PDA

View Full Version : Totem cleric(3.5 Peach)

monkman
2010-11-18, 09:01 PM
Totem cleric
http://www.1nori.com/gallery/images/2007/01/Klarrann.jpg
If you wish to repent look into my eyes. Klarran, Totem cleric

Role: A totem cleric is inclined to be a damager, he can also support the party with the spell that he gains.

Background: Totem clerics are trained in churches or in temples. They are trained from other totem clerics.

Organization: They are usually aligned with there churches, temples and other who serve the same deity.

Alignment: Totem clerics must be in one step of there deity.

Races: Any race can become a totem cleric. Halflings and Gnomes rarely take this path because the of Strength penalty.

Religion: A totem cleric cannot serve an evil deity. Other than this, he or she is free to choose any deity.

Hit Die:D10

Starting Gold: 4d4x10(100gp)

Class Features

Class Skills: Balance (Dex),Climb(Str),Concentration(Con),Craft(Int),
Diplomacy(Cha),Heal(Wis),Jump(str),Knowledge(Relig on)(Int),Knowledge(History)(Int),Listen(Wis),Profe ssion(Wis),Sense Motive(Wis),Spellcraft(Int),Spot(Wis),Swim(Str)

Skill points at first level: (4+ Intelligence modifier) x4
Skill points at Each Additional Level: 4+ Intelligence modifier

{table=head]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4 th|5th|6th

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|First Totem Ability|2

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3||3|0

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Totem smash 1/encounter|3|1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4||3|2|0

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4||3|3|1

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Second Totem ability, Totem smash 2/encounter| 3|3|2

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Second Totem|3|3|2|0

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6||3|3|3|1

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Totem smash 3/encounter|3|3|3|2

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7||3|3|3|2|0|

11th|
+11/+6/_1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Third Totem Ability|3|3|3|3|1

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Totem smash 4/encounter|3|3|3|3|2

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8||3|3|3|3|2|0

14th|
+14/+9/4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Third totem|3|3|3|3|3|1

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Totem smash 5/encounter|4|3|3|3|3|2

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Fourth Totem Ability |4|4|4|3|3|3|0

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10||4|4|4|4|3|3|1

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Totem smash 6/encounter|4|4|4|4|4|3|2

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11||4|4|4|4|4|4|3-

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12||4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A totem cleric gains weapon proficiency with all simple weapons and the totem. He gains proficiency with heavy armor but with no shields
Totem
A Totem is a Two-handed Exotic weapon, a massively thick staff made of blessed materials, lovingly carved and sculpted to depict the holy ideals it stands for.
{table=head]Size|damage|critical|Weight|Type
Small|1D10|x3|8lb|Bludgeoning
Medium|2d6|x3|15lb|Bludgeoning
Large|3d6|X3|30lb|Bludgeoning
[/table]

Spellcasting A totem cleric casts divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list. His alignment may restrict her from casting certain spells opposed to her moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below. A totem cleric knows 4 cantrips at level 1 and gains 2 other known spell every other level. He does not have to prepare his spells, he can cast any spell he knows at any time assuming that he has not used up his allotment of spells.

To prepare or cast a spell, the totem cleric must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a totem cleric’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the totem cleric’s Wisdom modifier.

Totem Ability A totem cleric’s totem carries power from his god, He may select a domain that a god has and he gains those abilities in his totem.
Need works
Example
Sun domain totem
First: A totem cleric gains the turn undead ability but he may only use it once
Second: His totem cleric is now able easily to destroy undead, He gains the undead bane propriety on all weapons.
Third: A totem cleric can now use searing light once per 3hd per day as a Sla.
Fourth: A totem cleric adds the Brilliant Aura (Spell compendium) spell to his spell list, For him it is consider a level 6 spell.

Good totem abilities
First: All spell with the Good [descriptor] are cast at a +1 caster level.
Second: Your weapons are holy, They now damage 1d6 holy damage,
Third: A totem cleric may now use Holy smite as a Sla 1 time per 3 totem cleric levels.
Fourth: A totem cleric adds Holy word spell to his spell list, He may cast it as a 6th level spell.

Creation process

First: Put a ability or feat that has something to do with the domain
Second: Put a bonus to his weapons(good deals Good damage, Earth deals acid, Fire deals fire and so on)
Third: Give a Sla (level 5 and under) and make it a certain times per day.
Fourth: Add a spell(level 7,8,9) that a totem cleric could not get and say that it is consider a level 6 spell for them.

