PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Master Build request <3.5>

Tokuhara
2010-11-18, 04:28 PM
While rereading The Mind's Eye online source, I discovered the Crystal Master and was intrigued. Granted, I haven't a clue how to use the class to any effect, so I come before you, asking how to Optimize this class...

Link: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d

Psyren
2010-11-18, 05:31 PM
My favored race for Crystal Master is Warforged/Psiforged. Mechanically, they have a lot of racial immunities/attributes that cover for many of the gems, giving you a lot more freedom to take the casty ones.

You no longer have a need for:
- Azurite (Warforged don't eat, drink or sleep)
- Amethyst (already immune to poison)
- Blue Zircon (already immune to disease)
- Jade (already immortal)

This gives you much more freedom in gem selection.

Flavorwise, it removes a lot of the squick from "installing" gems. Instead of jamming them into your arm and screaming, you calmly slot them in like hardware peripherals. Plus you get to an excuse to look like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2711993771_139a2fd05f.jpg

As for your class, Warforged make great psions and erudites. Erudites are especially handy for the class because you get a free psicrystal, but Psions are just as good.

Assuming you follow my race recommendation, that leaves you with the choice of what gems you SHOULD pick. Here are prime candidates:
(F) = Focus-dependent.

Bulls Eye Agate: Campaign-dependent, but fear is a Warforged's bane and this gem will let you shrug it off.
Aquamarine: (F) +3 untyped to Int is godly. The only drawback is that you have to stay focused. If you don't mind having your psicrystal power your metapsionics then go for it.
Moonstone: (F) This one's great, +6 to AC and all saves, and it's insight (not a common bonus.) Focus-dependent but worth it.
Peridot: DR 6/- may not seem like much, but consider this - it's effectively +6 to your concentration checks to avoid losing a power when hit, untyped. I would definitely take it.
Red Jasper: Campaign-dependent again, like Bulls Eye Agate. If you're facing off against a lot of undead this could be handy.
Ruby: (F) +3 Con is always useful, though again focus-dependent.
Sapphire: (F) Constant Touchsight is phenomenal. I see you rogue!

Tokuhara
2010-11-20, 02:26 PM
My favored race for Crystal Master is Warforged/Psiforged. Mechanically, they have a lot of racial immunities/attributes that cover for many of the gems, giving you a lot more freedom to take the casty ones.

You no longer have a need for:
- Azurite (Warforged don't eat, drink or sleep)
- Amethyst (already immune to poison)
- Blue Zircon (already immune to disease)
- Jade (already immortal)

This gives you much more freedom in gem selection.

Flavorwise, it removes a lot of the squick from "installing" gems. Instead of jamming them into your arm and screaming, you calmly slot them in like hardware peripherals. Plus you get to an excuse to look like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2711993771_139a2fd05f.jpg

As for your class, Warforged make great psions and erudites. Erudites are especially handy for the class because you get a free psicrystal, but Psions are just as good.

Assuming you follow my race recommendation, that leaves you with the choice of what gems you SHOULD pick. Here are prime candidates:
(F) = Focus-dependent.

Bulls Eye Agate: Campaign-dependent, but fear is a Warforged's bane and this gem will let you shrug it off.
Aquamarine: (F) +3 untyped to Int is godly. The only drawback is that you have to stay focused. If you don't mind having your psicrystal power your metapsionics then go for it.
Moonstone: (F) This one's great, +6 to AC and all saves, and it's insight (not a common bonus.) Focus-dependent but worth it.
Peridot: DR 6/- may not seem like much, but consider this - it's effectively +6 to your concentration checks to avoid losing a power when hit, untyped. I would definitely take it.
Red Jasper: Campaign-dependent again, like Bulls Eye Agate. If you're facing off against a lot of undead this could be handy.
Ruby: (F) +3 Con is always useful, though again focus-dependent.
Sapphire: (F) Constant Touchsight is phenomenal. I see you rogue!

Holy Crap! We had the same thought!

and you say Erudite is better in this application... I see...

Might go with Sapphire, Moonstone, Peridote, Bull's Eye Agate, and either Aquamarine (better psionics) or Red Jasper (More HP)... Leaning towards Aquamarine

And DM is letting me have one Martial Weapon (designed for war) and I chose a Deep Crystal Ranseur (?) which gets enchanted l8r with Psychokinetic Burst and gets 2 crystals so it can crit Undead and Constructs (DM allowed this)

Psyren
2010-11-20, 04:03 PM
Erudites have an advantage mostly due to the free psicrystal. They also have better ACFs and can use some gems (e.g. Sapphire, Jet) to cover for their limited UPD. However, PrCing with an Erudite is iffy as it can ruin your learning mechanic. You would therefore be forced to alternate Erudite and Crystal Master levels to avoid hitting Erudite X/Crystal Master X - and this will delay your gem acquisition.

If your DM waives that silly requirement, go for it. If not, go Psion instead and suck up the feat for your psicrystal. Shaper is of course the ideal discipline (your craft will be high, which will help you Create things) but Warforged also do well with Egoist.

Remember you need to keep Craft (Gemcutting) up to install your gems, so you may as well make some money on the side from it. Another nice benefit to Warforged is that you can stay up all night cutting gems, watching the party sleep and talking to your psicrystal if you get bored.

Personally, I would trade in the sword for something else. Neither your base class nor CM gets decent BAB, so melee won't be your thing unless you shapeshift into a golem or something, in which case you'll be slamming and grappling rather than swinging a sword around.

flabort
2010-11-20, 04:46 PM
I've seen threads like this before, but it's fun to read them.

While psiforged is not a requirement, it's almost always optimal for a CM. however, there are alternatives, with higher potential. I wouldn't recommend them, as it's MUCH harder to find and utilize said potential, but it's high.

However, psiforged have even more advantages for a CM then not having to take certain gems. Warforged components, for one. I believe there are some that are GREAT for psiforged, boosting PP, ect., and some that cover a psion's lack of BAB, grant reach, ect.

And that's not even covering the warforged-only feats that you can take.