PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 [Spoilers]

Dumbledore lives
2010-11-19, 03:28 AM
I was surprised to see there wasn't a thread about the new film, which came out today or yesterday depending on where you are.

I saw it, and even as I was watching I was thinking about everything that was wrong with it. I quite liked the opening, especially the Obliviate bit which was very touching. There were a huge amount of minor things that I didn't like, especially the tomb at the end which looked way too fake, but overall I found it to be a decent movie.

I'm looking to see the playground's opinions on it. What did you guys think?

Jerthanis
2010-11-19, 06:00 AM
The thread is marked as a Spoiler thread, so I'm not going to spoiler this... as fair warning, I'm pretty spoileriffic here.

I thought it was by far the most faithful recreation of the events depicted in the book... for better or worse.

See, I sort of thought Book 7 had the most cuttable material of any book in the series. When I first heard they were going to split this movie in two, I thought about what exactly happened in the first half of the book and I couldn't imagine them choosing not to cut huge portions of it.

They didn't.

I felt like I was right back there, reading about Harry, Ron and Hermione sitting in a tent for months complaining and doing nothing.

The beginning was uncannily strong and really surprised me. The '*()#$'s got serious, yo" tone snagged me immediately, and a lot of very good humor hit right away, making for a very enjoyable first act. I seriously felt goosebumps when they went into Grimmauld Place and they heard a bump somewhere off in the darkness. That's how well the tension was suspended for the first act. The image of naked Harry saying in Fleur's voice, "Look away, I'm hideous" will bring a smile to my face for weeks to come.

My only issues with the first act were carryovers from the book... Like: We never knew Mad Eye Moody, since the guy we got to know in Goblet turned out to be Barty Crouch Jr. Because of this, his death is a complete non-starter. Hedwig, similarly, had no major role in any of the books, and having no purpose or character, her death could only evoke the bare minimum reaction that the death of an innocent animal can. We don't spend enough time with the supporting cast to really care about them. This was an entire movie where we never see Hogwarts, even though the movies aren't bound to the shackles of needing to put Harry in every scene.

Once they got the locket and went into hiding the movie hit the inevitable wall. I knew it was coming and still wasn't ready for it. I wasn't expecting the Love Triangle idea to be set up so well, considering Ron's feelings of inadequacy next to Harry were never a major facet of his character in the movies like it was in the books. This conflict for Ron was the culmination of his character in the books, but in the movies they only had as much as they gave us in the span of just the second act of this movie itself to really establish this. The fact that they did pretty good speaks volumes of the skill behind these scenes. It was surprising to see so much blood, and to see the Harry/Hermione illusion appear naked. It really struck home the fact that when HP&tSS was released, I was 10 years old and while waiting after buying my ticket, I walked to the bar across the street with a bunch of other people there to see the movie.

Once again, most of my complaints are carryovers from the book. The second act deals a lot in the prescience of Dumbledore. The items and advice he gave were so precise and well timed that it's hard to swallow that the hand of some higher being isn't authoring these scenes. Not enough of the plot is the result of the actions of the protagonists, and comes off as just "random stuff happens for a while".

The third act felt a little rushed, but honestly I was getting pretty tired by this point, so I may be a little unfair to it. More stuff happens to the lost and confused trio, they learn about the Deathly Hallows. I actually have to admit, I hated the Deathly Hallows in the book because I was so angry at this new plot element that had never been mentioned or built up to previously. Seeing the story behind the Hallows again, I have to say I understand their purpose better now. Also I'm ten times as smart now as I was when I read book 7 for the first time.

So yeah... extremely well made adaptation of one of the weakest books in the series, structurally speaking. Could this movie have been condensed to one 180 minute movie better than almost any other book in the series? Yes. Does that leave the plot a little thin for this movie? Yes. Does it stop the movie from being thoroughly enjoyable? Not in the slightest.

Xondoure
2010-11-19, 06:32 AM
I loved it and am now intensely angry that they didn't do all of the movies since four like this. If they had hired more cgi workers it would have taken just as long to get to here with a lot more well done films. I thought the whole thing was truckloads better than the others. The only thing it suffered from was the side characters being hard to connect with since we never saw them in the films (which for the most part it does a good job of fixing: dobby…) and the interaction between Harry and Ginny which even before George came in had the chemistry of a dead rat. Scene would have been twice as funny if the kiss had actually been touching (still hilarious though.)

Also I agree with the seventh having a lot of stuff they could have cut, but I still feel even if they had cut the boring bits the good stuff still would have been too long for a good final film.

Astrella
2010-11-19, 06:38 AM
I liked it overall.

I was a bit disappointed at Dumbledore's history not being investigated more thoroughly. Grindelwald for example is mentioned and shown in the movie, without any mention of who he really is.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-19, 08:09 AM
I thought the movie was awesome, probably the most faithful adaptation yet. :smallbiggrin: And since I liked the 7th book, I've got no problem with that.
I suspect they're saving the Dumbledore exposition for when Harry talks to him later, which I think is good. Otherwise there would have been a lot of reading from books. I liked the way they handled the 3 Brothers story.

They changed a bunch of little things. They left out one of my favorite Weasley Twin jokes, which is when they turn into Harry, look at each other and exclaim "We're identical!" I'm pleased that they left out the character assassination of Lupin ("Waaah, I'm married, my life sucks"). Maybe they'll actually give him a death scene!
The actors who played the main 3 when they were Polyjuiced at the ministry were excellent. It also cracked me up how Draco and Neville do not look at all like 17-year-olds anymore.
All of the parts with the snake were rather "OH GOSH THIS WOULD HAVE MADE YOU PISS YOUR PANTS IF YOU SAW IT IN 3D". But Bathilda Bagshot was genuinely creepy, that scene was awesome.
They changed very little, so I am not angry at this movie at all! I'll probably go see it again! And I really look forward to the 2nd one, where we get less whining, and Neville being badass!

Helanna
2010-11-19, 01:00 PM
Actually, they did have the "We're identical" joke, but it was kind of in the background and hard to hear.

But yeah, I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would. It was a really good adaptation. And even the 'wandering around in the woods doing nothing' parts weren't as boring as I thought they'd be.

The only thing that marred my enjoyment was the running death list in my head. Most of them won't happen until the next movie, but still. :smallfrown: It was pretty depressing.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-19, 02:10 PM
Oh they did have that joke? Good thing I'm seeing it again!

The Extinguisher
2010-11-19, 02:28 PM
I saw it at the midnight screening.
Which means that afterwards I had to hear everyone pick apart all the little things that we're different from the book.

I throughly enjoyed the movie for what it was though. The books and the movies are much different. The movies are actiony, and adventurey (which is why the sixth movie wasn't as strong, as the book wasn't), and the action scenes here were very well done.

I did hear a good point though. The movie is supposed to be about the Hallows, right? So why didn't we see the Invisibility Cloak at all? That's probably my only complaint. All the "this isn't exactly the same as in the books" complaints don't really bug me, but I feel leaving out something as important as the cloak is kinda weird. But maybe they're going for a surprise reveal in Part 2 or something.

Delusion
2010-11-20, 05:15 AM
I think that half the theather cried when Dobby died.

Oh and the gestabo wizards where funny :smallbiggrin:

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-20, 05:39 AM
I am disappointed, VERY disappointed. :smallfurious:

Mystic Muse
2010-11-20, 05:42 AM
I only had a few complaints.

I did notice quite a few points where they didn't follow the book, but with the exception of 3, I didn't care.

The argument at the start (Some character development for Dudley)
Harry giving Kreacher the amulet (and subsequent getting nicer to Harry and friends)
Wormtail didn't commit suicide.

I felt they should have left those in. Would have taken about ten maybe more minutes I think.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-20, 05:54 AM
What I really hate about all of the films (with the exception of the first and perhaps second), is how in the novels when they ned to explain something there's a bit of development in the way things that are unknown are brought into the mind of the reader and some plot development in the reveal of the solution. All of the films, from 3 onwards, hardly explain anything and if they absolutely have to they kind of fall over it and hope no one notices.