Totem smash A totem cleric smashes his totem into the ground as a standard action. This attack makes a shockwave which deals 1d4 sonic damage per class level. This ability hit everyone adjacent to totem cleric. At level 10 the range increase to 10 ft around him and at level 18 it increase by another 10 ft. All that are in the range of the ability must make a reflex save where the Dc is 10+1/2 totem class level+Str modifier or fall prone. A Totem cleric can use this ability once per encounter at level 3 and 1 more time for every other 5 levels of totem cleric class.

Other totems At level 7 and level 14, A totem cleric gains addition totem abilities, He may choose another domain and he gains the abilities with it. Every 5 levels after he gains another totem he gains another ability.

monkman
2010-11-19, 02:41 PM
Unarmored Variant
{table=head]Level|Speed bonus|Ac Bonus
1|0ft|0
2|0ft|0
3|10ft|0
4|10ft|1
5|10ft|1
6|20ft|1
7|20ft|1
8|20ft|2
9|30ft|2
10|30ft|2
11|30ft|2
12|40ft|3
13|40ft|3
14|40ft|3
15|50ft|4
16|50ft|4
17|50ft|4
18|60ft|5
19|60ft|5
20|60ft|6[/table]
A totem cleric who takes this varient loses his heavy armor proficiency but gain fast mouvement and a AC bonus.
If ever the totem cleric wears armor,uses a shield, or carries a heavy load, then it loses these abilities other than the saves.
A totem cleric changes his progression with the reflex and fortitude save.Reflex now beacome a Good save while Fortitude Beacomes a Poor save.
He also gains his wisdom modifer to his AC.

Reserved for other totems

Travel Domain Totem:
First:
Your base land speed goes up by 10ft
Second:
You are sped up as if by the "Haste" spell for 2 rounds/Class Levels and may split up the time as he wishes.
Third:
You gain "Demension Door" as a SLA 1/day/HD
Fourth:
You gain "Phase Door" as a 6th level spell

Sun Domain Totem
First:
A totem cleric gains the turn undead ability but he may only use it once
Second:
His totem cleric is now able easily to destroy undead, He gains the undead bane propriety on all weapons.
Third:
A totem cleric can now use searing light once per 3hd per day as a Sla.
Fourth:
A totem cleric adds the Brilliant Aura (Spell compendium) spell to his spell list, For him it is consider a level 6 spell.

Good Domain Totem
First:
All spell with the Good [descriptor] are cast at a +1 caster level.
Second:
Your weapons are holy, They now damage 1d6 holy damage,
Third:
A totem cleric may now use Holy smite as a Sla 1 time per 3 totem cleric levels.
Fourth:
A totem cleric adds Holy word spell to his spell list, He may cast it as a 6th level spell.

Creation process

First: Put a ability or feat that has something to do with the domain
Second: Put a bonus to his weapons(good deals Good damage, Earth deals acid, Fire deals fire and so on)
Third: Give a Sla (level 5 and under) and make it a certain times per day.
Fourth: Add a spell(level 7,8,9) that a totem cleric could not get and say that it is consider a level 6 spell for them.

If anyone want's to make some totem, please do and well change it accordingly.

Glimbur
2010-11-19, 05:50 PM
You might be better served by making an exotic weapon instead of a class. Steal a page from the Relic magic items and let people expend divine spell slots to get extra benefits from the Totem.

monkman
2010-11-19, 08:21 PM
You might be better served by making an exotic weapon instead of a class. Steal a page from the Relic magic items and let people expend divine spell slots to get extra benefits from the Totem.

Why would i do this when i already made this class?Also, the totem should not a exotic weapon, It practically just a blunt greataxe. Anyways Would someone please give a review on the class?

Proven_Paradox
2010-11-19, 09:36 PM
Hm. Looks a lot like the Dungeon Fighter Online priest class.

My biggest criticism is that you need to go back and do some proofreading. There are typos and such all over the place. Presentation is important, and more than anywhere else, you need work in that department.

I really don't think it's a good idea to restrict this to non-evil classes. This could be an excellent way to represent evil battle-priests. This just SCREAMS Gruumsh to me, for example. It makes sense to go through and make its alignment based abilities adjustable to many alignments.

Why good reflex saves? This is a warrior type: seems he should have good fort saves instead.

You need to go through and write up a spells known table. That's the kind of detail that I don't want to have to figure out manually when making a character. I would also suggest writing up a specific spell list, comparable to a Bard's, but taking more from Cleric and/or Druid than Wizard/Sorcerer.

The totem ability concept is good, but until more are implemented it's hard to judge. Of the two already written: I would suggest making the Sun Domain's turn undead function a number of times per day equal to one's charisma modifier. For Good Domain, I think just increasing Good spells caster level by 1 is sufficient, and far more succinct and easy to calculate. On the table, you need to make it clearer when you gain second/third/fourth abilities for later totems.

