Ok, well I'm creating a PC right now, and it goes something like this:

Psi War4/HalfGiant1

Important Feats: Subduing Strike, Improved Unarmed and Improved Grapple

Current Powers-
1Enlarge
1Grip of Iron
1Call Armor
2Animal Affinity

I'm thinking of giving him around 30lbs of shapesand which will cover most of his tool needs, chains, manacles and locks from his previous days.

Background-
Basically the sheriff/protector of a small desert city, fended off bugs and lizards and raiders of all kinds earning him the XP in the inner-city adventures and sometimes out of the city walls. He WAS LG and blessed by passing shamen who he is unaware of were celestial messengers who granted him his freaking sweet war mace of +1 awesome (6.5k out of 9k starting gold sunk into it) that is made out of celestial materials he is unaware of... it generally makes evil creatures have a very bad day.

He always has been a peacekeeper, he uses his powers to grow and grapple to try and disarm and wrestle them to the ground when he can, and thanks to subduing strike he uses his mace to wind them and floor them without causing any permanent harm. Once they are disabled or unconscious he binds them in shackles or chains and locks them up until they can be dealt with. Basic cop setup-- dragon-slaying sized truncheon, arrest and cuff.

One of the raids on the city did go down badly though, he got one of the trained bugs' stingers through his chest severely poisoning him and by the time he woke up most of the people in the city had already been killed, eaten and whathaveyou, waking up to all this he had a moral crisis and fled the city leaving the rather large group of bandits to do what they were doing to the rest of it.

Because he was forced to admit his own inability to protect the city coupled with the failure in doing so and not being brave enough to try and save the rest or even go back to it he is now CN and is quite torn up inside-- he found a group of scoundrels which he protects, he has a lawful good mentality but that has been broken and is now a bodyguard for his friends, a gnome illusionist, an elf bard and a pixie rogue.

He is unaware, but the city in the years since has been completely seized by the bandit troupe and turned into a slave trading hub and great central undercity for the desert, a huge accomplishment for desert crime and a stronghold for the bandit leaders responsible including several bandit leaders from surrounding raider groups.

---------------------------------

So, what accents this nicely? What items would be good for this? (Keeping in mind I only have a couple platinum left to work with)

BridgeCity
2010-11-19, 03:28 AM
In terms of prestige classes, if you decide to take one, make sure you look at Justicar (complete warrior I think). It is all about subduing badguys and bringing them back alive to face justice.

Edit: Just took a look at Justicar and you need to be Lawful. I'm sure if you worked out a good fluff reason the DM would consider changing this.

Lev
2010-11-19, 03:50 AM
In terms of prestige classes, if you decide to take one, make sure you look at Justicar (complete warrior I think). It is all about subduing badguys and bringing them back alive to face justice.

Edit: Just took a look at Justicar and you need to be Lawful. I'm sure if you worked out a good fluff reason the DM would consider changing this.
Unfortunately, the first 2 levels of that PrC would be giving me feats I already have as class features, and to take the PrC I need to waste 15 skillpoints and a feat for no other reason but to qualify.

That being said I REALLY like the hog-tie ability it has, and might just have to make a homebrew class because of it, especially if I stick a return crystal in the manacles so I can draw them as a free action.

BridgeCity
2010-11-19, 06:11 AM
Unfortunately, the first 2 levels of that PrC would be giving me feats I already have as class features, and to take the PrC I need to waste 15 skillpoints and a feat for no other reason but to qualify.

That being said I REALLY like the hog-tie ability it has, and might just have to make a homebrew class because of it, especially if I stick a return crystal in the manacles so I can draw them as a free action.

That hog-tie ability is awesome. My DM sent a bounty hunter up against us once, the Bounty Hunter won initiative and in the first round of combat I was grappled, pinned and tied up - all on the bounty hunter's first turn.

Our psion then decided to try phantasmal killer for a laugh and the bounty hunter rolled a 1 on it's save, so he died in the first round as well, but the hog-tie was brutally effective.

