PDA

View Full Version : Changes in edition rules (D&D)

Malificus
2010-11-19, 06:13 AM
Right now, I'm working on a dungeon of elemental chaos in an E6 game, and thought that using rules from different editions would help make the area strange, and help express the chaos. Like using 4E grid movement in one room, and 3E in an adjacent one. So you have a square room, next to one that is both a square and a circle.

But for all my desire to try doing this, I really only know 3.5 rules, and that in 4E, moving diagonally takes only one square of movement. Does anyone else have useful role differences I can make use of, or will I need to resort to different tricks (like rooms that act like the surface of a cube, or other tricks that aren't rule based)

AstralFire
2010-11-19, 06:31 AM
You're going to need to restrict this to differences that are both very quickly noticeable and have clear analogues, otherwise you're just going to give yourself and the players a headache. Grid movement is too subtle and pervasive, imo.

Malificus
2010-11-19, 07:10 AM
You're going to need to restrict this to differences that are both very quickly noticeable and have clear analogues, otherwise you're just going to give yourself and the players a headache. Grid movement is too subtle and pervasive, imo.

Since I don't know any other rules I could try using, that leaves me just changing stuff regardless. Which I can work with fine, but I though rule changes might have been cool.

Otherwise I still have stuff like:

Rooms that operate like a cube (2 rights brings you where you started, 4 rooms in any direction gets you where you started)
Gravity that works backwards
Water standing like a wall, or even a ceiling, which works with how the structure is underwater
In vein with the last one, fish swimming in the air, and land based things in the water
sideways doors for sideways rooms

Which I supposed is good enough, but I thought the rule thing might have been cool.

SaintRidley
2010-11-20, 05:43 PM
Could throw some obstacles and traps based off earlier editions' spells and such.

Urpriest
2010-11-20, 05:50 PM
4e's square fireballs and the like could be fun, and would be very noticeable if you have a caster who likes area spells. Every spell area in 4e is a cube, including cones.

Also, hex grids can be amusing, as OotS has demonstrated.

nedz
2010-11-20, 06:04 PM
You could use my all time favourite spell; from 2E's Tome of Magic: Inverted Ethics. Basically (rough 3e translation in brackets) if you fail the save (err, probably will) you (AOE say 20' burst) behave in (duration probably 1 min / level) a contrary manner. Note: you DO NOT change alignment, but if you were, say, about to steal something then you would give something away instead. Rather than a coup de grace, you would bind their wounds, etc. This is possibly the most amusing trap to put on a chest I can think of, but has so many other uses.
Anyway - just a thought.:smallcool: