spells, so DC 18... but you've got 8 ranks.