PDA

View Full Version : SpellThief Sniper Build

Tvtyrant
2010-11-18, 04:49 PM
SpellThief 1/Wizard 5/Spellwarp Sniper 5/Arcane Trickster 9

Important Feats: Master Spellthief

This is kind of simple right now, but I'm using the SWS' ability to use sneak attack at 60 ft. with a ray combined with Master Spellthief to steal spells and do sneak attack damage at a reasonable distance. Gets considerable sneak attack damage to go along with the stealing.

Any suggestions?

the humanity
2010-11-18, 05:18 PM
Unseen Seer is always worth looking out for spellizards.

also, make sure you get invisibility in your spellbook pronto.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-18, 07:29 PM
The only problem I have with Spellwarp Sniper is that it only lets me transform low level-mid level spells, so I max out my ray damage at 15d6 (for cone of cold). On the other hand, Shout makes a pretty good ray attack since it does (a measly 5d6 but its sonic) and also deafens. Shatter makes a pretty good ray too, you can use it to destroy enemy weapons at a distance.

WinceRind
2010-11-18, 07:51 PM
Hey! That's exactly the build I was going to play tomorrow =/

Yeah, I think it's a very reasonable build, although there's a reason why most ray snipers take Unseen Seer PrC.

'Cause you can learn a divination spell from Ranger spell list, and it gives you 1 die of sneak attack for every 3 caster levels, if I'm not mistaken. I forgot the name of the spell, but I think it might be in either PHB2 or Spell Compendium.

Since you get to 9th level spells with this build easily because you only lose 1 level from Spellthief, and that spell I was talking about comes from Ranger spell list and is of a very low level (2, if I'm not mistaken. Might be 3) it can be easily persisted resulting in Massive Damage!

Even if you don't, it would last you long enough to get over most combat situations. 1 round/level.

Considering that Unseen Seer also gets sneak attack progression alongside with full spell progression, it's easier to qualify for, and it has some very impressive class features. Sure, you lose 1 die of sneak attack over 10 levels compared to the Arcane Trickster, but other features of Arcane Tricksters aren't particularly spectacular. If you're going to be opening traps, sure, it sometimes helps to be far away. But if you have reasonable disable device skill, you shouldn't worry too much. Not to mention, a once or twice per day ability isn't that impressive. Not to mention Impromptu Sneak Attack once per day (or twice if you really put in some points) is very limited and getting ranged sneak attacks as a caster shouldn't be a problem for you in the first place. Hint: Greater Invisibility works, but it's obvious. Grease works on monsters that don't have 5 points in balance. Blur, to my knowledge, also works.

And that ranger divination spell will be a much better feature for you considering that you'll get at least 7 dies of sneak attack damage with it extra by level 20.

Also, since we're talking about this stuff anyways, can anyone tell me whether Spellthief/Wizard with Master Spellthief can use stolen spell energy to power Wizard spells or not? I imagine he can't, but I need to know for sure.

Keld Denar
2010-11-18, 07:56 PM
Try metamagic. A SW'ed Fireball is 10d6 from a 3rd level slot. A Split Ray'ed Fireball is 20d6 from a 5th level slot. That beat Cone of Cold hands down. A Split Ray'd Cone of Cold is 30d6 from a 7th level slot, not too shabby.

Unfortunately, Split Ray counts as a "volley" attack, so you only get SA damage once unless you homebrew up a feat like Greater Manyshot (Greater Manyray?) which would allow your volley spells to work more like Greater Manyshot does.

Still, doubling your base spell damage is pretty smexy.

WinceRind, the spell you are looking for is Hunter's Eye, PHBII.

Psyren
2010-11-18, 07:57 PM
Check out the Spellwarp Guide (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870226/Spellwarp_Sniper_List_of_Handy_Spells) too

Tvtyrant
2010-11-18, 09:46 PM
Do orbs count as rays for the 60 ft. Sneak attack ability? Because if so then I can use those to deliver sneak attacks, and they do a considerable amount of damage.

true_shinken
2010-11-18, 09:52 PM
Just use Wings of Flurry. It's uncapped force damage. Best spellwarp spell ever.

Urpriest
2010-11-18, 09:58 PM
Just use Wings of Flurry. It's uncapped force damage. Best spellwarp spell ever.

Problem. He's a wizard.

true_shinken
2010-11-18, 10:00 PM
Problem. He's a wizard.

Oh snap. Well, that is a problem indeed. Unseen Seer is not enough to get Hammer of Rightneousness spellwarped, is it?

Eldariel
2010-11-18, 10:00 PM
Frozen Breath [SC] or whatever the name is is decent; Daze, damage, etc.

Roga
2010-11-18, 10:08 PM
Frozen Breath [SC] or whatever the name is is decent; Daze, damage, etc.

It's Frost Breath, and it caps at 5d4 damage :smallfrown:

WinceRind
2010-11-18, 10:27 PM
While we're still at it...

Does Master Spellthief feat allow you to use the spells stolen through spell thief class ability to power spells you get with wizard/sorcerer/whatever you picked?

Or, since you probably don't have any Spellthief spells this effect usually works for (because taking more then 2, maybe 3 levels would be a bad idea for caster progression), does Steal Spells only let you steal spells and cast them back?

Eldariel
2010-11-18, 10:28 PM
It's Frost Breath, and it caps at 5d4 damage :smallfrown:

Yeah, but if you have infi SA, the base damage isn't that important. Free Daze, on the other hand, is always nice.

Rasman
2010-11-18, 10:36 PM
THIS (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=8941) is my build up to level 7 with spell selection.

THIS (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9706.0) is an optimization I posted elsewhere, steal as you see fit seeing as I was quite thorough. You'll have to work on your spell selection beyond my choices though.

as a Side Note, Unseen Seer is ALMOST mandatory for this build...you just can't get around it because of ONE spell...

Last Laugh
2010-11-18, 10:38 PM
The only problem I have with Spellwarp Sniper is that it only lets me transform low level-mid level spells, so I max out my ray damage at 15d6 (for cone of cold). On the other hand, Shout makes a pretty good ray attack since it does (a measly 5d6 but its sonic) and also deafens. Shatter makes a pretty good ray too, you can use it to destroy enemy weapons at a distance.

Uncanny trickster extends the spellwarp sniper ability by 2 levels, but check with your DM

Ocular spell from LoM can change any spell into a ray (that you fire from your eye) you can even open up every combat but release 2 eye-rays as a single action (standard or full-round). it is very nice and a little bit cheeeeeeeasy

Tvtyrant
2010-11-19, 02:10 AM
Uncanny trickster extends the spellwarp sniper ability by 2 levels, but check with your DM

Ocular spell from LoM can change any spell into a ray (that you fire from your eye) you can even open up every combat but release 2 eye-rays as a single action (standard or full-round). it is very nice and a little bit cheeeeeeeasy

I totally forgot about the Ocular stuff! If I get an eyeball familiar I can have him do it too! (Long range Irresistible dance? Heck yes!)

Isn't there a prestige class for being a Beholder worshipper that grants you all sorts of eye-ray abilities?

true_shinken
2010-11-19, 06:06 AM
Isn't there a prestige class for being a Beholder worshipper that grants you all sorts of eye-ray abilities?
Yeah, but it sucks.

dobu
2010-11-19, 06:14 AM
there's the 3.0 ocular adept from faiths and pantheons, but it's a weird class.

[edit] stupid ninjas.... :P