Like how Neville found the Room of Requirement in the 5th movie.

In this film, the worst offender for me was the sword of Griffindor part. In the novel of course, Snape finds out where Harry and Hermione are through Phineas who is in Hermione's bag. None of this is done in the film, we just see the doe appear out of nowhere and I very much doubt that they're bother going to explain it in the second part.

Moonshadow
2010-11-20, 07:38 AM
I only had a few complaints.

I did notice quite a few points where they didn't follow the book, but with the exception of 3, I didn't care.

The argument at the start (Some character development for Dudley)
Harry giving Kreacher the amulet (and subsequent getting nicer to Harry and friends)
Wormtail didn't commit suicide.

I felt they should have left those in. Would have taken about ten maybe more minutes I think.

Wormtail didn't commit suicide in the book, Voldemort's silver hand killed him for hesitating.

The Glyphstone
2010-11-20, 07:46 AM
Wormtail didn't commit suicide in the book, Voldemort's silver hand killed him for hesitating.

That depends on your definition of suicide. It being Wormtail's hand, it was technically...involuntary suicide?:smallconfused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-20, 08:38 AM
I enjoyed it to a degree, it was very faithful to the book, which while enjoyable, again, to a degree, both were long and kind of vague and aimless... but by no means bad.

It just lacked something though. Despite the length it somehow lacked depth. Also despite being half the book it was sort of rushed.

As mentioned I really wish they had had that Dudley scene. The Obliviate was very well done however. Emma Watson is an exceptional actress.

My favorite scene, to my surprise was Neville standing up like a man and telling off those idiot Death Eaters. That was awesome :smallamused:

Worst scene? Anything with Daniel Radcliffe shirtless.

*bends over his puke-pail*

Sinfonian
2010-11-20, 01:29 PM
I enjoyed it to a degree, it was very faithful to the book, which while enjoyable, again, to a degree, both were long and kind of vague and aimless... but by no means bad.

It just lacked something though. Despite the length it somehow lacked depth. Also despite being half the book it was sort of rushed.

As mentioned I really wish they had had that Dudley scene. The Obliviate was very well done however. Emma Watson is an exceptional actress.

Pretty much this. I liked the movie overall, it had a good sense of dramatic tension (especially in the early part of the movie).

I thought that Hermione's Obliviate scene was one that really did an excellent job of showing the character's commitment to the task and explaining her later actions. I thought they did a good job of playing up her regret for it in later scenes without hitting the audience over the head with it. I hope to see more from Emma Watson in the future.

However, my biggest complaint was one that stemmed directly from the fact that they were cutting as little as possible: the chronology was incredibly wacky. There's never any indication of how much time has passed in between scenes, be it hours, days, or weeks. That's something that could have been fixed with small changes in the cinematography.

Small things that were cut that I missed: the aforementioned Dudley scene, Patronus animals being used as messengers (Kingsley's as a ball of light that shot out pictures irked me), the actual announcement that Tonks was pregnant (she got cut off), Sirius's room was nothing like described in the book (I understand the letter was cut for pacing, but I miss it nonetheless), and Kreacher being given the locket (much less of a small thing, especially since I liked his appearance at the Battle of Hogwarts).

Edit: I forgot to heap praise on the well-done bit with the story of the Three Brothers. They took a scene that could have been either boring (with people just talking) or silly (if they'd had people act it out) and made it something unique and interesting.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-20, 01:33 PM
Ok, just thought of something that has nothing to do with the movies, but... why is it most magical families live out in the middle of nowhere in some enchanted looking locale far from anyone... while the muggle-hating, pure-blood fanatics lived literally pressed in between said muggles?

Am I missing something? :smallconfused:

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 01:36 PM
Ok, just thought of something that has nothing to do with the movies, but... why is it most magical families live out in the middle of nowhere in some enchanted looking locale far from anyone... while the muggle-hating, pure-blood fanatics lived literally pressed in between said muggles?

Am I missing something? :smallconfused:

A line from Discworld (Unseen Academicals) springs to mind.

"That at least is easy." said Doctor Hix. "It's hard to truly hate someone who lives a long way away. But you see a neighbour's warts every day."

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-20, 01:42 PM
Also, many of the muggle-haters are higher-ups at the ministry, which is in the middle of London.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-20, 01:57 PM
Despite the length it somehow lacked depth. Also despite being half the book it was sort of rushed.

It's more like 3/4, I had a look at my book when I got home.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-20, 02:18 PM
The next quarter of the book has a lot of action though, as well as a bunch of Dumbledore exposition. I'll be interested to see how they pull it off.

Cristo Meyers
2010-11-20, 02:27 PM

My favorite scene, to my surprise was Neville standing up like a man and telling off those idiot Death Eaters. That was awesome :smallamused:

Also agreed. I enjoyed this about as much as I can enjoy anything Harry Potter. I'm not much of a fan, but at least this wasn't the absolutely wretched thing that was the last movie.

I enjoyed myself well enough, not knowing much of anything that's actually going on (and mentally singing Another One Bites the Dust anytime another character got whacked...). I also thought Neville standing up to the Deatheaters was a great moment for him, as was Dobby's "Dobby has no masters!" moment.

The shining moment for me was the retelling of that tale. It was an interesting animation style and actually captured my attention, a good thing after spending half the time muttering to myself "Why don't you just throw the damn locket in the fires of Mount Dhoom..."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-20, 04:02 PM
...a good thing after spending half the time muttering to myself "Why don't you just throw the damn locket in the fires of Mount Dhoom..."
HAHA! I literally looked over at my sister and her group and went, "And now he must cast it back into that fiery chasm from whence it came!"

He even looks like a Hobbit.

skywalker
2010-11-20, 04:53 PM
The beginning was uncannily strong and really surprised me. The '*()#$'s got serious, yo" tone snagged me immediately, and a lot of very good humor hit right away, making for a very enjoyable first act. I seriously felt goosebumps when they went into Grimmauld Place and they heard a bump somewhere off in the darkness. That's how well the tension was suspended for the first act. The image of naked Harry saying in Fleur's voice, "Look away, I'm hideous" will bring a smile to my face for weeks to come.

I concur. From the very start, I was thinking "damn, what happened to shiny, happy-go-lucky life?"

My only issues with the first act were carryovers from the book... Like: We never knew Mad Eye Moody, since the guy we got to know in Goblet turned out to be Barty Crouch Jr. Because of this, his death is a complete non-starter. Hedwig, similarly, had no major role in any of the books, and having no purpose or character, her death could only evoke the bare minimum reaction that the death of an innocent animal can. We don't spend enough time with the supporting cast to really care about them. This was an entire movie where we never see Hogwarts, even though the movies aren't bound to the shackles of needing to put Harry in every scene.

Again concur. I heard "Mad-eye's dead" and thought "meh." And then thought "I cried about that when I read it." Same thing with Hedwig, like you said. I found it interesting. In the book, we get a simple comment from Hermione about obliviating her parents, and it kinda rolls on by. In the movie, they really make this moment hit home. By contrast, Hedwig in the books is literally Harry's lifeline to his "real family" throughout the early books, and so her death is rough. In the film, they use it as an easier plot point than "Harry's unwillingness to kill makes it obvious he's the real Harry." I honestly thought when he turned her loose from the cage, she might get to live. Oh, well.

I wasn't expecting the Love Triangle idea to be set up so well, considering Ron's feelings of inadequacy next to Harry were never a major facet of his character in the movies like it was in the books. This conflict for Ron was the culmination of his character in the books, but in the movies they only had as much as they gave us in the span of just the second act of this movie itself to really establish this. The fact that they did pretty good speaks volumes of the skill behind these scenes.

I again concur. The Big Three all did some nice acting throughout this portion, IMO.

and the interaction between Harry and Ginny which even before George came in had the chemistry of a dead rat. Scene would have been twice as funny if the kiss had actually been touching (still hilarious though.)

