PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Trap Sense alternatives

mickeymacattack
2010-11-18, 09:41 PM
So I am looking for some alternatives for trap sense on my barbarian, I found one that looks nifty called Spell Sense in Complete Mage on page 35.

To sum up the effect it gives me a +1 dodge bonus to my AC against spells or spell like abilities. However I don't quite understand this as I didn't think you even used AC when determining if you get hit by a spell or not.

Can anyone explain please? Or perhaps give other alternatives to trap sense?

Thanks.

Eldariel
2010-11-18, 09:46 PM
So I am looking for some alternatives for trap sense on my barbarian, I found one that looks nifty called Spell Sense in Complete Mage on page 35.

To sum up the effect it gives me a +1 dodge bonus to my AC against spells or spell like abilities. However I don't quite understand this as I didn't think you even used AC when determining if you get hit by a spell or not.

Can anyone explain please? Or perhaps give other alternatives to trap sense?

Thanks.

Many spells, notably all Rays, use attack rolls. Works against those. Personal favorite though, Dungeonscape allows trading it for Trapsense which lets you find Traps with Survival and disable them with ATTACK ROLL. In other words, your role as the frontman of the party just became infinitely less dangerous.

mickeymacattack
2010-11-18, 09:56 PM
Many spells, notably all Rays, use attack rolls. Works against those. Personal favorite though, Dungeonscape allows trading it for Trapsense which lets you find Traps with Survival and disable them with ATTACK ROLL. In other words, your role as the frontman of the party just became infinitely less dangerous.

Yes I actually saw this alternative as well although it wasn't as appealing to me as we have a rogue that ends up doing his just quite nicely.

So basically spell sense will give me a bonus on most "damaging" spells aside from like area effecting ones? I assume this also will not apply to anything requiring a save (fort, reflex, will)?

Greenish
2010-11-18, 09:58 PM
So basically spell sense will give me a bonus on most "damaging" spells aside from like area effecting ones? I assume this also will not apply to anything requiring a save (fort, reflex, will)?It applies to anything that requires an attack roll.

Last Laugh
2010-11-18, 10:35 PM
It applies to anything that requires an attack roll.

certain attack spells do allow a save for instance (orb of X)
it will not avoid many potent spells (magic missile, evard's black tentacles, solid fog, grease) but it will save you some HP over the course of the game.

Thurbane
2010-11-18, 10:41 PM
It applies to anything that requires an attack roll.
Yep - so it won't offer any protection from Magic missile, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Cloudkill or anything of the sort; but it will help against Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray, Enervation etc.

true_shinken
2010-11-18, 10:41 PM
Spell sense is cool, but trapkiller is SO DAMN FUNNY

dgnslyr
2010-11-18, 10:46 PM
I second Trapkiller. It's Awesome and Practical.

mickeymacattack
2010-11-18, 11:55 PM
certain attack spells do allow a save for instance (orb of X)
it will not avoid many potent spells (magic missile, evard's black tentacles, solid fog, grease) but it will save you some HP over the course of the game.

So how exactly are these spells determined then? I understand AE spells or things like mind effecting spells but why would a magic missile not apply but an acid arrow would?

I guess I really don't understand the spell system that well and looking through the players handbook it doesn't seem to give a clear understanding to how it works either, or is each individual spell handled differently?