PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cool Prestige Class

Farlion
2010-11-19, 04:36 AM
The dimly lit alley seems all but a safe place to be, nevertheless Norrik heads straight for it, the blood in his head thumping, tears rolling down his face. Noone should see him like this, not now, not ever. As a decorated war veteran, he is celebrated, loved, adored by all but himself. Hate thrives in him, what he did, he can never fogive. All the good he wanted to bring to this world, smothered by his service in the army. Ordered to slaughter helpless, innocents, he never forgot the faces. Like today, sometimes a person in the crowd looks exactly like one of the faces, Norriks sense start to diminish, his heart starts beating, he loses control. That's when he flees, away from everyone, to be on his own. Trying to forget, not wanting to forget, owing it to his victims to stay remembered.

So, just a little introduction to what I'd like to play in my next round.

What am I looking for?

A build for a war veteran with one arm (no flaw, just fluff).

Race: Human
Stats: 32 Pointbuy
Books: PHB1/2, the complete series and Unearthed Arcana.
Optimization level: intermediate (to make up for the missing arm and to not outshine the rest of the party)

So far I've gotten a Swashbuckler/Rogue build going into Einhander tactical feat. But you might have some good ideas as well.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Farlion

HunterOfJello
2010-11-19, 04:48 AM
Master of Masks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=3) 1 dip

You can get the Gladiator Mask to wear which gives you proficiency in ALL Exotic Weapons.

Gladiator: This wyvern-hide mask is shaped like the face of a grim warrior. Scars cover its surface, and silver chainmail rings surround its outer edge.

You gain proficiency with all martial and exotic weapons. You also gain a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls. As you advance in the master of masks class, you become more expert in weapon use: This bonus improves to +2 at 4th level, +3 at 7th level, and +4 at 10th level.

Your alignment appears to be neutral while you wear a gladiator mask.

Since you can only use 1 hand to fight with, you might as well choose to fight with the best one-handed weapons out there. The Quick Draw feat will allow you to freely switch between a Flindbar, Kusari-Gama, Quickblade Rapier, Great Scimitar, Gnome Swordcatcher, and Whip-Dagger. Use the d20 index (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) for reference to all sorts of nice exotic weapons.
~

Since you're a human you could also gain access to the Chameleon PrC. That class is from Races of Destiny however.

~

GiTP has our own special Rogue Handbook: A Fistful of d6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233) which lists the good suggestsions of Assassin/Avenger, Shadow Thief of Amn, Unseen Seer, Arcane Trickster, Chameleon, Invisible Blade, and Nightsong Enforcer.

I don't know which of those are on your approved list, but Avenger is great and is online.

*one more edit*

Be absolutely 100% sure to grab the Daring Outlaw feat. It stacks your swashbuckler and rogue levels, which is a must-have.

Farlion
2010-11-19, 05:34 AM
Hey there!

Thanks alot. I'm already using the daring outlaw feat, it was actually what gave me the idea for this whole build.

The Master of Masks dip would be awesome, but the problem is (I know, I forgot ot mention it) I'm only allowed two base classes + 1 prestige class.

Now the build doesn't have to be all in the direction of the sneaky roguish class. It could also be something like Fighter/Paladin + Kensai (just an example).

I'd just like to have a semi optimized melee build that works with 1 arm and isnt your classical ubercharger/chaintripper.

I'm thinking: Could something along the way of Jacb B Quick work with the books I mentioned?

Cheers,
Farlion

Lev
2010-11-19, 05:44 AM
First thought that comes to mind is this:

Pop your Complete Scoundrel open to page 24, you'll see Avenging Executioner which adapted into PTSD war veteran flipouts makes for a hugely cinimatic VERY scary fella to be around.

