PDA

View Full Version : Multiattacking?

Necroticplague
2010-11-18, 08:37 PM
How does having multiple natural weapons work with multiple attacks from high BAB? Okay, I have a bite and two claw attacks. Does this mean a standard action is a CBC, and my full attack is this process of three attacks repeated several times?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-18, 08:42 PM
Nope. An attack with one of your natural weapons is a standard attack (at your highest BAB). A full attack would be claw/claw/bite at your highest BAB for your primary natural weapon (whichever one you add 1.5 strength to) and BAB-5 for the rest (unless you have Multiattack, which makes it BAB-2 for your secondary natural weapons). Never do you get iterative attacks with natural weapons.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-11-18, 08:45 PM
How does having multiple natural weapons work with multiple attacks from high BAB? Okay, I have a bite and two claw attacks. Does this mean a standard action is a CBC, and my full attack is this process of three attacks repeated several times?

Natural weapons don't gain irritative attacks for a high base attack bonus.

Nope. An attack with one of your natural weapons is a standard attack (at your highest BAB). A full attack would be claw/claw/bite at your highest BAB for your primary natural weapon (whichever one you add 1.5 strength to) and BAB-5 for the rest (unless you have Multiattack, which makes it BAB-2 for your secondary natural weapons). Never do you get iterative attacks with natural weapons.
Your a little off, normally a creature only adds 1.5 strength if it has only a single natural attack. For example lesser elementals have one slam and add 1.5 times their strength modifier. However by large sized they have 2 slams and add only their strength modifier. Exceptions do exist such as dragons tough which get one and a half on their bite and tail attack.

Necroticplague
2010-11-18, 08:48 PM
And one last question (for now):Does clawx2 count as one natural weapon or two?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-11-18, 08:50 PM

Two attacks.

dgnslyr
2010-11-18, 09:16 PM
But if you do have all those natural attacks, you mind as well spend your iteratives slugging them in the face, and then use all your natural weapons as secondary attacks. At least, that's how I think it works...

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 09:29 PM
Unarmed strike or a mouth-pick weapon are generally the best ways to combine iterative attacks with multiple natural weapons. Though mouth-pick weapons only really work if there's not some rider effect on the bite attack that is desired.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-18, 09:36 PM
But if you do have all those natural attacks, you mind as well spend your iteratives slugging them in the face, and then use all your natural weapons as secondary attacks. At least, that's how I think it works...

Partly right, you can combine your normal iterative attacks with your natural attacks; provided you don't use the same limb to attack twice.

Example A koblod with the web enchancement has two claws and a bite attack so a natural attack routine would look claw/claw/bite.

the same kobold with BAB 11 and a sword would have an attack routine that would look something like this Sword/Sword/Sword (iterative attacks) + 1 claw (the other is used by wielding the sword) and bite at BAB -5 (or -2 with multiattack).

Make sense?

Urpriest
2010-11-18, 09:44 PM

For what purpose? It matters.

Greenish
2010-11-18, 10:03 PM
Partly right, you can combine your normal iterative attacks with your natural attacks; provided you don't use the same limb to attack twice.Boot blade. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-11-18, 10:09 PM

What purposes are there other than determining the attack bonus and what strength to damage is?

Boot blade. :smallwink:

knees to the groin, elbow blades, spiky'd armor. Maybe a braid blade for good measure. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2010-11-18, 10:14 PM
The Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike feats in the Draconomicon are worth mentioning, as they do give iterative attack with natural weapons. They can be a little hard to qualify for, though...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-18, 10:14 PM
Boot blade. :smallwink:

touché....

Keld Denar
2010-11-18, 10:33 PM
The Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike feats in the Draconomicon are worth mentioning, as they do give iterative attack with natural weapons. They can be a little hard to qualify for, though...

They technically aren't true iteratives. They are more like pseudoiteratives. You only get one extra attack per "pair" of natural weapons.

And yea, if you attack with armor spikes or unarmed strikes which don't occupy any specific limb, you can still make your full natural attack routine.

A web enhancement kobold with the Deepspawn feat (gives +2 tentacles attacks) who has both armor spikes AND Improved Unarmed Strikes AND Two Weapon Fighting could make iterative attacks with his main hand armor spikes, offhand unarmed strikes, and THEN make 2 claws, two tentacles, and a bite on top of all that.

Just find a source of bonus damage and you're golden.

Thurbane
2010-11-18, 10:37 PM
They technically aren't true iteratives. They are more like pseudoiteratives. You only get one extra attack per "pair" of natural weapons.
Improved Rapidstrike gives more than one extra attack per pair of natural weapons, it gives one at -5, and more at an cumulative -5, but never more than 4 extra attacks.