Oh, George just sitting there with his tea. Classic.

I think that half the theather cried when Dobby died.

I didn't. I wanted to, but... It was just poorly done. Luna's presence was all out of whack, interrupting Harry's moment with the elf, and I think Dobby went on too long before he died. If he had gone out with "Dobby is a free elf!" it would have been classic (say, maybe, like it was in the book). As it was, though, the scene felt rushed and wrong. Why does Hermione just sit there? Of course she can't do anything to save Dobby, but the fact that she has the opportunity to rush over there and just sits there shaking her head seems... inadequate. And then the burial was also inadequate. Harry digs a little whole, they wrap him in a sheet, and then they put him in. Nobody puts any clothes on him, nobody says anything, no rock carving that says "here lies Dobby, a free elf," nothing.

SO! The time between landing on the beach and Dobby dying was far too long. Too much talking, famous last words, etc. But the time AFTER was far too short. I always thought the scene where Harry digs the grave (6FT! into the ground) was very powerful. I think even a short montage showing him digging, and sweating, and basically beating his anger and sadness out of himself, and then the characters doing even half of what they did for Dobby in the book would have been a better usage of time than Dobby's "I'm happy to die here, with my friends, blah blah blah" final words.

In this film, the worst offender for me was the sword of Griffindor part. In the novel of course, Snape finds out where Harry and Hermione are through Phineas who is in Hermione's bag. None of this is done in the film, we just see the doe appear out of nowhere and I very much doubt that they're bother going to explain it in the second part.

Here's my opinion, spoilered for those who want to be potentially surprised (Spoilers for Part 2 for those who haven't read the book):
Just before the Patronus shows up, Harry is looking into the mirror and catches a glimpse of Aberforth. I think that is how they will explain how the sword got to be where it got to be.

Sirius's room was nothing like described in the book (I understand the letter was cut for pacing, but I miss it nonetheless),

I agree. The description of Sirius' room in the book was always very vivid for me (and reminded me of the first time Harry walks into Ron's bedroom, which is like "walking into a furnace" because of all the Cannons banners) and I doubt it would have run up the budget much more (especially compared to all the CGI). It also would have given Sirius more character, but I guess it's silly to waste time and money giving character to someone who is already dead?

Edit: I forgot to heap praise on the well-done bit with the story of the Three Brothers. They took a scene that could have been either boring (with people just talking) or silly (if they'd had people act it out) and made it something unique and interesting.

I was quite impressed. One of my favorite scenes of the movie, and you're right to say it was quite unique and interesting when it could have been much less.

Dumbledore lives
2010-11-20, 08:19 PM
That was one of the things I really didn't like about the films, I felt nothing for the deaths. I mean Moody was barely in the movies, but even knowing him from the books didn't help, there was just nothing there. The same thing can be said for Hedwig, in that even though she has been there always, and now she's gone I still felt nothing. I don't know how they could of handled them better, but I'm sure they could have. I did find it kind of nice that the music cut out right after Moody died though, that was a decent effect.

Dobby's death however, the whole speech before that was nice I guess, but felt way too long. I mean everyone was just standing there, and there was no real tension. The whole scene was very sudden in the book, just boom, apparate in, apparate out, something is wrong. In the film it was very drawn out, which I felt lessened the impact a huge amount, and was less of a shock moment. I suppose for someone not having read the books it would be kind of unexpected, but to everyone who had it was a foregone conclusion, and was way to drawn out.

I felt the same for the Snitch, given at the beginning, a third of the way through Hermionie talks about flesh memories, and then only about two thirds of the way through does Harry actually open it. This annoyed me a huge amount, simply because I was expecting it to happen at the beginning, and since it didn't then then at least at the mention of flesh memories. I don't even understand why they drew it out, it just seemed pointless to me.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-20, 08:35 PM
Luna's spech at Dobby's funeral was sorely missing. "It's so unfair you had to die, when you are so good and brave."

Vaynor
2010-11-20, 09:02 PM
Dobby's death however, the whole speech before that was nice I guess, but felt way too long. I mean everyone was just standing there, and there was no real tension. The whole scene was very sudden in the book, just boom, apparate in, apparate out, something is wrong. In the film it was very drawn out, which I felt lessened the impact a huge amount, and was less of a shock moment. I suppose for someone not having read the books it would be kind of unexpected, but to everyone who had it was a foregone conclusion, and was way to drawn out.

They had to give people who don't know the story a good reason to feel sad when he died, I think.

Viera Champion
2010-11-20, 09:33 PM
I saw this with a friend of mine and since we went alone and she was a girl my stepmom immediately said that that made it a date.

Anyways, Umbridge is a bitch. So is Bellatrix, but at least she is a crazy one so it makes her cool. Though they both were portrayed by excellent actors.

Also, they managed to make me cry even though the movie had just started. I mean, you can't tell me that Hermione erasing every last trace of herself in her family isn't sad.

The whole scene with the multiple Harry's was fairly humorous. I loved when Bill's girlfriend turned into Harry and still had the bra on.

And the scene where they are running through the woods to escape the snatchers was way to Twilight-esque.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-20, 09:43 PM
Just came back from seeing; I have to say that since most of my friends told me the movie was bad, that it didn't quite captured the book, mind you my non-geek friends, I went into the theatre expecting to leave the cinema in Nerdrage. And to my surprise I am actually quite pleased with how the movie turned out.

True some parts felt rushed, or came extremely out of the blue, If you hadn't read the books (Bill introduction and wedding for example); but what they got right was good.

I have to admit that I loved how the tale of the three brothers scene played out, the animation style was superb. And to be honest it remind me of the traditional way Don Quixote is portrayed, an "art" (because I lack a better word for it) that I enjoy far too much.

Emma Watson is gorgeous, yes that is my closing argument >_> <_<

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-20, 09:44 PM
i loved the humour (i swear, when george walked in with a tooth brush in his former ear....)
also i kinda liked the snacher's dialouge:
Scabior: "What happened to you, ugly?"
Greyback: *looks at Scabior*
Scabior: "No, not you."

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-20, 09:53 PM
Wait, was that snatcher Greyback? Fenrir Greyback, AKA the werewolf that bit Remus Lupin and Bill Weasley?.... I think I remember him in the book; but on the movie I couldn't recognize him.

In other news, it might be a good idea for me to read the book again.

MandibleBones
2010-11-20, 10:22 PM
Wait, was that snatcher Greyback? Fenrir Greyback, AKA the werewolf that bit Remus Lupin and Bill Weasley?.... I think I remember him in the book; but on the movie I couldn't recognize him.

It is, actually. He's in Half Blood Prince, too (the movie), though it's never really explicitly said.

The_Admiral
2010-11-21, 02:54 AM
Just watched it

ShaggyMarco
2010-11-21, 07:55 AM
Luna's presence was all out of whack, interrupting Harry's moment with the elf, and I think Dobby went on too long before he died.

To be fair, Luna's lines about closing Dobby's eyes and looking like he's sleeping are straight from the novel. Dobby might linger too long though, I agree with you there.

All of that said, I loved it. I feel like it is the best adaptation to date. I love that they took time during the running around the woods part that fell a little flat in the novel to develop the characters. I actually wasn't bored during that section in the film.

I did miss Dudley's one redeeming moment in the series. DId they have the Dudley actor come back? They never show his face except from a distance, very blurry. You only ever hear his voice. I am wondering if, maybe, they cut Dudley's Crowning Moment of Decency because they didn't have Dudley (or he has gotten so thin and/or fit her no longer looks like Dudley).

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-21, 08:20 AM
Dobby's death was a lot sadder then it was in the book. Well, IMO anyway. Also, I was pissed that the thing about Dudley being sorry didn't happen. Especially since they could've.

