PDA

View Full Version : Um, any 3.Xe published item that reduces fertility?

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-18, 08:40 PM
I'm just curious... is there any official source (be it in dragon magazine, some obscure forgotten realms book, some 'not quite third party' books like the dragonlance stuff, something in dungeon magazine, whatever) item that reduces fertility? Like, some alchemical something, some magical charm, a spell, a continuous use magic item, or anything? I'm interested in 3.0e or 3.5e. If so, where can this be found?

Thanks, and please try to keep the replies clean!

ALSO: I AM NOT LOOKING FOR "Really, definitely, third party" stuff now! I am keeping my search to official stuff, and the borderline official stuff too.

Psyren
2010-11-18, 08:41 PM
BoEF has a whole section on contraception, I'd start there.

NineThePuma
2010-11-18, 08:42 PM
Book of Erotic Fantasy! For all these kinds of needs!

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-18, 08:42 PM
BoEF has a whole section on contraception, I'd start there.

Book of Erotic Fantasy! For all these kinds of needs!

...That toootally isn't the question I asked though. Read the specifics of my question, guys!

Psyren
2010-11-18, 08:44 PM
...That toootally isn't the question I asked though.

...Contraception includes items.

If you mean "Did Wizards of the Coast publish birth control rules?" I have to wonder if you're serious.

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-18, 08:45 PM
...Contraception includes items.

If you mean "Did Wizards of the Coast publish birth control rules?" I have to wonder if you're serious.

Well, I am, because I vaguely remember some alchemical item in SOME forgotten realms book somewhere that made you infertile for a month!

Hell, they published rules for what's basically pot! ("Witchweed"), and equivalents to lot of harder drugs besides!

Frosty
I do not believe there is an official item that does that, but I would start looking at Alter Self as a base spell for a custom item.

Kylarra
FRCS has herbs that render the ingester infertile for a number of days.

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-18, 08:49 PM
FRCS has herbs that render the ingester infertile for a number of days.

*Checks*

Ah, thank you. FRCS, pg 96 & 97. Cassil and Nararoot.

OracleofWuffing
2010-11-18, 09:50 PM
Depending on your DM, Alchemist's Fire, applied directly to the, ahem, proper area, would likely make conceiving difficult without proper protection.

Logalmier
2010-11-18, 09:54 PM
Depending on your DM, Alchemist's Fire, applied directly to the, ahem, proper area, would likely make conceiving difficult without proper protection.

Even better the effect would have a duration of Instantaneous, making the birth control permanent.

Also, ouch.

grimbold
2010-11-19, 05:36 AM
or you could go with real world middle age contraceptives...

Killer Angel
2010-11-19, 05:46 AM
OK, not strictly RAW, but...

You place a curse on the subject. Choose one of the following three effects.

•-6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).
•-4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
•Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.
You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above

I'm pretty sure a reduced fertility is a valid curse, and the duration is permanent.

Ernir
2010-11-19, 05:57 AM

I'm pretty sure a reduced fertility is a valid curse, and the duration is permanent.

Surprisingly enough, it is. The BoVD gives extra uses for the Bestow Curse spell, the very first alternate use is rendering the target sterile.

Killer Angel
2010-11-19, 06:57 AM
Surprisingly enough, it is. The BoVD gives extra uses for the Bestow Curse spell, the very first alternate use is rendering the target sterile.

Am I spontaneously reasoning as the BoVD (that I've never read)?
Now I'm worried... :smalleek:

Innis Cabal
2010-11-19, 06:59 AM

I don't know, I'd call that a blessing.

Kaww
2010-11-19, 07:03 AM
Really anything that kills/incapacitates/mutilates you, makes you physically venerable...
There is an abundance of solutions, creativity is your upper limit...

The Glyphstone
2010-11-19, 07:28 AM
A greataxe to the neck guarantees 100% fertility reduction.:smallwink:

Killer Angel
2010-11-19, 07:32 AM

In D&D, even death isn't a definitive condition... :smalltongue:

Now that I'm thinking on it, any undead template should suffice.

Chrono22
2010-11-19, 07:33 AM
Axes work.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-19, 07:34 AM
I don't know, I'd call that a blessing.
If magic has made it so that food, clean water, and health care are at least 20th century 1st World levels, sure, but in a world with medieval level mortality rates, where an heir, which may have to be male, is vital for succession purposes? Not so much.

grimbold
2010-11-19, 08:00 AM

YAY you glyphstone are my new favorite mod

OracleofWuffing
2010-11-19, 09:38 AM

Don't forget about trolls, better set that axe on fire.

Douglas
2010-11-19, 10:41 AM
Tell that to the Half-Vampire template in Libris Mortis.

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-19, 11:02 AM
Well, ya, the character could get Silphium/Wild Carrot/Blue Cohosh/etc. but I was looking for the D&D stuff. Thankfully, I found them in FRCS...

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-19, 11:02 AM
Tell that to the Half-Vampire template in Libris Mortis.

or the half-ghost thing or the half-zombie thing (not official names:smallwink:)

Person_Man
2010-11-19, 11:03 AM
Warning: Premeditated Catgirl Murder

Infant mortality rates in antiquity were generally around 1/3 of all births. Another large chunk of children died in their first year of life. In general, a couple needed to have 7-9 kids in order to get 2-3 that would survive to child bearing age (12-13ish). Death of the mother in childbirth was also a common event (and would take the life of the child as well unless your midwife knew how to perform a Caesarian section). And life expectancy in general was only around 25 years. On top of that, the vast majority of non-royal women were essentially property.

So contraception was essentially a non-issue for most of human history. Staying alive was the issue. If you got someone pregnant, you married them. Or if you lived in a more populous area with fewer social/religious constraints, you ignored them. Women have no legal rights, after all. If you got someone who was someone else's wife pregnant, chances are her husband wouldn't notice because he wasn't using contraception either and there was generally minimal racial diversity outside of a few cosmopolitan areas.

All of that's a long winded way of saying that if you want to start introducing more modern elements into your game - like contraception - then you may wish to consider that it would have profound sociological effects. If you choose to ignore or hand wave them away, then fine, I certainly do so for plenty of things. But if you're going to ignore such inconveniences, why even include contraceptions in the first place? Why not just allow your players (or ask your DM) to allow you to do the deed without worrying about real life consequences? What is he going to do, create a conception chart? What are it's modifiers? Can I effect it with a Luck reroll? And so on.

Killer Angel
2010-11-19, 11:05 AM
Well, ya, the character could get Silphium/Wild Carrot/Blue Cohosh/etc. but I was looking for the D&D stuff. Thankfully, I found them in FRCS...

For official D&D stuff, as previously said, there's also Bestow Curse (Core - BoVD).

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-19, 11:06 AM
Warning: Premeditated Catgirl Murder
*snip*

Uh, Person_Man, look up "Silphium" sometime...

Keld Denar
2010-11-19, 11:25 AM
Man, almost wish the Bestow Curse thing was real...you could just have the proceedure done, and then buy a Remove Curse or Break Enchantment when you decide its time to start a family. 100% effective, no hormonal side effects.

Logalmier
2010-11-19, 04:54 PM

Tell that to Stephanie Meyers.:smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-11-19, 04:58 PM
In D&D, even death isn't a definitive condition... :smalltongue:

Heh. No. Even ghosts can knock women up.

This is still a bad, bad idea, OP.

Tyndmyr
2010-11-19, 05:02 PM
Well, we have the Eunuch warlock...I believe that would be one way to reduce your fertility fairly permanently(barring decently leveled magic).

For the non-males out there, apply belt of gender change first. Become a eunuch. Done deal.

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-19, 05:09 PM
Heh. No. Even ghosts can knock women up.

This is still a bad, bad idea, OP.

Were you referring to me wanting to use FRCS the herbs or bestow curse to be infertile, or other folk talking about undead or mutilation shenanigans?

The undead / mutilation shenanigans are a bad idea, for sure, but why is MY stuff a bad idea?

Yahzi
2010-11-19, 10:43 PM
And life expectancy in general was only around 25 years.
The life-expectancy was that low because of all the infant mortality. If you survived to adulthood (and were rich, of course), you could easily live a regular life-span. The King of Messina was still fathering children at 98, according to one Roman historian.

This is one of those areas that D&D totally miffs. Being able to cast a single 0th level spell once a day (Cure Minor Wounds) would allow a midwife to reduce birth deaths by probably 95% by simply (and reliably) stopping bleeding.

So in a D&D world, infant mortality is down to probably Modern levels.

On the other hand, adult mortality - is there any job in the real world as dangerous as an ordinary D&D city guard? - is through the roof, so I guess it balances out.

:smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2010-11-19, 11:03 PM
Well, we have the Eunuch warlock...I believe that would be one way to reduce your fertility fairly permanently(barring decently leveled magic).

For the non-males out there, apply belt of gender change first. Become a eunuch. Done deal.

Ah, Eunuch Warlock, what problems can't you solve?

OracleofWuffing
2010-11-19, 11:53 PM
On the other hand, adult mortality - is there any job in the real world as dangerous as an ordinary D&D city guard?
Black Friday retailer and December 26th returns. Wakka wakka!

Psyren
2010-11-19, 11:56 PM
Ah, Eunuch Warlock, what problems can't you solve?

Population decline :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-11-20, 12:39 AM
^: Well, once they hit epic spells they can just create new species. And then there's PAO.
The undead / mutilation shenanigans are a bad idea, for sure, but why is MY stuff a bad idea?

Sex in D&D. Getting enough showtime to have contraceptives come up. That you can't just gloss over and have to feel you have some kind of mechanical justification produced by WOTC themselves.

V: Case in point.

fireinakasha
2010-11-20, 01:06 AM
There's also a third party 3.0 splat called Nymphology. Should have spells that produce the effect you want.

As an added bonus it also has a prestige class for summoners who want to...uh....gain money from the services that could be provided by certain conjured outsiders....

Tetsubo 57
2010-11-20, 07:25 AM
I'd just make this an alchemical substance. No need for an actual magic item. This is the sort of thing that has the most impact with the common folk. Which means it needs to be dirt cheap and freely available. But in even a pseudo-medieval setting, this is a game changer.