Crunch: A melee sneak attack AoE debuffer, he generally can debuff to a range of 30', resisted by will saves but nonetheless quite distracting so you could even count this as AoO provoking to some DMs

Fluff: War veteran with flashbacks, his PTSD triggers his avenging executioner POW traumas and he flips out and starts biting people's throats out and jumping on people and stabbing them to death.

true_shinken
2010-11-19, 05:48 AM
Jack B. Quick (and most weapon style feats) require TWF, so tough luck with just one arm :/
What level are we talking about here?
I have a handbook focused on optimizing Einhander and related feats here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866290/A_short_guide_to_defensive_fighting), maybe it will help you.

Farlion
2010-11-19, 06:31 AM
Allright, thanks alot so far guys!

I will look into the Avenging Executioner and the duelist PrC.

Further Question: How can you dish out some damage as a duelist? To me it seems a defensive only Prestige Class (precise strike is the only offensive special ability they get).

Cheers,
Farlion

true_shinken
2010-11-19, 06:48 AM
Further Question: How can you dish out some damage as a duelist? To me it seems a defensive only Prestige Class (precise strike is the only offensive special ability they get).

If you are set on Duelist, you need something else for damage. Those gauntlets that add +3 damage if you worship a god of war are a good start.

As much as I like Duelit's fluff, it's a pretty weak class.

KellKheraptis
2010-11-19, 07:24 AM
Jack B. Quick (and most weapon style feats) require TWF, so tough luck with just one arm :/
What level are we talking about here?
I have a handbook focused on optimizing Einhander and related feats here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866290/A_short_guide_to_defensive_fighting), maybe it will help you.

Not true at all. Armor Spikes are a perfectly valid second weapon, and don't require a second arm ;) Just saying.

Farlion
2010-11-19, 07:36 AM
Not true at all. Armor Spikes are a perfectly valid second weapon, and don't require a second arm ;) Just saying.

And how would that work? Sounds really neat, at least fluffwise.

't is a long story how I lost my arm, just remember, your greatest weapon is your body, use it wisely and you're never unarmed.

true_shinken
2010-11-19, 07:36 AM

If there is a weapon style feat for one-handed weapon + armor spikes that does what Jack B Quick does, then I stand corrected.

Farlion
2010-11-19, 07:45 AM
Here some new ideas.

Barbarian with intimidating rage and intimidating strike (which both make your target shaken). Then go into avenging executioner for additional fear.

How does that sound as the crazy war veteran?

Cheers,
Farlion

true_shinken
2010-11-19, 07:51 AM
Here some new ideas.

Barbarian with intimidating rage and intimidating strike (which both make your target shaken). Then go into avenging executioner for additional fear.

How does that sound as the crazy war veteran?

Looks nice. Look into Zhent Fighter as well.

Farlion
2010-11-19, 07:59 AM
Looks nice. Look into Zhent Fighter as well.

Where is that from? (Never heard of it actually =)

Cheers,
Farlion

Tael
2010-11-19, 08:08 AM
Beg your DM to give you an extra feat. You have one arm for christ's sake. That's way worse than most of the listed flaws.

Also: Zhent Fighter Zhentarium Fighter, a set of ACF's from the Champion's of Valor (Faerun book) web enhancement. They let you Demoralize in combat better, and eventually as a Swift action.

Greenish
2010-11-19, 08:12 AM
Where is that from? (Never heard of it actually =)Champions of Valor web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a).

It consist of three fighter substitution levels (3rd, 5th and 9th, if my memory serves) that focus on Intimidate, and better yet, lose nothing.

You could also grab Dungeoncrasher from Dungeonscape, you don't need two hands for bull rushing, so it sounds like a tactic a one-handed war veteran could use.

[Edit]: 5th, not 7th.

true_shinken
2010-11-19, 09:00 AM
Champions of Valor web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a).

It consist of three fighter substitution levels (3rd, 5th and 9th, if my memory serves) that focus on Intimidate, and better yet, lose nothing.

You could also grab Dungeoncrasher from Dungeonscape, you don't need two hands for bull rushing, so it sounds like a tactic a one-handed war veteran could use.

[Edit]: 5th, not 7th.

Dungeoncrashing Zhent Fighter with Knockback and flight is awesome. If single-handedly smacking an opponent ten times your size to the ground does noo scream veteran warrior, I don't know what it does.