I did miss Dudley's one redeeming moment in the series. DId they have the Dudley actor come back? They never show his face except from a distance, very blurry. You only ever hear his voice. I am wondering if, maybe, they cut Dudley's Crowning Moment of Decency because they didn't have Dudley (or he has gotten so thin and/or fit her no longer looks like Dudley).
Apparently. According to the Internet, he lost a lot of weight (in a good way) and almost cast someone else, but they decided to be put him in a fat suit instead. I didn't see him either. :smallannoyed:

Lot's of good jokes to be made during the film, most are a bit inapropiate, but whenever The Snitch showed up, I whispered in my friends ear, "Listen! Listen!"

DomaDoma
2010-11-21, 10:40 AM

Nah, the main Snatcher in the movie was Scabior. He totally hammed it up, didn't he? :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2010-11-21, 02:12 PM
As so often happens, I agree with Movie Bob on this; it was well-done.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/2465-Harry-Potter-and-the-Deathly-Hallows-Part-1

Dumbledore lives
2010-11-21, 02:40 PM

From what I've heard they did actually have that scene in the test screenings, with him asking "Why isn't he coming with us?" and Vernon responding "Because he doesn't want to." Apparently it actually worked quite well, which makes it a curiosity that they cut it out. I heard quite a few things were cut out from the test screenings, which are going to be deleted scenes, but some of them make a lot of sense to still actually be in it. I never understand why they cut out some scenes, but leave others in.

For me the dancing scene is one that could have been left out, given it's not in the book, and some scenes like the one above could have been included.

Chambers
2010-11-21, 02:53 PM
I wish they hadn't changed Dobby's death. In the movie when he makes that little speech before they 'port, any experienced troper will know that he's about to die. The thing that made it really hit you in the book was that it was so sudden - there was no buildup. :smallsigh:

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-21, 03:09 PM
For me the dancing scene is one that could have been left out, given it's not in the book, and some scenes like the one above could have been included.

Definitely agree with this. That dancing scene was just the director showing his support of the Harry/Hermione ship.

Athaniar
2010-11-21, 04:48 PM
I just saw it, and I really liked it. Much better than Half-Blood Prince, and very faithful to the book. The Three Brothers part was very well done, as well, surprisingly good.

ShaggyMarco
2010-11-21, 08:40 PM
Definitely agree with this. That dancing scene was just the director showing his support of the Harry/Hermione ship.

I think that turning the boring wandering in the woods part of the book into a mini-arc centered around Ron (and potentially the audience) misunderstanding Harry and Hermione's friendship. It more explicitly sets up the inner battle in Ron that comes to a head when he has to destroy the Horcrux. To really get the drama of Ron running out and then returning to face the Horcrux-Harry and Horcrux-Hermione, the audience, on some level, needs to be aware of the potential of a Hermione/Harry relationship.

While the dancing wasn't in the book, it definitely sets up an internal struggle that is central to the book in an external way.

onthetown
2010-11-21, 08:51 PM
The movies kind of have me weirded out. I really liked book 4, but they did a god awful job with making a movie of it; I didn't really like book 5 but I thought it was one of the best movies in the series.

I didn't like book 7 at all, so I figure the movie will be okay. My mom just got back from seeing it, though, and all she would say was, "I know things don't pick up until the second part of the book, but... they didn't really do anything. They just sort of ran around, acted useless, and didn't achieve anything. It was boring."

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-21, 08:52 PM
Hee. Some of you may have already seen or heard about this. It turns out in the epilogue, instead of choosing new actors to play the main characters as adults they decided to use CGI to age them, poorly. Results in the spoiler.
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/deathlyhallowsoldface.jpg

Psyren
2010-11-21, 09:03 PM
Hee. Some of you may have already seen or heard about this. It turns out in the epilogue, instead of choosing new actors to play the main characters as adults they decided to use CGI to age them, poorly. Results in the spoiler.

Wow, if they pull that off it could spell trouble for aging actors in Hollywood.

Though anything that keeps Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stallone off-screen in their twilight years is a win in my book.

CrimsonAngel
2010-11-21, 09:13 PM
My mother, the woman who's never sad about death, cried about how depressing the ending was. "Gosh, it just makes you want to jump off a cliff"

I bawled after reading the book, so atleast I was prepared when Dobby died this time. I loved how they did the 3 brothers story.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-11-21, 09:30 PM
Having just come back from seeing this (And it was absolutely amazing):

The best:

Hermione's obliviating her family. It had to be done, and it was really emotional...

Die Umbridge Die.

How they turned the slog through the wilderness into Ron's Story.

THE THREE BROTHERS.

The not-as-good:

Why didn't they have the Dudleys saying goodbye? :smallfrown:

I was wondering how they would do the Malfoy Manor scene, and overall it was good (I actually liked the touch of Bellatrix carving "Mudblood" into Hermione's arm), but I'm ticked off that they didn't include Ron flipping out like he did in the book. At one point in the book Ron was so desperate to rescue Hermione that he was trying to apparate without a wand--And he was splinched twice! I'm really upset that the director took that out.

Also, with the director emphasizing the Harry/Hermione ship, I know you may like that ship best, but Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione are canon! Maybe it was because I read the series before I knew about shipping, but even if I feel another relationship should happen, I understand that canon is canon.

Then again, considering my...Predilections for crack pairings, I probably would have done something like Draco/Percy/Luna/Inferi!Cedric and have called it Four Houses or something and...Somebody please stop me.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-21, 09:54 PM
Die Umbridge Die.
YES :smallfurious:

Then again, considering my...Predilections for crack pairings, I probably would have done something like Draco/Percy/Luna/Inferi!Cedric and have called it Four Houses or something and...Somebody please stop me.
*bites head off and chews. Slowly*

Foeofthelance
2010-11-21, 10:16 PM

I was wondering how they would do the Malfoy Manor scene, and overall it was good (I actually liked the touch of Bellatrix carving "Mudblood" into Hermione's arm), but I'm ticked off that they didn't include Ron flipping out like he did in the book. At one point in the book Ron was so desperate to rescue Hermione that he was trying to apparate without a wand--And he was splinched twice! I'm really upset that the director took that out.

Considering what splinching had done to Ron before, I can understand why they cut it out. People would have been confused why he wasn't a total cripple at that point. As far as Bellatrix goes, I admit I found that scene horrifying. Granted, with the way the camera had cut to her back, I also though she had chewed it into Hermione's arm. I tried to reason it as, "No, she had to carve it," but this is Bellatrix we're talking about...

Athaniar
2010-11-22, 09:00 AM
Die Umbridge Die.

Yeah, especially with Harry's ironic echo: "You're lying, Dolores. One mustn't tell a lie."

Awesome.

That's pretty good, actually. I prefer it this way.

Sipex
2010-11-22, 10:34 AM
I found the movie to be a lot more accurate than I expected (especially since 4, 5 and 6 changed so much). It's not 100% accurate but I would put it on the same level as the first 3 movies (slightly different but good).

One of the unfortunate things is the movie now seems out of place with it introducing new characters and trying to give the same impact of the book. If the other recent movies had actually touched on this stuff this movie would be many times better. That said, I understand that it can't be done so I'm just happy they're remaining fairly faithful to the book.

Overall I really enjoyed myself and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-22, 11:23 AM

I am a Harry/Hermione Shpper.... and I really disliked that scene, just because I know how it ends, and it seemed cruel to give such a blatant ship tease, when we all know that won't happen /pseudo rant.

Psyren
2010-11-22, 11:35 AM
Honestly, I was all for Harmione early on, but as I gradually saw them enter the friend zone and Ron get more emotional where she was concerned I realized that Rowling had made the right call.

...at least where Harry was concerned. Personally I think Hermione was better off with a certain swarthy European wizard :smallwink:

http://users1.ml.mindenkilapja.hu/users/harrypotterkalandjai/uploads/krum.gif

I mean, damn.

The Glyphstone
2010-11-22, 11:38 AM
IMAX is amazing (but LOUD). That is all.

Lord Seth
2010-11-22, 12:02 PM
I can't wait for the Bum Review of the movie!