Also worth noting, if you have more than 1 pair of natural attacks, you can take these feats multiple times to get the additional attack(s) for each pair of natural attacks you are willing to invest the feats into.

Keld Denar
2010-11-18, 10:43 PM
Yup. Note that the feat Deepspawn gives you a "pair" of natural tentacle attacks...that qualify for Rapid Strike, assuming are you a Dragonwraught Kobold, Elan, or Synad (needed for creature type).

tyckspoon
2010-11-19, 03:07 AM
What purposes are there other than determining the attack bonus and what strength to damage is?

Natural-weapon-improving effects can care, when the investment you need to do it can be based on types of weapons (ie, Improved Natural Attack- Claw will improve all the Claws you have) or on number of weapons (a Thri-kreen Kensai imbuing his claws will have to pay extra to imbue all 4 claws, but would get all four done at once if/when he takes INA.)

Necroticplague
2010-11-20, 02:15 PM

For purposes of grappling. Can I use both of them while wrestling or do I have to use only one? Plus, some more questions:
1.If I can claw 4 times, can I use rend twice (asuming they all hit)?

Urpriest
2010-11-20, 02:38 PM

Warshaper, Kensai, Rapidstrike, anything else that enhances natural weapons?

Urpriest
2010-11-20, 02:54 PM
For purposes of grappling. Can I use both of them while wrestling or do I have to use only one? Plus, some more questions:
1.If I can claw 4 times, can I use rend twice (asuming they all hit)?

When grappling you can't make a normal full attack. Instead you can do one of two things:
1. If you grabbed someone with Improved Grab, you can deal damage with the weapon you grabbed them with (so one claw if you grabbed them with a claw) on a successful grapple check.
2. You can attack with a natural weapon at a -4 penalty.
You can do either of these a number of times per turn determined by your base attack bonus (so once for BAB 1-5, twice for BAB 6-10 with the second at a -5 penalty, etc.), no matter how many natural weapons you have. Basically you're reduced to the same number of attacks as the fighter.

As for your question on rend, many rend abilities will specify that you can only do it with certain specific claws, so if you've got extra claws they might not help. If they do though, that sounds reasonable. What I'm not sure about is whether you could get six rends, one for each pair of attacks that hit. That would be very stupid, but I can't actually think of a good rules reason why that couldn't happen.

Melayl
2010-11-20, 03:01 PM
When grappling you can't make a normal full attack. Instead you can do one of two things:
1. If you grabbed someone with Improved Grab, you can deal damage with the weapon you grabbed them with (so one claw if you grabbed them with a claw) on a successful grapple check.
2. You can attack with a natural weapon at a -4 penalty.
You can do either of these a number of times per turn determined by your base attack bonus (so once for BAB 1-5, twice for BAB 6-10 with the second at a -5 penalty, etc.), no matter how many natural weapons you have. Basically you're reduced to the same number of attacks as the fighter.

As for your question on rend, many rend abilities will specify that you can only do it with certain specific claws, so if you've got extra claws they might not help. If they do though, that sounds reasonable. What I'm not sure about is whether you could get six rends, one for each pair of attacks that hit. That would be very stupid, but I can't actually think of a good rules reason why that couldn't happen.

The Beast Strike feat allows you to do your natural weapon damage while grappling and while using an unarmed strike.

Necroticplague
2010-11-20, 04:02 PM

The rend I'm reading (troll racial ability if it helps) only says "both claw attacks" and go under the assumption you won't gain any more claw attacks.

Urpriest
2010-11-20, 04:11 PM
The rend I'm reading (troll racial ability if it helps) only says "both claw attacks" and go under the assumption you won't gain any more claw attacks.

As a DM I'd probably rule that the troll's rend only applies to its natural claws, but RAW you could make a case that it applies to all of your claw attacks. Similarly, a DM would probably not let you get six rends from hitting with four claw attacks, but might allow you to get two: again, the rules seem ambiguous. Unless someone's found a clarification somewhere?

Keld Denar
2010-11-20, 06:16 PM
If you look at a creature that has rend and more than 2 claw attacks per round, like the Girallon, you find:

Rend (Ex)
A girallon that hits with two or more claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d4+9 points of damage.

The Rend description in the Girallon Arms soulmeld is similarly worded:

If you hit a single target with at least two claw attacks, whether these attacks come from your girallon arms, or a different soulmed, your own innate abilities, or some other source, you can latch onto the opponent's body and tear the flesh. This attack automatically deals double claw damage, including double your Strength bonus.

Since this doesn't contradict any of the other examples of rend, and given that NORMALLY creatures with only 2 claws only make 2 claw attacks, I think its safe to rule that you only get rend once per round per target.