Totem Smash needs to be edited for clarity most of all. I suggest making it a reflex save instead of a balance check. I also think perhaps it should be an encounter ability instead of a daily, with an extra encounter use added every 4 or 5 levels. You need to specify an area of effect: I suggest all adjacent foes, with a radius increase up to maybe 15 or 20 feet being another significant class feature.

Purify Evil should be scrapped altogether. Changing a character's alignment should be a Big Deal, not something that's a second level class ability.

monkman
2010-11-19, 09:43 PM
I really don't think it's a good idea to restrict this to non-evil classes. This could be an excellent way to represent evil battle-priests. This just SCREAMS Gruumsh to me, for example. It makes sense to go through and make its alignment based abilities adjustable to many alignments.
With out the purify evil, It can be evil.So I'll change it.

Why good reflex saves? This is a warrior type: seems he should have good fort saves instead.
You right, But i did think of making it unarmored or light armored, Giving it a bonus to ac and a speed bonus. Do you think that i should Change it?

You need to go through and write up a spells known table. That's the kind of detail that I don't want to have to figure out manually when making a character. I would also suggest writing up a specific spell list, comparable to a Bard's, but taking more from Cleric and/or Druid than Wizard/Sorcerer.
What spell would you suggest?I would think buffs and heals, What other than that do you recomend?

The totem ability concept is good, but until more are implemented it's hard to judge. Of the two already written: I would suggest making the Sun Domain's turn undead function a number of times per day equal to one's charisma modifier. For Good Domain, I think just increasing Good spells caster level by 1 is sufficient, and far more succinct and easy to calculate. On the table, you need to make it clearer when you gain second/third/fourth abilities for later totems.
I'll work on it.

Totem Smash needs to be edited for clarity most of all. I suggest making it a reflex save instead of a balance check. I also think perhaps it should be an encounter ability instead of a daily, with an extra encounter use added every 4 or 5 levels. You need to specify an area of effect: I suggest all adjacent foes, with a radius increase up to maybe 15 or 20 feet being another significant class feature.
Should it work on friends?

Purify Evil should be scrapped altogether. Changing a character's alignment should be a Big Deal, not something that's a second level class ability. your right, I'll take it out.

Proven_Paradox
2010-11-19, 09:55 PM
You right, But i did think of making it unarmored or light armored, Giving it a bonus to ac and a speed bonus. Do you think that i should Change it?Hm. I think that seems more like an alternate class ability, similar to what you see in Unearthed Arcana for all the other base classes. Perhaps write up something like that? Lose your armor proficiencies in exchange for Wis to AC and some speed boosts like a Monk, and switch fort and ref saves.

What spell would you suggest?I would think buffs and heals, What other than that do you recomend?Buff and healing are perfectly adequate. Perhaps you could make it so that more of the totem abilities add spells to their list as well: so the smitey domains add smitey spells. This class is in a unique position that make spells from all the divine lists (Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger) potentially appropriate, so cast a wide net.

Should it work on friends?Absolutely. Maybe make it so that some totem abilities allow him to exclude some allies. (Protection comes to mind, for example.)

Admiral Squish
2010-11-19, 10:05 PM
Really, you just have to ask yourself, why would somebody choose to play this class instead of a cleric? It's got the same BaB, worse spells, worse proficiencies, and a couple not-so-powerful class features.

What I'd suggest is just making the totems. Make them special items based on specific domains that gain special abilities when wielded by clerics with access to the appropriate domains. Maybe you can sacrifice spell slots to power their special abilities? Like, if you sacrifice a spell slot, you gain a bonus to attack and damage with the totem equal to the level of the spell sacrificed, then extra abilities based off the level sacrificed.

Proven_Paradox
2010-11-19, 10:11 PM
The key to making this preferable to Cleric is the totem abilities. They could put this over the edge.

Or, you're playing in a game such as mine where Clerics are banned.

monkman
2010-11-19, 10:19 PM
Really, you just have to ask yourself, why would somebody choose to play this class instead of a cleric? It's got the same BaB, worse spells, worse proficiencies, and a couple not-so-powerful class features.
If i gave this class Full bab, Would you consider using this class?

Admiral Squish
2010-11-19, 10:26 PM
If i gave this class Full bab, Would you consider using this class?

With that alone, no. This needs something significant to make it a different experience from a regular cleric.

monkman
2010-11-20, 12:00 AM
With that alone, no. This needs something significant to make it a different experience from a regular cleric.

I am trying for it to focus on totems, If you think you have a better way to make totems,please tell me(explain if you do this)Also I added the unarmored varriant, Does it look good?