Project_Mayhem
2010-11-22, 12:07 PM
I thought it was the best Harry Potter film so far, especially given I didnt like the earlier ones much.

Most of my opinions have already been said, so I'll add something more important.

At the cinima I watched it in, they had owls! Real owls with handlers! Best publicity stunt ever! :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-11-22, 12:17 PM
I saw it on a 40' wide by 60' tall IMAX theater. Pacific Science Center in Seattle has the largest film format in existance. It was EPIC!

That said, I REALLY hated the forest chase scene. I haven't seen camera work that crappy since Blair Witch Project. Seriously, if felt like the cameraman was on foot chasing after. I actually felt dizzy a couple times, and I don't even get sick on rollercoasters! I understand that it was frantic, but I think the longest camera shot between cuts was about 3/4 of a second.

Dobby stole the show, IMO. The line "Of course, Dobby is an elf!" line is PRICELESS.

And yea...Emma Watson...she simulataneously pulls of sexy AND cute. Like that girl next door that grew up into a Victoria Secret model, its like looking at a hologram from two different angles and seeing it shimmer from one to the other and back again seamlessly. DAMN she looks good in those jeans! :smallcool:

Project_Mayhem
2010-11-22, 12:24 PM
And yea...Emma Watson...she simulataneously pulls of sexy AND cute. Like that girl next door that grew up into a Victoria Secret model, its like looking at a hologram from two different angles and seeing it shimmer from one to the other and back again seamlessly. DAMN she looks good in those jeans! :smallcool:

This is true

The Glyphstone
2010-11-22, 01:41 PM
I saw it on a 40' wide by 60' tall IMAX theater. Pacific Science Center in Seattle has the largest film format in existance. It was EPIC!

That said, I REALLY hated the forest chase scene. I haven't seen camera work that crappy since Blair Witch Project. Seriously, if felt like the cameraman was on foot chasing after. I actually felt dizzy a couple times, and I don't even get sick on rollercoasters! I understand that it was frantic, but I think the longest camera shot between cuts was about 3/4 of a second.

Dobby stole the show, IMO. The line "Of course, Dobby is an elf!" line is PRICELESS.

This man, he is an oracle of wisdom. IMAX is fantastic. Shaky-Cam is irritating and nauseating. Dobby is hilarious. Emma Watson is hawt.:smallbiggrin:

Jayngfet
2010-11-22, 02:51 PM
My only real issue was the antagonists dressing in palette swapped Nazi regalia. I mean was something wrong with the palette swapped KKK suits or something? Did they up and decide now that they were in government they decided they needed to look respectable, and proceeded to roll a 1 on every knowledge(history) check at once?

The colors don't even look that wizardly or threatening. The first time we see those three dispoing of a body I thought they were random Mobsters that wandered in from the set next door. The colors are shiny black and blue, which if you're lucky looks policish.

The battles however were gorgeous. I always thought wand battles couldn't work due to things looking weird, but they somehow managed to pull it off.

Bellatrix throwing the knife however I feel was botched, the angle of it being thrown makes it look like she's just throwing her wand, which doesn't make any sense at all.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-22, 03:19 PM
That's pretty good, actually. I prefer it this way.

I'd be fine with it if Ron looked like someone who might work for the government instead of a freaking child molester.

The Ministry in the last book is definitely Nazi-flavored, so I'm not surprised at the choice of clothing.

The Extinguisher
2010-11-22, 03:25 PM
I'd be fine with it if Ron looked like someone who might work for the government instead of a freaking child molester.

The Ministry in the last book is definitely Nazi-flavored, so I'm not surprised at the choice of clothing.

To be fair, those aren't the Death Eaters though. Those are just the people working for them.

Lillith
2010-11-22, 04:29 PM
I just came back from seeing the movie and I do have to say that I really loved it. Like someone said before it looks like it is a lot more faithful then the other movies. Except for... well... the f'ups they had to cover since they left some stuff out of the last movies.

The story about the three brothers was done wonderfully. I actually choked up a bit with Dobby's and Hedwig's death. For a second I thought Harry was releasing the bird cause they didn't dare to kill her in the movie. But they did. :smallsigh: I'm not an emotional person and I didn't really care for either Dobby or Hedwig, but they managed to choke me up. :smallfrown: What will happen when we get to the characters that I do care for. :smalleek:

Also I have to say that Rupert Grint is a very good actor. He manages to do a lot with just a look or raising his voice a bit. But all three of the main cast seem to have grown into their roles, which makes them even better. (I still find it a shame Emma Watson cut off her pretty hair)

I really have to say that I loved this movie and when it ended I actually had the feeling that I wanted more. If they had said they'd broadcast the second part right after I wouldn't have moved! Honestly if there's going to be a double feature in... June/July? I'll be there and I don't care if I'll have to sit through six hours of movie. (As long as they have a couple of bathroom breaks)

Edit: Actually, I always hated Dobby. I found him a pest and I found him a pain. He was probably one of the most annoying characters in the whole story! AND STILL HIS DEAD AFFECTED ME! WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE?! Curse you movie! Curse you JK Rowling! Oh man I'm going to be a total wreck during the next part...

Eiremauve
2010-11-22, 04:42 PM
This is my favorite adaptation so far, I have a tendency to say that after every movie, but still. It was finally as long as it needed to be, because they split it into two. It was fun seeing it at midnight, noisy, but fun. I loved the Three Brothers bit, the animation style was beautiful, whatever it was, and they had the entire story!

. As far as Bellatrix goes, I admit I found that scene horrifying. Granted, with the way the camera had cut to her back, I also though she had chewed it into Hermione's arm. I tried to reason it as, "No, she had to carve it," but this is Bellatrix we're talking about...

People in my theatre were discussing that, actually: "Did she bite Hermione?!"

They never have the big shouty scenes in the movies. For example, the ending of the third movie was so quiet! In the book, almost everyone CAPSLOCKS at one point or another, but in the movie, just Sirius, and he doesn't scream at Pettigrew like he does in the books, not as much anyway. In the fifth movie, Harry screams at Dumbledore during the scene where Dumbledore tells Harry some things. Not sure why.

The movie is supposed to be about the Hallows, right? So why didn't we see the Invisibility Cloak at all? That's probably my only complaint. All the "this isn't exactly the same as in the books" complaints don't really bug me, but I feel leaving out something as important as the cloak is kinda weird. But maybe they're going for a surprise reveal in Part 2 or something.

Yeah, that is weird. Presumably it is in Hermione's Bag of Holding.

I loved it and am now intensely angry that they didn't do all of the movies since four like this.

They should have done that, or made the movies three hours. Hm, maybe have 4 and 5 be two parters, and let 3 and 6 be three hours.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-22, 08:17 PM
I agree, if there is a double feature in July I will definitely will go and see it.

The Extinguisher
2010-11-22, 11:10 PM
Double feature?

I plan to sit down and watch all 8 movies in a row when it comes out.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-22, 11:41 PM
Double feature?

I plan to sit down and watch all 8 movies in a row when it comes out.

I have done a movie saga marathon thrice on my life, LotR, SW original trilogy
and the complete saga once they were all on DVD.... those were some of the best spent weekends of my life.

It seems that I must add another saga to that list:smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the idea

nolispe
2010-11-23, 01:33 AM
Did any one wlse find the nazi germany references a bit much? I GET IT ALREADY! NAZIS! I SAW THE STORMTROOPER UNIFORMS!

Sinfonian
2010-11-23, 08:51 AM
I have done a movie saga marathon thrice on my life, LotR, SW original trilogy
and the complete saga once they were all on DVD.... those were some of the best spent weekends of my life.

It seems that I must add another saga to that list:smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the idea
I've done the LotR marathon on two occasions. It's not for the faint of heart. With the extended editions, you're looking at something like 12 hours of straight movies. You need to have done some planning to pull it off.

Original Star Wars triology wasn't that bad. Prequel triology was pretty harsh, but that's because it's the prequel triology.

