PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

PersonofJid
2010-11-18, 10:50 PM
1) Would truespeech work in an anti-magic field? I'm assuming that truename magic wouldn't seeing how it's called truename "magic", but one doesn't have to be a truenamer to use truespeech. The reason I ask this is because I'm running a campaign where a friend of mine is playing a fiendbinder, and I want to know if his control over his fiends would be suppressed if he entered an AMF.

2) I have heard that if you were to cast a mind-affecting spell on a helpless subject, then they wouldn't get a save. Is this true? If so, is this written somewhere?

Flickerdart
2010-11-18, 10:58 PM
1) I believe truenames are SLAs and thus wouldn't work in an AMF.
2) Helpless subjects are considered willing for all spells, not just mind-affecting spells.

Psyren
2010-11-18, 11:48 PM
1) Would truespeech work in an anti-magic field? I'm assuming that truename magic wouldn't seeing how it's called truename "magic", but one doesn't have to be a truenamer to use truespeech. The reason I ask this is because I'm running a campaign where a friend of mine is playing a fiendbinder, and I want to know if his control over his fiends would be suppressed if he entered an AMF.

The fiendbinder's binding ability is Supernatural, and thus suppressed in an AMF. Regular truespeech is an SLA. and would also be suppressed. (The distinction is important - if the fiendbinding ability was an SLA, it could be dispelled.)

2) I have heard that if you were to cast a mind-affecting spell on a helpless subject, then they wouldn't get a save. Is this true? If so, is this written somewhere?

Your target is considered willing (handy for things like Teleport) but I believe they still get a save.

Hironomus
2010-11-19, 12:29 AM
if the rules say it would be supressed then go with that, I am sure that information is trustworthy.
But it does seem alittle weird to me.
I mean the words have power coz they are fundemental to the existence of the object or creature they are used on right? So this seems like alittle more than a magic trick to me.
I guess I am wondering how exactly it would work.
would your knowledge of the fiends truename just cease to have any power over him? this seems odd to me. its still their true name, and you still know it.
a more sensical explanation for me would be something like they are temporarily inexplicably unable to recall any truenames or unable to utter them or something.
incidently I love the idea of supressing a fiendbinders abilities... very devious.

Flickerdart
2010-11-19, 12:31 AM
Your target is considered willing (handy for things like Teleport) but I believe they still get a save.
You don't get a save if you're willing to accept a spell. :smallconfused:

Hironomus
2010-11-19, 12:40 AM
You don't get a save if you're willing to accept a spell. :smallconfused:

True for reflex and will probably, but fort saves are totally passive mostly I think.

Psyren
2010-11-19, 12:42 AM
@ Flickerdart: True, and my mistake. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm) is the ruling.

So you are only automatically willing if unconscious (not merely helpess.)

Vladislav
2010-11-19, 12:55 AM
Nightmare (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nightmare.htm) only affects sleeping creatures and has "Will Neg"; which leads me to believe sleeping creatures get Will saves.

Also, the description of helpless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#helpless) says nothing about failing Will saves.

Douglas
2010-11-19, 01:47 AM
The generally accepted (by most people, I think, though a significant number will dispute it) interpretation is that unconscious people are considered "willing" specifically for the purpose of spells such as Teleport that specify they only work on willing targets, and that this status has nothing to do with the option to voluntarily fail a saving throw. Thus, sleeping people can be Teleported (plus a few other normally friendlies-only spells) without their consent, but they still get saves whenever applicable.

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-19, 02:03 AM
The generally accepted (by most people, I think, though a significant number will dispute it) interpretation is that unconscious people are considered "willing" specifically for the purpose of spells such as Teleport that specify they only work on willing targets, and that this status has nothing to do with the option to voluntarily fail a saving throw. Thus, sleeping people can be Teleported (plus a few other normally friendlies-only spells) without their consent, but they still get saves whenever applicable.

I'm going to back this up - I've seen this argument before and this has always seemed like the best solution just in terms of how it affects your game. It's also my honest interpretation of the RAW on the matter, so that too.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-19, 03:33 PM

+1

It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

faceroll
2010-11-19, 03:40 PM

I also rule it the same.

Otodetu
2010-11-19, 03:53 PM

This is what i roll with.