Lev
2010-11-19, 06:50 AM
Yeah it sounds like it, and I would have a +28 or so to grapple by the time I have a +5BAB when powered up.

I was thinking that creating tattoos or something to tap to get instant 1st level powers would be a good way to buff and minimize rounds since it would take me 3 rounds to fully power up and another round to start attacking.

Enlarge buffs me and my weapons size, improves reach, lowers AC, raises strength and grapple.

Call armor buffs AC through the roof, around +9.

Animal Affinity CAN be used, but really it's only thrown in for when I absolutely must have an extra +4 into a stat.

So the 2 options I'm liking right now is a mixture between a homebrew mod of justicular and Hulking Hurler (that works with powerful build, right? If not then I can use it when I'm magically grown, right? =])

Also, for the meantime until I get hogtie, there are rules for a 3 round pin KO I believe, anyone know where they are?

BridgeCity
2010-11-19, 07:06 AM
Sounds like alot of fun.

According to the RAW, powerful build only applies to opposed checks where a size modifer is applicable, when determining if a creatures special attacks that rely on size work (for example swallow whole) and in determining what size weapons a goliath can use.

It doesn't say that you actually count as large size for all things that require it, but I'd have a chat with your DM - I feel that a goliath hulking hurler is fitting and so I'd allow it. And yeah I'm pretty sure it works with magical enlargement, which powerfull build actually stacks with, so thats nice.

The 3 round KO is, as far as I know, only found in the Reaping Mauler prestige class in Complete Warrior.

Lev
2010-11-19, 07:24 AM
This is from oriental adventures, but theres GOTTA be an errata for this somewhere.

CHOKE HOLD [GENERAL]
You have learned the correct way to apply pressure to render an
opponent unconscious.
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved
Grapple, Stunning Fist.
Benefit: If you pin your opponent while grappling and
maintain the pin for 1 full round, at the end of the round
your opponent must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 +
1/2 your level + your Wisdom modifier). If the saving throw
fails, your opponent falls unconscious for 1d3 rounds.

BridgeCity
2010-11-19, 07:30 AM
Looking through the errata I have for oriental adventures, there are no changes made to that feat.

Lev
2010-11-19, 07:47 AM
Well, dipping 1 level into monk seems like the only practical way to go about this at my level since stunning fist as a fast has a +8BAB requirement.

A dip into monk costs -1 manifester level, -1BAB, -1 power, -2 PP, and some stale roleplaying fluff.

Bonus is a total of +5 spread into various saves, and better damage while grappling.

Monks get 2 free feats, I'd need both for choke hold so the feat I spent on unarmed will go directly to chokehold and I'd break even.

I kinda don't want to do that though, I'd rather just beat the tar outta them with low unarmed damage than be forced to integrate monk fluff and crunch.

Darrin
2010-11-19, 05:16 PM
Looking through the errata I have for oriental adventures, there are no changes made to that feat.

The OA Web Errata doesn't include all the changes from Dragon #318.

However, Choke Hold wasn't updated in Dragon #318.

BridgeCity
2010-11-20, 03:51 AM
Well, dipping 1 level into monk seems like the only practical way to go about this at my level since stunning fist as a fast has a +8BAB requirement.

A dip into monk costs -1 manifester level, -1BAB, -1 power, -2 PP, and some stale roleplaying fluff.

Bonus is a total of +5 spread into various saves, and better damage while grappling.

Monks get 2 free feats, I'd need both for choke hold so the feat I spent on unarmed will go directly to chokehold and I'd break even.

I kinda don't want to do that though, I'd rather just beat the tar outta them with low unarmed damage than be forced to integrate monk fluff and crunch.

Well, if you are going to use the hog-tie homebrew you are planning, it would make the choke hold obsolete. So yeah, that sounds like a lot to give up for something you will only be using untill your better ability kicks in.