Edit: Back to the original topic, I think I might do all 8 Harry Potter movies as a marathon at some point, but damn that'll be rough.

Lillith
2010-11-23, 01:38 PM
Did any one wlse find the nazi germany references a bit much? I GET IT ALREADY! NAZIS! I SAW THE STORMTROOPER UNIFORMS!
Is it bad that I didn't even notice that? I was thinking more along the lines of 'hey look! The Ministry of Magic has mooks now too!'

Sipex
2010-11-23, 02:24 PM
I liked the nazi references, it's kind of how I imagined the scene in the books

Syka
2010-11-23, 02:29 PM
Jayngft, now I haven't seen the movie (I know! I couldn't resist!), but wizards are notorious for not really...paying attention to Muggle history. I wouldn't be surprised if they only had a cursory knowledge of WWII and then only how it affected the wizarding world.

Also...see it tomorrow maybe! Sometime this week definitely, though!

Xondoure
2010-11-23, 10:17 PM
To be fair, wasn't Grindelwald's attempted takeover around the same time? Seems European wizardry might have been a bit preoccupied.
Actually, does the scale of Voldemort's war bug anyone else? We know there are witches and wizards all over the world so why is it that Britain gets curb stomped by a dark wizard and none of the other wizarding communities does anything?

Pyro
2010-11-23, 11:56 PM
I saw it last night, and overall it was very well done, perhaps one of the best yet. I was a little disappointed the way a few scenes were cut. I don't usually care because I know a book to film adaptation will never be perfectly true to the original text, but in this case a few changes felt a little unnecessary.

I missed the goodbye scene with the Dursleys because it was really Dudley's redeeming moment. Was a shame that it was axed entirely. Some of the action scenes lacked tension because they were drawn out too much. The Dobby scene for example, but I guess that was needed to make his death more affecting. I felt though the confrontation in Godric's Hallow petered out. To me that showed just how stupid it was to go there and how Harry and Hermione nearly died because of it. O well though, it didn't kill the movie for me.

Probably my favorite addition though was the dancing scene. It was so melancholy, but hopeful. It really underscored Ron's departure. Although I'm a bit confused why people think it was romantic at all. Harry clearly loves Ginny and Hermione, Ron. To me it showed Harry and Hermione were like brother and sister.

Overall great movie, and I can't wait for part ii. I'm confident it'll be fantastic and all the nitpicky details will be worked out.

The J Pizzel
2010-11-24, 10:32 AM
My favorite addition though was the dancing scene. It was so melancholy, but hopeful. It really underscored Ron's departure. Although I'm a bit confused why people think it was romantic at all. Harry clearly loves Ginny and Hermione, Ron. To me it showed Harry and Hermione were like brother and sister.

My thoughts exactly. I thought it was more like a big brother desperately trying to cheer his little sister up. And they way she immediately turned sad again just showed how much she missed him. I didn't feel it to be romantic in the slightest.

(disclaimer: have never read a single book.)

Jayngfet
2010-11-24, 02:53 PM
Jayngft, now I haven't seen the movie (I know! I couldn't resist!), but wizards are notorious for not really...paying attention to Muggle history. I wouldn't be surprised if they only had a cursory knowledge of WWII and then only how it affected the wizarding world.

Wizards, some of them at least, do make an effort. Hogwarts usually has at least three different branches of muggle studies.

Of course I doubt the Death eaters care about those at all, given their backround.

However now for some reason, every time they need a costume it's invariably from one of the worst muggle groups.

EDIT: Voldemort himself would at least be aware, given before Hogwarts he grew up in WWII era Britan. Even if he didn't pay much attention to the news it'd be rather insane to think he didn't have any idea what a Nazi was or how they turned out. Of course if the matter is adressed it'd probably turn out thats where he got his ideas, because that makes him eeeeevil.

Lioness
2010-11-25, 07:22 AM
I loved the dancing scene, and also the scene in which Hermione obliviated her parents. They were both so well done.

Neither Dobby's nor Hedwig's deaths made me cry. I was a little bit sad. I felt like I should be sad. But I just wasn't.

I loved Scabior, and Yaxley had a really nice accent.

Emma Watson is both brilliant and beautiful. And the thing with George and the toothbrush was hilarious.

I'll definitely be seeing it again.

CrimsonAngel
2010-11-25, 10:32 AM
I like the part when Hermione had to obliviate the bad guy in the little coffee shop. She'll never be able to cast that again without thinking of her parents. :smallfrown:

Lord Seth
2010-11-26, 06:55 PM
Bum Review is up (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/28742-hpdhpart1).

I can actually be glimpsed in the background of the final shot. Not sure if I made it into any other parts of the video (might have been outside of the camera's range, and I only joined in at about the time they were filming the "fighting" part). Wish I had been there for the whole thing. I totally would've made a great Harry Potter, people have told me I look kinda like him...

Starbuck_II
2010-11-26, 07:47 PM
I loved Dobby's moments of awesome.

Everyone in the movie kept forgetting Wizard magic can't impede a house elf (free or otherwise). Dobby told them that in a earlier movie (silly wizards listen to your house elves).

I disliked the shaky camera chases (like the woods one): since borne ultimatum they keep doing those in movies. But the non-shaky scene on the brooms was good.

Luna was perfect.

Syka
2010-11-26, 09:36 PM
I actually liked Hedwig's demise in the film better than the book. It made more sense, and made her death meaningful beyond Harry's only real companion through everything was gone.

I enjoyed the rest of the movie...it really didn't seem like a 2.5 hour movie. They did a decent job of introducing characters that shoulda been introduced two books ago, etc. And the Three Brothers story was just INSPIRED. I want just a short film of that story, for real.

Put me in the camp that saw the dancing as Harry just trying cheer Hermoine up. Freaking LOVED Hermoine's reaction to Ron coming back. It was fantastic.

When Hermoine comments on the books falling over, though, Boyfriend gave me a nudge. That is sooo something I would do. :smallbiggrin:

Also, shouldn't the Patronus that led Harry to the lake been a goat? It definitely looked like a doe to me. :smallconfused:

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-26, 11:16 PM
The patronus at the lake is Snape's, which is a doe, not Aberforth's, which is a goat.

_Zoot_
2010-11-27, 01:40 AM
I thought that it was good, some bits better than others, the guy that played Harry when he was in the ministry was great, you could really see him being scary and evil... Just you know, not right now
:smallbiggrin:

And, unlike many people it would seem, I didn't mind the running in the forest, I went it to it expecting a Saving Private Ryan like amount of shaking, it really wasn't that bad at all... And I did try to count, there were some positively long shots, up to three full seconds!

Viera Champion
2010-11-27, 08:24 AM

Not true. WWII almost definitely affected the wizarding world too. It's a freaking war. Also, lots of wizards know muggle history, considering the increasing number of halfbloods and mudbloods in the world, not to mention courses such as Muggle Studies at schools like Hogwarts.

SuperPanda
2010-11-27, 08:43 AM
That depends on your definition of suicide. It being Wormtail's hand, it was technically...involuntary suicide?:smallconfused:

I think death by Voldemort counts as "Natural Causes" in the line of work Wormtail was in. To hesitate when the boss tells you to do something probably counts as suicide as well.

Fri
2010-11-27, 11:11 AM
Good movie, might be the best Harry Potter movie yet.

Too bad that I dislike the book, might be my least liked Harry Potter. Ugh, it's only because I built myself up for a heartracing romp across the world, adventuring for horcruxes in exotic places and got people camping in a wood doing nothing for half the book. What a letdown. They're finally adults and not going to hogwarts anymore and can unleash magic unhibited!

