PDA

View Full Version : What's a good replacement for Live-Messager...?

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-18, 03:13 PM
Ok, been finally forced by Microsoft to update my messager and i hate it.

I'm not talking dislike and hyperbole here, i mean everything they have changed literally makes me angry with it's hipster social networking connectivity bull-crud and the hideous Apple stylings.

I know apples are great but i've refused to use them for 8 years now because i actually like the windows 95-xp style interfaces...

Anyway, Live Messager has gone the way of various other things that don't work and i need a new client.

I've tried Trillion [infernal, unreliable thing] so what are my other options. Preferably just a nice clean interface and some convo options. I'm not bothered about webcams or whatever, but i would like to be able to send files, especially to those who still use Live Messager [non-horrible generations]...

Help me, Nerds in the Playground...you're my only hope!

Haruki-kun
2010-11-18, 03:17 PM
Emesene. (http://www.emesene.org/)

I switched for the same reason, I don't like the new Windows Live.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-11-18, 03:21 PM
www.ebuddy.com

Basically, you keep all your msn contacts, etc. You just use a more basic format of msn.

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-18, 03:21 PM
as long as this has a reliable file transfer function and can use my Hotmail address, i'm happy

Thanks

Haruki-kun
2010-11-18, 03:31 PM
www.ebuddy.com

Basically, you keep all your msn contacts, etc. You just use a more basic format of msn.

Yes, but then they hack your account. Already had it done to me.

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-18, 03:52 PM
Well, i have Emesene now.

File transfer sucks somehing fierce but it's otherwise ok

I routinely deal in 30+meg files [.psd files, pdfs etc] so i might have to find something better sooner or later

Haruki-kun
2010-11-18, 04:18 PM
Well, i have Emesene now.

File transfer sucks somehing fierce but it's otherwise ok

I routinely deal in 30+meg files [.psd files, pdfs etc] so i might have to find something better sooner or later

Oh, dear.

Try Yousendit or Megaupload or something like that when you're sending people large files. Even direct e-mail.

EDIT: Or you can look for a different client. I just picked that one because it's the one that's most like old MSN. There's also aMSN, but I hated that one for two reasons: One, when in big chats it displays everyone's names on thetop of the window and takes up too much space, and two, it always makes new chat windows appear on top of everything instead of minimized.

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-18, 04:27 PM
Well, multichat isn't an issue, but what do you mean by the non-minimising thing?

Haruki-kun
2010-11-18, 04:33 PM
Well, multichat isn't an issue, but what do you mean by the non-minimising thing?

When someone talks to you on aMSN, the window pops up in front of everything. So say, if you're writing a word document, a window suddenly pops up with someone talking to you.

It's why I switched from aMSN to Emesene.

Supposedly, aMSN had an option to fix the issue, but I never got it to work.

factotum
2010-11-19, 02:56 AM
I still use Messenger, I just switched it back so it looks more like the old one--there's a button at the top right that switches it between modes.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-11-19, 03:44 AM
Yes, but then they hack your account. Already had it done to me.
Been using it 3/4 years just fine now.:smallconfused: Though yeah, your account was hacked.:smallfrown:

Flickerdart
2010-11-19, 12:43 PM
Oh cool, I've been meaning to find an alternative to the terribad new MSN. Does Emesene support handwriting?

Haruki-kun
2010-11-19, 01:05 PM
Oh cool, I've been meaning to find an alternative to the terribad new MSN. Does Emesene support handwriting?

No...

Well, the website claims it does. I think there's a plugin for it, but I don't have it.

Sipex
2010-11-19, 04:50 PM
While it won't fix your issue I think you need to start taking things a bit easier. You know in a "Who cares?" sort of way. You sound really worked up by the messenger changes and are applying a lot of negative connotations to something which simply changed.

I used to be the same way, and really it just causes you a lot of stress in life for no reason.

Hope you find a client you like.

Rawhide
2010-11-19, 06:50 PM
http://www.pidgin.im/