Admiral Squish
2010-11-20, 12:32 AM
Would you mind if I created my own totem-thingies? The idea I'm working on in my head is a little too different from what you're thinking.

As for the rest of it, honestly, I can't make judgments until I see more of these totem abilities. Plus, I really think you need to work on your formatting. You should probably include some clause about having to be wielding a totem for some abilities.

Rumel
2010-11-20, 12:41 PM
Travel:

First:

Second:
You are sped up as if by the "Haste" spell for 2 rounds/Class Levels and may split up the time as he wishes.

Third:

Fourth:

monkman
2010-11-20, 01:11 PM
Would you mind if I created my own totem-thingies? The idea I'm working on in my head is a little too different from what you're thinking.

As for the rest of it, honestly, I can't make judgments until I see more of these totem abilities. Plus, I really think you need to work on your formatting. You should probably include some clause about having to be wielding a totem for some abilities.

I wouldnt mind if you created them though I would like to see it when it would be finshed if that not to much to ask.

Travel:

First:
Not bad, Works with the domain
Second:
Third:
You gain one extra attack on a full-attack option at your highest BAB
The sla should be the Third ability. The extra attack is too much, I would allow a haste for it's class levels X2(Gains the use of haste but with a duration of double it's class levels in one day,(something like that would work)
Fourth:
You gain "Phase Door" at will, but it lasts for only one use
Just give it phase door as a Level 6 spell.

Rumel
2010-11-20, 01:17 PM
Done... What do you think?

monkman
2010-11-20, 03:07 PM
Travel:

First:

Second:
You are sped up as if by the "Haste" spell for 2 rounds/Class Levels and may split up the time to a max of 5 uses a day.

Third:
You gain "Dimension Door" as a SLA 1/day/HD

Fourth:

For the second ability, let it Split the time as he wishes.(no max of 5 times)

Nice work, Ill put it on the 2nd post.

Proven_Paradox
2010-11-20, 03:35 PM
I recommend against relying overmuch on SLAs to make this class work. At some point you have to ask, "Why the hell am I taking this class to get SLAs when I could just be a Cleric or Favored Soul and cast them as actual spells?" Totems completely define this class; you have to put a lot of effort into making them completely unique for things to work out. Your general outline isn't a BAD one, but stay flexible and be ready to adjust the formula to make the class stand out. Maybe some totems add 3rd level spells to the list as a second or third ability instead. Maybe instead of just adding a spell to your list, some totems give some other unique benefit at fourth ability.

I might write a few totems later tonight: I'm actually considering introducing an NPC that utilizes this class in one of my games.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-20, 03:37 PM
Well, it's not completely done, but you can get the general idea from what's up already. Check it out. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176639)

monkman
2010-11-20, 03:43 PM
It's very nice, Could i take this

A Totem is a Two-handed Exotic weapon comprised of a massively thick staff of . A totem is usually made out of blessed materials and lovingly carved and sculpted to depict the holy ideals it stands for. and put if for my totem description?( I think that you can see that im horrible at writing descriptions.)

Admiral Squish
2010-11-20, 03:52 PM
It's very nice, Could i take this
and put if for my totem description?( I think that you can see that im horrible at writing descriptions.)

I apparently missed joining those two sentences together. Here's a fixed version.

A Totem is a Two-handed Exotic weapon, a massively thick staff made of blessed materials, lovingly carved and sculpted to depict the holy ideals it stands for.

monkman
2010-11-20, 09:04 PM
I recommend against relying overmuch on SLAs to make this class work. At some point you have to ask, "Why the hell am I taking this class to get SLAs when I could just be a Cleric or Favored Soul and cast them as actual spells?" Totems completely define this class; you have to put a lot of effort into making them completely unique for things to work out. Your general outline isn't a BAD one, but stay flexible and be ready to adjust the formula to make the class stand out. Maybe some totems add 3rd level spells to the list as a second or third ability instead. Maybe instead of just adding a spell to your list, some totems give some other unique benefit at fourth ability.

I might write a few totems later tonight: I'm actually considering introducing an NPC that utilizes this class in one of my games.
Would ability like this help the class?(Im not sure what level of ability i should put this in, in addition to the normal ability)
Sun
A totem cleric is now able to smite undead as if he was a paladin of the same level(consider this a smite evil that only effect undead). He may uses this a number of time equal to his wisdom modifier.
Good
A totem cleric is now able to smite evil as if he was a paladin of the same level. He may uses this a number of time equal to his wisdom modifier.
Travel
A totem cleric may use a swift action to move up to his land speed. He may use this a number of times equal to his wisdom modifier

monkman
2010-11-21, 07:42 PM
Anyone have something to say?