But yeah, cool movie.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-27, 11:25 AM
Too bad that I dislike the book, might be my least liked Harry Potter. Ugh, it's only because I built myself up for a heartracing romp across the world, adventuring for horcruxes in exotic places and got people camping in a wood doing nothing for half the book. What a letdown. They're finally adults and not going to hogwarts anymore and can unleash magic unhibited!
Oh really? I found it to be one of my favourites. My order:

1st: The Prisoner of Azkaban (Lupin.)
2nd: The Sorcerer's Stone (Do I need a reason?)
3rd: The Deathly Hallows (Just did. Took a little to get into, but still felt it was well paced out.)
4th: The Half-Blood Prince (I like the intrigue, and the suspense.)
5th: The Order of the Phoenix/The Goblet of Fire (I have mixed feelings on the both of these)
7th: The Chamber of Secrets (Only one I haven't evere re-read.)

LOTRfan
2010-11-28, 09:16 AM
"Dobby did not mean to kill... only to maim, or seriously injure." :smallbiggrin:

I see the writers decided to give Hedwig a more honorable death. Killed protecting Harry instead of dropping like a rag doll in her cage.

That would ruin the ending, no? I'm sure they will get back to it, when Snape is dying, for a more dramatic reveal.

Theodoriph
2010-11-28, 09:33 AM
Harry didn't take Moody's eye.

That pissed me off so much.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 09:35 AM
Oh really? I found it to be one of my favourites. My order:

1st: The Prisoner of Azkaban (Lupin.)
2nd: The Sorcerer's Stone (Do I need a reason?)
3rd: The Deathly Hallows (Just did. Took a little to get into, but still felt it was well paced out.)
4th: The Half-Blood Prince (I like the intrigue, and the suspense.)
5th: The Order of the Phoenix/The Goblet of Fire (I have mixed feelings on the both of these)
7th: The Chamber of Secrets (Only one I haven't evere re-read.)

My order goes something like 4 > 5 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 7.

7 had pacing problems all over the place, and then that ending. Ugh.

The New Bruceski
2010-11-28, 01:38 PM
Umbridge needs to be held up as a character who was defined by the movies. It's the same character as the books, of course, but it's emphasized so much by the visual aspects of the pink and cats and smugness. She's played so wonderfully contrary to type that she spins back around to sinister. Kind of Blofeld-esque.

cleric_of_BANJO
2010-11-28, 02:00 PM

I agree completely, but for a slightly different reason. Seven wasn't awful; but, unfortunately, about two weeks before it was released, I downloaded a leaked version, hoping to read it early. I could tell it was a fanfic, because the style was nothing like Rowling's. However, after reading both the real book and the fanfic, I enjoyed the fanfic much, much more. I guess I'm just disappointed that an average joe writing a fanfic can do a better job that Rowling.

In any case, here's my order (I think): 4 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 2 > 5 > 6. I just could not stand the sixth book.

Back to the movie though, there was one thing that bothered me more than any other, and I don't even think it's been mentioned. What the heck happened to the Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore?! I mean, Hermione picks it up at Bathilda's then shows Harry the picture of Grindelwald, but that's it! In the book there are 2 or 3 pages dedicated to a huge passage from the book. In it, you find out about Dumbledore's past, about his sister, Kendra, about Aberforth, and everything related to their history. You also learn about Dumbledore's relationship to Grindelwald.

This is crucial information; in fact, this character development was probably my favorite part of the 7th book. It was unexpected and very well explained. I guess they're going to cram it into the second movie. After all, the first one covered about 3/4 of the book, so they'll have to add some things in to the second half.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-28, 02:16 PM

B-B-Buuuuuuu. What? What about the ending? It was great!

LOTRfan
2010-11-28, 02:40 PM
I have to agree with you. Why is the Deathly Hallows so low on everyone's list?

Illieas
2010-11-28, 04:41 PM
I watched it on saturday. and it was the most faithful to the book but as a movie was not as good. first part was very action pack and also humourous. fluer as potter. and the line "we're identical".

then the middle part which in movie terms is way too slow. I get it they are outcasts in woods with a feeling of hopelessness. did you really need to do LOTR showing all of England's national parks. did you really need a good 70% of the film slowly figuring out the puzzle. if you cut out half the time nothing would have been lost nothing at all.

last part was fine good action and helplessness with hermione and they could do nothing till dobby made it. only problem talking is not a free action. his line "dobby is free elf" could have been used to aperate right then and there instead of "dobby is free elf" dramatic pause, reaction shot, and slowly grab hand aperate out is awkward

I thought the problem with the film is that it would have been better one film. and extremely long film like LOTR extended cut long film. but since they needed two films that middle part they extended out way past its welome

Fri
2010-11-28, 04:58 PM

Well, I've said my reason.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 04:59 PM

It would have been better as two books, it had to do too much in one. And the ending reads like it was written first before anything else and then just pasted in verbatim. It wasn't very much of an ending and felt like something off of fanfiction.net.

And yeah, totally squandered the potential of a not-in-Hogwarts book.

Lillith
2010-11-28, 06:55 PM
For the people who are interested, the Bum review of this movie has been released. I'm not sure if I found it funnier or less funnier then the normal reviews, but it captured the story quite well. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-28, 07:09 PM
I really enjoyed the Deathly Hallows, except for the infamous epilogue. I think it should have just ended with Harry saying "I want a sandwich."

My order goes 3 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 5 > 1 > 2

LOTRfan
2010-11-28, 07:28 PM
I just saw the bum review. That was.... interesting, to say the least.

RUN!!! :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-28, 07:32 PM
Except for your placement of #1, our runnings are pretty similar.

While I loved the epilouge, I hope they don't do it in the movie. Their's no way they an do it right.

Lord Seth
2010-11-28, 07:38 PM
I just saw the bum review. That was.... interesting, to say the least.

RUN!!! :smallbiggrin:I can be seen in the back row of the final shot!

Theodoriph
2010-11-29, 05:38 PM
2>1>7>6>5>4>3

Three was easily the worst movie in the series. They completely bastardised the school, the school grounds, the clothing, the characters ... everything. Four was terriblly unfaithful to the book and seemed like nothing more than the usual boring action movie that comes out these days.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-29, 08:20 PM
2>1>7>6>5>4>3

Three was easily the worst movie in the series. They completely bastardised the school, the school grounds, the clothing, the characters ... everything. Four was terriblly unfaithful to the book and seemed like nothing more than the usual boring action movie that comes out these days.

I think everyone else was talking about books. If you want movies...

7 (P1 anyway) > 5 > 6 > 1 = 4 = 2 > 3

Nomrom
2010-11-29, 11:46 PM
I saw this a couple days ago. It was definitely my favorite movie so far. I didn't really like the first and second ones, and i just thought the rest were ok. I never actually did see the sixth one though. I was pretty surprised I liked it though, cuz the seventh was easily my least favorite book in the series. I wasn't even planning on seeing the movie cuz I disliked the book so much. But I thought it turned out really well, and I'm actually pretty excited to see the second part when it comes out.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-30, 11:00 AM
2>1>7>6>5>4>3

Actually I liked movie three the most, the overall tone of the movie seemed better suited to the start of the more "mature" part of the series. Just me though

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-30, 11:18 AM
The effects of the third movie were good, but they LEFT OUT THE PLOT. 5 minutes of exposition, explaining who the marauders were, would have made the movie passable. How the hell is the shape of Harry's patronus significant if he doesn't know who Prongs was?
The quidditch matches are one of my favorite things about the 3rd book too, but I can understand them taking that out.

cdstephens
2010-12-01, 03:03 AM
Did no one else start crying when Hermione was being tortured? :smallfrown:

Lillith
2010-12-01, 11:14 AM
Not really. I was too busy wondering if Bellatrix was biting her arm or not.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-01, 11:33 AM
Likewise. I thought she was just chewing on her, like they'd gotten Bellatrix confused with Fenrir Greyback or something.

Obrysii
2010-12-01, 12:08 PM
I really enjoyed the Deathly Hallows, except for the infamous epilogue. I think it should have just ended with Harry saying "I want a sandwich."

I disliked Deathly Hallows for many of the reasons stated here.

