PDA

View Full Version : Is this the 2e tomb of horrors?

Ozreth
2010-11-18, 02:15 PM
When people talk about the ad&d 2e TOH is this what they are referring to?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61WFSMG358L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

hamlet
2010-11-18, 03:53 PM
No, there's no official 2nd edition version of Tomb of Horrors, though the original plays perfectly well in 2nd edition rules without any difficulties.

The image you linked is of the Return to the Tomb of Horrors, an expansive and generally well received module concerning itself with, duh, a return to the tomb where a camp of necromancers has grown up in worship of Acererak.

Sipex
2010-11-18, 04:17 PM
A simple answer.

If you open it up and the first page is "Your characters immediately die. No save." then it's probably 2e Tomb of Horrors.

Ozreth
2010-11-18, 04:35 PM
Haha I see. So the Return to the Tomb of Horrors is compatable with 2e, and the original module (which I believe comes with the return to the tomb of horrors?) is also completely compatible with 2e?

hamlet
2010-11-18, 04:45 PM
Haha I see. So the Return to the Tomb of Horrors is compatable with 2e, and the original module (which I believe comes with the return to the tomb of horrors?) is also completely compatible with 2e?

First and 2nd edition are essentially 99% compatible to begin with. No need to even make any changes in the text.

Tomb of Horrors was originally written for 1st edition AD&D, then 2nd edition created the Return module. Then 3.5 adapted the module to its edition, then 4.0.