My order of favorite books (and movies) goes:

6 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 > 7

Lioness
2010-12-03, 07:22 AM
Did no one else start crying when Hermione was being tortured? :smallfrown:

No, but BF was saying how good her screams sounded...:smallconfused:

I cried during the dancing bit though. That was...awwwww

Starbuck_II
2010-12-03, 09:22 AM
Likewise. I thought she was just chewing on her, like they'd gotten Bellatrix confused with Fenrir Greyback or something.

Nah, she is bat-poop crazy enough to bite her.

cdstephens
2010-12-03, 03:59 PM
No, but BF was saying how good her screams sounded...:smallconfused:

I cried during the dancing bit though. That was...awwwww

That's not screwed up or anything....

Sipex
2010-12-03, 04:10 PM
That's not screwed up or anything....

I think she means "He liked how realistic the screams seemed. She's a good actress."

Unless he took some sort of sick pleasure from her screams. But innocent until proven guilty and whatnot.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-03, 04:12 PM
Not really. I was too busy wondering if Bellatrix was biting her arm or not.
This. Also, it looked like she might've been raping her, so yeah.

LOTRfan
2010-12-03, 05:01 PM

I didn't actually consider that. Quite disturbing. :smallyuk:

I was surprised they yanked the part about Ron going crazy while hearing the screams, trying to apparate his way out to rescue her (getting splinched multiple times in the process).

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-03, 05:04 PM
I didn't actually consider that. Quite disturbing. :smallyuk:
Raping, biting, or both?

I was surprised they yanked the part about Ron going crazy while hearing the screams, trying to apparate his way out to rescue her (getting splinched multiple times in the process).
1 Splinch made the entire audince suck in their collective breath/say, "Oooooh." Multiple splinches would've been too gory. Honestly, I didn't remember that part.

LOTRfan
2010-12-03, 05:13 PM
The raping part. From that angle, I thought she was biting her. I only remember the Cruciatus curse.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-04, 08:25 AM

I was actually pissed that they took that part out. And I thought I was the only one to notice...

The Glyphstone
2010-12-04, 08:41 AM

I'll never be able to watch, or read, that scene again without thinking about your comment. Grats, you have turned Harry Potter into Squick for me.:smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-04, 08:42 AM
I'll never be able to watch, or read, that scene again without thinking about your comment. Grats, you have turned Harry Potter into Squick for me.:smallbiggrin:

You think all Greyback was going to do was eat her?

The Glyphstone
2010-12-04, 08:58 AM
You think all Greyback was going to do was eat her?

Greyback was a different case, since he's basically a child molester expy and rather one-dimensional Complete Monster - even explicitly mentions that he 'likes them young', though I think he's discussing Ginny then. The rape/infect/eat (or multiple of the above) was sort of implied. Bellatrix, though, I've never in all my readings of the book considered anything except torture, whether knife or magic-based.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-06, 07:10 PM

Hey, hey, no problem. :smallwink:

Starbuck_II
2010-12-06, 07:19 PM

Dude you're a Eldritch Horror from the depths, they can be squicked?

Worira
2010-12-06, 09:37 PM
It was an excellent adaptation of a very boring half-book. In fact, I'd say it was quite a bit better. Still, kept from being an especially good movie by the source material.

Also, the "Suddenly Nazis!" was done just as hamhandedly as in the book, if not more so.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-06, 10:02 PM
Dude you're a Eldritch Horror from the depths, they can be squicked?

All sorts of things that humans do squick out Eldritch Horrors. Hamburgers, for instance - what sort of twisted minds do you have to want to kill food before you eat it, let alone cook the remains? Or toast - there's so many more interesting uses for fire than charring something that you can't hear scream.

Jayngfet
2010-12-09, 12:55 AM

THANK YOU. I was thinking just that in the scene. The whole scene gave off this grimy, awful rape-y aura.

SilentNight
2010-12-09, 02:12 AM
Bit late I know but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

It was an excellent adaptation of a very boring half-book. In fact, I'd say it was quite a bit better. Still, kept from being an especially good movie by the source material.

Also, the "Suddenly Nazis!" was done just as hamhandedly as in the book, if not more so.

Agreed, the propaganda pieces were good, but I felt the SA uniforms on the Ministry guards were overkill. (The SA were the paramilitary arm of the Nazi party before they came to power.)

Overall though I enjoyed it, some great humor bits nice effects. The main three have definitely matured into good actors and their dopplegangers in the Ministry were fantastic.

Also, Dobby may now be one of my favorite characters in the series, to think I hated him when I first read the second book. Geez, there's a trip, I was 5 or so when the first book came out.

Syka
2010-12-09, 10:43 AM
I was right around the 12-13 range, I believe, when we first got the series. It was not long after it came out in the States and waay before Pottermania. Over a decade later, and I still re-read the series. >>

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-09, 11:12 AM
I was 9 or so when I got the first book, almost right after it came out in '98. I got it on the airbase while we were in Germany.
I still reread the books too. :smallbiggrin: At least one of the books ends up being reread during every summer break.

DomaDoma
2010-12-09, 11:28 AM
I came into the fandom between the third and fourth books' release. This isn't generally considered the Pottermania period, but even so, Harry Potter had made the cover of TIME by that point, and I was actually pressured into reading it by the Cool Kids (the one good thing they ever did for me), so collective memory is a tad faulty.

I think that timing colored me as a total Marauder partisan from then on, aheh.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-12, 05:34 PM
THANK YOU. I was thinking just that in the scene. The whole scene gave off this grimy, awful rape-y aura.

Glad I'm not the only Sicko.

Flame of Anor
2011-01-11, 11:16 PM

Glad I'm not the only Sicko.

I saw it like that, too. I'm still not convinced there wasn't something of that sort going on off camera, if you know what I mean. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GettingCrapPastTheRadar)

SmartAlec
2011-01-12, 05:55 PM
Well, I've said my reason.

The odd thing about Deathly Hallows is that although the protagonists are no longer at Hogwarts, the book is still written to fit with the academic year, as with all the books. The final battle comes at the end of term, etc. Possibly this results in a bit too much filler to stretch things out to that point.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-12, 06:38 PM
I saw it like that, too. I'm still not convinced there wasn't something of that sort going on off camera, if you know what I mean. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GettingCrapPastTheRadar)

All the good stuff happens off screen. :smallsigh:

The Linker
2011-01-13, 11:00 AM

I adored that. I would love to see a whole production in that style. Absolutely beautiful.

(Just to pick a random quote on the subject.)

I personally loved that scene (and should point out I never read the books). When the music is playing and Harry just gets up, I remember my thought process something "Aw, no, they're not going to do some dumb falling-in-love dance scene please don't please don't please don't please wow this is actually really sweet!"

By that point in the story, I felt it getting very depressing and hopeless for the characters, and I saw the dancing as a friend trying to cheer a friend up. Extremely well-needed, but nothing more. I really found it fantastic that they pulled off a non-romantic sappy dance scene.

And the ending reads like it was written first before anything else and then just pasted in verbatim. It wasn't very much of an ending and felt like something off of fanfiction.net.

As far as I know, that's what happened, or sort of. Back when she was writing the fifth book or something, I think I saw an interview with her (a 'this is what my work day is like' type thing) where, at the end, she held up this envelope and says "I've already got the last chapter written. Right here." I remember wondering how a writer could do that. Now I can certainly come up with a few god reasons. Just confused me back then.

I did hear a good point though. The movie is supposed to be about the Hallows, right? So why didn't we see the Invisibility Cloak at all?

Cause it was an Invisibility Cloak.

Sorry. I'll just go ahead and smack myself.

*whack*

Dvandemon
2011-02-17, 10:44 PM

I can't see it. For me, it was narmy to see her put her head over her arm and Hermione to scream like she was cutting her heart out (although I did find it chilling). Rape just sounds, beyond ridiculous; "Tell me what you know or else I'll keep molesting you, you filthy, supple young MUDBLOOD!". Unless..you're using the archaic definition of rape :smalltongue: